Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 298 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 551Likes

Old 01-20-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusse View Post
Ok, good to know. The Vten will play the MKV just fine. My blu-ray player is supposed to, but it locks up. It can play the M2TS though so I thought it would be handy to use M2TS so both units could play. But I may just not worry about the blu-ray player and go with MKV for the 2D content and call it a day. I will grab the AnyDVD while on sale since the common thread seems to suggest it is good to have and it will do the ISO for the 3D nicely (I guess for full frame. Haven't really read anything to support that guess).

-B
I've been using AnyDVDHD for 3D ISO rips and they rip 'perfect'. Full HD video and audio.
bbusse likes this.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When 4k bluray arrives will we need a 4k bluray recorder to rip these disc?
Old 01-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Reader to rip. Writer (recorder) to ... write.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So is an external SSD a worthwhile investment when ripping and processing? Something like a 128 gb or so? They seem somewhat reasonable in price but being external maybe they don't offer enough speed to be useful.

-B
Old 01-21-2016, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
So is an external SSD a worthwhile investment when ripping and processing? Something like a 128 gb or so? They seem somewhat reasonable in price but being external maybe they don't offer enough speed to be useful.
Not really. The fastest you can rip data from a BR disk is about a factor of 5 slower than current hard drives. You might gain something more significant on the processing side (Handbrake for resizing, compressing etc) though.

SSDs on internal interfaces like M.2 / NVME, PCIe, or finally SATA is going to be much faster than external interfaces, which tend to be slow enough to bog down an SSD.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
Old 01-22-2016, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

-B
While not SSD's I do use at least one external HD in conjunction with my internal primary and ClownBD for ripping. I set the temp folder on one drive and the completed folder on the other. This helps the the final step the TSmuxer portion of CBD a lot.

Bill
Old 01-22-2016, 06:10 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

-B
1. The RIPPING won't happen any faster, but the downstream processes (extracting main movie, desired audio and, if needed, subs, remuxing, etc) will be sped up immensely. Batch processing multiple rips simultaneously makes SSDs even more of A Good Thing. but even a one-at-a-time workflow will benefit. Of course, SSDs or spinning platters, "bouncing" as Bill describes above is a must.

2. It's all about the bus. If you can use SATA3 externally, go for it. But that interface standard has been eclipsed by NVMe which is used over PCIe and m.2, two connectors available only internally.

On that last point, my present hotrod BOOTS blazingly fast from an Intel PCIe/NVMe card. Being the application drive as well as OS, apps open in a blink. However, with all slots stuffed (RAID, premium audio, USB 3.1, etc.), my three SSDs run "only" at SATA III speeds on mobo connectors.

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 01-22-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
As has been noted, only when disk transfer is the bottle-neck and not the video processing. Something like ripping is clearly a case in which the processing clearly exceeds the transfer speeds to storage media. For something like Clown_BD in which data is read, processed and written in a stream -- having a pair of HDD's in play so that one is read from and the other is written to simultaneously, greatly speeds up the process. However, on my system, the rate of processing does not exceed the speed of the HDD transfers so there would be no benefit to SSD's. If your system is faster to process it may be worth it to you.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 01-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Wireless member

Kelson, do you know if Clown BD and associated utils use different cores/threads when multiple instances are launched?

Jeff
Old 01-22-2016, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Kelson, do you know if Clown BD and associated utils use different cores/threads when multiple instances are launched?

Jeff
The primary utilities that chew up all the CPU time and run for an extended period are "eac3to" to demux all the selected streams and "TSMuxer" to remux the streams. The other utilities to handle forced subtitles do their job in the blink of an eye. When they run they hog all the CPU power and from Task Manager they are keeping all the CPU's of my i7 busy. I don't know if they are actually multi-threaded or not.

The de-muxing and re-muxing processes run between 2 SATA-III HDD's and are clearly CPU bound and not HDD bound. I don't believe SSD's would help.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 01-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
The primary utilities that chew up all the CPU time and run for an extended period are "eac3to" to demux all the selected streams and "TSMuxer" to remux the streams. The other utilities to handle forced subtitles do their job in the blink of an eye. When they run they hog all the CPU power and from Task Manager they are keeping all the CPU's of my i7 busy. I don't know if they are actually multi-threaded or not.

The de-muxing and re-muxing processes run between 2 SATA-III HDD's and are clearly CPU bound and not HDD bound. I don't believe SSD's would help.
I'd guess both de- and re-muxing are linear in that the movie frames must be processed sequentially. Parallelism (multithread/multicore) would not help. I will try processing one title and look at per core CPU usage. Then two and three titles. Sort of depressing to think that 6/8 core i7's run into something so simple that chokes them. One might be better off with a handful of less expensive mATX mini boxes.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How to change incorrect playlist on ripped movie?

hi,
is there any way to modify an (.iso file or folder) with a FULL 3d bluray movie in order to
change the playlist to be played to the correct 765.mpls after it was ripped specifying the wrong playlist???
i know the correct playlist is 765, but powerdvd won't play it now that it was ripped wrong.

does anydvdhd or dvdfab have a tool to change playlist???

i'm using powerdvd11.

thanks for any help with this.
tlochner
Old 01-22-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlochner View Post
hi,
is there any way to modify an (.iso file or folder) with a FULL 3d bluray movie in order to
change the playlist to be played to the correct 765.mpls after it was ripped specifying the wrong playlist???
i know the correct playlist is 765, but powerdvd won't play it now that it was ripped wrong.

does anydvdhd or dvdfab have a tool to change playlist???

i'm using powerdvd11.

thanks for any help with this.
tlochner
Will pdvd play the native file? What about using bdinfo and finding the corresponding m2ts file for the playlist you want and strip out the m2ts files from the bdmv folder?
Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Will pdvd play the native file? What about using bdinfo and finding the corresponding m2ts file for the playlist you want and strip out the m2ts files from the bdmv folder?
i can rip out the correct playlist using tools, but that eliminates the menu and the extras.
is there a way to modify the files, so that bluray players can get the correct playlist and play the entire disk correctly?

currently powerdvd just hangs after the intro, because it doesn't know how to play it? the playlist is wrong.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
i can rip out the correct playlist using tools, but that eliminates the menu and the extras.
is there a way to modify the files, so that bluray players can get the correct playlist and play the entire disk correctly?

currently powerdvd just hangs after the intro, because it doesn't know how to play it? the playlist is wrong.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Wireless member

Was the playlist/"main movie" and audio extracted from the BD or was there a 1:1 rip done? You can't reselect what isn't there.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Was the playlist/"main movie" and audio extracted from the BD or was there a 1:1 rip done? You can't reselect what isn't there.
of course, it was 1:1 rip but the correct playlist of many, playlist obfuscation, that was selected in the rip was wrong.
now when the 1:1 rip tries to play, it can't.
is there a way or a tool that is available that can fix, the FILES for the 1:1 rip to work.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What's the Best External Ripper for mac?
Old 01-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
of course, it was 1:1 rip but the correct playlist of many, playlist obfuscation, that was selected in the rip was wrong.
now when the 1:1 rip tries to play, it can't.
is there a way or a tool that is available that can fix, the FILES for the 1:1 rip to work.
A 1:1 rip means the entire BD is there, the correct playlist as well as all of the wrong playlists, all of the .m2ts files, previews, warnings, audio, subs ... EVERYTHING. IF you selected a playlist at the time of the rip, you don't have a 1:1 rip.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
1. The RIPPING won't happen any faster, but the downstream processes (extracting main movie, desired audio and, if needed, subs, remuxing, etc) will be sped up immensely. Batch processing multiple rips simultaneously makes SSDs even more of A Good Thing. but even a one-at-a-time workflow will benefit. Of course, SSDs or spinning platters, "bouncing" as Bill describes above is a must.

2. It's all about the bus. If you can use SATA3 externally, go for it. But that interface standard has been eclipsed by NVMe which is used over PCIe and m.2, two connectors available only internally.

On that last point, my present hotrod BOOTS blazingly fast from an Intel PCIe/NVMe card. Being the application drive as well as OS, apps open in a blink. However, with all slots stuffed (RAID, premium audio, USB 3.1, etc.), my three SSDs run "only" at SATA III speeds on mobo connectors.

Jeff
Looks like some additional research to see what my system can support will be in order then. I would suspect PCIe may be possible for me. As with everything it will boil down to costs vs speed gain. Thanks.

-B
Old 01-22-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
A 1:1 rip means the entire BD is there, the correct playlist as well as all of the wrong playlists, all of the .m2ts files, previews, warnings, audio, subs ... EVERYTHING. IF you selected a playlist at the time of the rip, you don't have a 1:1 rip.
well many times when a new disk arrives, the rippers are not up to date and they select the wrong playlist when ripping and
it doesn't work. the tool was wrong. yes, they fix after a couple of weeks, but i borrowed the disk from a friend and sent it back.
it was ripped wrong. it needs the correct playlist. i can extract the main movie fine, but i'd like the menu and the extras too.
i was wondering if it could be fixed? are there tools that can repair bd structures or whatever is necessary?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:02 AM
Wireless member

Re-read my post that YOU QUOTED.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:18 AM

Can someone point me to a good tutorial on using ClownBD and the set of programs it uses? I thought I had found something, but have lost it. I want to give it a go and see if I prefer M2TS instead of MKV for my 2D movies.

I have AnyDVD ready to go for that aspect of this.

Thanks.

-B
Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Wireless member

Old 01-23-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
First post of the is this thread would be a good start. And then here

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Clown_BD and here

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...ain-movie-rip/
I knew I saw it somewhere. Thanks.

I think I have everything installed and I made my first attempt with ClownBD. It had problems with the remux not finding the program but I think I got that sorted out. I used the remux on its own to make the movie.

I selected the HD audio tracks, English subtitles and main movie in ClownBD and it built the MT2S file just fine. When I played it the video was fine, but I had just a descriptive video audio track and no selections to turn that off so it had to have been the only track in the file. I have went back to the settings and I do not see anything about this that would suggest I only wanted this type of audio. I wouldn't mind it being there, but I don't want it 99% of the time playing.

I was able to play this file in both my blu-ray and the vten and both had the same descriptive audio playback so I'm puzzled. No settings to turn this off in either player,

What setting am I missing when I ripped this movie? I do not want to start the assembly line until I have this sorted out for fear I'm going to be doing them all again.

edit: so it appears this is some kind of Atmos thing. Still makes no sense. If I put the disc itself in the player it will play back as 7.1 just as you would expect it to. If I do this rip it plays it back at 5.1 with the descriptive audio track. So, hopelessly lost already with the first attempt to do this. Clearly it plays the correct audio so my equipment is decoding it properly and I do not have any Atmos equipment. The Vten is set to passthrough everything so the AVR should be doing its thing.

Thanks.

-B

Last edited by bbusse; 01-23-2016 at 02:42 PM. Reason: adding an updatee
Old 01-23-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
well many times when a new disk arrives, the rippers are not up to date and they select the wrong playlist when ripping and
it doesn't work. the tool was wrong. yes, they fix after a couple of weeks, but i borrowed the disk from a friend and sent it back.
it was ripped wrong. it needs the correct playlist. i can extract the main movie fine, but i'd like the menu and the extras too.
i was wondering if it could be fixed? are there tools that can repair bd structures or whatever is necessary?
If you 'borrowed' it then you shouldn't be copying it. maybe you can 'borrow' it again...Or better still pay the license fee and BUY it!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:31 PM
Wireless member

Yes, and then there is a that ....
Old 01-23-2016, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
the tool was wrong. yes, they fix after a couple of weeks, but i borrowed the disk from a friend and sent it back.
I'm finding your post very confusing as to what you actually ripped. Did you rip the whole disk (a 1:1 rip as @pepar has described) to a BDMV folder structure or .iso? Or, did you select a single playlist and rip only the main title?

If you ripped a playlist and picked the wrong one, there is no way to fix that. You have to go back to the original disk and rip the right one from scratch.
captainbrent likes this.

- kelson h

Old 01-23-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
edit: so it appears this is some kind of Atmos thing. Still makes no sense. If I put the disc itself in the player it will play back as 7.1 just as you would expect it to. If I do this rip it plays it back at 5.1 with the descriptive audio track. So, hopelessly lost already with the first attempt to do this. Clearly it plays the correct audio so my equipment is decoding it properly and I do not have any Atmos equipment. The Vten is set to passthrough everything so the AVR should be doing its thing.
What title are you doing. I use Clown exclusively for BD rips. I don't pay any attention to Atmos but the last title with it I ripped recently with Clown was MockingJay pt 1. I have no audio problems with it and my AVR displays TrueHD when it plays. Now granted, when I select streams in Clown I only pick the HD audio track -- just a single HD audio track. I'm using a WDTV Live-SMP for playback.

- kelson h

Old 01-23-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
What title are you doing. I use Clown exclusively for BD rips. I don't pay any attention to Atmos but the last title with it I ripped recently with Clown was MockingJay pt 1. I have no audio problems with it and my AVR displays TrueHD when it plays. Now granted, when I select streams in Clown I only pick the HD audio track -- just a single HD audio track. I'm using a WDTV Live-SMP for playback.
First one I grabbed off the shelf was Mad Max Fury Road.

As a comparison I ran it through makeMKV and it showed and pulled HD 7.1. Playing it now on the vten and working fine. I get 3 possible audio tracks. 1 appears to be the main track. 2 seems the same but not as loud and 3 is descriptive video.

My preference would be to use the MT2S files since the blu-ray player can handle them fine where the MKV locks it up. It would be nice to be able to have the back-up player if I have them in MT2S format.

I just tried again and still the same descriptive video audio with no options. I properly selected just one possible audio track this time which was the HD track.

If you have this movie and a trick to get the full 7.1 and no descriptive audio I'm all ears. Otherwise I guess I will just use mkv and forget about ClownBD. AnyDVD can be used for ISO to do the 3D. Hopefully any atmos ones in there won't be affect with a straight image copy. On slysoft one other user had the same problem as me and the comment were it was his player. I can get that, but since my player plays it just fine in MKV I'm not going to blame my player this time.

On a side note sometimes at the remux stage it won't do it. I need to go in and manually do it. The file locations haven't changed and no reason in the log given. I'm excited that the first movie I picked has been an all day affair! Not. I was hoping to have a dozen done by now.

Here is the tell from the eac log:

eac3to v3.27

Contains the answer I think. I went looking for newer versions of EAC and found the one I followed from another link is a bit older. I'm making another attempt now, but by the looks of the initial selections it seems happier with audio selections and Atmos is listed so we'll see. I hope this is the ticket s I can rock and roll on this! I already decided to get a third HDD when I found one on sale so I'll be good for quite a while now for space.

Last edited by bbusse; 01-23-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: new info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper