Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 787Likes

Old 05-08-2016, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I was considering doing BD9 ISOs and playing them from an external drive. But since there are 3tb USB external hard drives out now for good price, I think I'm going to just do BD25 ISOs as it's minimal compression and a lot of stuff will fit it it with just the main video and core audio track.

What file sizes are you guys compressing to? Is there any benefit in compressing the HD audio to FLAC? Or is the core audio good enough?

Last edited by hogger129; 05-08-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
I was considering doing BD9 ISOs and playing them from an external drive. But since there are 3tb USB external hard drives out now for good price, I think I'm going to just do BD25 ISOs as it's minimal compression and a lot of stuff will fit it it with just the main video and core audio track.

What file sizes are you guys compressing to? Is there any benefit in compressing the HD audio to FLAC? Or is the core audio good enough?

No real reason to go from lossless to lossless unless your player can't decode one or the other.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
No real reason to go from lossless to lossless unless your player can't decode one or the other.
Thanks. I just decided to go with uncompressed video and AC3 5.1 640kbps for the audio and call it a day.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 239
So it wasn't until recently that I noticed this issue I'm having is with Fox films, but on Fox titles as of late, I'm getting rips with copious amounts of ongoing video distortion. (Oh, with MakeMKV btw) Anyone know what the deal is with that? Is it just because I'm ripping when these titles are new and a future software update fixes the rip issue?

Also, some Disney titles, 3D ones, have gotten their first chapter or so just deleted. Finding Nemo and The Good Dinosaur at least. Any ideas for that one either?

Funnily enough, deleting the first chapter of Nemo turns it into Milhouse's version of the movie.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Apparently that happens when MakeMKV does not yet know how to bypass the BD+ protection properly.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
Old 05-22-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I might be late to the party, but fab has a new feature that removes cinavia. For real?
http://www.dvdfab.cn/cinavia.htm

EDIT: Didn't realize users need to purchase a plug-in.

Last edited by johnBlanker; 05-22-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Apparently that happens when MakeMKV does not yet know how to bypass the BD+ protection properly.
Does it tend to get fixed with later updates?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Does it tend to get fixed with later updates?
Yes. (For BD+ and playlist selection; I have not seen any video distortions).

-Bill
javanpohl likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 05-24-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks... I missed the "yet" part of that post.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Derp... so for like a year or two now, whenever I updated MakeMKV, I was updating a version of the program that my automatic ripping script didn't use (different folders). Strangely the version that the script was using seemed to have teh current registration key in it. Surprised it still worked at all. I'm guessing makemkvcon is a little more flexible in that department than the GUI? I didn't even notice until recently--I kept getting a "failed to open disc" error. That version was still on 1.9.3 apparently.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Derp... so for like a year or two now, whenever I updated MakeMKV, I was updating a version of the program that my automatic ripping script didn't use (different folders). Strangely the version that the script was using seemed to have teh current registration key in it.

It seems to keep at least some of that information in hidden files.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sure the answer I'm looking for is in this thread somewhere so apologize for being lazy but can someone clarify for me if there is *any* loss of functionality at all from going from a ripped BDMV folder structure to MKV?

My purchased blu-ray collection has been ripped with ClownBD, main movie only, with the HD audio track and English subtitles. I only use BD-lite and don't care about menus but I do like the chapters.

If I convert from BDMV folder structure to MKV in order to be more compatible with more media streamers, will I be losing any information from the BDMV rip? I have been working on rips for 4 years and don't want to have to re-rip anything because I decided to go MKV ignorantly and missed something. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2016, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Assuming you select the correct audio and subtitle options for each chapter, no.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Old 05-28-2016, 05:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by golobulus View Post
I'm sure the answer I'm looking for is in this thread somewhere so apologize for being lazy but can someone clarify for me if there is *any* loss of functionality at all from going from a ripped BDMV folder structure to MKV?

My purchased blu-ray collection has been ripped with ClownBD, main movie only, with the HD audio track and English subtitles. I only use BD-lite and don't care about menus but I do like the chapters.

If I convert from BDMV folder structure to MKV in order to be more compatible with more media streamers, will I be losing any information from the BDMV rip? I have been working on rips for 4 years and don't want to have to re-rip anything because I decided to go MKV ignorantly and missed something. Thanks!
Under your scenario, you lose nothing. MKV can have multiple subtitle tracks, multiple audio tracks, and chapters.

Audio and video data will be the same, unless you go another step and compress with something like HandBrake, but that is optional.

Make sure your playback system likes MKV as well as BDMV. Try an experiment or two with MakeMKV and see if the results have the functionality you want.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 05-28-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golobulus View Post
If I convert from BDMV folder structure to MKV in order to be more compatible with more media streamers, will I be losing any information from the BDMV rip?
The only thing you will lose is having forced subtitles work automatically. There's almost no standalone out there that adheres to the forced flag in MKVs.

Tech Flaws
Old 05-28-2016, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LastButNotLeast, wmcclain, and techflaws, thank you very much for each of your replies. Forced subs is a bummer, but even with BDMV they are only working for me about half the time so I'm used to manually having to turn them on. Looks like I'm going to lossless MKV!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Re: BD vs DVD for tv shows: Seems to me that any show filmed/created pre-2002-ish can't really take advantage of BD quality. I see these on netflix with 4x3 aspect ratio and stereo soundtracks. Like Supernatural, which would be awesome in BD but the first 3 seasons are TV aspect and TV sound.
Not true. If it was shot on film, it can take advantage of BD quality. Sure, it will be in 4:3 aspect and stereo sound, but it will still be 1080p. Have you seen Pee-wee's Playhouse on Blu-ray? It looks incredible. That show was on from 1986 to 1990, but it was shot on film.

Shows that "were videotaped in front of a studio audience", like All in the Family, won't benefit since they were recorded on tape, so they are locked into the standard of the day (640x480).

I never paid attention on the old shows as far as whether they said the show was taped or filmed, but now I do.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I decided to rip my Hitchcock Collection for PLEX. I've been using Handbrake on my Mac.

It takes a little longer since it is making a MP4. MKVs would be faster, but too big a file. They're averaging 8-14GB each. So far so good.

These are the instructions I'm using. I wasn't even aware I could use Handbrake by itself. Before I was using MakeMKV then Handbrake.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I decided to rip my Hitchcock Collection for PLEX. I've been using Handbrake on my Mac.

It takes a little longer since it is making a MP4. MKVs would be faster, but too big a file. They're averaging 8-14GB each. So far so good.

These are the instructions I'm using. I wasn't even aware I could use Handbrake by itself. Before I was using MakeMKV then Handbrake.
I don't use it but, does Handbrake remove the protections? I didn't think that it did!

Ahh, just read the instructions (duh! ), I wasn't aware that you could do that with MakeMKV!

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 & BDP-103D (waiting for 4K ) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra

Last edited by captainbrent; 05-31-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Beatles 1 & 1+

Has anyone here ripped the Beatles 1 & 1+ discs and would like to offer up some advice/recommendations? I'm thinking that I'm going to have to rip all the individual titles separately and then merge them all together.

Cheers

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 & BDP-103D (waiting for 4K ) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
Old 05-31-2016, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
FWIW, I have always ripped BD-Audio with the same tools as Blu-ray movies, and then converted the audio to FLAC.
Was this directed at me? I'm ripping the videos with, of course, the audio.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Has anyone here ripped the Beatles 1 & 1+ discs and would like to offer up some advice/recommendations? I'm thinking that I'm going to have to rip all the individual titles separately and then merge them all together.

Cheers
That title forced me into therapy, seriously.
Rip a full disc ISO and be happy. There is no way to navigate that mess other than via the full disc menus.
You can't merge them gracefully because they are a mix of video resolutions and audio codecs. Its a horrible mess.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
That title forced me into therapy, seriously.
Rip a full disc ISO and be happy. There is no way to navigate that mess other than via the full disc menus.
You can't merge them gracefully because they are a mix of video resolutions and audio codecs. Its a horrible mess.
LOL, yes, it is a rather convoluted mess!

Thank you for the advice!

Old 06-03-2016, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Anybody got the latest beta key for MakeMKV?
Their forum site is still showing the old one that expired at the end of May.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 06-03-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Anybody got the latest beta key for MakeMKV?
Their forum site is still showing the old one that expired at the end of May.
I entered the key from that post a few days ago and my copy continued working. Prior to that it said my copy had expired and I couldn't use it. Now it's extended for another 40 days or so.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 06-03-2016, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm registered but a friend told me the old trick with setting back the PC clock would work. Never tried it myself though.

Tech Flaws
Old 06-03-2016, 10:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
I'm registered but a friend told me the old trick with setting back the PC clock would work. Never tried it myself though.
It works. I tried that before. And would have the other day if entering the code I entered didn't work.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I entered the key from that post a few days ago and my copy continued working. Prior to that it said my copy had expired and I couldn't use it. Now it's extended for another 40 days or so.
I tried that too, but it gave me the same error message as before, wipes away the key and tells me my copy is outdated before closing. It does still work without a key. I've been using it the past couple days and each time I launch it, it tells me I'm starting a new 30 day demo period with 30 days left. Hopefully, they'll get the new key out soon.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 06-04-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Is the exp. date fixed or measured from install date? My 1.9.10 was installed on 11May and shows 12Jul exp...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Old 06-04-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Is the exp. date fixed or measured from install date? My 1.9.10 was installed on 11May and shows 12Jul exp...
I think I may have been looking at the wrong date. That is the date I see for expiration on mine. But also for me since entering the code again I can open it and it never says that the evaluation period has expired.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread