Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 283 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 551Likes

post #8461 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
For anyone that's interested, I did a little testing with some Cinavia protected movies ripped to mkv. My Samsung BD player (f5900) definitely detects playing from my Plex server.

So I tried out Cinex HD (eval copy just using SoundTouch 2). It did successfully remove/mask Cinavia in both movies I tried. The audio still sounded ok, although it was downgraded to standard Dolby Digital (was DTS previously). I've seen comments about it causing a massive loss in audio quality. I don't think I agree with that, although obviously it is a loss.

I'll probably buy it so I can try using their databases and see what audio quality/format is output. I would think this would be a viable solution in particular if your streaming to lesser devices (tablets, TV's without surround sound, etc...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 967
It has long been the opinion of people doing this for a while that using a BD player as a media streamer is simply a bad choice. BD players are designed to play BD's. That is their forte. Streaming features are added as marketing gimmicks to discriminate their products and because "everyone else" has it in theirs. If you want to reliably stream local media, buy a real media streamer that natively handles all the common formats you will likely encounter with local ripped or downloaded content.
aaronwt, pepar and mrfattbill like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8463 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That's the point. Media players that don't play disks are not BDA licensed and ignore Cinavia.
I put up my post since some of the posts were almost 'confusing' in that Cinavia also impacted streaming devices.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #8464 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
I was hoping for some help with a BD rip that stutters when streaming. After a couple of years of having external drives attached directly to my WD Live SMP, I decided to buy a NAS and gigabit switches and stream throughout the house. After much playing around, I got everything going the way I want, but have one lone movie (the BD version of John Wayne's El Dorado) that stutters. A quick check and it looks like it does have the highest bit rate of my BD titles but not by much. Would re-ripping it and then compressing it help? I haven't compressed any of my other movies, and space is not an issue, but If I can compress (or anything else to) this movie so that it will play without too much of a quality loss, I'm all in. Any suggestions? By the way, this BD version is just stunning in it's color and clarity.
Having a bit more detail will help us determine what your issue is.

What are you streaming to? Roku 3 has a max bit rate of 40Mbps IIRC. Chromecast is even lower.

A solution would be to install Emby or Plex on the server end (NAS) which would transcode the media file on the fly so that all streaming devices are compatible.
post #8465 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
I put up my post since some of the posts were almost 'confusing' in that Cinavia also impacted streaming devices.
I think the context was BD players that also streamed .... not pure streamers.
post #8466 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Having a bit more detail will help us determine what your issue is.

What are you streaming to? Roku 3 has a max bit rate of 40Mbps IIRC. Chromecast is even lower.

A solution would be to install Emby or Plex on the server end (NAS) which would transcode the media file on the fly so that all streaming devices are compatible.
I'm streaming to two different WD Live SMP gen3's. I don't care for plex at all. Played around with it and using that negates other WDLX forum software I'm running on the media player.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #8467 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It has long been the opinion of people doing this for a while that using a BD player as a media streamer is simply a bad choice. BD players are designed to play BD's. That is their forte. Streaming features are added as marketing gimmicks to discriminate their products and because "everyone else" has it in theirs. If you want to reliably stream local media, buy a real media streamer that natively handles all the common formats you will likely encounter with local ripped or downloaded content.
I agree, at least partially. I have 2 WDTV boxes on my TV's, but they don't have a dedicated Plex app like the BD player and I already have the player. It actually works far better than I would have expected and with the WDTV going out of production, I've been looking at alternate solutions.
post #8468 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm streaming to two different WD Live SMP gen3's. I don't care for plex at all. Played around with it and using that negates other WDLX forum software I'm running on the media player.
I do not use Plex... I do, however, use Emby and am very pleased with it. You can use it just for Movies too. I'm not familiar with the WD Live SMP or the WDLX software. I do think though that most of these compact, budget friendly streamers max out at 40Mbps bitrate. So that would most definitely be the reason why your high bitrate movie is stuttering. You could re-encode the film with Handbrake (I can share some settings that I have found to make a very insignificant impact on quality) and use the re-encoded film in its place (still I would probably keep the raw copy intact for when later devices support high bitrates).
post #8469 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
I agree, at least partially. I have 2 WDTV boxes on my TV's, but they don't have a dedicated Plex app like the BD player and I already have the player. It actually works far better than I would have expected and with the WDTV going out of production, I've been looking at alternate solutions.
I have 3 of the WD Live-SMP's that I use as DLNA clients for my media server and they still work perfectly -- I only use them to stream full bitrate 1:1 BD rips with HD audio pass-through -- no transcoding, all native. I don't use them for any Internet streaming.

I also have a Plex server running for the Plex client on my TiVo's. The TiVo-Plex client sucks, as do most Plex clients, because it is limited to 720p/4Mbps which means the Plex server has to transcode just about everything. So I only use it for DVD TV episodes which works fine. If you want a higher-end Plex clent, wait for the new Plex Media player that is in preview for Plex-pass holders. It is taking the place of Plex Home Theater PC-app. The new Media player will run on a variety of boxes including a Chromebox -- it is supposed to play via Direct Play/Stream (no transcoding) on the Chromebox which will make it a heck of a player for $160. I'm waiting for it to come out of preview to the gen-pop.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8470 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have 3 of the WD Live-SMP's that I use as DLNA clients for my media server and they still work perfectly -- I only use them to stream full bitrate 1:1 BD rips with HD audio pass-through -- no transcoding, all native. I don't use them for any Internet streaming.

I also have a Plex server running for the Plex client on my TiVo's. The TiVo-Plex client sucks, as do most Plex clients, because it is limited to 720p/4Mbps which means the Plex server has to transcode just about everything. So I only use it for DVD TV episodes which works fine. If you want a higher-end Plex clent, wait for the new Plex Media player that is in preview for Plex-pass holders. It is taking the place of Plex Home Theater PC-app. The new Media player will run on a variety of boxes including a Chromebox -- it is supposed to play via Direct Play/Stream (no transcoding) on the Chromebox which will make it a heck of a player for $160. I'm waiting for it to come out of preview to the gen-pop.
My F5900 BD player has played everything I've tried as Direct Play. Although I have not tried anything beyond a high bitrate 1080p mkv with DTS.
post #8471 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do not use Plex... I do, however, use Emby and am very pleased with it. You can use it just for Movies too. I'm not familiar with the WD Live SMP or the WDLX software. I do think though that most of these compact, budget friendly streamers max out at 40Mbps bitrate. So that would most definitely be the reason why your high bitrate movie is stuttering. You could re-encode the film with Handbrake (I can share some settings that I have found to make a very insignificant impact on quality) and use the re-encoded film in its place (still I would probably keep the raw copy intact for when later devices support high bitrates).
Yeah, I think the bitrate on the movie was almost 38, so although not technically at 40, it's probably bumping the ceiling. I was able to stream the same movie over to my desktop computer without issue, so it's gotta be the player. I'm thinking seriously about trying out Handbrake, and I definitely would appreciate any settings suggestions.
jhughy2010 likes this.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #8472 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
If you want a higher-end Plex clent, wait for the new Plex Media player that is in preview for Plex-pass holders. It is taking the place of Plex Home Theater PC-app. The new Media player will run on a variety of boxes including a Chromebox -- it is supposed to play via Direct Play/Stream (no transcoding) on the Chromebox which will make it a heck of a player for $160. I'm waiting for it to come out of preview to the gen-pop.
Plex Media Player runs great on my Raspberry Pi 2. I haven't noticed the server transcoding anything for it yet. I do have the MPEG-2 license installed but I don't know if that's necessary.
post #8473 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Guys a newbie in regards to burning blurays. I have a question I hope some of you will take time to try to answer.

If the recording is in a lossless video codec like Lagarith, should it be converted to another format before getting it into .m2ts format for bluray burning (due to a huge file size not allowing many recordings able to fit on a disc)? If it should be what would you recommend as a couple of the best options?

Don't know if it matters or not but when I am ready to burn I thought I'd try my hand at multiAVCHD to try to create a nice looking menu and then burn via ImgBurn. I still need to cut some things out of course first (haven't completed decided on an editing/conversion software but been looking at video to video and HD Video Converter)and need some guidance here as someone just starting out.
post #8474 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 06:22 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
Guys a newbie in regards to burning blurays. I have a question I hope some of you will take time to try to answer.

If the recording is in a lossless video codec like Lagarith, should it be converted to another format before getting it into .m2ts format for bluray burning (due to a huge file size not allowing many recordings able to fit on a disc)? If it should be what would you recommend as a couple of the best options?

Don't know if it matters or not but when I am ready to burn I thought I'd try my hand at multiAVCHD to try to create a nice looking menu and then burn via ImgBurn. I still need to cut some things out of course first (haven't completed decided on an editing/conversion software but been looking at video to video and HD Video Converter)and need some guidance here as someone just starting out.
Blu-ray video supports only a few audio and video codecs. If you want a standard Blu-ray you'll have to concert to those.

The video codecs are MPEG2, VC1, and AVC. The last is by far the most common.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #8475 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah, I think the bitrate on the movie was almost 38, so although not technically at 40, it's probably bumping the ceiling. I was able to stream the same movie over to my desktop computer without issue, so it's gotta be the player. I'm thinking seriously about trying out Handbrake, and I definitely would appreciate any settings suggestions.
My highest bitrate BD rip is 43Mbps and my Live-SMP's play it flawlessly.

- kelson h

post #8476 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Blu-ray video supports only a few audio and video codecs. If you want a standard Blu-ray you'll have to concert to those.

The video codecs are MPEG2, VC1, and AVC. The last is by far the most common.

-Bill
Thanks for responding! Will converting to those formats reduce the file size? Right now the file is at 40 gb. If I convert to one of the formats listed do I need to convert again to .m2ts before burning using IMG Burn?
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8477 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 09:12 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
Thanks for responding! Will converting to those formats reduce the file size? Right now the file is at 40 gb. If I convert to one of the formats listed do I need to convert again to .m2ts before burning using IMG Burn?
The supported video codecs are all lossy, which generally means reduced file size over lossless formats, so I presume you will get space savings. But I know nothing about the codec you are using.

If you're making Blu-ray video then you need a BDMV directory structure with everything just right, including the m2ts files. You probably need an authoring tool of some sort to get it done.

If you are willing to use media file formats like MKV or MP4, you have more options. But those are not Blu-ray video and some players may not support them.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #8478 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting. I think I'll try to re-rip the movie, and also use handbreak and see which one (if either) play ok.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #8479 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok perfect I'll share some settings as soon as you're ready. Also I think there are others that are avid HB users that can help (I re-encode everything for an external hard drive that I travel with).

Quote:
I wonder if this is direct play? Aren't you using Plex though?
post #8480 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
with the WDTV going out of production
Says who? The current model (without Netflix) is still widely available.

Quote:
I do think though that most of these compact, budget friendly streamers max out at 40Mbps bitrate.
Not the WDTV which maxes out at ~50 continuous Mbps IIRC, it definitely can handle those peaks. What it can't handle is 60 FPS as in The Last Of Us Marathon from YT.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #8481 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
I was hoping for some help with a BD rip that stutters when streaming. After a couple of years of having external drives attached directly to my WD Live SMP, I decided to buy a NAS and gigabit switches and stream throughout the house. After much playing around, I got everything going the way I want, but have one lone movie (the BD version of John Wayne's El Dorado) that stutters. A quick check and it looks like it does have the highest bit rate of my BD titles but not by much. Would re-ripping it and then compressing it help? I haven't compressed any of my other movies, and space is not an issue, but If I can compress (or anything else to) this movie so that it will play without too much of a quality loss, I'm all in. Any suggestions? By the way, this BD version is just stunning in it's color and clarity.

Increase the buffer size on your player? I don't use your player so I'm not sure if you have this option.
post #8482 of 9007 Old 11-23-2015, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting. I think I'll try to re-rip the movie, and also use handbreak and see which one (if either) play ok.
I use Clown_BD for all my 1:1 full bit-rate BD rips. Container = .m2ts.
I only use MakeMKV and MKV containers for DVD rips.

There have been occasional reports of someone's high bitrate MKV not playing properly on their Live-SMP. In many of those cases, converting the container from MKV to .m2ts resolved the issue. Sometimes using TSMuxer to convert the MKV to .m2ts worked and sometimes the title just had to be re-ripped from disk as .m2ts to start.

Quote:
I wonder if this is direct play? Aren't you using Plex though?
Currently I only use Plex for DVD content with my TiVo-Plex client. All my 1:1 BD rips are played on my Live-SMP's using the SMP's DLNA client being fed by Mezzmo DLNA server. Transcoding is turned off so they are being sent the native .m2ts files -- the equivalent of Direct Play.

- kelson h

post #8483 of 9007 Old 11-24-2015, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There have been occasional reports of someone's high bitrate MKV not playing properly on their Live-SMP. In many of those cases, converting the container from MKV to .m2ts resolved the issue. Sometimes using TSMuxer to convert the MKV to .m2ts worked and sometimes the title just had to be re-ripped from disk as .m2ts to start.
Ok, so other than the name, I'm fairly unfamiliar with ClownBD. Are you saying, as one possibility, that I can run my existing mkv rip through ClownBD and convert it to .m2ts? Any settings suggestions?
ellisr63 likes this.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #8484 of 9007 Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I use MakeMKV for all my 1:1 Full Bit BD Rips to play on my SMP with no issues, no freezing or stuttering.
post #8485 of 9007 Old 11-24-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post
I use MakeMKV for all my 1:1 Full Bit BD Rips to play on my SMP with no issues, no freezing or stuttering.
Yeah I'm basically scratching my head as to why this one is doing that. Let me ask you, are you streaming all your BD rips to your player, or are they direct connected? This one problem BD plays fine direct connected, just not streamed to either player...and the one player is connected to the same switch as the NAS, while the other one is accessing it through a second switch and across powerlines...the same powerlines that the computer is attached to that plays the BD just fine while it's being streamed. Like I said, I'm at a loss.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #8486 of 9007 Old 11-24-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ok, so other than the name, I'm fairly unfamiliar with ClownBD. Are you saying, as one possibility, that I can run my existing mkv rip through ClownBD and convert it to .m2ts? Any settings suggestions?
Either Clown_BD or TSMuxer. Use the defaults. There is not much to set since you are not re-coding anything, just re-muxing into a different package.

- kelson h

post #8487 of 9007 Old 11-24-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Like I said, occasional reports.
Otter0911 likes this.

- kelson h

post #8488 of 9007 Old 11-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Yeah I'm basically scratching my head as to why this one is doing that. Let me ask you, are you streaming all your BD rips to your player, or are they direct connected? This one problem BD plays fine direct connected, just not streamed to either player...and the one player is connected to the same switch as the NAS, while the other one is accessing it through a second switch and across powerlines...the same powerlines that the computer is attached to that plays the BD just fine while it's being streamed. Like I said, I'm at a loss.
Most of my BD Rips are on Hard Drives connected to the SMP via usb hubs. At my old house I had it connected directly to my Network Shares/NAS and played 1:1 rips with no problem. We moved to a 112 year old house and use powerlines and can no longer stream 1:1 BD rips from Network Shares.
post #8489 of 9007 Old 11-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
We moved to a 112 year old house and use powerlines and can no longer stream 1:1 BD rips from Network Shares.
P p poltergeists?
Otter0911 and captainbrent like this.
post #8490 of 9007 Old 11-25-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Either Clown_BD or TSMuxer. Use the defaults. There is not much to set since you are not re-coding anything, just re-muxing into a different package.
Can someone tell me the best link to use for TSMuxer? Seems like there are many and I just want the most trusted one. I think I'll play around with the re-muxing and/or compression this weekend if possible. Thanks.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page