Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 307 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 743Likes

Old 02-25-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Fortunately, the UHD BD HDR titles provide a significant improvement over the 2k BD titles.
Only if you sit close enough to the screen to see the difference.
For a 65" UHD screen the optimal distance is 4 feet.
At 8.5 feet you can't tell the difference from 1080

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/size-...e-relationship

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2016, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post
Looks like I won't be buying any 4K UHD disks. I am not going to depend on an internet connection to play a movie I've paid for.
I do a certain amount of movie viewing in an area where the network is isolated, tightly firewalled and Internet access is highly restricted. IOW, this is a show-stopper.

And what happens if the publisher disappears and/or their key server craps out or falls under a DOS attack? Or what happens if, a la e-book DRM, someone decides the movie you purchased is to be censored?

I'm going back to a phrase that I coined maybe thirty years ago, only at that point the comment was directed at software:

If nobody bought copy-protected software, there wouldn't be any.
techflaws likes this.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
4k Optical media unless I can get it on my media server is dead for me. What is left then is getting it the wrong way which I am not too interested. End result 4k Optical media will be very much a niche product. They don't realize that for every disc being backed up there has to be a purchase, that does not hold true when you can't put the disc on to a media server. Here is an article from 2012 from Anandtech that makes the point.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5693/c...elfdestruction

in their conclusion:
Quote:
We originally set out to provide a one-stop information piece about Cinavia. Soon enough, we felt the need to make the Blu-ray industry aware of how they are completely ignoring the consumers. Just as we were wrapping up the piece, details of the Walmart - Vudu - UltraViolet initiative came to light. The conversion pricing for existing disc owners only furthered our conclusion that the Blu-ray industry is woefully out of touch with consumer reality.
The bottom line is profit and if they rely heavily on those discs making profit then this is not the approach to take.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
Info direct from Slysoft. Read post 70.

"This depends on the disc / protection.

DVDs: All DVDs should continue work. OPD is only used to speed up things, it is optional.

HD-DVDs: All work.

Blu-Ray AACS: AnyDVD contains data for roughly 130000 discs, these will continue to work. Discs not included in AnyDVD will need the OPD. OPD results will be cached locally, if you copy the cache, you can move it to another PC.

Blu-Ray BD+, 20th Century Fox: Recent discs (1-2 years?) need OPD. Older titles work. OPD results will be cached locally, if you copy the cache, you can move it to another PC.

Blu-Ray Java protection (mostly Lionsgate): Recent discs (1 year?) need OPD. Older titles work. OPD results are not cached.

Blu-ray cinavia: Will continue to work with current players & software."

https://forum.slysoft.com/threads/sl...d.68304/page-4
Picked up the latest Bond film tonight and AnyDVD told me it couldn't connect to the server so I guess we now now how long for that to go down.

-B
Old 02-25-2016, 05:49 PM

did you do the host file modification by entering the IP address for the domain key.slysoft.com since the DNS entry was removed
Old 02-25-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_2go View Post
did you do the host file modification by entering the IP address for the domain key.slysoft.com since the DNS entry was removed
Don't know what you mean by that. I plugged in the disc and received the message the server couldn't be found.

-B
Old 02-25-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to be a jerk but not everyone knows what DNS is or how a HOSTS file works, or why they need any of this, etc. Maybe it's time for everyone to stop talking in code, with this pipe-dream that somehow all this non-specific silliness absolves anyone from anything, and just tell folks what to do and why.

Want me to pick up the ball on this?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
I don't mean to be a jerk but not everyone knows what DNS is or how a HOSTS file works, or why they need any of this, etc. Maybe it's time for everyone to stop talking in code, with this pipe-dream that somehow all this non-specific silliness absolves anyone from anything, and just tell folks what to do and why.

Please pick up the ball. I'd help if I had more than half a clue.

Is he saying that Slysoft's key server is still active, and only the DNS entry is gone? We'd need to know the exact IP address.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Please pick up the ball. I'd help if I had more than half a clue.

Is he saying that Slysoft's key server is still active, and only the DNS entry is gone? We'd need to know the exact IP address.
There are 3 IP addresses you can find following the link mentioned a few posts above, but none of them are key.slysoft.com

So if someone knows the IP address that would be great.

As I understand it, this may work as long as that server is up, but you can't actually download the database to your own machine and store it there.

Most of this is now above my head. Trying to learn fast, but things are fluid. Even sounds like DVDFAB passkey relied on anydvd so that software may be useless soon too.

-B
Old 02-25-2016, 06:45 PM

Groovy. Here goes. One of the issues is I'm conflating this thread with the Slysoft Shutdown thread here, which is where most of the vagueness is coming from. Give it a read right now, then come back here.

OK, so Slysoft is shutting down but some of their stuff is still up and until the rest of it falls of the Internet, some folks are coming up with slick ways to find what's still up. Apparently their database of discs is still there but it's DNS entry is gone. You stick a disc in, AnyDVD can't find home - key.slysoft.com. It's gone, the listing is gone.

DNS is what everything on the Internet uses to find everything else. When you go to this forum with your web browser, your web browser asks a device on the Internet called a DNS server (domain name server - think if an address book) what IP address is www.avsforum.com. Everything on the Internet has a unique IP (Internet Protocol) address. (nerds please refrain from mentioning virtual web hosting right now, along with MAC layer, etc.).

So reading between the lines it turns out that one of the three name servers for slysoft.com (servers responsible for saying what's where at Slysoft) is acting as a proxy for the database which used to live at key.slysoft.com. This address is no longer listed in DNS. The computer acting as the database proxy is named ovh3.slysoft.com. The other two won't help you. You can use NSLOOKUP (on your computer or a web page like viewdns.info) to find out that IP address. Right now it's 188.165.210.62 but these things are subject to change. Just making that clear.

You stick a disc in your PC and AnyDVD looks for key.slysoft.com but can't find it because the listing is deleted from DNS.

So since the Internet's DNS servers no longer know what that is, you edit a file on your PC named "HOSTS" to help tell your PC that key.slysoft.com is at 188.165.210.62. The HOSTS file is a text database that circumvents DNS lookups. Go back to that thread for details or search Google for how to edit your HOSTS file.

This will last only for a while so get it while the gettin' is good.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:

If anyone would have done a Google search for key.slysoft.com IP address then they would have found as the second returned hit the article "Slysoft developer: AnyDVD (HD) will continue to work" that gives detailed instructions for newbs on how to do that. Anyone that wants to play with software that breaks encryption must learn how to use the tools.

Last edited by one_2go; 02-25-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Presumably DVDFab think UHD Blu-ray will have such a low market share for so long (maybe forever) that it's not worth their while right now putting effort on the new encryption.
OR they don't want to get into the crosshairs so soon again after their last run-in with Hollywood, especially now that they'll presumably get an influx from Slysoft customers.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
Old 02-26-2016, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusse View Post
Even sounds like DVDFAB passkey relied on anydvd so that software may be useless soon too.
That doesn't sound right. Why would a DVDFab product rely on AnyDVD?
Old 02-26-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
That doesn't sound right. Why would a DVDFab product rely on AnyDVD?
Some of the talk on the Slysoft forum. Would be bad if true.

-B
Old 02-26-2016, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Have you tried playing without being connected on initial playback? If not maybe your next "virgin" session may tell the tale.
I would never be using my player without being connected to the Internet. But I know other people posted about it with the Fox titles and had no issues.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 02-26-2016, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Good thing I sit three to four feet away when watching UHD content(and 3D content) on my 65". I sit six or seven feet away when watching 2k content.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

I typically try to sit far enough away so the wife and kids are away from me lol.
mrfattbill likes this.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 02-26-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
If anyone would have done a Google search for key.slysoft.com IP address then they would have found as the second returned hit the article "Slysoft developer: AnyDVD (HD) will continue to work" that gives detailed instructions for newbs on how to do that. Anyone that wants to play with software that breaks encryption must learn how to use the tools.
Will work for anything in the past, but not going to be updated into the future so not exactly 100% working for the years people paid for.

And, no, I do not need how to circumvent the tools in order to use the tools. That is condescending.

-B
Old 02-26-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Quote:
If nobody bought copy-protected software, there wouldn't be any.
I feel the exact same way about video game DLC. It's an abomination that (I feel) is destroying the gaming experience.

Quote:
Wow. Migraine city. I sit about a good 10 feet from my 55. Any closer I get dizzy. A bunch of times I went in to BJ's and tried to stand about 10' away from the 4k sets and see if I could tell the difference. I'd like to say that I can, but I don't really care. I still remember how impressed I was when switching from composite to component when watching the Lord of the rings dvd on my 32" CRT toshiba. Blown away. And I'd probably still be blown away if I was never introduced to blu-ray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I typically try to sit far enough away so the wife and kids are away from me lol.
HA!
Old 02-26-2016, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
I feel the exact same way about video game DLC. It's an abomination that (I feel) is destroying the gaming experience.

I've always thought it was just the opposite. DLC has improved my gaming experience tremendously.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
What am I missing here? I read this as a one time thing -

"the Enhanced AACS 2.0 requires an internet connection upon the first playback of a specific Ultra HD Blu-ray disc."
I don't get it. Upon first playback of that specific disc? After that disc you can unplug the internet, Or all discs that have that type of protection? So you will need it at first playback when each new disc with that type of protection is inserted?

I remember cinavia was few and far between. Now it's huge.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 193
That's the way I read it. Like you can download MS Office all you want but can not use it until you unlock it one time with a key.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Wow. Migraine city. I sit about a good 10 feet from my 55. Any closer I get dizzy. A bunch of times I went in to BJ's and tried to stand about 10' away from the 4k sets and see if I could tell the difference. I'd like to say that I can, but I don't really care.
At 10' you will see a lot bigger difference between LCD and OLED than you will between 2K/4K -- unless you are looking at 100"+ panels.

I figured out how to post the chart from that article I linked. I think this tells a story for 4K UHD -- basically, if you want to see the full 4K effect you have to sit so close that nobody else can share the viewing experience with you. There is no debate that 4K provides 4X the resolution. But unless you are thinking in terms of an 80" and above panel, it is a solo-pleasure experience and not something that will make a difference in the family room.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 02-26-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've always thought it was just the opposite. DLC has improved my gaming experience tremendously.
You don't miss the days when games used to cost $60? Now they are around $120 with all content. And there have many instances of release-day DLC. I know this is off topic. I'm off the subject.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
I don't get it. Upon first playback of that specific disc? After that disc you can unplug the internet, Or all discs that have that type of protection? So you will need it at first playback when each new disc with that type of protection is inserted?

I remember cinavia was few and far between. Now it's huge.
I dont get it either. Is 1st playback tied to the disc or the player? If I watch a disc at home, if it now unlocked for me to bring everywhere? That doesn't fix the resale issue (if it is in fact an issue). If it's tied to the player, My Cabin in the Woods will still have no UHD . . .
Old 02-26-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If they choose to implement the extended protection (think Sony), the first time you play an UHD disk in a specific player, the player has to go to the net and validate the specific disk to the server. The server then sends the player a key for that disk that the player has to store locally. Afterwards you can play that specific disk on that specific player for as long as the player lasts and holds onto the key -- without an Internet connection.

Suppose they decide to limit the number of players they will key for that disk? Or worse yet, limit the number of players and offer to sell you additional player key licenses. I'm not saying this will happen, only that the system is set up for this kind of abuse and we are talking hollywood.

- kelson h

Old 02-26-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
At 10' you will see a lot bigger difference between LCD and OLED than you will between 2K/4K -- unless you are looking at 100"+ panels.

I figured out how to post the chart from that article I linked. I think this tells a story for 4K UHD -- basically, if you want to see the full 4K effect you have to sit so close that nobody else can share the viewing experience with you. There is no debate that 4K provides 4X the resolution. But unless you are thinking in terms of an 80" and above panel, it is a solo-pleasure experience and not something that will make a difference in the family room.

According to the original link, you also need 20/20 vision to apply that chart. My eyes are out of specification.

In addition, how many movies have a 4K master available for use in a 4K Blu-ray format?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If they choose to implement the extended protection (think Sony), the first time you play an UHD disk in a specific player, the player has to go to the net and validate the specific disk to the server. The server then sends the player a key for that disk that the player has to store locally. Afterwards you can play that specific disk on that specific player for as long as the player lasts and holds onto the key -- without an Internet connection.

Suppose they decide to limit the number of players they will key for that disk? Or worse yet, limit the number of players and offer to sell you additional player key licenses. I'm not saying this will happen, only that the system is set up for this kind of abuse and we are talking hollywood.
Yeah, or: I have 3-4 potential viewing rooms with each their own BD player. Or, what if my BD player bites the dust? Do we just call up Sony and say our bd player died. Reminds me of calling Microsoft when reinstalling Windows and the key doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
According to the original link, you also need 20/20 vision to apply that chart. My eyes are out of specification.

In addition, how many movies have a 4K master available for use in a 4K Blu-ray format?
I always wondered how far ahead they were. The Friends box set is a good example since the first season or so is 4:3 and terrible quality, then it shifts to 16:9 and better quality. They must be 2x ahead of the current tech right? Like, right now are they filming in 8K or 16K?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Yeah, or: I have 3-4 potential viewing rooms with each their own BD player. Or, what if my BD player bites the dust? Do we just call up Sony and say our bd player died. Reminds me of calling Microsoft when reinstalling Windows and the key doesn't work.

Each UHD player will have to connect to the server and download the required key to play that UHD disc. You buy another player, it will have to do the same thing. No internet, no playback. Note that once it downloads the key, the player no longer needs to access the internet to play back that particular movie.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Old 02-26-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

So then what is the purpose of the key then? If a 1:1 copies of the disc are made, and they are all allowed to do what you say, then what is the point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread