Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 6489 Old 12-26-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Though I have only purchased AnyDVD, for those who mainly wish to make mkv's, they can get that program for a one-stop solution. Free for now, but if they start charging for it (will they ever!?!), I would imagine they might keep offering a free version with fewer features or with no guarantee of continuous updating. Then if you want full program feature access and/or lifetime updating, you would pay. The main point here being, if mkv will be your sole output solution for ripping, it will be much cheaper than AnyDVD or DVDFab.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6489 Old 12-26-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I use anydvd HD with Clownbd for main movie rips.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #813 of 6489 Old 12-26-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Though I have only purchased AnyDVD, for those who mainly wish to make mkv's, they can get that program for a one-stop solution. Free for now, but if they start charging for it (will they ever!?!), I would imagine they might keep offering a free version with fewer features or with no guarantee of continuous updating. Then if you want full program feature access and/or lifetime updating, you would pay. The main point here being, if mkv will be your sole output solution for ripping, it will be much cheaper than AnyDVD or DVDFab.

I purchased anydvd hd and love it, but now I exclusively use makemkv. I agree, it is very simple and since I already have a full disc backup (the physical disc), I love just ripping to mkv with hd audio, subtitles, and no other fluff (with only a few clicks).
post #814 of 6489 Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

Ok, so I finally got a blu-ray drive to start ripping blu-rays. What I've used for my DVD ripping is Passkey for DVD (I have the lifetime option) and DVD Shrink. It works really well.

If I want to start ripping Blu-Rays, and only want to pay for one piece of software, what are my options? I'm confused by DVDFab and their options in this area, with Blu Ray Copy, Blu Ray Ripper, and so forth. I understand that I can just get Passkey for bluray to remove protections, but at that point is there a piece of free software to actually do the ripping?

I would suggest you read back 3-4 pages of this thread. You are asking the same question(s) that have been asked previously. A lot of detailed discussion with this kind of information can already be found in this thread without having to repeat it all in new posts. Then you'll be in a position to ask questions related to your needs that haven't been covered.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #815 of 6489 Old 12-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
anyone have a solution on merging two ISO's into a single file without having to recreate the menu structure on the disc? Ie. my copy of pelican brief is on a dual sided DVD (side A and Side B). ripping the two individual sides is no problem. I would just prefer to merge to that on playback it will just seamlessly jump from one to the other. It would also be wonderful if I'm doing scene selection that I would accurately use the menu to navigate through both "sides". If i just need to load them as two different ISO's and then play them back individually, I can do that as well. Just trying to get away from that.
post #816 of 6489 Old 12-27-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Ok, so I finally got a blu-ray drive to start ripping blu-rays. What I've used for my DVD ripping is Passkey for DVD (I have the lifetime option) and DVD Shrink. It works really well.

If I want to start ripping Blu-Rays, and only want to pay for one piece of software, what are my options? I'm confused by DVDFab and their options in this area, with Blu Ray Copy, Blu Ray Ripper, and so forth. I understand that I can just get Passkey for bluray to remove protections, but at that point is there a piece of free software to actually do the ripping?

AnyDVD HD is about the best for ISO or folder rips. You could also try MakeMKV which will give you the movie only as an MKV, no other program is needed either.
post #817 of 6489 Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I downloaded DVDFab to try the blu-ray ripper option for 30 days. I successfully ripped my first two blu-rays. Ripped The Dark Knight to an MT2S file, and ripped Scott Pilgrim to an MKV. The rips went fine, but I did learn that my current network can't handle streaming them. (Using a MOCA adapter.) Both files would buffer pretty regularly, The Dark Knight moreso than Scott Pilgrim, but unwatchable in both cases. Until I can improve my network, it looks like my only option is to put blu-ray rips onto an external drive hooked directly to my Boxee Box. That'll do for now.
post #818 of 6489 Old 12-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

The rips went fine, but I did learn that my current network can't handle streaming them. (Using a MOCA adapter.)

What is your network, and WTF is MOCA?

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #819 of 6489 Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Networking over coax
post #820 of 6489 Old 12-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

What is your network, and WTF is MOCA?

MoCA = Multimedia over Coax Alliance
post #821 of 6489 Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, it's a network over coax. It's basically another non-hard wire option for networking, as I can't run cable currently. It's worked for me a lot better than wireless ever did, though I never got to try wireless with any simultaneous dual band, fancy shmancy stuff. I'd hoped it would be solid enough for full HD rips, but no such luck. Maybe I will try out powerline adapters or a better wireless solution in the future. I don't expect much luck until I can hardwire.
post #822 of 6489 Old 12-28-2011, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah, it's a network over coax. It's basically another non-hard wire option for networking, as I can't run cable currently. It's worked for me a lot better than wireless ever did, though I never got to try wireless with any simultaneous dual band, fancy shmancy stuff. I'd hoped it would be solid enough for full HD rips, but no such luck. Maybe I will try out powerline adapters or a better wireless solution in the future. I don't expect much luck until I can hardwire.

Something's wrong as there's more than enough bandwidth available in a MOCA network for HD video. 'MOCA when implemented properly will have higher rates than power line so I think it's worth troubleshooting some. Maybe a direct cable just as a test to see if the buffering remains. It might just be your router or your playback device. At least the cable will eliminate some variables but I'd be surprised if it was the MOCA.
post #823 of 6489 Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera View Post

AnyDVD HD is about the best for ISO or folder rips. You could also try MakeMKV which will give you the movie only as an MKV, no other program is needed either.

If makemkv can do just the movie and you can remove previews etc...why doesn't everyone use that? Doesn't it make clown obsolete? Clearly I'm a noob who is missing something
post #824 of 6489 Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff.fahimi View Post

If makemkv can do just the movie and you can remove previews etc...why doesn't everyone use that? Doesn't it make clown obsolete? Clearly I'm a noob who is missing something

I think that in the fairly recent past, a number of players had problems with mkvs. Others, such as dbobe, can speak to this much better than I. But I will say that I used to do iso rips to keep all content "just in case I wanted it", and decided to keep the main feature and rerip a few months ago. To me, the choice to use makemkv was clear, but others have been doing this for a while, back when mkv might not have been such a good choice. I love it. It keeps chapters, handles subtitles well, hd audio, etc.
post #825 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One or more of you coaxial cable must be damage not making a full connection, which is causing to lose bandwidth. Like someone else mention, I would get a coax cable and connect it directly from your router to your media player and see what happens.

Coax should have more than enough bandwidth to stream HD content.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #826 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ClownBD allows you to extract the main movie and languages / subs streams from HD movies. The extract can have 4 different output formats: TS, M2TS, Blu-ray (folder structure) and Blu-ray + ISO so you can burn it in a bd cd.

Three main reason why I use ClownBD:
1) Its easy / fast
2) It gives me multiple audio track support. Not all media player support HD audio or some player (like the A300) will have issues with the HD audio. By including a secondary AC3 audio track I can fix this issue.
3) Force subtitles. Some times media players wont support high definition subs. So, ClownBD by selecting "Force Subs" it will automatically select all subs for whatever language you've selected for processing.

Subs are very important to me since my parents are Spanish speaking mainly. Some movies do not have a Spanish sound track. So subs will have to do.

So, I think it is good that we have options on how to rip our media content. I do not believe one is better than the other. I believe it is just a question of which one works for you better?

I've been using ClownBD for a while, and I am comfortable with it. I'll probably give makemkv a try and see how it work.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #827 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

ClownBD allows you to extract the main movie and languages / subs streams from HD movies. The extract can have 4 different output formats: TS, M2TS, Blu-ray (folder structure) and Blu-ray + ISO so you can burn it in a bd cd.

Three main reason why I use ClownBD:
1) Its easy / fast
2) It gives me multiple audio track support. Not all media player support HD audio or some player (like the A300) will have issues with the HD audio. By including a secondary AC3 audio track I can fix this issue.
3) Force subtitles. Some times media players wont support high definition subs. So, ClownBD by selecting "Force Subs" it will automatically select all subs for whatever language you've selected for processing.

Subs are very important to me since my parents are Spanish speaking mainly. Some movies do not have a Spanish sound track. So subs will have to do.

FYI, MakeMKV allows you to do everything you just mentioned, except output as anything other than MKV. MakeMKV allows extraction of main movie (and all other clips and bonus features as desired), select whatever audio formats you want (HD, DD, DTS, or multiple), and supports language tracks, subtitle tracks, and forced subtitles for each language track. Having used both Clown BD and MakeMKV, MakeMKV is faster and is the closest thing to one click out there. One disclaimer, I only used forced English subs so I cannot confirm how solid it works for other languages. Maybe someone else can comment on that part.

The only thing that MakeMKV does not do is output to ISO, m2ts, or folder structure. That is why many people like Clown BD. ISO/Folder structure is used if you want to maintain a 1:1 rip of the original disc and maintain menus. For m2ts, some people believe that single m2ts files are better supported by network media players. That may have been the case once upon a time, but when there is a hiccup, it occurs in equal numbers of m2ts files as mkv files and more often than not, it has to do with the decryption and is fixed in a subsequent software update of your decryption software (AnyDVD HD, MakeMKV because it's built in, or DVDFab Passkey). In other cases, companies release devices with buggy firmware, and they mess up on many file formats.

For me after ripping a few ISO's to maintain menus, I found I didn't care one lick about menus, and when it is time to watch a movie, I just want to hit play. MakeMKV is the simplest and most convenient solution. I understand there are other philosophies out there, and I respect that.
post #828 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog100 View Post

FYI, MakeMKV allows you to do everything you just mentioned, except output as anything other than MKV. MakeMKV allows extraction of main movie (and all other clips and bonus features as desired), select whatever audio formats you want (HD, DD, DTS, or multiple), and supports language tracks, subtitle tracks, and forced subtitles for each language track. Having used both Clown BD and MakeMKV, MakeMKV is faster and is the closest thing to one click out there. One disclaimer, I only used forced English subs so I cannot confirm how solid it works for other languages. Maybe someone else can comment on that part.

The only thing that MakeMKV does not do is output to ISO, m2ts, or folder structure. That is why many people like Clown BD. ISO/Folder structure is used if you want to maintain a 1:1 rip of the original disc and maintain menus. For m2ts, some people believe that single m2ts files are better supported by network media players. That may have been the case once upon a time, but when there is a hiccup, it occurs in equal numbers of m2ts files as mkv files and more often than not, it has to do with the decryption and is fixed in a subsequent software update of your decryption software (AnyDVD HD, MakeMKV because it's built in, or DVDFab Passkey). In other cases, companies release devices with buggy firmware, and they mess up on many file formats.

For me after ripping a few ISO's to maintain menus, I found I didn't care one lick about menus, and when it is time to watch a movie, I just want to hit play. MakeMKV is the simplest and most convenient solution. I understand there are other philosophies out there, and I respect that.

With MakeMKV you can output as a folder rip (full disc). My main issues with MakeMKV are (1) some hardware (appears to be sigma) has A/V sync issues with mkvs created by MakeMKV (2) I believe MakeMKV does not set the forced subtitle flag for forced subs, I think it just puts that as default (I could be wrong if this has changed but if not then you are forced to keep your subtitles on with your player), (3) I can add a secondary AC3 track with Clown_BD in case there are issues with a specific hardware that cannot decode the original HD Audio track

Also, Clown_BD IS NOT USED to maintain menus. With Clown_BD YOU ONLY GET main movie, same as with MakeMKV

There is no "right" software, each person just needs to figure out what works best for their setup

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #829 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Also, Clown_BD IS NOT USED to maintain menus. With Clown_BD YOU ONLY GET main movie, same as with MakeMKV.

Yes, thanks for the correction. I was thinking of the combination of AnyDVD plus ClownBD as the competing solution. Yes, AnyDVD will output ISO or you can simply copy and paste the folder structure.
post #830 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Dbone,

I didn't know about the audio sync issues with makemkv. I use a boxee box (not sigma) and haven't had a problem. A quick search turned up a few issues on the new dunes with DVDs, but not blu-ray, converted using makemkv. I wonder if this will cause me problems in the future if/when I switch media players. Is there any software to losslessly convert an mkv into m2ts files if needed?
post #831 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Dbone,

I didn't know about the audio sync issues with makemkv. I use a boxee box (not sigma) and haven't had a problem. A quick search turned up a few issues on the new dunes with DVDs, but not blu-ray, converted using makemkv. I wonder if this will cause me problems in the future if/when I switch media players. Is there any software to losslessly convert an mkv into m2ts files if needed?

You can use Clown_BD to convert from mkv to m2ts. It is hard to gauge the A/V sync issues. Some Dune/PCH owners who use MakeMKV report issues, others don't.

Cheers,
Damian

post #832 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Right now I'm going to my parents house to installed their new WD TV LIVE Streamer. So, I'll test several movies with it. They just want something that plays netflix and Vudu. So, my wife and I got them that.

I just finished ripping a movie with makemkv, and it worked fast. 15 min faster than ClownBD.

I will test this movie with the WD, and when I get back home I'll test it on the A-300 see how it works.

As mentioned before no secondary AC3 track available.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #833 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Right now I'm going to my parents house to installed their new WD TV LIVE Streamer. So, I'll test several movies with it. They just want something that plays netflix and Vudu. So, my wife and I got them that.

I just finished ripping a movie with makemkv, and it worked fast. 15 min faster than ClownBD.

I will test this movie with the WD, and when I get back home I'll test it on the A-300 see how it works.

A secondary track is less important to someone who just wants to play from their pc correct?
post #834 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think if it is a TrueHD movie you will see the option to also grab the embedded AC3 track, so it would only be for DTS(MA) that you won't get a secondary AC3 track

Quote:

A secondary track is less important to someone who just wants to play from their pc correct?

Your PC should be able to decode assuming you are using the right audio filters so you would be fine

Cheers,
Damian

post #835 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Are Forced Subtitles the same thing as the subtitles at the bottom of the screen? If I don't need them will I be safe selecting only the HD audio?
post #836 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Are Forced Subtitles the same thing as the subtitles at the bottom of the screen? If I don't need them will I be safe selecting only the HD audio?

Subtitles in the same language on the same production can be in different categories:

Narrative This is the most common type of subtitle. Narrative subtitles are those in which spoken dialogue is displayed. These are most commonly used to translate a film with one spoken language and the text of a second language.

Forced These are common on movies. Forced subtitles only provide subtitles when the characters speak a foreign or alien language, or a sign, flag, or other text in a scene is not translated in the localization and dubbing process. In some cases, foreign dialogue may be left untranslated if the movie is meant to be seen from the point of view of a particular character who does not speak the language in question.

Content Content subtitles are a North American Secondary Industry (non-Hollywood, often low-budget) staple. They add content dictation that is missing from filmed action or dialogue. Due to the general low budget allowances in such films, it is often more feasible to add the overlay subtitles to fill in information. They appear most commonly seen on America's Maverick films as Forced Subtitles, and on Canada's MapleLeaf films as optional subtitles.
Content subtitles also appear in the beginning of some higher-budget films (e.g. Star Wars) or at the end of a film (e.g. Gods and Generals)
Titles only Dubbed programs use this sort of subtitle. Titles only provide only the text for any untranslated on-screen text. They are most commonly forced (see above).

Bonus Bonus subtitles are an additional set of text blurbs that are added to DVDs. They are similar to Blu-ray Discs' in-movie content or to the "info nuggets" in VH1 Pop-up Video. Often shown in popup or balloon form, they point out humorous blunders in the filming or background/behind-the-scenes information to what is appearing on screen.

Localized Localized subtitles are a separate subtitle track that uses expanded references (i.e. "The sake [a Japanese Wine] was excellent as was the Wasabi") or can replace the standardized subtitle track with a localized form replacing references to local custom (i.e. from above, "The wine was excellent as was the spicy dip").

Extended/Expanded Extended subtitles combine the standard subtitle track with the localization subtitle track. Originally found only on Celestial DVDs in the early 2000s, the format has expanded to many export-intended releases from China, Japan, India and Taiwan. The term "Expanded Subtitle" is owned by Celestial, with Extended being used by other companies.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #837 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:

Subtitles in the same language on the same production can be in different categories:

Narrative This is the most common type of subtitle. Narrative subtitles are those in which spoken dialogue is displayed. These are most commonly used to translate a film with one spoken language and the text of a second language.

Forced These are common on movies. Forced subtitles only provide subtitles when the characters speak a foreign or alien language, or a sign, flag, or other text in a scene is not translated in the localization and dubbing process. In some cases, foreign dialogue may be left untranslated if the movie is meant to be seen from the point of view of a particular character who does not speak the language in question.

Content Content subtitles are a North American Secondary Industry (non-Hollywood, often low-budget) staple. They add content dictation that is missing from filmed action or dialogue. Due to the general low budget allowances in such films, it is often more feasible to add the overlay subtitles to fill in information. They appear most commonly seen on America's Maverick films as Forced Subtitles, and on Canada's MapleLeaf films as optional subtitles.
Content subtitles also appear in the beginning of some higher-budget films (e.g. Star Wars) or at the end of a film (e.g. Gods and Generals)
Titles only Dubbed programs use this sort of subtitle. Titles only provide only the text for any untranslated on-screen text. They are most commonly forced (see above).

Bonus Bonus subtitles are an additional set of text blurbs that are added to DVDs. They are similar to Blu-ray Discs' in-movie content or to the "info nuggets" in VH1 Pop-up Video. Often shown in popup or balloon form, they point out humorous blunders in the filming or background/behind-the-scenes information to what is appearing on screen.

Localized Localized subtitles are a separate subtitle track that uses expanded references (i.e. "The sake [a Japanese Wine] was excellent as was the Wasabi") or can replace the standardized subtitle track with a localized form replacing references to local custom (i.e. from above, "The wine was excellent as was the spicy dip").

Extended/Expanded Extended subtitles combine the standard subtitle track with the localization subtitle track. Originally found only on Celestial DVDs in the early 2000s, the format has expanded to many export-intended releases from China, Japan, India and Taiwan. The term "Expanded Subtitle" is owned by Celestial, with Extended being used by other companies.

Thanks Gus! Somebody should sticky that post. I guess my other question is if the other subtitles aren't labeled as above, how do you know which ones are ok to unselect when using MakeMKV or DVDFab?
post #838 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Thanks Gus! Somebody should sticky that post. I guess my other question is if the other subtitles aren't labeled as above, how do you know which ones are ok to unselect when using MakeMKV or DVDFab?

Good question...may be Damian has an answer to this one

Home Theater Set Up:

post #839 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

Subtitles in the same language on the same production can be in different categories ...

Great post!

- it's never done!

post #840 of 6489 Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good question...may be Damian has an answer to this one

I think makemkv labels forced subs as "forced".
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page