Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 269 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8041 of 8064 Old 08-13-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
every time i go to BJ's and look at the UHD sets, I always go right in front of them and stare, then I back away about 10 feet to where I normally watch in my living room. I can tell the difference but it's not as dramatic as when I am sitting right in front of the set. Is it enough to abandon my BD ripping/Dune setup I have? No. But an UHD monitor for the computer or videogaming might be really nice. It will take a while for gaming to reach UHD native res though.
PC games scale with the monitor. I have been playing @ ~ 3k on my Dell 30" for at least 5 years now. Dell has an awesome 32" 4k that is calling my name. I may buy it just to play Rise of the Tomb Raider next spring. I have 2nd gen Titans in SLI and should handle most 4K with ease.
jhughy2010 likes this.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!

Last edited by blackssr; 08-13-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8042 of 8064 Old 08-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I can build you a 64TB Win 2012R2 Server if you want to join the big boy ranks Just drop me note!
The building i love. Its the spending i dont. Not when theres house stuff to buy. Like central air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
PC games scale with the monitor. I have been playing @ ~ 3k on my Dell 30" for at least 5 years now. Dell has an awesome 32" 4k that is calling my name. I may buy it just to play Rise of the Tomb Raider next spring. I have 2nd gen Titans in SLI and should handle most 4K with ease.
Oh i was talking consoles.
post #8043 of 8064 Old 08-13-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
The graphics horsepower for 4k gaming is insane. Short of a 3-way/4-way rig, it's not attainable with todays GPUs. I am about to move from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440 and one of the variable refresh rate technologies. I am quite happy with what I have now, so I expect to cr@p my pants with the next rig.

IMO, 4k gaming is in the exact same category as UHD.
I don't think a 3-way SLI rig is necessary for 4k gaming. I am pretty big into BF4 and I would consider a GTX 980 Ti to be able to handle the job for the most part. I have never thought it necessary to obtain higher than 60 FPS with gaming. I always turn V-Sync on when gaming.

This is in game FPS test utilizing an i7-4770k slightly overclocked. Palit's GTX 980 Ti clearly is able to play BF4 at 4k resolutions with the highest graphics settings. Sure, two of them (SLI) would make it completely playable but 40 FPS with a single card is still pretty good.

Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center), PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
post #8044 of 8064 Old 08-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 204
My point is not that no games run, it is that there are plenty that don't. And accepting a 40fps max framerate on whatever games can reach that is not something I would consider for FPS or RPG. So 4K gaming like UHD is not ready for prime time.

But those who wait need early adopters to rush in and spend, spend, spend.

Last edited by pepar; 08-15-2015 at 01:53 PM.
post #8045 of 8064 Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Subtitles - which to Keep when encoding MKVs

I am transferring all my Blu-ray movies to digital MKV files of main movie only for playback through Kodi and Plex. I am not transferring subtitles of main dialog of English spoken films as a rule. However, there are films that require subtitles for dialog spoken in a different language. Dances With Wolves, The Return Of The Jedi, The Wolverine and many other movies have subtitles that need to stay. My question is this. How do you spot the difference when using Handbreak to encode?

Thanks
post #8046 of 8064 Old 08-21-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrow7 View Post
I am transferring all my Blu-ray movies to digital MKV files of main movie only for playback through Kodi and Plex. I am not transferring subtitles of main dialog of English spoken films as a rule. However, there are films that require subtitles for dialog spoken in a different language. Dances With Wolves, The Return Of The Jedi, The Wolverine and many other movies have subtitles that need to stay. My question is this. How do you spot the difference when using Handbreak to encode?

Thanks
Here is what I have found to work with the exception of only one movie:

Under the subtitles tab in Handbrake select "Add Track" and "Add All Remaining Tracks". Several tracks should populate the screen. I check "Forced Only" for every track and I uncheck "Burn In".

I have had great luck with checking Forced Only, however, if the subtitle track isn't already flagged as being "forced" then I'm not sure that this will work. During my ripping process I always verify that the subtitle track that is needed is flagged as a forced subtitle track.

Hope this helps.

Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center), PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U
My DIY subwoofer build
post #8047 of 8064 Old 08-22-2015, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrow7 View Post

Thanks
Here's a list of movies that have the type of subtitles you are interested in, including time stamps of where in the movies to check for foreign dialog:

Movies with forced subtitles

My personal workflow is to rip with MakeMKV, including all English subtitles, then encode with Handbrake, again including all English subtitles. Play the movie and check the time in question, selecting various subtitle tracks, until I find the one that works (I use MPC for this), take note of the track number. Then open the file in MKVToolnix, uncheck any extra subtitle tracks that aren't needed, make sure the one I am keeping is marked as Default and Forced, remux (takes a couple of minutes since we are not re-encoding again). Done.
post #8048 of 8064 Old 08-23-2015, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Ripping BD's could be so simple -- as simple as ripping DVD's -- if it weren't for playlist obfuscation and forced subtitles. That is where 98% of the discussion lies. Otherwise you open the title in Clown_BD or MakeMKV, pick your HD video & audio streams and click "go". Once the proper playlist is identified, does anyone ever have a problem knowing which video and audio boxes to check? NO. It's always the damn subtitles that give the grief.
And here I thought 98% of the discussion was an argument over which container to use or how much compression we could use before we noticed it.
post #8049 of 8064 Old 08-23-2015, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So what are you guys using these days for servers that meet or exceed about 32TBs?
post #8050 of 8064 Old 08-23-2015, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Question about mkv playback options.

There are 3 ways to play .mkv files on a Samsung HU6550/SEK3500.

1) Via the USB input.
2) Via the Network input.
3) Via the HDMI input. (I have a WDTV Live Hub on HDMI-2).

What's the preferred way for best picture quality?

TV: Samsung UN65HU8550, TS02, SEK-3500U, F/W: 1220.8
HT: Samsung HT-H4500, Sennheiser RS-175 (fed via optical).
post #8051 of 8064 Old 08-23-2015, 02:44 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL600 View Post

1) Via the USB input.

They had better have identical picture quality, or something is very wrong.

-Bill
sucher and SL600 like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #8052 of 8064 Old 08-24-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL600 View Post

1) Via the USB input.

Picture quality will be identical in all modes, but usability is a different matter depending on where the files are. I have my movies on a WD My Cloud drive and a backup on an external HDD... Via Wi-Fi, I notice that the operation can be sluggish (fast forward/rewind, chapter skipping). Plugging in the USB input provides a smoother response, but the built-in player in Samsung devices do not provide the ability to skip chapters. You can only fast forward.

I also have a Sony BDP player that connects to the Cloud drive via Wi-Fi or Cat-6 (the Sony and the WD are jacked to my Router). The Sony provides fast forward/rewinding and supports chapter skipping but does not provide thumbnails like the Samsungs do.
SL600 likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #8053 of 8064 Old 08-24-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 132
sorry.. double post

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #8054 of 8064 Old 08-24-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post
So what are you guys using these days for servers that meet or exceed about 32TBs?
I have three unRAID setups.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #8055 of 8064 Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
any software

So whenever I am ripping certain tv series, the episodes aren't in individual format. They are all combined into one file, no matter what way I try to rip it. My question is after I rip the one file, is there a program to cut the file up into the episodes that I want?
post #8056 of 8064 Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostheking View Post
So whenever I am ripping certain tv series, the episodes aren't in individual format. They are all combined into one file, no matter what way I try to rip it. My question is after I rip the one file, is there a program to cut the file up into the episodes that I want?
Welcome to AVSForum.

What format are your rips? For MKV, mkvmerge will split by various criteria. In the best case, your episodes end on a chapter boundary, so you just specify a chapter range.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #8057 of 8064 Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
For the TV series episodes are you talking DVD or BD?

DVD is straight forward: first, use VLC and its support of the DVD menu to identify and correspond episode# with DVD Title#; second, use MakeMKV to extract the individual episodes into appropriately named MKV files.

BD is much more difficult. There is no easy way to correspond episode# with playlist# other than brute force. MakeMKV can be used to extract individual playlists into MKV files. You will then need player software or a BD player that can play individual episodes from the disk which you then have to manually match up with your extracted MKV files. Depending on how the BD is authored, it can get a lot more complicated.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8058 of 8064 Old 08-26-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

You won't be able to have frame perfect splitting without reencoding.
post #8059 of 8064 Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So I just updated my pc and installed Clown BD. When I try to run it I get a
Please download Latest Java Runtime Environment
OPtherwise BDSup2Sub will not work
Java.sun.com -1.7
CurrentVersion-
Java is installed but it seems some sort of detection error. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas?
post #8060 of 8064 Old 08-27-2015, 04:56 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Java can be a bit confusing. The version 1.7.x file is a browser plugin. Jave RE needed for BDSup2Sub ... and everything else NOT a browser ... is up to 8 update 60.
post #8061 of 8064 Old Today, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know not everyone compresses their rips but I have a question for those that do

I use handbrake and like to compress the video portion while maintaining the HD audio but handbrake doesn't passthrough TrueHD.

Is there a way to compress the video portion of the rip and then add the HD audio back in from the original file ?
post #8062 of 8064 Old Today, 09:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post
I know not everyone compresses their rips but I have a question for those that do

I use handbrake and like to compress the video portion while maintaining the HD audio but handbrake doesn't passthrough TrueHD.

Is there a way to compress the video portion of the rip and then add the HD audio back in from the original file ?
A little work with the mkvmerge tools might do it. Extract the audio with mkvextract and re-add it after the compression with mkvmerge. I'd check the sync carefully afterward.

Are you sure about HandBrake? I thought it had audio passthru but I haven't tried on HD tracks.

-Bill

post #8063 of 8064 Old Today, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 111
mkvmerge (mkvtoolnix) is perfect for this, and you don't need to extract anything. Open your compressed file in mmg.exe then "add" the original uncompressed file. You'll see a list of every track from both files. Check the boxes for the tracks you want to keep from your re-encode (compressed video, chapters, subtitles) and also check the box for the uncompressed TrueHD audio track from the original. Uncheck everything else such as the original video file and duplicate chapter tracks. While you're at it make sure the TrueHD track is marked as Default. Then mux into your new file.

I do this all the time.

And yes, Handbrake can pass thru just about any format including lossless DTS-HD MA, but doesn't currently do TrueHD. Not sure why, but the above workaround only takes a few minutes so it's all good.
post #8064 of 8064 Old Today, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah just make sure you have handbrake set to output to mkv. If it outputs to mp4 then mkvmerge won't work.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread - blu by PriceGrabber.com