Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 295 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 774Likes

Old 01-09-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Server Discussion

We've hijacked this thread enough. Let's move Video Server discussion over here.

What operating system do you use for Media Server Duties?

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
This is why I think a dedicated thread for people that use Windows as a server would be helpful. I was thinking of updated to Win10 to take advantage of storage spaces but I am reluctant because of all the things you mentioned. Kelson, have you tried Win8? What was your rationale for moving to Win10?

Old 01-09-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I'm game... we've hijacked this thread a ton. Plus this would help with my server rebuild. I just bought a Middle Atlantic rack, 16 port Gigabit PoE switch and a 1000 feet of Ethernet cable. The plan is to put in a nice iStarUSA case with 10 hot swappable drives and use my existing server as a security camera server as well. I think for the time being I'm going to stick with Win10... so a thread would be perfect to bounce ideas around.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have a question about MultiAVCHD, does anyone that follows this thread regularly use this?
Old 01-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Any particular BD drives for PC's I should consider or stay away from for ripping?

Last edited by OrlandoD; 01-11-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoD View Post
Any particular BD drives for PC's I should consider or stay away from for ripping?
The Pioneer BDR-209DBK has been rock solid for me.
OrlandoD likes this.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The Pioneer BDR-209DBK has been rock solid for me.
To take this a step further; How about drives that are capable of reading/writing triple and quad layer discs to mess around with UHD discs when they're released. I'm curious what tricks the new media is going to have.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Did you quote the wrong message? I didn't say anything about a media player. My reply was to Kelson about running our of drive letters in Windows.
Let me rephrase - that only works for drives directly connected to your PC - it doesn't work for drives connected to external sources (not directly connected to the PC).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 01-12-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Has anyone been able to Rip their copy of the new Fantastic Four Blu Ray? I have the newest DVD Fab and Latest version of MakeMKV and MakeMKV gives me an error half way through the rip and DVD Fab says the following =(

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD Fab Error.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1181418  

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Has anyone been able to Rip their copy of the new Fantastic Four Blu Ray? I have the newest DVD Fab and Latest version of MakeMKV and MakeMKV gives me an error half way through the rip and DVD Fab says the following =(

From what I understand they're working on it I can't rip it either also try to rip the Martian receive the same message I was wondering if there's any other program other than DVD fab that would rip these movies
Old 01-12-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaha View Post
From what I understand they're working on it I can't rip it either also try to rip the Martian receive the same message I was wondering if there's any other program other than DVD fab that would rip these movies
My Primary is MakeMKV and that didn't work and I have a lifetime license for Fab so I went to that, it updated to the latest and gave me the finger when I tried it. So I have that to look forward to for the Martian as well huh? Bummer that should be at my house tomorrow =(

Fab says they are working on it and it will auto-magically work once they put the information in their database. MakeMKV seemed to have something on their site as well so I assume a new version will be released that will address it.

Sadly I don't even have Blu-Ray player in my Home Theater, I buy / rip / watch via my Mede8er or Plex so this will be an interesting twist as i was planning on watching the Martian this weekend.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
My Primary is MakeMKV and that didn't work and I have a lifetime license for Fab so I went to that, it updated to the latest and gave me the finger when I tried it. So I have that to look forward to for the Martian as well huh? Bummer that should be at my house tomorrow =(

Fab says they are working on it and it will auto-magically work once they put the information in their database. MakeMKV seemed to have something on their site as well so I assume a new version will be released that will address it.

Sadly I don't even have Blu-Ray player in my Home Theater, I buy / rip / watch via my Mede8er or Plex so this will be an interesting twist as i was planning on watching the Martian this weekend.
They seem to be working on it for a while now because I bought Fantastic 4 when it came out . Same here I buy rip and download to nas and play through dune and control4
Old 01-13-2016, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I was able to rip it with no probs using MakeMKV
Old 01-13-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post
I was able to rip it with no probs using MakeMKV
What version? I've tried it on two different systems with the latest version v1.9.8 win(x64-release) and it gets to about 10 minutes in to the process and starts to give me errors then will eventually fail. The disc doesn't have any visible issues / obstructions that I can see. I am ripping the main movie along with the HD 7.1 Audio Track.

Interestingly enough I just tried it again and it still failed but it seemed to get much further along than before. Hmmmm

Old 01-13-2016, 06:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1903 Post(s)
Liked: 829
I've noticed some disc access issues on recent titles. Try copying the disc to hard drive first, then decrypting that with MakeMKV.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 01-13-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
What version? I've tried it on two different systems with the latest version v1.9.8 win(x64-release) and it gets to about 10 minutes in to the process and starts to give me errors then will eventually fail. The disc doesn't have any visible issues / obstructions that I can see. I am ripping the main movie along with the HD 7.1 Audio Track.

Interestingly enough I just tried it again and it still failed but it seemed to get much further along than before. Hmmmm
It appears to me that you are trying to use MakeMKV to extract the main title directly off the disk.

Try the following: use the MakeMKV backup option and attempt to rip the entire disk to your HDD (make sure the decrypt box is checked). If that is successful then use MakeMKV on that ripped copy to extract the main title to an MKV.

I've been using MakeMKV for a while now to do full disk BD rips and it has never failed yet. I then use other software to extract the main title, etc.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 01-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

MakeMKV v1.9.7

Main Movie with TrueHD 7.1
Old 01-13-2016, 07:52 AM

Is the mkv sight safe? I have a mac and it advises me to change gatekeeper settings kinda leery of doing this and do they charge a fee. Don't know to much about mkv have dvdfab for an eternity
Old 01-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is the mkv sight safe? I have a mac and it advises me to change gatekeeper settings kinda leery of doing this and do they charge a fee. Don't know to much about mkv have dvdfab for an eternity
Yes it's safe. Been using for years.

You can buy a License but it's free while in Beta (long time in Beta), Mike the Admin puts a new key up in the forums when it expires.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
I haven't tried the fantastic 4 but I ripped the Martian last night with no problems. I use tsMuxer with ANYdvd.
blackssr likes this.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp-knight View Post
I haven't tried the fantastic 4 but I ripped the Martian last night with no problems. I use tsMuxer with ANYdvd.
AnyDVDHD, Clown_BD and tsMuxer are what I use for 2D and 3D respectively. They never miss a beat, even when dealing with Atmos and 3D.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by igboo View Post
To take this a step further; How about drives that are capable of reading/writing triple and quad layer discs to mess around with UHD discs when they're released. I'm curious what tricks the new media is going to have.
None of the current Blu-Ray drives will work with UHD discs... The current drives do not support multi-layer discs other than dual-layer. This will require new hardware.

Also note that UHD discs will be recorded in H.265 compression instead of Blu-Rays's H.264 due to its more efficient compression algorithm...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Have any PC readers been announced yet? Without them our ripping days are over. Time to find a new hobby. Maybe I'll start working out more.... nah .. who I am kidding.)
jhughy2010 likes this.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
None of the current Blu-Ray drives will work with UHD discs... The current drives do not support multi-layer discs other than dual-layer. This will require new hardware.

Also note that UHD discs will be recorded in H.265 compression instead of Blu-Rays's H.264 due to its more efficient compression algorithm...
My Pioneer BDR-2209 BDXL drive does support quad layer discs. I have no idea if it will be compatible with UHD Blu-ray discs.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It appears to me that you are trying to use MakeMKV to extract the main title directly off the disk.

Try the following: use the MakeMKV backup option and attempt to rip the entire disk to your HDD (make sure the decrypt box is checked). If that is successful then use MakeMKV on that ripped copy to extract the main title to an MKV.

I've been using MakeMKV for a while now to do full disk BD rips and it has never failed yet. I then use other software to extract the main title, etc.
Interesting this worked without any issue whatsoever. I haven't played back the rip yet but it did the full backup then I did the main movie rip and both completed without error. Cool!!!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 01-13-2016, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
^^ You're welcome

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 01-13-2016, 09:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4103 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

??? A BDXL drive handles up to 4 layers and 128GB. They have been around for awhile now.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 01-14-2016, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Personnaly i use DVDFab and rip the bluray in HEVC MKV but it takes 8H or more with my PC .
Old 01-14-2016, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 123
anydvd rip to ISO done. FF and Martian play back flawlessly through Oppo 103D via ISO on hard drive..although i want the nearly two hours i spent watching FF back in my life....ugh...
fatherom likes this.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 66
hmmmm, a proprietary media not available to the public requiring proprietary hardware not available to the public. Seems like someone got smart. If those smarts were around at the dawn of DVD/BD, I have a feeling this forum would not exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper