post #901 of 6302 Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kublai View Post

Okay.. first post in AVS, so here goes..

I'm looking to move my DVD/Blu-Ray library over to my NAS so I can stream to both upstairs or downstairs. I read agogley's process and scanned most of this forum for ideas below is what I've come up with. Also, I'm starting with the kids' dvd's as this is the impetus for this move (my son gets his finger prints all over every disk, then they don't play right :-P)

- d/l'd & installed DVD Fab for the protection removal aspect.
- Use handbrake to rip the main movie from the disk.

When I started, I realized I'm gonna to have to play with the handbrake settings so I get a video file that will work on my Xbox 360 and my Sony BDP-S370. I tried my first disk last night, and ripped the movie with handbrake - the ripping process went okay, but when I played the movie, it's all garbled. I first thought it might be a codec issue on my computer, so I tried streaming it to my XBox with the same video results.

Now, what I'm wondering is if this is a handbrake issue, or a DVDfab not removing the protection properly issue. In Handbrake I was using the H.264 encoder. I might try the MPEG-4 encoder later today to see if it makes a difference.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Kublai

Use DVDFab to do everything. DVDFab has a how to on their website on how to play files on the Xbox. Or you can get an inexpensive media player like AIOS which will play pretty much any format.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6302 Old 01-26-2012, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Use DVDFab to do everything. DVDFab has a how to on their website on how to play files on the Xbox. Or you can get an inexpensive media player like AIOS which will play pretty much any format.

Err... I was hoping to save some $$. I had read on the DVDFab that the decrypter is free. I did a little more digging with Handbrake and found out that my video was garbled because the protection on the DVD hadn't been removed. So I guess DVDFab & Handbrake don't work too well together...

Another reason I was looking at using Handbrake is that it appears quite flexible in terms of how it can encode video files, which leads me to my next question. If I go down the DVDFab route, would I be loosing any flexibility that I might have if I stick with Handbrake?

Thanks!
Kublai
post #903 of 6302 Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

Err... I was hoping to save some $$. I had read on the DVDFab that the decrypter is free. I did a little more digging with Handbrake and found out that my video was garbled because the protection on the DVD hadn't been removed. So I guess DVDFab & Handbrake don't work too well together...

Another reason I was looking at using Handbrake is that it appears quite flexible in terms of how it can encode video files, which leads me to my next question. If I go down the DVDFab route, would I be loosing any flexibility that I might have if I stick with Handbrake?

Thanks!
Kublai

When you say "DVD Fab" which program are you referring to. Do you mean the stand-alone application like DVD Fab DVD Copy and DVD Fab BluRay Copy or do you mean the resident decrypter DVD Fab PassKey. From your description I suspect PassKey. PassKey is "free" but the free version does not remove all protections -- they tell you that on the web page. The stand-alone applications are quasi-free. Once your 30 day trial runs out you can still rip a disk to a folder, but updates for new protections won't work for 3-6 months.

Sooner or later you are going to have to spend some money and buy your decryption software.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #904 of 6302 Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Sooner or later you are going to have to spend some money and buy your decryption software.

Yeah... I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of purchasing the DVDFab software, but before I do, I was just wondering if I would have the same flexibility in how videos are encoded that I get with Handbrake. For example, in Handbrake, I can include a couple of audio tracks like Stereo 2.0 and AC3 Passthrough. I figure that might be a good option to improve compatibility among my streaming devices.

Also, for info, it looks like I downloaded the DVDFab HD Decrypter, not the standalone passkey program which probably would have worked for what I was doing. Also, it looks like I could just copy DVD/Blu-Ray to my HDD with DVDFab HD Decrypter (free or not), then point Handbrake to the copy on my HDD - does this sound correct? I'd still be faced with the issue that the free version is somewhat crippled in terms of protection removal, which means I'll probably end up buying the software, just curious if anyone has any input on these items.

Thanks!
post #905 of 6302 Old 01-26-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah... I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of purchasing the DVDFab software, but before I do, I was just wondering if I would have the same flexibility in how videos are encoded that I get with Handbrake. For example, in Handbrake, I can include a couple of audio tracks like Stereo 2.0 and AC3 Passthrough. I figure that might be a good option to improve compatibility among my streaming devices.

Also, for info, it looks like I downloaded the DVDFab HD Decrypter, not the standalone passkey program which probably would have worked for what I was doing. Also, it looks like I could just copy DVD/Blu-Ray to my HDD with DVDFab HD Decrypter (free or not), then point Handbrake to the copy on my HDD - does this sound correct? I'd still be faced with the issue that the free version is somewhat crippled in terms of protection removal, which means I'll probably end up buying the software, just curious if anyone has any input on these items.

Thanks!

DVDFav will do what Handbrake does and more. I only used Handbrake because I wanted to reduce file size, and it would work to stream to my xbox and PS3. Now, I've got 2 media players so I only rip the main movie as either M2TS, MKV or ISO (iso for TV shows only). Therefore I don't really use Handbrake anymore unless I want to rip a movie for my android phone, which plays the h.264 / M4V file type.

I also ended up buying AnyDVD HD. DVDFab wants you too pay too much money for DVD Copy and Blu-ray copy. So, I use AnyDVD HD with ClownBD for blue-ray movies and makeMKV for SD movies.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #906 of 6302 Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

DVDFav will do what Handbrake does and more. I only used Handbrake because I wanted to reduce file size, and it would work to stream to my xbox and PS3. Now, I've got 2 media players so I only rip the main movie as either M2TS, MKV or ISO (iso for TV shows only). Therefore I don't really use Handbrake anymore unless I want to rip a movie for my android phone, which plays the h.264 / M4V file type.

I also ended up buying AnyDVD HD. DVDFab wants you too pay too much money for DVD Copy and Blu-ray copy. So, I use AnyDVD HD with ClownBD for blue-ray movies and makeMKV for SD movies.

First, I agree that buying DVDfab is the right way to go. Once I did that, I also stopped using Handbrake. I like the "do it all with one source" routine you get when you buy the complete package. It's all encompassing with everything you could possibly want for copying, ripping, or converting. For ripping, I go with vob.passthrough or mkv. remux because of the quality. I realize that others may want something that produces smaller file sizes but this is how I get the best results so far.

My other issue is that before buying DVDfab, I tried to buy AnyDVD HD but couldn't because at the time, Slysoft didn't have a way for Americans to buy the software. Has that changed now?
post #907 of 6302 Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yeah...

Thanks!

Because my work sends me way out into the boonies, I generally copy all DVDs to my HDDso that I can watch them from remote. Then at a later date, when I have the time, I rip them to either a single vob or mkv file. So I would think that yes you can do that. I also did this with the trial version of AnyDVD and later ripped the files down to avi or mkv w/o any protection issues. Not sure if it will work the same with Handbrake but you could give it a try. In the interim, you may want to consider just simply buying the software. You can probably go with any of the complete packages including DVDFab or AnyDVD HD. I don't think you will need them both but with either, you'd be removing all doubt....and you would get all you need and then some.
post #908 of 6302 Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

So, I use AnyDVD HD with ClownBD for blue-ray movies and makeMKV for SD movies.

Why makeMKV for SD movies, vs. say.. programs likes CloneDVD2 or DVDShrink? I'm not saying I disapprove of your choice, just curious what, if any, benefits makeMKV might have for SD content that I hadn't been made aware of before. Up until your post, makeMKV has only been on my radar for blu-ray content.

And in a similar vein...

Quote:

Now, I've got 2 media players so I only rip the main movie as either M2TS, MKV or ISO (iso for TV shows only).

Why ISO for tv shows? I've got some SD shows I want to start ripping/archiving but not sure yet of my approach in terms of "to compress or not to compress" and which specific codec & containers I should use.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #909 of 6302 Old 01-29-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Why makeMKV for SD movies, vs. say.. programs likes CloneDVD2 or DVDShrink? I'm not saying I disapprove of your choice, just curious what, if any, benefits makeMKV might have for SD content that I hadn't been made aware of before. Up until your post, makeMKV has only been on my radar for blu-ray content.

And in a similar vein...

Why ISO for tv shows? I've got some SD shows I want to start ripping/archiving but not sure yet of my approach in terms of "to compress or not to compress" and which specific codec & containers I should use.

Go mkv for tv shows. Here is my writeup on some options:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...-mkv-episodes/

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #910 of 6302 Old 01-29-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I do DVD.iso for TV shows. I rip to folder structure with DVD Fab and then package into DVD.iso with DVD Shrink.

So why.
I don't want to be bothered ripping individual episodes to individual files, it just seems pointless to me (that's just my opinion). I rip the full disk to .iso so that I get the DVD menu structure so I can select an episode on the disk to play.

I use DVD Fab for the full disk rip because it can redirect the loading flow to head straight for the main menu and bypass all the warnings and trailers.

I use DVD Shrink to make the DVD.iso because with Shrink I can eliminate the extraneous subtitles and audio track and compress the menus and extras to save some space.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #911 of 6302 Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I use mkv for SD movies just because I find it easier than anything else. I use ISO for TV shows.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #912 of 6302 Old 01-29-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I can't get MakeMKV to work for me. Whatever I do everything comes out poor.

Anyways, for TV episodes, I first rip the DVDs to my hard drive. Then I simply use Handbrake to encode each episode individually. I use TVRename to name and organize the files. Works great.

I know people like DVDfab, but most will favor Handbrake for the simple reason that it is opensource and thus, free.
post #913 of 6302 Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
BTW, who knew I'd make this thread and it would have over 900 posts?
post #914 of 6302 Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

I can't get MakeMKV to work for me. Whatever I do everything comes out poor.

Anyways, for TV episodes, I first rip the DVDs to my hard drive. Then I simply use Handbrake to encode each episode individually. I use TVRename to name and organize the files. Works great.

I know people like DVDfab, but most will favor Handbrake for the simple reason that it is opensource and thus, free.

That is odd with Makemkv as I have never had issues.

TV Shows are probably the only media that I encode. The main reason at over 2000+ episodes they would take up way too much space to keep lossless. I typically use Ripbot264 for my Blu-ray TV Shows and Handbrake for my DVD TV Shows

Cheers,
Damian

post #915 of 6302 Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

BTW, who knew I'd make this thread and it would have over 900 posts?

It's a great thread. I check in on it when ever I log on.
post #916 of 6302 Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

I just did a vob rip of Red a few days ago using DVDFab. One of the guys I work with recommended it and said I would enjoy it so I gave it a shot. Anyway - so when I finished ripping, I tried it out and noticed that it ripped the directors commentary along with the movie. I tried watching it anyway but it got old so I turned it off. Also, there was some lip-synch issues with the movie in general. So I deleted the files and started over - only this time, I copied the DVD to my HDD and then ripped it to mkv.remux. I haven't actually watched it yet but I did scan through it to see if there was an improvement and I did not hear the directors commentary. I'll watch it all the way through tonight and see how it goes. Of course, if it doesn't work, I still have the original DVD as back up.
post #917 of 6302 Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

I just did a vob rip of Red a few days ago using DVDFab. One of the guys I work with recommended it and said I would enjoy it so I gave it a shot. Anyway - so when I finished ripping, I tried it out and noticed that it ripped the directors commentary along with the movie. I tried watching it anyway but it got old so I turned it off. Also, there was some lip-synch issues with the movie in general. So I deleted the files and started over - only this time, I copied the DVD to my HDD and then ripped it to mkv.remux. I haven't actually watched it yet but I did scan through it to see if there was an improvement and I did not hear the directors commentary. I'll watch it all the way through tonight and see how it goes. Of course, if it doesn't work, I still have the original DVD as back up.

I used to rip the directors commentaries as well before. Now, I don't. I've learned from dbone how to's on mediasmartserver.net. Specially the movies done by Walt Disney. You've got to choose the correct file to rip.

I use clownbd though. So, I don't know how it works with DVDFab. I used DVDFab a couple of times, and I had some issues with lagging and lip sync. This was with the trial software though. So far, I like using clownbd, makemkv and AnyDVDHD for iso's sd tv shows only.

I've used DVDShrink as well, and it works too. BDRebuilder I've got it installed, but have not used it yet.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #918 of 6302 Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I do DVD.iso for TV shows. I rip to folder structure with DVD Fab and then package into DVD.iso with DVD Shrink.

Interesting, thanks. I'll keep your method in mind when I finally get around to digging into any such "tv on dvd" projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Go mkv for tv shows. Here is my writeup on some options:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...-mkv-episodes/

Ahh, I should've known you'd have a guide for that! THANKS, I'll read up.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #919 of 6302 Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

............... I like using clownbd, makemkv and AnyDVDHD for iso's sd tv shows only.

I've used DVDShrink as well, and it works too. BDRebuilder I've got it installed, but have not used it yet.

Early on I wanted to go with AnyDVD HD but when I went to their website to purchase, they did not have a way for someone with from the US to buy their software. Funny thing is I have a British Bank account from my days of living in the UK but I don't use it very often and frankly I just didn't think about it at the time. Anyway - so I went with the full version of DVDFab. I had some previous experience with their company also. While living in the UK a few years ago, half of my movies were NTSC and the other half was PAL - so I bought this program called Region Free to take the region restrictions off while watching movies on my computer. It turns out that they are the makers of DVDFab as well.
post #920 of 6302 Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tried watching the mkv.remux version of Red last night but fell asleep half way through - so I'll try again 2night.
post #921 of 6302 Old 02-12-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone having trouble with Breaking Dawn and Clown_bd.
It is Playlist # 67.
post #922 of 6302 Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Anyone having trouble with Breaking Dawn and Clown_bd.
It is Playlist # 67.

I ripped just the first playlist and tested a few minutes on my pc. It played fine. What type of audio track did you get?

Cheers,
Damian

post #923 of 6302 Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ripped just the first playlist and tested a few minutes on my pc. It played fine. What type of audio track did you get?

It is wrong. The first playlist is cut wrong. Scenes are out of order. Trust me on this. Rip PL # 67. It is the only one in order. DD only on rental.
post #924 of 6302 Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is wrong. The first playlist is cut wrong. Scenes are out of order. Trust me on this. Rip PL # 67. It is the only one in order. DD only on rental.

Interesting. I will have to try again next weekend. My sister was out yesterday and brought her disc, will just ask her to bring it back next weekend so I can try 67. That was an impressive amount of playlists to choose from. Someone had pm'd me about only seeing an AC3 track, didn't know why.

Cheers,
Damian

post #925 of 6302 Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. I will have to try again next weekend. My sister was out yesterday and brought her disc, will just ask her to bring it back next weekend so I can try 67. That was an impressive amount of playlists to choose from. Someone had pm'd me about only seeing an AC3 track, didn't know why.

Watch the scene when they are doing Bellas hair for the wedding. It jumps out of order.... Sort of like Pulp Fiction only with Vampires and hot chicks.
509-505-511-501-507-503-512-508-504-514-502-513-510-506. This is the correct scene order on the rental.
post #926 of 6302 Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Watch the scene when they are doing Bellas hair for the wedding. It jumps out of order.... Sort of like Pulp Fiction only with Vampires and hot chicks.
509-505-511-501-507-503-512-508-504-514-502-513-510-506. This is the correct scene order on the rental.

Definitely a good thing I didn't put it on for the wife to watch this weekend! Doubt she will have time to watch this week, so should be fine just waiting until my sister comes out next weekend.

I wonder if this is the new attempt to confuse the ripper by the studios?

Cheers,
Damian

post #927 of 6302 Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 AM

Hi guys,

I'm a first time poster here and a newbie in regards to learning how to rip HD material to a blu-ray compatible file for burning blu ray discs.

I apologize for not reading the ENTIRE thread and all 900 posts but it is a little overwhelming for me to absorb and understand all that.

Here is my situation: I have a .ts file that is unbelievably high quality HD from CBS that I want to convert into a format that can be burned to a blu ray disc without losing any quality through down-compression. It is the 2008 Final Four, and the entire semi-final game is 12.1 Gigs. I am using Aiseesoft Blu-ray ripper, and no matter which format I use, even when it SAYS it is converting to 1920x1080 resolution, it still reduces the quality noticeably.

It may be HD but it's not sparkling like the original .ts file. Is there any way to do this and have completely lossless quality? I don't think most blu-ray players will play .ts or .m2ts files by themselves, so I was told I have to convert it to a readable format. But when I do that, I lose quality.

Is there any way to transfer it, bit for bit, byte for byte, quality for quality and then burn it to a blu ray disc? I am pulling my hair out with this!

Please explain and use easy to understand terms. I don't understand acronyms and such. Still new to all this.

Thank you!
post #928 of 6302 Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post

Hi guys,

I'm a first time poster here and a newbie in regards to learning how to rip HD material to a blu-ray compatible file for burning blu ray discs.

I apologize for not reading the ENTIRE thread and all 900 posts but it is a little overwhelming for me to absorb and understand all that.

Here is my situation: I have a .ts file that is unbelievably high quality HD from CBS that I want to convert into a format that can be burned to a blu ray disc without losing any quality through down-compression. It is the 2008 Final Four, and the entire semi-final game is 12.1 Gigs. I am using Aiseesoft Blu-ray ripper, and no matter which format I use, even when it SAYS it is converting to 1920x1080 resolution, it still reduces the quality noticeably.

It may be HD but it's not sparkling like the original .ts file. Is there any way to do this and have completely lossless quality? I don't think most blu-ray players will play .ts or .m2ts files by themselves, so I was told I have to convert it to a readable format. But when I do that, I lose quality.

Is there any way to transfer it, bit for bit, byte for byte, quality for quality and then burn it to a blu ray disc? I am pulling my hair out with this!

Please explain and use easy to understand terms. I don't understand acronyms and such. Still new to all this.

Thank you!

You could try using CLown_BD, which should allow you to take a TS file and put it into a Blu Ray folder structure/ISO. Clown_BD does zero encoding:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Clown_BD

Cheers,
Damian

post #929 of 6302 Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 AM

How do I do that? Do I add my video file where it says imageburn ISO?
post #930 of 6302 Old 02-13-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post

How do I do that? Do I add my video file where it says imageburn ISO?

Add your file to the "movie location" part.

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page