Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 262 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2015, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
VOB sounds like DVD, not Blu-Ray...?

That's correct sir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
It does scrape, but as I said the weird part is that it will show runtime if I use an encoded video but it does not when I do a 1:1 on a .vob file.

When playing the actual file you can pause the movie and the correct time remaining is correct. My problem is before the movie is even played, out in the movie menu the field for runtime is blank. I don't have this problem with encoded files.

My front end that I use is Mediaportal.
If you can edit the movie data, just do so. The MediaPortal documentation for that is here. That will solve the immediate problem of missing data. As for why it behaves that way, I have no clue. Have you tried the MediaPortal forum? Surely someone else has encountered the issue.

I use PCH with a third party database manager.

Jeff
Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
As I understand the deal, if I want to rip a commercial BD to a hard drive, as a minimum I will need 1) a computer drive that reads BDs and 2) the AnyDVD HD software which costs 79 euros (currently $85). Is this correct?

And something like the free ImgBurn will be needed to do the actual ripping, but it's AnyDVD HD that makes this possible (?).
You need a Blu-ray drive (either internal or external) and there are a number of programs which can make a rip. MakeMKV is not the easiest but it's free.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions for my little problem.

I looked at VLC but it's conversion abilities seem limited - all it gave me was sample freq and bit rate choices - no bit depth.

I persevered with eac3to and eventually figured it out, however after conversion I tried to play the FLAC tracks and all I got was silence ! My processor showed 7.1 PCM input but there was no sound.

I think the problem may be the DTS decoder - I didn't download anything from arcsoft and just used eac3to exactly as downloaded. It didn't throw up any errors and appeared to do the conversion OK, but now I'm thinking this may have been my problem.

What I've done to keep me going is to use DVDFab to rip to MKV just the audio as pass through and it plays fine as 7.1 DTS HD-MA.

I'll probably download the arcsoft DTS decoder and give eac3to another try.

Cheers,
Get it from here - http://www.dll-found.com/dtsdecoderd..._download.html

In MakeMKV, you have to select the advanced options and there is a spot where you specify the location of the DTS-HD decoder DLL file. Then it should work correctly. FLAC, in my experience, outcompresses LPCM, DTS-HD MA and Dolby TRUEHD so there's no reason not to use FLAC unless your playback system doesn't support it.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
If you can edit the movie data, just do so. The MediaPortal documentation for that is here. That will solve the immediate problem of missing data. As for why it behaves that way, I have no clue. Have you tried the MediaPortal forum? Surely someone else has encountered the issue.

I use PCH with a third party database manager.

Jeff

Oh I know how to edit it manually. I was just wondering if this was an inherent problem with 1:1 vob's/m2ts? I actually haven't tried out an m2ts to see if the same problem is there.

What is PCH and does it also give you the same problem m seeing?
Old 05-07-2015, 05:20 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Oh I know how to edit it manually. I was just wondering if this was an inherent problem with 1:1 vob's/m2ts? I actually haven't tried out an m2ts to see if the same problem is there.

What is PCH and does it also give you the same problem m seeing?
A-300, and I only do 1:1 BD rips ... main movie, lossless audio and, if needed, subtitles. Some movies I need to manually match, and some concert BDs I need to completely enter manually. But I have never had the issue you are having.

Try the Mediaportal forum!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Get it from here - http://www.dll-found.com/dtsdecoderd..._download.html

In MakeMKV, you have to select the advanced options and there is a spot where you specify the location of the DTS-HD decoder DLL file. Then it should work correctly. FLAC, in my experience, outcompresses LPCM, DTS-HD MA and Dolby TRUEHD so there's no reason not to use FLAC unless your playback system doesn't support it.
Question - with MKV, is less compression better? So there is an option in MKV for FLAC, hence a smaller file?

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Old 05-07-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Question - with MKV, is less compression better? So there is an option in MKV for FLAC, hence a smaller file?
FLAC is lossless compression so it does no harm to the original quality.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 05-07-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
.mkv is the video container, does not compress. The video codec is what compresses (i.e. H264, H265, MPEG-2, VC1 etc). MakeMKV won't add any compression. If you want to compress the video, you'll need something like Handbrake or Vidcoder. All MakeMKV is doing is taking the titles, audio tracks and subtitles you choose and dumps them into an .mkv container.

As for the audio, FLAC is lossless compression meaning that it compresses it a little in order to save space, but no information is discarded, hence why it is called lossless compression. But upon decompression it perfectly recreates the source. The problem is that it's not really supported in home video the way that PCM, DTS and Dolby are since FLAC isn't part of the DVD or Blu-ray spec. That's why with Blu-ray ripping you'll hear a lot of people who convert the lossless track to 640kbps DD 5.1.

Last edited by hogger129; 05-11-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old Today, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question about BD movies with multiply threads. I use anydvd and typically open the files, find the longest stream, and copy to my hard drive ( takes 30-45 min). I have searched this thread for several days and tried several different approaches but have not come up with a good solution. I downloaded BD clone and it selected the correct playlist. I selected the ISO I had made with anydvd but it indicated it was going to take over 4 hours to do the conversion. Does anyone know a quicker way to get a playable copy for my WD Hub. Thanks for any help.

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player