Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 292 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 840Likes

Old 12-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Is there a specific guide here on how to take a downloaded blu-ray (30-50GB torrent let's say) and burn in to a playable blu-ray disc?

I've noticed that the mkv 1080p blu ray files are much poorer quality than actual blu-ray discs on my new larger front projection screen setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Is there a specific guide here on how to take a downloaded blu-ray (30-50GB torrent let's say) and burn in to a playable blu-ray disc?

I've noticed that the mkv 1080p blu ray files are much poorer quality than actual blu-ray discs on my new larger front projection screen setup.
I doubt screen size alone has anything to do with it. Nothing is going to improve a downloaded torrent. I doubt the ones you download are 30-50GB anyway. You'll have to complain to the originator of the torrent to get a better copy. Remember beggars can't be choosers afterall. Now if you take a BluRay that you own and rip it with MakeMKV the resultant MKV file will be an exact 1-to-1 copy of the movie.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
Old 12-27-2015, 10:10 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4754 Post(s)
Liked: 2804
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
I doubt screen size alone has anything to do with it. Nothing is going to improve a downloaded torrent. I doubt the ones you download are 30-50GB anyway. You'll have to complain to the originator of the torrent to get a better copy. Remember beggars can't be choosers afterall. Now if you take a BluRay that you own and rip it with MakeMKV the resultant MKV file will be an exact 1-to-1 copy of the movie.
Yes. Whether I play the BD ISO, or an MKV of just the movie, or the actual Blu-ray Disc. The picture and audio quality is identical. I only do 1:1 rips.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 12-27-2015, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
On warez boards? Sure. Here? Probably not so much.
pepar, captainbrent and artur9 like this.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
Old 12-28-2015, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I watched the 3D version of The Wizard of Oz the other day and really enjoyed it. It is apparently the 75th anniversary, if the packaging can be believed.

The reason I mention this in this thread is because there is apparently a market for 3D conversions of classic films. This may be old news to some of you folks, but I am kind of new to considering these things, and am happy that it exists. I hope they do well selling the 3D Wiz, and decide to do more of these.

The conversion was, in my unschooled opinion, well done. There was good depth added to most scenes. It just added to the realism rather than distracting. I don't recall seeing any pop-outs.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
Old 12-28-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
How do you manage your movies with all those drive letters? What front end do you use or just file browser in the player?
Finally back on-line - sorry for replying 'late'. I assign a drive letter for each drive. That's one reason why I had to 'upgrade' my 1TB drives to 2TB and now I just plugged in my first 5TB drive.

Not only do I have multiple drives connected to my A400 but I have 3 connected to my A110 that sits in the living room. Right now I have drive letters A-M and O-P and R-Z are taken.
1 drive letter is my mediareader (never used), 1 virtual drive, 1 BD reader/writer, 1 BD/HDDVD reader, two internal drives to my PC, 18 drives connected to either the A400 or A110.

I have a spreadsheet for each media drive and keep track of what movies, tv shows, sporting events are on each drive.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 12-28-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
I watched the 3D version of The Wizard of Oz the other day and really enjoyed it. It is apparently the 75th anniversary, if the packaging can be believed.

The reason I mention this in this thread is because there is apparently a market for 3D conversions of classic films. This may be old news to some of you folks, but I am kind of new to considering these things, and am happy that it exists. I hope they do well selling the 3D Wiz, and decide to do more of these.

The conversion was, in my unschooled opinion, well done. There was good depth added to most scenes. It just added to the realism rather than distracting. I don't recall seeing any pop-outs.
It depends on how well of a job they do. I have the Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D that I have yet to watch since I've heard it's horrible. I'm a 3D fan - I have well over 100 titles and some, of course, are better than others.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 12-28-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
It depends on how well of a job they do. I have the Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D that I have yet to watch since I've heard it's horrible. I'm a 3D fan - I have well over 100 titles and some, of course, are better than others.
OOPS! I thought I was in the 3D thread when I wrote that. Apologies! Too many things going on at once.

Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
Old 12-28-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1947
I've been using MakeMKV to rip Blurays with 5.1 audio, but just got a bunch of Atmos Blurays for Chrostmas and am struggling to understand how to rip them. If I choose only one of the 5.1 tracks, the MKVs play fine, but if I either only choose 7.1 or choose both 7.1 and the 5.1 nested underneath, the MKV is not recognized by my player (Sony).

So my two questions are:

which Audio options are generally used to rip Atmos Blurays? (I've been creating 3 MKVs, one with 5.1 only, a second with 7.1 only, and a third with 7.1 and nested 5.1, since I currently have disk space to burn and am learning about Atmos)

What players are people using to play back Atmos MKVs? My Sony Bluray player will stream Atmos video demos off of VUDU but only recognizes MKVs through USB and only supports 5.1 Audio when played through USB...
Old 12-28-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I've been using MakeMKV to rip Blurays with 5.1 audio, but just got a bunch of Atmos Blurays for Chrostmas and am struggling to understand how to rip them. If I choose only one of the 5.1 tracks, the MKVs play fine, but if I either only choose 7.1 or choose both 7.1 and the 5.1 nested underneath, the MKV is not recognized by my player (Sony).

So my two questions are:

which Audio options are generally used to rip Atmos Blurays? (I've been creating 3 MKVs, one with 5.1 only, a second with 7.1 only, and a third with 7.1 and nested 5.1, since I currently have disk space to burn and am learning about Atmos)

What players are people using to play back Atmos MKVs? My Sony Bluray player will stream Atmos video demos off of VUDU but only recognizes MKVs through USB and only supports 5.1 Audio when played through USB...
At present there don't appear to be any ripping tools that will deliver the needed AC3 data in an MKV container for Atmos. Try M2TS and see if that goes better. Can't help you with your particular player, but any player capable of bitstreaming the 7.1 DTHD track should work.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

So my two questions are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
At present there don't appear to be any ripping tools that will deliver the needed AC3 data in an MKV container for Atmos. Try M2TS and see if that goes better. Can't help you with your particular player, but any player capable of bitstreaming the 7.1 DTHD track should work.
With MakeMKV you can rip the underlying AC3 track being added as a secondary track to the TrueHD/Atmos track. This is what I do so I can still play back my mkvs with audio on devices that cannot decode TrueHD/Atmos (of course just having to manually switch to the AC3 track)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 12-29-2015, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
Bickering removed. Infractions issued.

Discuss the topic and not each other.

Also note that this is for the discussion of ripping Blu-Ray discs you own or rent, not making discs from torrents. That runs into the gray area of copyright infringement which AVS will have no part of.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Hey guys, I am demoting my Windows 7 machine to just serving up movies. Until now I used it for web browsing, editing, etc. I am running a minimalist setup. Does it make sense to have anitvirus and Malwarebytes on this? It will never be used to browse the web or email. I know those synology/Drobo NAS machines don't have any of this, right?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Hey guys, I am demoting my Windows 7 machine to just serving up movies. Until now I used it for web browsing, editing, etc. I am running a minimalist setup. Does it make sense to have anitvirus and Malwarebytes on this? It will never be used to browse the web or email. I know those synology/Drobo NAS machines don't have any of this, right?
I run my server with W7 and no virus or malware protection. I did re-install a clean system and only loaded needed apps that were verified from another PC. Other than that, the serve never connects to the internet for anything other than Windows updates. As long as you don't install anything or surf the web with it then there should be absolutely no way to infect it.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
I run my server with W7 and no virus or malware protection. I did re-install a clean system and only loaded needed apps that were verified from another PC. Other than that, the serve never connects to the internet for anything other than Windows updates. As long as you don't install anything or surf the web with it then there should be absolutely no way to infect it.
Thanks, These are the only functions this pc will perform:
Windows updates
Power DVD playback/Updates
DVDfab updates/access to their internal database
yaDIS management (TMDB)
Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Bickering removed. Infractions issued.

Discuss the topic and not each other.

Also note that this is for the discussion of ripping Blu-Ray discs you own or rent, not making discs from torrents. That runs into the gray area of copyright infringement which AVS will have no part of.
Pretty sure backing up your Blu-Ray disc is illegal and blatant copyright infringement. Downloading from torrents is theft, let's not confuse the issues.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
Pretty sure backing up your Blu-Ray disc is illegal and blatant copyright infringement. Downloading from torrents is theft, let's not confuse the issues.
Is there a "legal issues" thread somewhere? It was my understanding that it is perfectly legal to back up discs that you yourself own.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
Is there a "legal issues" thread somewhere? It was my understanding that it is perfectly legal to back up discs that you yourself own.
It is not legal, but I am not sure if it is specific to certain countries. In the US it is "illegal" b/c you need to break the encryption in order to do.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 12-29-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
......Also note that this is for the discussion of ripping Blu-Ray discs you own or rent......
Since others are bringing this up. I noticed the work "rent" here. That must have been a mistake. No?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:
Thanks, These are the only functions this pc will perform:
Windows updates
Power DVD playback/Updates
DVDfab updates/access to their internal database
yaDIS management (TMDB)
I use Microsoft Security Essentials.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Legal, Not Legal, whatever. I purchase a BD to watch the movie not to go through 10 minutes of garbage before I get to the movie. So I rip my BD onto my server without all the crap and play it from my HTPC. I put the disc back into the jacket, store and move on. Would rather buy the digital copy anyway. Don't understand at all, how it is illegal to protect my purchase from being scratched, eaten by dog, thrown as freebies or whatever. It my disc and who am I hurting by ripping it onto my server? There is no victim here so wheres the crime?

Just my 2 cents. Mute discussion.
DrDon, pepar and captainbrent like this.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2 Bed), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4 Monitor Series II, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1-Klipsch RW12D, Sub 2-MTX SW2
Projector-Optoma HD33 DLP 3D, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Insignia 65" LCD 1080p (NS-65D550NA15)
Old 12-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
The way I view it (and the argument I used in allowing this thread to stand): so long as the copyright holders are properly compensated, what you do with something within the confines of your own home is fair game. Which is why Hollywood won't go after rippers of legally-obtained material. They won't win that. Can't prove damages.

If you want to discuss this, feel free to take it to PM. Not here, though. Too much off-topic as it is.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What harm will it do? My HTPC is also a server. It's on a network with other PCs and Macs in the house. Virus can travel through the network so I see no harm in running Antivirus on your HTPC or Server. And we say "never be used to browse the web or email" but in reality, you might just might use that browser, even if for searching and downloading a driver or two...

Viruses are nasty little things and there are plenty of capable free Anti-Virus programs that just run in the background...

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2 Bed), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4 Monitor Series II, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1-Klipsch RW12D, Sub 2-MTX SW2
Projector-Optoma HD33 DLP 3D, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Insignia 65" LCD 1080p (NS-65D550NA15)
Old 12-29-2015, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

LOL forgot why I came over here!

I want to get my Roku 2 setup for playing movies off of the server.

My library consist of primarily MKVs
I use WHS2011 via Hyper-V on a W8.1 machine
I use My Movies for the Database
I still play most of my movies either directly from HD via WMP or use WMC when showing off.
I am not sure if I should install Plex Server on the WHS2011 or W8.1

I tried to setup recently but got frustrated with all of the security barriers in WHS2011 and Plex trying to access the internet. Any suggestions what is the best option or approach? Is it even worth it?

My Media Room
Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post

Just my 2 cents. Mute discussion.
I think it is "moot" but you are spot on with your take on it. If it were a mute discussion, we wouldn't have the fuss we have.

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
(I came, I saw, I drank wine!)
Old 12-29-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
LOL forgot why I came over here!

I want to get my Roku 2 setup for playing movies off of the server.

My library consist of primarily MKVs
I use WHS2011 via Hyper-V on a W8.1 machine
I use My Movies for the Database
I still play most of my movies either directly from HD via WMP or use WMC when showing off.
I am not sure if I should install Plex Server on the WHS2011 or W8.1

I tried to setup recently but got frustrated with all of the security barriers in WHS2011 and Plex trying to access the internet. Any suggestions what is the best option or approach? Is it even worth it?
I have had no luck playing mkv from a roku 2 or 3 so you will need Plex or jriver to reencode it, for playback.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
I have had no luck playing mkv from a roku 2 or 3 so you will need Plex or jriver to reencode it, for playback.
How well of a job do either of them do? I rip my BD at around 8-10GB. Don't notice much difference there vs 1:1 rips which eat up alot of HD space. I have a Gigabit Network so bandwidth is not an issue and the server is an i5 2500k, 8GB Ram PC. However, one of the HTPCs that I wanted to replace with a Roku 2 is on Wifi.

My Media Room
Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
I think it is "moot" but you are spot on with your take on it. If it were a mute discussion, we wouldn't have the fuss we have.
ROTFLMAO!!!! You know, for the longest, I use to say, nip it in the butt! Duh.

My Media Room
Old 12-29-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
How well of a job do either of them do? I rip my BD at around 8-10GB. Don't notice much difference there vs 1:1 rips which eat up alot of HD space. I have a Gigabit Network so bandwidth is not an issue and the server is an i5 2500k, 8GB Ram PC. However, one of the HTPCs that I wanted to replace with a Roku 2 is on Wifi.
I rip lossless uncompressed MKV's of blu-ray and DVD's and use Plex on a Roku 2 to view them. My setup is totally wireless from the plex server to the roku and it works decent enough.

Additionally in Plex you can set the bandwidth limitations on what it streams to all devices to lighten the load. IE stream in 720p instead of 1080, or use one of the smaller bandwidth 1080's...

That said if your hardwired I wouldn't think that would be an issue. If anything the only issue would be ensuring the Roku can do 5.1 or 7.1 lossless which I am not sure about given I am using a soundbar in my bedroom with the Roku.

My Setup | FS: 15" Martycube

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Old 12-29-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What harm will it do?
I just didn't want the extra services running or impromptu scans going on when it's streaming media.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper