Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 277 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 551Likes

post #8281 of 9007 Old 10-22-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hey,

Anyone want to tell me the thoughts on the best ways lately to have very large storage pools?

I have 2 4 bay NAS units with 4GB drives and Raid 5. Currently have about 1100 of my Blu Rays backed up on it.

I don't know if I should put together another ... or is there a better way now?

??

One thing I looked at today was the 6TB WD NAS Cloud gizmos. I wonder if I should start using those and then just mirror the drives to external USB 6TB archive type drives.

-Brian
I really am an advocate of Stablebit Drivepool coupled with their Scanner. I think it is the BEST solution for pooling various drives as one pool (I folder mounted the drives). Scanner is an incredible piece of software that will warn you well in advance of any drive failure. For my sensitive stuff like family photos and videos I enabled file duplication within Drivepool just in case. But in regards to my media (movies, shows, etc.) I am confident it will remain safe with Scanner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 9007 Old 10-22-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Hey,

Anyone want to tell me the thoughts on the best ways lately to have very large storage pools?

I have 2 4 bay NAS units with 4GB drives and Raid 5. Currently have about 1100 of my Blu Rays backed up on it.

??

One thing I looked at today was the 6TB WD NAS Cloud gizmos. I wonder if I should start using those and then just mirror the drives to external USB 6TB archive type drives.

-Brian
If you use the cloud it will take for ever to backup...not to mention use a lot of your allotted data. I have a 20TB NAS, and I am thinking of getting another to have a dual backup.

Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, Xilica XP-4080 crossover, (2pr) JBL 8340As,  (2pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox360, (2) Intel NUCs, Monoprice12 gauge speaker wire and XLR cables, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 195" diagonal scope screen, Panamorph UH-480, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, Yamaha MX-A5000, MiniDSP DDRC-88A, and an Oppo 103.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #8283 of 9007 Old 10-22-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 175
If the 4-bay NAS are not enough, I would recommend you get a NAS array that can candle more drives... They go up to 10 bays but the prices are pretty steep. I don't care for the WD Cloud drives because they are pretty slow due to the slow processors in the NAS (I should know, I have one). Better NAS units have quad-core Celerons or even Intel I3 processors with 8GB RAM....

I am contemplating getting either a QNAP or one of the newer Asustor NAS arrays...
Brian Hampton likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #8284 of 9007 Old 10-22-2015, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Check out Synology servers on Amazon. WELL worth the money

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #8285 of 9007 Old 10-22-2015, 06:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
Quote:
Hey,

??

-Brian
I use unRAID for my setups. I have one unRAID setup with 53TB. One with 41TB, and one with 35TB of total space.

Prior to unRAID I used a WIndows Home Server that had around 53TB of storage. But when I switched to unRAID I repurposed those drives to the unRAID setups. Although I've been finally getting rid of the last of those drives that used to be in my WHS. They were a bunch of the WD green drives. Which were great at the time, back in 2009/2010, but they run hotter than current 7200 rpm drives. So I've been in the process of replacing them and also increasing some of my storage capacity in the process.
ellisr63 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #8286 of 9007 Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I don't care for the WD Cloud drives because they are pretty slow due to the slow processors in the NAS (I should know, I have one).
What's the impact of it being so slow? Aren't all those disk devices slow?
post #8287 of 9007 Old 10-22-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
What's the impact of it being so slow? Aren't all those disk devices slow?
Copying a file from my computer to the Cloud drive is slow... The transfer rate averages 20-30Mbps.. Couple of minutes per movie....

Some of the newer NAS have a transfer rate about 200Mbps..

post #8288 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I use unRAID for my setups. I have one unRAID setup with 53TB. One with 41TB, and one with 35TB of total space.

Prior to unRAID I used a WIndows Home Server that had around 53TB of storage. But when I switched to unRAID I repurposed those drives to the unRAID setups. Although I've been finally getting rid of the last of those drives that used to be in my WHS. They were a bunch of the WD green drives. Which were great at the time, back in 2009/2010, but they run hotter than current 7200 rpm drives. So I've been in the process of replacing them and also increasing some of my storage capacity in the process.
Good lord! Are you backing up for Netflix or have a cloud storage business?
post #8289 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Hey,

??

-Brian

I would just keep the 1100 discs, too much time and money duplicating the library to HDD's
post #8290 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
I would just keep the 1100 discs, too much time and money duplicating the library to HDD's
I do keep the discs.

On the server though they stay organized and I can even voice search for a movie or keyword.

A bonus is I found a handful of damaged discs that I didn't realize were damaged. I replaced some of them and just kept the others for playback through the BDP (which is still hooked up of course.)

-Brian
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 10-23-2015 at 05:23 AM.
post #8291 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
Hey,

If you are talking about large storage pools for storing/serving video files -- IMHO, NAS units are an expensive overkill. Video storage disk farms are written to infrequently and mainly read from so a hardware RAID configuration that continuously updates parity information is not required. A PC-based solution with software RAID is ideal. A small i3 PC like a NUC or Shuttle with a bunch of USB-3 ports and 8-bay USB-3 disk towers will provide you with a reasonably-priced disk farm with enormous capacity and speed. While unRaid is good, it is a single-task system. I prefer a Windows-based system so I can have other things running on the server: FlexRAID for the softRAID solution; Mezzmo DLNA server; Plex server; TiVo servers. With PC softRAID like FlexRAID you can have the parity disk updated nightly or on demand after you add video to the array; you are also not confined to using the same sized disks in the array and the disks are NTFS formatted and individually accessible. It's highly flexible and highly expandable -- you just keep adding HDD's as you need them. The only caveat is that the parity disk(s) need to be as big or bigger than the largest disk in the array.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8292 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
Quote:
Copying a file from my computer to the Cloud drive is slow... The transfer rate averages 20-30Mbps.. Couple of minutes per movie....

20--30Mb/s?!? That is slower than the rate on a BD? But even 200Mb/s is very slow. Even my Old INTEL NAS with a RAID 5 would get 700Mb/s transfer rates. My unRAID with a Cache drive sees around 850Mb/s transfer rates. Of course when writing directly to the array it's much slower. Those speeds are only around 250Mb/s to 320Mb/s. But I use the ones without a cache drive strictly for BD rips. So those speeds aren't an issue when ripping a disc.
ellisr63 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #8293 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks !
post #8294 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
If you are talking about large storage pools for storing/serving video files -- IMHO, NAS units are an expensive overkill. Video storage disk farms are written to infrequently and mainly read from so a hardware RAID configuration that continuously updates parity information is not required. A PC-based solution with software RAID is ideal. A small i3 PC like a NUC or Shuttle with a bunch of USB-3 ports and 8-bay USB-3 disk towers will provide you with a reasonably-priced disk farm with enormous capacity and speed. While unRaid is good, it is a single-task system. I prefer a Windows-based system so I can have other things running on the server: FlexRAID for the softRAID solution; Mezzmo DLNA server; Plex server; TiVo servers. With PC softRAID like FlexRAID you can have the parity disk updated nightly or on demand after you add video to the array; you are also not confined to using the same sized disks in the array and the disks are NTFS formatted and individually accessible. It's highly flexible and highly expandable -- you just keep adding HDD's as you need them. The only caveat is that the parity disk(s) need to be as big or bigger than the largest disk in the array.
I agree... I too was going to utilize FlexRAID, however, I found their website to be down for the better part of a month so there was no way of even purchasing/downloading the software. There was a massive exodus from FlexRAID at the time and lots of people recommended Stablebit as a solution/alternative. So far I am very pleased. If I had enough storage space I would enable file duplication for all media, however, I feel Scanner does a fine job at protecting my data through their disk failure early warning tools.
Kelson likes this.
post #8295 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 967
I wasn't aware of stable-bit. I'll take a look and see what if offers.
thanks.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8296 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
20--30Mb/s?!? That is slower than the rate on a BD? But even 200Mb/s is very slow. Even my Old INTEL NAS with a RAID 5 would get 700Mb/s transfer rates. My unRAID with a Cache drive sees around 850Mb/s transfer rates. Of course when writing directly to the array it's much slower. Those speeds are only around 250Mb/s to 320Mb/s. But I use the ones without a cache drive strictly for BD rips. So those speeds aren't an issue when ripping a disc.
Quote:

The fact that he says couple of minutes per movie makes me wonder if you guys are speaking in the same units (megaBITS vs. megaBYTES)???

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D, Dune HD Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #8297 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Kelson,

If I buy a case that supports 10 drive bays.... In theory I could put together a 36TB server using 10 4TB drives .... right?..... I think this is what I want to do. I already have 8 of the drives in my NAS units.

I may not even do the software RAID part... don't know yet... Since I have all the original discs I may forego any type of redundancy apart from making some data base files that say what movies are on which ones.

-Brian
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8298 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Kelson,

If I buy a case that supports 10 drive bays.... In theory I could put together a 36TB server using 10 4TB drives .... right?..... I think this is what I want to do. I already have 8 of the drives in my NAS units.

I may not even do the software RAID part... don't know yet... Since I have all the original discs I may forego any type of redundancy apart from making some data base files that say what movies are on which ones.

-Brian
Drivepool would work perfect for this and it is exactly what I do. I bought both drivepool + scanner... it pools the drives nicely (mount to a C drive folder) and then scans the disks on a scheduled basis.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	396
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1013097  
post #8299 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Kelson,

Why not use 6TB HDDs? If you consider the cost of the NAS itself in the per-TB price, it might be cheaper.

(Or maybe you are planning to move your existing 4TB HDDs to the new box?)
post #8300 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
If MakeMKV ever does go down permanently what is a good alternative?
AnyDVD HD and JRiver Media Center.
Insert Disc
Click Rip
Get only the main title of movie on drive array in about 20 minutes

My 6 year old rips Blu-rays for me (as do the two older kids).
post #8301 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Drivepool would work perfect for this and it is exactly what I do. I bought both drivepool + scanner... it pools the drives nicely (mount to a C drive folder) and then scans the disks on a scheduled basis.

This does look cool...question though: the picture shows an F drive for your pooled set of drives. So, I'm confused when you said "mount to a C drive folder"...what does that mean?

Thanks,

Chris

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D, Dune HD Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #8302 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
This does look cool...question though: the picture shows an F drive for your pooled set of drives. So, I'm confused when you said "mount to a C drive folder"...what does that mean?

Thanks,

Chris
Yes it is very simple. Simply mount each drive to a folder under C drive. I asked this question awhile ago prior to creating the C drive folder and mounting each drive.

The instructions are attached.

Once you install each drive and mount them to a folder (they will not show up in file explorer when mounted to a folder) you install Drivepool. In Drivepool you'll create a "pool" then add the "folder mounted" drives to the "pool".
Attached Files
File Type: zip Folder mounts.zip (52.0 KB, 22 views)
fatherom likes this.
post #8303 of 9007 Old 10-23-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Yes it is very simple. Simply mount each drive to a folder under C drive. I asked this question awhile ago prior to creating the C drive folder and mounting each drive.

The instructions are attached.

Once you install each drive and mount them to a folder (they will not show up in file explorer when mounted to a folder) you install Drivepool. In Drivepool you'll create a "pool" then add the "folder mounted" drives to the "pool".
Wow...never knew you could mount drives as folders like that. Good to know. And, in a way, that kind of already allows "pooling" of multiple drives into a single location, but I can see where Drivepool would let you re-organize what the single volume presents as far as directories and locations of files.

But here's what I'd like to do:

I currently have 8 existing drives full of stuff. I know Drivepool will allow me to pool all 8 of those drives and leave the data untouched. I can then organize the pooled directory into any structure I like, without touching the original data on the 8 original drives. So far, so good.

But when I add something new, I don't want drivepool to decide where it ends up. I still want to put the new files on one of the 8 drives of my choosing, in a directory on that drive of my choosing. THEN I want to decide where in the pool those new files go.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Chris

EDIT: just realized that drivepool tends to take over and there's no way to really get around that. Also realized that with some clever folder mount points I could achieve what I want. It begs the question...if the goal is simply to merge a bunch of disks into one large area, what advantage does drivepool provide over just mounting the disks as folders in one place?
jhughy2010 likes this.

Last edited by fatherom; 10-23-2015 at 07:26 PM.
post #8304 of 9007 Old 10-24-2015, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow...never knew you could mount drives as folders like that. Good to know. And, in a way, that kind of already allows "pooling" of multiple drives into a single location, but I can see where Drivepool would let you re-organize what the single volume presents as far as directories and locations of files.

But here's what I'd like to do:

I currently have 8 existing drives full of stuff. I know Drivepool will allow me to pool all 8 of those drives and leave the data untouched. I can then organize the pooled directory into any structure I like, without touching the original data on the 8 original drives. So far, so good.

But when I add something new, I don't want drivepool to decide where it ends up. I still want to put the new files on one of the 8 drives of my choosing, in a directory on that drive of my choosing. THEN I want to decide where in the pool those new files go.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Chris

EDIT: just realized that drivepool tends to take over and there's no way to really get around that. Also realized that with some clever folder mount points I could achieve what I want. It begs the question...if the goal is simply to merge a bunch of disks into one large area, what advantage does drivepool provide over just mounting the disks as folders in one place?
I think I kind of grasp what you are asking... let me try to clarify and if I cannot check this thread out and then this one.

Both the aforementioned threads really helped me understand the pooling process and helped me understand how pooling with Drivepool aided in data simplicity and integrity.

Mounting drives to a NTSF folder doesn't necessarily create a "pool" like I think you are thinking. In fact, mounting the drives to a single folder is what I did and it doesn't create a single pool like one might think.

There are lots of different ways you can organize the pool structure. The two main different ways in organizing the data is either allowing an equal amount of data to be spread among the drives or filling up one drive at a time.

It sounds to me like you may want multiple pools? In my opinion why not make one giant pool and then have multiple folders in that pool.

I think this is the most simplistic and reasonable way to use Drivepool. I enabled duplication for the things I don't have external disks for (i.e. pictures and videos) while the movies need not have file duplication (after all that would take up lots of space). Duplicated files do not end up on the same drive and the data allotment ends up equal among the multiple drives.

Lastly, aside from using software RAID like Drivepool or flexRAID I do not think you'd want to mount to a folder on the C drive... Anyhow, there are members that know a heck of a lot more about this stuff than I do and hopefully they can chime in.
fatherom likes this.
post #8305 of 9007 Old 10-24-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The fact that he says couple of minutes per movie makes me wonder if you guys are speaking in the same units (megaBITS vs. megaBYTES)???
Sorry, you are right... it is MBps... not Mbps...

post #8306 of 9007 Old 10-24-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I've done some reading and decided, for my purposes, I can achieve a combined set of media from my 8 drives by using NTFS symbolic links and junctions. That way I can still manage my 8 drives independently, but still have a single combined view of all my media that my media players see.
post #8307 of 9007 Old 10-25-2015, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
I'm fairly certain that is not true. Pretty sure the blu-ray video spec is 1920x1080 (1440x1080 and 1280x720 are also spec but I've never seen one). I've ripped hundreds of blu-rays over the years and running them through MediaInfo has never, not even once, reported a video resolution other than 1920x1080.

MPEG-2 requires luma to be devisable by 16, hence 1088. Your player will auto crop the bottom 8 pixels. If you demux the video you can clearly see the bottom 8 pixels as being garbled, assuming the app you view your demuxed video and the demuxed itself does not autocrop the original video.
post #8308 of 9007 Old 10-25-2015, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Yes. i did the shrinking stuff back in 2001 through 2004 with DVDs. When I started ripping my BDs in 2009 I swore I would never mess with shrinking anything again. I just want to rip it and be done with it. And especially now, with storage cheaper than ever, I'm not worried about making a small 45GB file smaller..

The topic was for people that want to compress and not that storage is cheap
post #8309 of 9007 Old 10-25-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
The topic was for people that want to compress and not that storage is cheap
Everyone keeps saying how cheap storage is but nobody has offered to buy me any HDDs. Other people's money is easy to spend.
ellisr63 and DotJun like this.
post #8310 of 9007 Old 10-25-2015, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
While unRaid is good, it is a single-task system.
You may want to take a look at the latest Unraid. It now supports Docker apps and running VMs.
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page