Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 310 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 772Likes

post #9271 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
I'd bet the effers will have a database of every player in use as well.
And probably your usage statistics as well if you leave it connected. Think of all the Smart TV's and disk players we already have and leave connected to the Internet. It's not something to even worry about any more.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
These programmers are still owed money by the original owner. I doubt if they'll be able to honor previous licenses.

Note they are pirating the product from their previous employer. The property doesn't enter the public domain just because he shuts down the company. He'd have to sign it over to them, else it is legally very shady. Which it may have been anyway, of course.

-Bill
Seriously? The "original owner" could sue the programmers for piracy?

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
(I came, I saw, I drank wine!)
post #9273 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
And probably your usage statistics as well if you leave it connected. Think of all the Smart TV's and disk players we already have and leave connected to the Internet. It's not something to even worry about any more.
I don't care if they collect my usage statistics as long as it's anonymous and they ask my permission first.
post #9274 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
You all are forgetting what these guys do for a living. The rules do not really apply to them. If they can revive it, they will regardless of who owns what. They do not care. I for one am very eager to see how all this plays out. I would gladly pay again to help them out. It will not be the first time I have lost money on a bad bet or investment.
My procrastination seems to have paid off; I downloaded the latest AnyDVD HD and installed it. But have not yet re-upped my license.

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
post #9275 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Thanks, I'll check them out tonight.

Actually I don't have them in separate folders. All the titles are kept in a single folder on each HDD. They are named exactly as Plex would have them be named -- including the "- pt1", etc. -- and the server scrapes the correct meta data for each title. I know Plex exemplifies using separate folders for titles but you really don't need to. The system basically relies on your having named the titles properly. I have several other 2-part titles on that HDD that are appropriately named and also not in a separate folder and Plex handles them fine.
I see your naming and I'm going to try leaving out the LOTR preamble in the title and see what that does.
I don't have all my titles in folders either, but it was the only way I could get the LOTR to work. I'll get exact names once home. I think I got it mostly right from memory.
post #9276 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post
I don't have all my titles in folders either, but it was the only way I could get the LOTR to work.
Well that tells a story, doesn't it.
OK, I'll give the separate folders a shot also.
Thanks.

Hey, is there a Plex thread somewhere in AVS?
Maybe we should start one if not.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9277 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Hey, is there a Plex thread somewhere in AVS?
Plex Discussion Thread
post #9278 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Thanks.

- kelson h

post #9279 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Wireless member

There is now a new release of AnyDVD HD.
Keenan likes this.

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
post #9280 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
There is now a new release of AnyDVD HD.
https://forum.redfox.bz/download/
LastButNotLeast likes this.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #9281 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Will it accept the old license numbers?

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #9282 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Apparently, the change log says it will only work for registered owners...

This is an intermediate release, so old customers can continue to use their existing AnyDVD license to watch their discs. This version will only work, if you already own a valid AnyDVD license

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #9283 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Apparently, the change log says it will only work for registered owners...

This is an intermediate release, so old customers can continue to use their existing AnyDVD license to watch their discs. This version will only work, if you already own a valid AnyDVD license
And it *does* access the RedFox OPD.

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
post #9284 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Will it accept the old license numbers?
Yes.

post #9285 of 9786 Old 03-01-2016, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. But the viewing area of my 65" TV is 56.5" wide.(which is actually a 64.5" diagonal screen like most 65" UHD TVs) The screen is what actually counts. So that would be closer to 35 degrees off center. Which is still nowhere near the 70 degrees off center that was initially posted. Still I can only go by my observations. At 7 feet away with 2K content, I need to back things up many times because I miss them. At 3 to 4 feet away with 4K and 3D content, I rarely need to do that because I am not missing those things.
Bear in mind that when I mentioned "seventy degrees off center", that was a meaningless number that I conjured up as an extreme example of what would be significant for your "lizard brain", and nothing else. So don't hyper-focus on that statement or that number as being some kind of baseline. It is not. It was meant to point out the distinction that in the outfield of human vision, our brains are not cognisant of detail so much as they are of movement to identify the presence of potential threats or whatever.

As long as you're happy that's what important. And I get the whole ADD thing. Truly I do. But unless you're truly a human oddity (which is possible I suppose), at a 3-4' viewing distance you're getting the benefit of 4K only in the center half of the screen. A typical human eye simply doesn't have much resolving power beyond a certain angle. Do you move your head or eyes at all during viewing? What sort of stuff are you missing? I wonder if you're compensating at all for the viewing distance.

On a related note, who here has had the pleasure of visiting Toronto's Cinesphere at Ontario Place? I went there when it first opened. Truly captivating, for that sort of immersive theater experience.
post #9286 of 9786 Old 03-02-2016, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Surprising that in a discussion about ripping for format shifting nobody has brought up linux. If your PC runs Windows or Mac OS, there are commercial programs with BDA licenses that enable you to watch a commercial disk on your PC.

AFAIK, none exist for linux -- please correct me if I'm wrong.
So if you are a linux user, you have no choice but to rip for format shift if you want to watch what you paid for.

- kelson h

post #9287 of 9786 Old 03-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
LOTS of off topic posts removed. Please move the discussion of what's going on with Slysoft to the above-mentioned thread. Saves people asking questions in one thread that are answered in another. Naturally, the mechanics of USING AnyDVD belong here. In fact, the mechanics of backing up BD discs is about all that belongs here.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9288 of 9786 Old 03-04-2016, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
BDtoAVCHD won't complete a job

I'm trying to find a way to get SBS format for my Monsters, Inc 3D BD. I've ripped the disc using both AnyDVD and MakeMKV. BDtoAVCHD sounds like the perfect solution. However, I can't get a job to finish. I've tried different mpls files, and other settings but no change. It gets to step 1/4 EAC3TO @ 100% and just sits there (no CPU or HDD activity), and no output file. Any ideas of why it won't progress to step 2?

I've tried it on different computers, x64 and x86.

I also am not sure if this is the best part of the forum to post this issue...

Justin
post #9289 of 9786 Old 03-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Append appends them. That is: 2 10 minute source files will become 1 20 minute destination file.

All the tracks have to be of the same type and in the same order. You can mess with the order but it is more work. I suspect your audio tracks are not compatible as is.

-Bill
So, I ripped a concert Blu-Ray that had two titles. One title had an audio track that was DTS-HD MA at 96Khz and the other title an audio track that was DTS-HD MA 48Khz.

I have tried playback of both titles using Kodi and JRiver Media Center. BOTH media players show the audio track for BOTH titles as being 48Khz.

BUT... if I display the audio information from my AVR (Denon AVR 4520CI), title 1 shows as 96Khz and title 2 shows as 48Hhz.

Even better, I merged the two titles into a single MKV using MKVToolsNix GUI. Again when I play this merged MKV file, Kodi and JRiver show 48Khz for ALL chapters. But, my AVR shows 96Khz for any chapter from title 1 and 48Khz when playing any chapter from title 2.
post #9290 of 9786 Old 03-05-2016, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Surprising that in a discussion about ripping for format shifting nobody has brought up linux. If your PC runs Windows or Mac OS, there are commercial programs with BDA licenses that enable you to watch a commercial disk on your PC.

AFAIK, none exist for linux -- please correct me if I'm wrong.
So if you are a linux user, you have no choice but to rip for format shift if you want to watch what you paid for.
VLC can play older BluRay disks via libaacs on Linux, and there is a libbdplus here which might let it play newer disks:

https://www.videolan.org/developers/libbdplus.html

...but it is not a commercially supported player like you find on Windows, so AACS key management is up to the user.

In practice, doing a BDMV rip and then invoking Handbrake to create a .mkv or .mp4 container at a smaller resolution for portable devices seems to be the best workflow in general, and certainly playback of the ripped content on Linux is easier than trying to play the disk directly.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #9291 of 9786 Old 03-05-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwintiger View Post
I'm trying to find a way to get SBS format for my Monsters, Inc 3D BD. I've ripped the disc using both AnyDVD and MakeMKV. BDtoAVCHD sounds like the perfect solution. However, I can't get a job to finish. I've tried different mpls files, and other settings but no change. It gets to step 1/4 EAC3TO @ 100% and just sits there (no CPU or HDD activity), and no output file. Any ideas of why it won't progress to step 2?

Justin
The best way to rip 3D is using the latest tsMuxer. (Ver.2.6.12). Rip or mount the Disc to hdd. Load the correct playlist into tsMuxer and create an 3D ISO or BD folder structure.

Last edited by blackssr; 03-05-2016 at 12:30 PM.
post #9292 of 9786 Old 03-06-2016, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwintiger View Post

Justin
try BD-Rebuilder.

I've used it to convert 3D Monsters Inc to a SBS mkv. It should do the whole disc fine.
post #9293 of 9786 Old 03-06-2016, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Damn. This has been driving me nuts the past couple days. I have the EE editions of all 3 LOTR which, as you know, are split across 2 disks. I have them named appropriately with the "- pt1" & "- pt2" in the file names. No matter what I try, my Plex server keeps showing them as 6 separate title entries and will not show just 3 merged titles.

What is maddening is that I have other 2-part titles that Plex takes care of fine -- just not LOTR.

Why don't you just merge the two files into one?
post #9294 of 9786 Old 03-07-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Why don't you just merge the two files into one?
Because under ordinary circumstances, Plex takes care of it painlessly.
Now that I have LOTR naming straightened out, Plex has got it.

- kelson h

post #9295 of 9786 Old 03-07-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Can anyone recommend some good 50GB BD-R discs from amazon? I have some Optical Quantum 25 GB discs and know they are well regarded here. But, I don't really know about the 50 GB size....I am not needing a ton but if it is cheaper to do that I can consider it..
post #9296 of 9786 Old 03-07-2016, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
[ObParanoia]
That is unless you consider the possibility of being profiled as doubleplusungood based on your choices of media consumption.
[/ObParanoia]
post #9297 of 9786 Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
Can anyone recommend some good 50GB BD-R discs from amazon? I have some Optical Quantum 25 GB discs and know they are well regarded here. But, I don't really know about the 50 GB size....I am not needing a ton but if it is cheaper to do that I can consider it..
OC BD-DL are still a good bet.
They run ~$2/disk so you can get a 25 pack of 6X OC BD-DL for $50. If you prefer Verbatim, you can get 4X BD-DL for the same price but you have to buy a 50 pack for $100.

I've been a big user of OC BD-R and like many others have been super happy with the quality and the price. I have not gotten into BD-DL so no personal experience. If I did and only anticipated using a "few" I would go with the OC BD-DL simply because they come in smaller packs. If I was going to go full in on BD-DL and willing to buy a 50 pack, I would buy the Verbatim -- they are Japanese imports with MKK displayed prominently on the label.

That's just my thoughts -- take them for what they're worth.
aaronwt likes this.

- kelson h

post #9298 of 9786 Old 03-07-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
OC BD-DL are still a good bet.
They run ~$2/disk so you can get a 25 pack of 6X OC BD-DL for $50. If you prefer Verbatim, you can get 4X BD-DL for the same price but you have to buy a 50 pack for $100.

I've been a big user of OC BD-R and like many others have been super happy with the quality and the price. I have not gotten into BD-DL so no personal experience. If I did and only anticipated using a "few" I would go with the OC BD-DL simply because they come in smaller packs. If I was going to go full in on BD-DL and willing to buy a 50 pack, I would buy the Verbatim -- they are Japanese imports with MKK displayed prominently on the label.

That's just my thoughts -- take them for what they're worth.
Yep, I was just going to post the same recommendation, I've had zero problems with Optical Quantum.
post #9299 of 9786 Old 03-07-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
[ObParanoia]
That is unless you consider the possibility of being profiled as doubleplusungood based on your choices of media consumption.
[/ObParanoia]
Everybody with a cable STB, DVR or TiVo already has their every move tracked, reported and sold. I've yet to see TMZ profile anyone for their viewing habits. Privacy is over-rated. Just ask Erin Andrews or Hulk Hogan.

- kelson h

post #9300 of 9786 Old 03-07-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yep, I was just going to post the same recommendation, I've had zero problems with Optical Quantum.
Have you used their BD-DL?

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page