Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 301 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 840Likes

post #9001 of 10055 Old 02-03-2016, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 55
So next question about ClownBD and the audio/video selection boxes.

The video check box is fairly straight forward.

The audio I get, of course, options like English, 7.1, 5.1, AC3, DTS, etc.

I pick, for example, English and 7.1 and uncheck everything else. (I see things like 2.0 surround which I don't know what this does, etc.).

Does anything in the smaller audio box get unchecked? I will see English in there and 7.1 will have a check but so well 5.1 and different types all checked. Do I mess with these or did all my selection work just happen on the left to pick English and 7.1?

Seems like that small box should be for tweaking, but I don't find good information on when to tweak for the best results.

I always seem to end up with two audio tracks when it is done. The main one and sometimes a descriptive video track which is not maybe a bad thing for some of my guests but things seem more hit and miss where these are getting added. I'd prefer not ripping something 4 times and adjust every one to see what does what.

What work flow are you guys using for the check boxes?

-B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 10055 Old 02-04-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusse View Post
What work flow are you guys using for the check boxes?
When I am presented with the streams dialog box, I select a single audio track -- HD, English. If the selection is for DTS-MA-HD, there is a sub-checkbox for just DTS. I leave that sub-checkbox unchecked. As a result I only get a single HD audio track in the rip -- this is always confirmed by running MediaInfo on the final .m2ts file before I call it a wrap.

I feel the strength of Clown_BD comes into play when dealing with all the subtitle options. That is why I initially started using it and that is why I have continued to use it for all my BD rips.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9003 of 10055 Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
When I am presented with the streams dialog box, I select a single audio track -- HD, English. If the selection is for DTS-MA-HD, there is a sub-checkbox for just DTS. I leave that sub-checkbox unchecked. As a result I only get a single HD audio track in the rip -- this is always confirmed by running MediaInfo on the final .m2ts file before I call it a wrap.

I feel the strength of Clown_BD comes into play when dealing with all the subtitle options. That is why I initially started using it and that is why I have continued to use it for all my BD rips.
This is in the smaller right top audio box or the larger box on the left? I've been unchecking things on the left, should have I been doing this in the small box on the right instead?

-B
post #9004 of 10055 Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
This is in the smaller right top audio box or the larger box on the left? I've been unchecking things on the left, should have I been doing this in the small box on the right instead?

-B
I think the boxes on the right tell Clown which tracks to select by default. There is a clown.ini file (or similar) where you can specify defaults for those. IIRC it has German subtitles enabled by default? So I edited the ini file to take out the German. Since then, I never touch those check boxes on the right side.
Kelson likes this.
post #9005 of 10055 Old 02-04-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
I think the boxes on the right tell Clown which tracks to select by default. There is a clown.ini file (or similar) where you can specify defaults for those. IIRC it has German subtitles enabled by default? So I edited the ini file to take out the German. Since then, I never touch those check boxes on the right side.
I did a bit of fiddling tonight and it seems like my best results for only getting the main HD track is to use the top right box to uncheck all but the one I want and not bother with anything on the left side. I may go back and redo a couple from the early stages of this to try and strip out even more of the unused audio once I can determine I have the best practices in places.

I've been using the media info tool now as well to verify the final product. It is very handy.

-B
post #9006 of 10055 Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I did a bit of fiddling tonight and it seems like my best results for only getting the main HD track is to use the top right box to uncheck all but the one I want and not bother with anything on the left side. I may go back and redo a couple from the early stages of this to try and strip out even more of the unused audio once I can determine I have the best practices in places.

I've been using the media info tool now as well to verify the final product. It is very handy.

-B
As was noted by @ScottJ , the big list box on the left that lists all the video/audio/subtitle streams in the source file is the one that defines all the streams that will go into the final .m2ts file. The list boxes on the right are just the preferred streams that Clown will automatically check/uncheck in the big box on the left. I basically ignore the boxes on the right and concentrate only on the full streams dialog box on the left. If you want a single HD audio stream in your final .m2ts, you should have only 1 box for an audio stream checked in the big list box on the left.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9007 of 10055 Old 02-05-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
As was noted by @ScottJ , the big list box on the left that lists all the video/audio/subtitle streams in the source file is the one that defines all the streams that will go into the final .m2ts file. The list boxes on the right are just the preferred streams that Clown will automatically check/uncheck in the big box on the left. I basically ignore the boxes on the right and concentrate only on the full streams dialog box on the left. If you want a single HD audio stream in your final .m2ts, you should have only 1 box for an audio stream checked in the big list box on the left.
I believe you however I am not getting consistent results with checking just one audio box on the left. Granted, I have a lot more experimenting/learning to do, but I do know many have come out with 2 audio tracks even though I have only one checked on the left, but the right box is showing two checked.

Tomorrow I am going to do another batch and carefully watch the results.

-B
post #9008 of 10055 Old 02-06-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Granted, I have a lot more experimenting/learning to do, but I do know many have come out with 2 audio tracks even though I have only one checked on the left, but the right box is showing two checked.
Can you cite a couple titles where you have observed this?

- kelson h

post #9009 of 10055 Old 02-06-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Can you cite a couple titles where you have observed this?
First one was Mad Max Fury Road, Kingsman, Girl Gone.

I am just redoing those now and I think the problem was the sub box on the left under the main track was left checked and that was the descriptive video track. I've went through all the titles I've finished with and most were just one audio track as I intended.

So, it looks like the first few were just not set up properly, but as I went along I had things figured out.

If the redos act odd, which they shouldn't as they all check out when I use use media info, then I will say I'm stumped.

Assuming all is good, then my work flow is good for me and it is going along nicely.

I haven't got to the 3D yet. Still debating with the full frame packed MKV option or leave them as ISO to ensure there is no messing with the full frames. Probably will go with MakeMKV in the end strictly because even a 3D disc has a lot of extras at times. The few DVDs I have I will use MakeMKV.

For 2D the process has become:

ClownBD and AnyDVD HD to create MT2S taking along forced subs and English subs
Grabbing the single main audio track
Ripping to the hard drive
Finish it it to a second drive
Checking video and audio characteristics of the finished file with media info
Naming
Transferring over to the NAS while I start the next
Ensure they play as intended with the proper audio
Add to jukebox on the Vten and update info and all art
Edit jukebox data if required with the toolkit

So as everyone has said there isn't much to it once the programs are sorted out. I have yet to run into a title that refuses to work.

I was debating adding a SDD to my system, but think that I can work well enough with 2 hard drives.

-B
post #9010 of 10055 Old 02-06-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
For those who use Handbrake... I found out something... Under the Video tab at the bottom of the screen, there is a drop box for x264 tune... The default is None. if you change this to Film, the image quality of the rips is noticeably sharper.... I wish I knew this earlier...

Sorry for the late reply. The Film setting looks better to you because it makes the picture sharper. Deblock strength and threshold go from 0, 0 to -1, -1 respectively. It also raises psy-trellis by 0.15

I'm surprised the file size didn't increase. You must have had a clean and non grainy source.
post #9011 of 10055 Old 02-07-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Sorry for the late reply. The Film setting looks better to you because it makes the picture sharper. Deblock strength and threshold go from 0, 0 to -1, -1 respectively. It also raises psy-trellis by 0.15

I'm surprised the file size didn't increase. You must have had a clean and non grainy source.
Is there somewhere we can adjust these settings? I did note on films with a lot of grain, the file size did go up a bit... Saving Private Ryan hit 9 GB in size...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #9012 of 10055 Old 02-07-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there somewhere we can adjust these settings? I did note on films with a lot of grain, the file size did go up a bit... Saving Private Ryan hit 9 GB in size...

I'm not entirely sure on handbrake as I don't use it. iirc from the last time I looked at it though, it's the far right tab, labeled advanced?
post #9013 of 10055 Old 02-09-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I looked all over Handbrake... I could not find anywhere to adjust the granularity...

post #9014 of 10055 Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
For 2D the process has become:

ClownBD and AnyDVD HD to create MT2S taking along forced subs and English subs
Grabbing the single main audio track
-B
I've tried this but I don't see where/how I grab the forced/English subs!? Please help

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #9015 of 10055 Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I looked all over Handbrake... I could not find anywhere to adjust the granularity...

I took a quick peek at some screenshots of handbrakes advanced settings and it looks like it doesn't allow you to change some of x264s settings via GUI menu. What you could try is to just type it into the comment section at the bottom of the advanced settings tab or you could use a more robust x264 front end like megui.
post #9016 of 10055 Old 02-14-2016, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I prefer MakeMKV, BD Rebuilder and ImgBurn and burning to BD-25. The only annoyance is when you run into Cinavia and then you just have to watch them with a PC using a software player that doesn't recognize that DRM.

Last edited by hogger129; 02-14-2016 at 10:22 AM.
post #9017 of 10055 Old 02-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Hasn't Slysoft announced it has developed a way to remove Cinavia completely?

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
(I came, I saw, I drank wine!)
post #9018 of 10055 Old 02-14-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Hasn't Slysoft announced it has developed a way to remove Cinavia completely?
Not sure about Slysoft. But I know DVD-Ranger and DVDFab both claim their methods remove it. Some people have said they suspect the audio tracks are simply being replaced by one from those company's servers though (this can be confirmed by someone monitoring their network activity). I don't see why people are so gung-ho to remove it. Just watch your disc on an external Blu-ray drive on a PC, using a software player that doesn't recognize the DRM, such as Leawo Blu-ray player which is free and also works in WINE on Linux.
post #9019 of 10055 Old 02-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
I don't see why people are so gung-ho to remove it. Just watch your disc on an external Blu-ray drive on a PC, using a software player that doesn't recognize the DRM, such as Leawo Blu-ray player which is free and also works in WINE on Linux.
Not everyone has the gear to do that. Or wants to.

Jeff

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
(I came, I saw, I drank wine!)
post #9020 of 10055 Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Not everyone has the gear to do that. Or wants to.

Jeff
I can't remember where I read it, but someone told me if you disconnect the PS3 from internet while watching your Cinavia-infected disc, it won't detect the watermark. Does anybody know if that's true? It sounds like BS to me because wouldn't Cinavia be written into the firmware of the player?

At the end of the day, the best solution is to just use a player that doesn't recognize Cinavia.
pepar likes this.
post #9021 of 10055 Old 02-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm looking for some advice on the best option for ripping concert DVDs and Blu-rays. I have been using AnyDVD HD and making a straight rip to folder. Problem is that the ability to play and control Blu-ray folder rips is inconsistent among different devices/apps. The main reason I chose this approach though is the ability to maintain the menus. I don't always watch start to finish. I like to jump around to different songs.

Is there a format that I can rip to that will allow me to maintain that ability to jump around to different songs and also work consistently across more apps and devices? Also really important that I maintain the full quality of 5.1 audio track.

Thanks!
post #9022 of 10055 Old 02-15-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
I'm looking for some advice on the best option for ripping concert DVDs and Blu-rays. I have been using AnyDVD HD and making a straight rip to folder. Problem is that the ability to play and control Blu-ray folder rips is inconsistent among different devices/apps. The main reason I chose this approach though is the ability to maintain the menus. I don't always watch start to finish. I like to jump around to different songs.

Is there a format that I can rip to that will allow me to maintain that ability to jump around to different songs and also work consistently across more apps and devices? Also really important that I maintain the full quality of 5.1 audio track.

Thanks!
Use MakeMKV to rip the disc to the HDD... Use Handbrake to downsize the MKV file if you want. After that, run the file through MKVToolNix GUI. The MKV file will retain all the chapter stops.

When ripping the disc using MakeMKV, make sure you enable the audio track format you want before ripping. The default is to disable DTS HD-Master and Dolby TrueHD so you will have to enable it before ripping, otherwise it will save the audio in a MP3 (I think) format. The bit rate can be changed to a max of 1536 kbps.

Handbrake defaults to mp4 format. I find that the MKV format is more universally recognized except for Apple products which does not recognize MKV formats. In that case, you should stay with MP4.

post #9023 of 10055 Old 02-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 51
This is bit off topic, but as you guys are all experts in media handling, I thought I'd ask here.

I have a bunch of movie trailers (Dolby/DTS, etc.) that are in 16:9. I often play them before a movie, but if the movie is is scope fomat, I have zoom out, play trailers and then zoom in to play movie. I wanted to somehow refomat the trailers to be scope format (i.e. 2.35:1 with black bars at top and bottom, so they are same as movie on blu-ray.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to do this?

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
post #9024 of 10055 Old 02-15-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 351
^ You can crop to 2.35:1 and re-encode in HandBrake. If you choose a high-enough quality setting you won't notice any difference in the video, and you can keep the original audio.
DotJun likes this.
post #9025 of 10055 Old 02-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Use MakeMKV to rip the disc to the HDD... Use Handbrake to downsize the MKV file if you want. After that, run the file through MKVToolNix GUI. The MKV file will retain all the chapter stops.

When ripping the disc using MakeMKV, make sure you enable the audio track format you want before ripping. The default is to disable DTS HD-Master and Dolby TrueHD so you will have to enable it before ripping, otherwise it will save the audio in a MP3 (I think) format. The bit rate can be changed to a max of 1536 kbps.

Handbrake defaults to mp4 format. I find that the MKV format is more universally recognized except for Apple products which does not recognize MKV formats. In that case, you should stay with MP4.
Thank you Jon! I'll give this a try.

One follow-up if you don't mind... how does MKV handle a disc which has "extras?" Are these typically treated as separate files, or chapters within a file?
post #9026 of 10055 Old 02-15-2016, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Each "extra' will be a separate MKV file... You can rename them as needed. You will not have any menu structure, just individual files. Since I don't want the extras, it is moot for me...

post #9027 of 10055 Old 02-16-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Hi,

Likely this isn't news to anyone in this thread... but found another reason to love converting my discs to mkv.

Yesterday I opened a Blu I bought back in October. It failed to copy. I cleaned it ... It looked fine,.. It wouldn't copy.

At that point I wanted to watch it so I did using my PS3 and wasn't too surprised when I saw it glitched at one point.

Today I send emails to the studio (Criterion) and they told me how to document the issue and where to send the disc so they could determine if it was actually defective.

Cleaning it again I thought I could see a small scratch. Rubbing this 1mm scratch looking thing gently with my thumb it came off the surface of the disc. And then all was well.

Point being ... copying to a hard drive gives a heads up for something like this and also just playing from the disc you better have eagle eyes to inspect it before playback or you risk having some trouble during showtime.
post #9028 of 10055 Old 02-16-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

Likely this isn't news to anyone in this thread... but found another reason to love converting my discs to mkv.

Yesterday I opened a Blu I bought back in October. It failed to copy. I cleaned it ... It looked fine,.. It wouldn't copy.

At that point I wanted to watch it so I did using my PS3 and wasn't too surprised when I saw it glitched at one point.

Today I send emails to the studio (Criterion) and they told me how to document the issue and where to send the disc so they could determine if it was actually defective.

Cleaning it again I thought I could see a small scratch. Rubbing this 1mm scratch looking thing gently with my thumb it came off the surface of the disc. And then all was well.

Point being ... copying to a hard drive gives a heads up for something like this and also just playing from the disc you better have eagle eyes to inspect it before playback or you risk having some trouble during showtime.
You said yourself that it wasn't rippable until it was cleaned...so I'm confident that if AnyDVD (or any other ripper) was able to get through the ripping process, the resulting rip is fine.

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 / 93 (ISO firmware) / 103D (CFW), Dune Base 3.0 / Smart units, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #9029 of 10055 Old 02-16-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I can't wait to watch it again anyway...

But, it's not the first time that I've found defective discs during the ripping process.

I bought a lot of discs from local movie rental places that went out of business. (And several from Hollywood Video as they closed.) So some of my discs are beat up more than they would otherwise be.

One disc (Cats and Dogs 2) couldn't rip and I ran it under boiling water a few times.... finally, I got a good rip which is great... wouldn't want to have to try to use the disc to watch it.

Another problem was with Cloverfield... that wouldn't copy no matter what but played fine .... I picked up another copy used for $7 and had no trouble ripping it... Even though the first copy could play fine I threw it out because I knew it was damaged.

So far I've put just under a thousand discs onto my NAS units and just bought hard drives for the 3rd NAS so I'm about to put a lot more.

At this point .... I don't really trust the discs on the shelves to not simply develop problems. Honestly. I've read about people with discs that go bad ... like older Lion'sGate Blus or some of the Criterion releases. Even though I keep the Blu as backup ... I'm glad I don't rely on them for playback.

-Brian
post #9030 of 10055 Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

So far I've put just under a thousand discs onto my NAS units and just bought hard drives for the 3rd NAS so I'm about to put a lot more.

-Brian
1000?! I have ripped a few dozen and filled all the storage I have. I'm in the doghouse for spending too much on AV lately, so I'm hoping to sneak a 5TB external drive past her just so I can keep going for now At some point I will need a better storage solution than a bunch of different external drives plugged into every USB port of my computer haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page