Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 289 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 669Likes

post #8641 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Basically, spanning is the same as RAID 0. If one drive fails, you lose everything.

Yup. I'm more of a RAID 5 guy. Mirroring takes too much storage. At least with a parity drive I can recover from a bad drive (even if it takes a long time to do it).

Cary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
That configuration does not provide me with a backup.
Raid Mirror rarely fails. Easiest of all raid setups. If mirror is broken, good drive can still be used and data rebuilt with ease. It can be read on any PC without the raid card that created it.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!

Last edited by blackssr; 12-21-2015 at 11:54 AM.
post #8643 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
Yup. I'm more of a RAID 5 guy. Mirroring takes too much storage. At least with a parity drive I can recover from a bad drive (even if it takes a long time to do it).

Cary
On larger arrays, Raid 6 is gaining traction. The odds of loosing two drives at the same time is rare. Not an excuse for an actual backup but for video servers it gives the extra piece of mind. Most mid range hardware cards have some kind of email client to alert admin of issues.

post #8644 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Is this new? Love the progress to defeat this cancer.

post #8645 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Basically, spanning is the same as RAID 0. If one drive fails, you lose everything.
I have never used JBOD or spanning before. Always used Raid Mirror, 5 and now 6. Is the data lost on JBOD just the data on the failed drive? Can they be read separately in the event of failure or does the entire JBOD depand on all drives being in the array?

post #8646 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
The "mirror" is not a backup. A true backup can only be a separate set that's kept offsite. Now I know that's not reasonable for most of us, but you can certainly keep a separate set somewhere else that wont fail if the common enclosure causes your main and mirror to fail.
^ This. The mirrored RAID also does not protect me from user error. Like accidentally deleting files.
pepar likes this.
post #8647 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Could this be a real cure? Anyone try this yet? Unless people are burning rips to a disc, what players/streamers are people using where they are being affected by Cinavia?

Wish they would work on software that will do a better job of finding the correct playlist for obfuscated titles.
post #8648 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1730 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Quote:
Could this be a real cure? Unless people are burning rips to a disc, what players/streamers are people using where they are being affected by Cinavia?
I think there are some Samsung BD players that will respond to Cinavia while media streaming. My Oppo 103D ignores Cinavia on streaming content.
post #8649 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Could this be a real cure? Anyone try this yet? Unless people are burning rips to a disc, what players/streamers are people using where they are being affected by Cinavia?

Wish they would work on software that will do a better job of finding the correct playlist for obfuscated titles.
Read into it a bit. Right now the list of supported titles is pretty small. So you're not getting much for your license fee till they add more titles. Each title is different and needs a different "fix".
post #8650 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Read into it a bit. Right now the list of supported titles is pretty small. So you're not getting much for your license fee till they add more titles. Each title is different and needs a different "fix".
It says it does loss less audio. I have no player in my home at all. I have been discless for 6 years now so I can not confirm. Has anyone confirmed it leaves HD audio intact? If so, it is a game changer.

On second thought. I may go buy an BD player tonight and test out. I leave for NY on Wednesday so I have to move quick.

post #8651 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I have never used JBOD or spanning before. Always used Raid Mirror, 5 and now 6. Is the data lost on JBOD just the data on the failed drive? Can they be read separately in the event of failure or does the entire JBOD depand on all drives being in the array?
In JBOD, only the data on the failed disk is lost and the rest of the disks can be read normally.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #8652 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In JBOD, only the data on the failed disk is lost and the rest of the disks can be read normally.
Does it load data in order? Drive 1, then drive 2 .. etc or by size or date added?

post #8653 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
engh, that's rubbish.
post #8654 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is JBOD the same thing as a span? On a (Windows) span I have never seen this. I just killed my span so that I could add a 5TB disk to it. When you delete 1 disk in the array, all the others go gray and inactive in Disk Manager. It disappears from "My Computer". Even taking 1 of the disks and popping it into another Windows machine, the machine would know it belonged to another span and report the other disks as missing. = No access.

I have always wondered how I would be able to identify which disk has gone bad. I guess it wouldn't populate in Disk Manager at all. Luckily (knock knock) I have never had to find out.
post #8655 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does it load data in order? Drive 1, then drive 2 .. etc or by size or date added?
You can load your data to any drive you like.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #8656 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We get it blackssr. I am not saying my setup is the best and everyone should use it. I'm just saying that it works for me by giving me piece of mind (at the expense of spending a lot of $ for half the storage capacity ).
post #8657 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is JBOD the same thing as a span? On a (Windows) span I have never seen this. I just killed my span so that I could add a 5TB disk to it. When you delete 1 disk in the array, all the others go gray and inactive in Disk Manager. It disappears from "My Computer". Even taking 1 of the disks and popping it into another Windows machine, the machine would know it belonged to another span and report the other disks as missing. = No access.

I have always wondered how I would be able to identify which disk has gone bad. I guess it wouldn't populate in Disk Manager at all. Luckily (knock knock) I have never had to find out.
No, JBOD and Span are two different things. JBOD stands for Just a Bunch Of Disks, and they are independent of each other. This is obviously not the way to go if you need to have data available to people all the time, but for HT where you probably also have your movies backed up somewhere else, and/or, you have the actual movie dvds/BDs, then JBOD gives you more space and works quite nicely.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #8658 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We get it blackssr. I am not saying my setup is the best and everyone should use it. I'm just saying that it works for me by giving me piece of mind (at the expense of spending a lot of $ for half the storage capacity ).
Get what? I am asking because I really do not know. I have never tinkered with a JBOD or spanned setup. I have always used raid in my personal and business setups. My questions were not directed to you or your setup. When you first asked about the Dunes you were hesitant, now you love them. Give other setups a try you may find they work better and are more efficient. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by blackssr; 12-21-2015 at 03:03 PM.
post #8659 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1730 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Quote:
engh, that's rubbish.
If I'm not mistaken, that's pretty much how AnyDVD works, a new title very often needs to be "engineered" by the AnyDVD staff and an update is made available to fix ripping issues. The title you get in January may not be rippable until you get an updated version of the software, or at least the data needed to do so will be added to the online database. It's a moving target and it seems very reasonable to me that DVDFab is building a Cinavia crack database, a database that will continually be updated.
captainbrent likes this.
post #8660 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
Thanks! Off topic and I won't labor the point, but I have a question. When you attach storage to a Windows box, is it possible to aggregate them such that other devices on the network see only one SMB storage device? (all the drives aggregated as one huge storage device?).
Yes you can, by using drive aggregation/pooling software such as what comes with FlexRaid. The drives retain their individuality and can be given drive letters if they need to be accessed directly. The software can be told not to split a file across 2 drives. A drive can be easily removed from or added to the array. If a drive goes down you don't lose the array, only the 1 drive -- that is unless you have the software Raid (FlexRaid) running.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8661 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Does DVDfab still sell two separate versions of their suite, the neutered version that actually does nothing in respects to ripping and the international version that does everything as advertised?

Thanks,
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
post #8662 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
It says it does loss less audio. I have no player in my home at all. I have been discless for 6 years now so I can not confirm. Has anyone confirmed it leaves HD audio intact? If so, it is a game changer.

On second thought. I may go buy an BD player tonight and test out. I leave for NY on Wednesday so I have to move quick.
It outputs DTS-MA or DTHD decoded to LPCM audio, while downloading bits of data and replacing the damaged bits of audio that create the Cinavia data. So in that respect it gives you better audio than was there to start. Cinavia infected audio is NOT lossless audio. For most folks it will be indistinguishable from the original audio.
post #8663 of 9487 Old 12-21-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that's pretty much how AnyDVD works, a new title very often needs to be "engineered" by the AnyDVD staff and an update is made available to fix ripping issues.
This is how every ripper software is doing it cause Hollywood just can't stop trying to find a protection that works this time around, talk about insanity. Still, given how Cinvavia works, I very much doubt that even an individual approach can remove it without audible degration of quality. Fortunately none of my playback devices will ever care about Cinavia so I'm not very motivated to test this myself.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #8664 of 9487 Old 12-22-2015, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 138
The larger the array, the more parity drives are needed IMO. The problem isn't one or two drives failing at the same time during normal operation, it's when a drive fails while your array is degraded for hours or even days while your large array is rebuilding.
post #8665 of 9487 Old 12-22-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Get what? I am asking because I really do not know. I have never tinkered with a JBOD or spanned setup. I have always used raid in my personal and business setups. My questions were not directed to you or your setup. When you first asked about the Dunes you were hesitant, now you love them. Give other setups a try you may find they work better and are more efficient. Just a suggestion.
My appologies. I thought you were trying to prove a point.
post #8666 of 9487 Old 12-22-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that's pretty much how AnyDVD works, a new title very often needs to be "engineered" by the AnyDVD staff and an update is made available to fix ripping issues. The title you get in January may not be rippable until you get an updated version of the software, or at least the data needed to do so will be added to the online database. It's a moving target and it seems very reasonable to me that DVDFab is building a Cinavia crack database, a database that will continually be updated.
Sorry, but IMO having to pay for software that will not work until the crack has been figured out does not work for me. Especially since more and more discs have this now. And I wonder how much of a concern this is to all of us on here. Who is cinavia affecting on here?
post #8667 of 9487 Old 12-22-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Who is cinavia affecting on here?
Me, but I have other playback options for those titles. It's not a show-stopper.
post #8668 of 9487 Old 12-22-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My appologies. I thought you were trying to prove a point.
No worries.

post #8669 of 9487 Old 12-22-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, but IMO having to pay for software that will not work until the crack has been figured out does not work for me. Especially since more and more discs have this now. And I wonder how much of a concern this is to all of us on here. Who is cinavia affecting on here?
I agree with your comment. Cinavia doesn't effect me at all. I do not even own a physical BD player. I just enjoy following tech. DVD ranger was the first to make progress, then AnyDVDHD/CloneBD, and now DVDFab. Each attempt progresses the removal further. I am hoping for a real time, on the fly solution. The database thing doesn't sit well with me for a number of reasons.

The annoying playlist issue is a pain to deal with but easily circumvented. A few hours after release the correct playlist is found and posted around the globe. That is just a bump in the road. Cinavia has proven to be effective and has given the most resistance but I believe the removal in real time may happen.

post #8670 of 9487 Old 12-22-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
The larger the array, the more parity drives are needed IMO. The problem isn't one or two drives failing at the same time during normal operation, it's when a drive fails while your array is degraded for hours or even days while your large array is rebuilding.
I have a client with a hardware raid 6. He had 8- 5 TB drives. I expanded his array last month. I added 5 drives and it took 4 days to complete the expansion. I assume rebuilding would take the same. I advised him not to use the array and I assume he listened because no issues arose. I logged in once a day to check the status. It was about 25% per day. He had about 23 TB used out of 27 TB when we started the expansion. I really do not know if amount of data effects expansion or rebuild time. I assume it may but have no hard data to back up that claim. I have not had many expansions or failures in the 6 years I have been doing video arrays for Dunes and the like to compare notes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page