Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7921 of 8004 Old 06-12-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 200
The Duff has a thousand fake playlists type setup. I did a search for it with no luck... Anyone know which playlist ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 8004 Old 06-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
The Duff has a thousand fake playlists type setup. I did a search for it with no luck... Anyone know which playlist ?
Try 217 00660.MPLS (01:41:15)
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #7923 of 8004 Old 06-12-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I'll try it now thanks.
post #7924 of 8004 Old 06-13-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Has anyone tried to rip/back up their PS3/PS4/Xbox One Games?
post #7925 of 8004 Old 06-13-2015, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Clown_BD

I have been sucssfully using Clown_BD for a couple of years now, but recently I am having trouble with movies that have audio in .thd+ac3 format. I go through the cycle of demuxing (looking for
forced subtitles) and remuxing using the included tsMuxR, I get a .m2ts file with good video, but no audio. I leave the Clown_BD "Output Audio Format" set to Unconverted, which is what I have always done. What am I doing wrong?
post #7926 of 8004 Old 06-14-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknoxsvill View Post
I havent. Isn't that a good way to get A console ban?
post #7927 of 8004 Old 06-15-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknoxsvill View Post
I only did with my Wii, never looked in to with the other consoles.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #7928 of 8004 Old 06-16-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I was checking out some 1:1 DVD rips and noticed how crappy looking cuvid does with ivtc compared to tomsmocomp. What are you guys using for your ivtc solution?
post #7929 of 8004 Old 06-27-2015, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Forced Subtitles

I'm using Pavtube BDMagic to rip my blu-ray collection. I'm having problems with the forced subtitles for the Game of Thrones discs. The video and audio rip just fine but no subtitles are shown. All the other movies i've ripped have worked just fine. I'm thinking it is something to do with how the subtitle track is stored but i'm not sure how to fix the problem. I'm including a screenshot of my settings for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	799026  
post #7930 of 8004 Old 07-02-2015, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Various question about ripping a BR (sub losing sync, etc).

Hey,
I' m new to the whole bdrip process and I have a few questions.

First, here is what I am trying to do: get the video, the main audio track, and the eng subtitles from a br, and remux the three files into an mkv.

Here is how I do it: (the ripping process went fine so I will just skip it) I used bdinfo to figure out which playlist I need (movie:Wall-E). Once done, I loaded it in tsmuxer and I located the video, the main audio track, and the eng subs I want. I demuxed the files and so far, everything seemed ok. During the demuxing process, I got 22 overlapping frames that got deleted. I used mkvtoolnix to make an mkv. Everything went smoothly. Upon playback of the mkv, it looks as if there is no problem but after a while, the subs start to progressively lose sync, and by the end of the movie, they are about 1-2 seconds behind. Also, when moving back and forth, it takes one or two seconds for the sound to load.

I tried doing the same thing with eac3to (same movie). I demuxed the same files and the audio file only got 2 overlaping frames deleted this time. All 3 files differ from those I got when using tsmuxer (different crc32, sha1, and md5). I rebuilt the movie with mkvtoolnix and this time, the subs are well sync throughout the whole movie, and plus, I also have no problem going back and forth when playing the movie, everything is smooth. Now since it is an animation movie, the audio could be a little bit out of sync but it' s hard to say since the character's lips aren't perfectly synced with the audio to begin with (animation).

I did the exact same process with another movie, and this time, no overlapping frames (with both eac3to and tsmuxer), and I get identical video and audio tracks (the sub track still have different hashes). Both mkv play fine and seem to be identical (well, they are not 1:1 identical since the source .sup used differ).

Here are my questions:

- What is the best tool to demux a br? tsmuxer and eac3to both give different result when dealing with a seamless branching br (Wall-E) so I assume that one of them must give files closer to what they are on the br (what I want). The subs are also non identical when taken fron eac3to and tsmuxer.
- Why eac3to and tsmuxer disagree on the number of overlapping frame (Wall-E)?
- Why are the subs losing sync little by little when the files come from a tsmuxer demux? Is it because the audio track was trimmed and thus became a little shorter while the subs didn t?
- What would be the best player for mkv playback on a pc?
- Is it possible when loading a playlist to remove a m2ts file? If yes, will the audio track and the sub get trimmed accordingly?

That's a lot, I know, but I would like to learn

Thanks if you can help.
post #7931 of 8004 Old 07-02-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulala View Post
Hey,

First, here is what I am trying to do: get the video, the main audio track, and the eng subtitles from a br, and remux the three files into an mkv.

Here is how I do it: (the ripping process went fine so I will just skip it) I used bdinfo to figure out which playlist I need (movie:Wall-E). Once done, I loaded it in tsmuxer and I located the video, the main audio track, and the eng subs I want. I demuxed the files and so far, everything seemed ok. During the demuxing process, I got 22 overlapping frames that got deleted. I used mkvtoolnix to make an mkv. Everything went smoothly. Upon playback of the mkv, it looks as if there is no problem but after a while, the subs start to progressively lose sync, and by the end of the movie, they are about 1-2 seconds behind. Also, when moving back and forth, it takes one or two seconds for the sound to load.

I tried doing the same thing with eac3to (same movie). I demuxed the same files and the audio file only got 2 overlaping frames deleted this time. All 3 files differ from those I got when using tsmuxer (different crc32, sha1, and md5). I rebuilt the movie with mkvtoolnix and this time, the subs are well sync throughout the whole movie, and plus, I also have no problem going back and forth when playing the movie, everything is smooth. Now since it is an animation movie, the audio could be a little bit out of sync but it' s hard to say since the character's lips aren't perfectly synced with the audio to begin with (animation).

I did the exact same process with another movie, and this time, no overlapping frames (with both eac3to and tsmuxer), and I get identical video and audio tracks (the sub track still have different hashes). Both mkv play fine and seem to be identical (well, they are not 1:1 identical since the source .sup used differ).

Here are my questions:

- What is the best tool to demux a br? tsmuxer and eac3to both give different result when dealing with a seamless branching br (Wall-E) so I assume that one of them must give files closer to what they are on the br (what I want). The subs are also non identical when taken fron eac3to and tsmuxer.
- Why are the subs losing sync little by little when the files come from a tsmuxer demux? Is it because the audio track was trimmed and thus became a little shorter while the subs didn t?
- Is it possible when loading a playlist to remove a m2ts file? If yes, will the audio track and the sub get trimmed accordingly?

Thanks if you can help.

Quick question, why are you demuxing? You can simplify by doing:
Tsmuxer > load mpls > select wanted streams > output to m2ts > keep the file as m2ts or load to mkvmerge along with chapter info to make mkv.
Or
Do what others do here and use that other bdrip app, which I forget the name of but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

My favorite software player is mpc-hc.

m2ts is a container. It holds all the different audio, video and pgs files. The playlist is an mpls file which just holds info about the m2ts file it is associated with. Think metafile.

If you want totally accurate timing, look into frameserving. Too much to write up on that subject so Google is your best friend [emoji6]
post #7932 of 8004 Old 07-02-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Hey,

Here are my questions:

Thanks if you can help.
I think this whole tedious process can be avoided by using makemkv.
mr266 likes this.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #7933 of 8004 Old 07-03-2015, 04:50 AM

I demuxed the files because I thought that was a necessary step. Thanks for your answers. They brought new questions though!

If I understand well, the biggest m2ts file on the br contains the main video, all its audio tracks, and all its subtitles? What about seamless branching br, each small m2ts contains a part of the movie along with the matching audio tracks (in every language available) and subtitles (in every language available)? What about the chapters, they are not stored in the m2ts file?
If I want the main video, the main audio, and the eng sub, I just need to:
load the playlist in tsmuxer > select the video, main audio track, and the subs > m2ts muxing, and that's it ? What is the point of mkv then?

I tried your solution out of curiosity, and the output m2ts doesn't play in VLC (well, no audio nor subs, video plays fine) whereas the mkv I made before plays well (video, audio, and subs). In mpc hc, they both play fine (m2ts and mkv). So from my understanding, m2ts and mkv are very much alike, but mkv can be played with more players than m2ts. Am I close to understanding the thing? I thought most people chose mkv to keep their rip (or ISO but that's another story), so there must be a reason.
post #7934 of 8004 Old 07-03-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 699
^^You might want to read through the last couple hundred posts in this thread. A lot of what you are asking is in there.
jhughy2010 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7935 of 8004 Old 07-03-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I demuxed the files because I thought that was a necessary step. Thanks for your answers. They brought new questions though!

If I understand well, the biggest m2ts file on the br contains the main video, all its audio tracks, and all its subtitles? What about seamless branching br, each small m2ts contains a part of the movie along with the matching audio tracks (in every language available) and subtitles (in every language available)? What about the chapters, they are not stored in the m2ts file?
load the playlist in tsmuxer > select the video, main audio track, and the subs > m2ts muxing, and that's it ? What is the point of mkv then?

I tried your solution out of curiosity, and the output m2ts doesn't play in VLC (well, no audio nor subs, video plays fine) whereas the mkv I made before plays well (video, audio, and subs). In mpc hc, they both play fine (m2ts and mkv). So from my understanding, m2ts and mkv are very much alike, but mkv can be played with more players than m2ts. Am I close to understanding the thing? I thought most people chose mkv to keep their rip (or ISO but that's another story), so there must be a reason.
+1 what Kelson said... also, whose solution did you try? Makemkv is incredibly easy to use... Try it! I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've never had to use tsmuxer for anything other then enabling flags for forced subtitle tracks.

If you want "the main video, the main audio, and the eng sub" then open the disc in makemkv and select the main video file and audio file and eng sub tracks and press start. That's it!!! No tsmuxer required.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #7936 of 8004 Old 07-04-2015, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mkv and m2ts are containers. Think vhs and Betamax. Both are containers also that will only play on certain machines.
post #7937 of 8004 Old 07-08-2015, 05:27 AM

I read the last 30 pages over the past few days in order to learn more about the blurray backup world. I think I learned a lot, but I would like confirmation for a few things, and some answers that I couldn't find. This is going to be a lengthy post, sorry!

I do a full bd rip using makemkv and get the br on my computer in folder form. No problem.

I really want to get the forced english subtitles that are found on some discs. I read what Kelson wrote. Let ne know if I'm wrong somewhere.
Demuxing all the english subtitles with eac3to seems to be the first step. If subtitles are marked as forced (in the main subtitles track OR in a separate track), eac3to detects them and makes a copy of those forced subtitles in a separate file (if the forced subtitles are already in a separate track, eac3to makes a copy of the track, if they are within the main subtitles track, it creates a file only containing the forced subtitles) and labels it as forced. Using suprip to check every subtitles track is also necessary because sometimes the forced subtitles are in a separate file and are not marked as such (so eac3to doesn't detect them) and need to be identified manually. So all this covers: forced subtitles marked as such in the main track, forced subtitles marked as such in a separate track, and forced subtitles not marked as such in a separate track. Now 2 questions: is it possible to have forced subtitles not marked as such in the main subtitles track, and if yes, how to identify them? and: those 4 scenarios (in the main track marked, in a separate track marked, in the main track not marked (if that is even possible), in a separate track not marked), do they cover every possible way forced subtitles can be stored on a bd?
Bonus questions:
Can the subtitles in an mkv be forced, or this information isn't retained during the demux and remux processes (pretty sure they can be forced, just checking)? Will all player display forced subtitles without problem (I guess not)? Is it possible to modify a .sup file (for example, if the forced subtitles are in a separate track, I might want to include them (still forced) in the main subtitles track so that I only end up with one subtitles track in the mkv and when playing the movie, if I don't select the subtitles track, I still get the forced ones, and if I select the subtitles track, I also get them as well as the others)?
Also, does this list (found in a thread on this forum) cover most of the bd:
movies-forced-subtitles (can't post url since I don't have enough posts yet)

From what I read, eac3to is the best at handling seamless branching when demuxing (I experienced sync problem with tsmuxer). It deletes overlapping frames the right way since v3.25 (had a bug before that would make it delete incorrect frames). Am I correct here?

Out of curiosity, I played a little bit and I checked the hashed (crc32, md5 and sha1) of the main video, audio and english subtitles stream extracted from an eac3to demux. I found something that bugs me.
eac3to>demux and get video1+audio1+subs1>mkvtoolnix mux and get mkv1>demux with tsmuxer and get video2+audio2+subs2>mkvtoolnix mux and get mkv2>demux with tsmuxer and get video3+audio3+subs3>mkvtoolnix mux and get mkv3.
Here is what I found. video2+audio2+subs2 are identical to video3+audio3+subs3 but differ from video1+audio1+subs1. mkv2 and mkv3 differ. That I don't get it since mkv2 and mkv3 are made using files that have the same hashes. They also both differ from mkv1 (that kind of makes sense since the files used to get mkv1 have different hashes from the files used to make mkv2/3).

Sooooooo, what is the meaning of all this? Is it impossible to get the exact same mkv twice when using the exact same files? And how come the first mkv demux doesn't give me back my original files (video1+audio1+subtitles1)? Is tsmuxer at fault?

I kind of realized that mkv1 (made from the original files, video1+audio1+subtitles1) plays better than the others: moving back and forth in the movie is smoother.

Last question: the video, audio and subtitles track extracted with eac3to, they do not retain any chapter information right?

Thanks for reading me!
post #7938 of 8004 Old 07-08-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

@tulala it isn't as complicated as that.

Use makemkv to rip movie. Make sure you select all the english subtitle tracks.

Go here and see if the movie has any English subtitle tracks (foreign speaking parts need English subtitles ... assuming this is what you are asking?).

If the subtitle appears at the part in the movie that the aforementioned link shows then you are golden... no further action needed.

If not, you will use MKVToolNix to edit the MKV file and change the needed subtitle to "forced". It all takes me but about 2 minutes to complete this task from the time makemkv finishes ripping the movie. I change the file name using the same name found on themoviedb.org then immediately play the part of the movie (using MPC-HC) that has the subtitle track. If the subtitles don't appear I left click MPC-HC and change the subtitle until it appears. Then I open MKVtoolNix and go to header editor, open the file, find the corresponding subtitle track, change forced to "yes", save, then play in MPC-HC checking again, if it isn't on then go back to header editor, make the one I just changed to "no" then change the next one to "yes" and that usually does the trick.

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #7939 of 8004 Old 07-08-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

Go here and see if the movie has any English subtitle tracks (foreign speaking parts need English subtitles ... assuming this is what you are asking?).

If the subtitle appears at the part in the movie that the aforementioned link shows then you are golden... no further action needed.
Wow - who upkeeps that spreadsheet?! Gotta be tough since there are so many versions: foreign release, rentals vary between Netflix, Red Box,e tc.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #7940 of 8004 Old 07-08-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
Wow - who upkeeps that spreadsheet?! Gotta be tough since there are so many versions: foreign release, rentals vary between Netflix, Red Box,e tc.
I'm not sure I follow... its editable data so you and I can contribute as well. There are not "so many versions" there is only one version. English subtitles for foreign parts are the same (and in the same place) for retail and rental.

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #7941 of 8004 Old 07-08-2015, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
is it possible to have forced subtitles not marked as such in the main subtitles track
Not to my knowledge.

Quote:
Can the subtitles in an mkv be forced, or this information isn't retained during the demux and remux processes (pretty sure they can be forced, just checking)? Will all player display forced subtitles without problem (I guess not)?
According to the MKV specs the track has to be forced, not single items. AFAIK MPC-HC is the only player that checks for forced items, most standalones don't even check if the track is flagged and thus don't show forced subs automatically.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #7942 of 8004 Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Ripping Blu-Rays II

If you only add forced subs into your files he. You don't have to mark them as forced subs, just tell your player to always play subs if available.

Ok, I suppose for completeness you should tell your decoder to play subs always since some people, like me, use a different decoder than the one the player came with.

I've seen some odd dubbed movies that did not have subs marked as forced even though they are clearly the forced files being that there are less than 25 lines on the whole track.

Last edited by DotJun; 07-08-2015 at 11:08 PM.
post #7943 of 8004 Old 07-08-2015, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
AFAIK MPC-HC is the only player that checks for forced items, most standalones don't even check if the track is flagged and thus don't show forced subs automatically.
This is likely why I haven't had any issues as I only use MPC-HC coupled with madVR to play-back media in my theater living room. It's really just about the only good way to go

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #7944 of 8004 Old 07-09-2015, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
This is likely why I haven't had any issues as I only use MPC-HC coupled with madVR to play-back media in my theater living room. It's really just about the only good way to go
I was not aware of this player. How would you compare it to VLC?
I should take a look.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7945 of 8004 Old 07-09-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Last question: the video, audio and subtitles track extracted with eac3to, they do not retain any chapter information right?
Correct. Chapter information is not associated with or a part of the video/audio/subtitles streams contained in the .m2ts file on the BD disk, it is contained in the .mpls (playlist) file which controls the playback of the .m2ts file(s) of the title. If the BD title is extracted as the native .m2ts container, you will lose all chapter points. The MKV container can contain chapter point information. If you use MakeMKV to extract the BD title and remux to MKV, it will use the .mpls file to extract the chapter information and include it in the MKV file. This is the only real advantage of MKV over .m2ts for BD title rips.

I have historically used .m2ts for my BD rips because my tool of choice is Clown_BD and Clown produces .m2ts files and not MKV. For me to go to MKV would be an extra step of running the output from Clown_BD through MakeMKV. The only reason to do this is if I wanted to retain chapter points -- I don't care about chapter points so I save the step and stick with .m2ts. On the other hand, all my DVD rips are MKV files, done with MakeMKV.

- kelson h

post #7946 of 8004 Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I have historically used .m2ts for my BD rips because my tool of choice is Clown_BD and Clown produces .m2ts files and not MKV. For me to go to MKV would be an extra step of running the output from Clown_BD through MakeMKV. The only reason to do this is if I wanted to retain chapter points -- I don't care about chapter points so I save the step and stick with .m2ts. On the other hand, all my DVD rips are MKV files, done with MakeMKV.
Same as you except I use MKV for concerts, that way it's easier to jump around from song to song.

Bill
post #7947 of 8004 Old 07-09-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post
Same as you except I use MKV for concerts, that way it's easier to jump around from song to song.

Bill
No question, if you have a source that would greatly benefit from retaining the chapter points embedded -- like a concert -- then the extra step of using MakeMKV is well worth it.

I really wish MakeMKV had a batch facility like Clown_BD does.

- kelson h

post #7948 of 8004 Old 07-09-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I was not aware of this player. How would you compare it to VLC?
I should take a look.
I think it is a great player especially coupled with madVR. Check out the thread here.
pepar likes this.

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
post #7949 of 8004 Old 07-09-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Bill
I only use .mkv for a container, it is a lot more efficent so it creates a smaller file. Check the difference in file sizes - an .m2ts will be at more than 5% larger file than a .mkv and a .ts file is usually more than 3% larger. That is quite a savings!

Last edited by MichaelZ; 07-09-2015 at 11:36 AM.
post #7950 of 8004 Old 07-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post
I only use .mkv for a container, it is a lot more efficent so it creates a smaller file. Check the difference in file sizes - an .m2ts will be at more than 5% larger file than a .mkv and a .ts file is usually more than 3% larger. That is quite a savings!
If I was concerned with space I wouldn't rip a single disk As it is I have 8 bays left in my Norco case and 1TB still available with the drives I have pooled for my movies already.

Bill
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread - blu by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page