Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 322 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 775Likes

post #9631 of 9811 Old 06-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
If you rip media you purchased you don't fall under the "some" that I mentioned. How do those who rip justify it when Digital copies are available with the discs they purchase? You don't have to wait for the industry to tell you the numbers, all you have to do is visit any torrent site. Search for movie titles and see the number of downloads. I really doubt they all have purchased copies in their media collections.

The cost to prevent unlawful copying is expensive and it does add to the cost of media. Since the industry is in the business of making money, it doesn't make sense they would endure the costs if there wasn't a problem.
The topic of this thread is Rippling Blu-rays, not the Legality/Morality of Rippling Blu-rays. Occasionally, members whose posts strongly suggest they are ripping rentals (sometimes they out and out say they are), and those members, I'd say, are tolerated by the rest of us who are operating within our understanding of Fair Use with the hope that they will just go away.

I don't think this thread is the right place to "discuss" your issues. To me, it is next to trolling.

Jeff
Kelson, shimonmor and KMFDMvsEnya like this.

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
(I came, I saw, I drank wine!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 9811 Old 06-10-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The Music industry has adapted. Seems both Movie and Gaming industries are still in denial. Why digital copies of my XB1 games cost the same or more than retail versions makes zero sense to me.
post #9633 of 9811 Old 06-10-2016, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Unless I am mistaken........those included digital copies are not the same quality (video/audio) as a 1-1 ripped BD would be. Ok, I am not sure about video.......but last time I tried using the included digital copy it had downgraded audio.

As few have mentioned........being able to create 1-1 ripped versions of movies is due to storage place and ease of access. When your library is in the high hundreds or in the 1000s, physical media becomes a nightmare to deal with. Also being able to just grab the movie with audio track you want...no menus (we rarely care about specials, etc)...and forced previews.

When family sits down to watch a movie.......picking from a menu and instantly getting to the movie beats the hell out of going thru stacks or shelves of discs. Not too mention all the extra meta-data information that is available....

To be honest........I look forward to the day when something along the lines of Screening Room becomes available. If I can have access to movies with top quality video and audio on-demand when I want......I would gladly pay the studios for it.
I've already said I understand the want for additional copies--if you own the original. When something along the line of Screen Room does becomes available, I doubt it changes anything. There will always be those who won't want the same options, formats, etc the rest are happy with and will feel justified to rip.
post #9634 of 9811 Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
There goes your credibility.
What a stupid, flip thing to say. So the hundreds, maybe thousands associated with copy-protection all have no credibility, or were you specifying just those associated with Arccos/Screen Pass? Since I no longer work for them, your hostility is aimed in the wrong direction. I suppose you also think all nuns have bad fashion sense and all priests are child molesters. It must be a terrible burden for you being perfect in an imperfect world..
post #9635 of 9811 Old 06-10-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
The topic of this thread is Rippling Blu-rays, not the Legality/Morality of Rippling Blu-rays. Occasionally, members whose posts strongly suggest they are ripping rentals (sometimes they out and out say they are), and those members, I'd say, are tolerated by the rest of us who are operating within our understanding of Fair Use with the hope that they will just go away.

I don't think this thread is the right place to "discuss" your issues. To me, it is next to trolling.

Jeff
I've never said all and did specify some. I'm genuinely interested in the subject, not a troll. Sorry if I've tipped the apple cart. I'm done and will go away remembering the treatment I received from "some" of you. You're right, there no reason to talk morality here.
post #9636 of 9811 Old 06-10-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Many of these small operations use a third party eseller service for transactions. For instance Digital River has several of these including a very low cost service I use. Usually you set up a script which generates a key that the eselller fetches and includes it in a sales email to the customer. Doing this manually would drive anyone nuts.
Keenan likes this.
post #9637 of 9811 Old 06-10-2016, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I see you've ignored my reply to your bold statements. Color me surprised.

Quote:
You're right ripping CDs is not different, it's also illegal.
Not in Germany. Now what?

Quote:
Search for movie titles and see the number of downloads. I really doubt they all have purchased copies in their media collections.
That's not the point. The point is: how many of those would have bought the copies if they hadn't been able to download them. The industry counts each as a lost sale and adds totally unrelated industries to inflate their numbers by claiming they are copyright dependent (like flower shops who decorate movie premiere events). Anyone here in reality knows that's BS.

Quote:
The cost to prevent unlawful copying is expensive and it does add to the cost of media.
Right, and since IT DOES NOT WORK, it's a stupid business decision to keep trying and failing over and over again. Denuvo may change things for the gaming industry but Cinavia is an expensive bust.

Quote:
What a stupid, flip thing to say. So the hundreds, maybe thousands associated with copy-protection all have no credibility, or were you specifying just those associated with Arccos/Screen Pass?
Well, if you lie down with dogs...

Quote:
Since I no longer work for them, your hostility is aimed in the wrong direction.
Is it? You spam a thread with off-topic and wrong accusations. Been there done that in this thread. The mods will probably delete these posts anytime soon as they have done with previous attempts by derailers.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better

Last edited by techflaws; 06-10-2016 at 09:43 PM.
post #9638 of 9811 Old 06-11-2016, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a original disc (Valkyrie) and I want a backup from this. The .iso file it's 45,2GB. So I can't use a single 50GB ( I think the actual free size it's 42,3GB) ?

Last edited by Vasilis07; 06-11-2016 at 04:11 AM.
post #9639 of 9811 Old 06-11-2016, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
To be honest........I look forward to the day when something along the lines of Screening Room becomes available. If I can have access to movies with top quality video and audio on-demand when I want......I would gladly pay the studios for it.
Kaleidascape does this now. But the price of entry is crazy high.
post #9640 of 9811 Old 06-11-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am having trouble getting DTS-MA audio from my Star Wars Bluray rip.
My situation is explained in this post
How to get DTS audio from mkv?

Is there a way to get DTS-MA in an mkv file?
post #9641 of 9811 Old 06-11-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4165 Post(s)
Liked: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Kaleidascape does this now. But the price of entry is crazy high.
Not as high as it used to be. It's come down quite a lot from what they used to cost.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9642 of 9811 Old 06-11-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by karos View Post

I've never had any problem with my 1:1 rips that have been made using MakeMKV. DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD play back without issue. You just need to select the audio tracks before ripping. Maybe there is a setting to change this but I know when I've used MakeMKV it defaults to having the Advanced audio codecs unchecked.

So I need to make sure DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD are checked off before ripping. I typically check off all the english audio tracks and subtitles before ripping a BD title to an MKV.
Kelson and captainbrent like this.

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-11-2016 at 08:42 AM.
post #9643 of 9811 Old 06-11-2016, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The MakeMKV beta key has been renewed and it is 'til the end of July.
aaronwt likes this.
post #9644 of 9811 Old 06-11-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karos View Post

I've never had any problem with my 1:1 rips that have been made using MakeMKV. DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD play back without issue. You just need to select the audio tracks before ripping. Maybe there is a setting to change this but I know when I've used MakeMKV it defaults to having the Advanced audio codecs unchecked.

So I need to make sure DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD are checked off before ripping. I typically check off all the english audio tracks and subtitles before ripping a BD title to an MKV.

Yeah I ended up updating my advanced settings to exclude all subtitles, non English and lossy audio and just select lossless English audio.

Saved tons of unchecking and checking.
Keenan likes this.
post #9645 of 9811 Old 06-11-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilis07 View Post
I have a original disc (Valkyrie) and I want a backup from this. The .iso file it's 45,2GB. So I can't use a single 50GB ( I think the actual free size it's 42,3GB) ?
Use ImgBurn to do the burn. When you load the .iso it will tell you the size disk needed.

Your case should be fine. I've burned a 45.3GB folder set to BD-R DL and it took up only 97% of the disk.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9646 of 9811 Old 06-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
What a stupid, flip thing to say. So the hundreds, maybe thousands associated with copy-protection all have no credibility, or were you specifying just those associated with Arccos/Screen Pass? Since I no longer work for them, your hostility is aimed in the wrong direction. I suppose you also think all nuns have bad fashion sense and all priests are child molesters. It must be a terrible burden for you being perfect in an imperfect world..
Just Arccos/Screen Pass or any other entity that is associated with Sony's media department...... well, on second thought, I guess I would apply it to pretty much anyone in the copy-protection industry. Look how well it worked out for digital audio.

And yes, I do think that Nuns have bad fashion sense.
post #9647 of 9811 Old 06-11-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Maybe there is a setting to change this but I know when I've used MakeMKV it defaults to having the Advanced audio codecs unchecked.
Anyone using makemkv should definitely update the profile so that the rips are good for their particular device. You could, for example, have it automatically convert to 7.1 PCM or multi-channel FLAC. No more box checking!

Here's an example of what I mean: Convert PCM to FLAC, Leave HD alone
Franin likes this.
post #9648 of 9811 Old 06-17-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
Just tried to rip The Witch -- 230 fake playlists.
I thought that was bad.
Then I tried to rip Gods of Egypt -- 400 fake playlists.
Seriously!?!

How I hate Lions Gate.
djc11369, captainbrent and DotJun like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9649 of 9811 Old 06-17-2016, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Thank you. You just convinced me that the $100 I just spent for AnyDVD HD was worthwhile.

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #9650 of 9811 Old 06-17-2016, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Then I tried to rip Gods of Egypt -- 400 fake playlists.
Totally unnecessary level of extra protection given in that case the "quality" of the movie is the best copy protection ever. SCNR.
Keenan and captainbrent like this.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #9651 of 9811 Old 06-18-2016, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Under view - preferences - advanced - default selection rule field add: +sel:lossless

I've set it up so it unchecks everything, then checks lossless, lossy and forced titles in English. It doesn't work perfectly as it still selects forced in other languages and sometimes selects a lossy track that you don't want but works mostly. You may be able to fine tune it more if you want to put in the time but my full rule is:

-sel:all,+sel:forced,+sel:lossless,+sellossy&(!st ereo)),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang

Edit: The unhappy face should be the characters : and ( It's apparently forcing in emoticons. No space in "stereo" either...some weird auto behaviors
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by djc11369; 06-18-2016 at 06:13 AM.
post #9652 of 9811 Old 06-18-2016, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Just tried to rip The Witch -- 230 fake playlists.
680 worked for my retail copy.
post #9653 of 9811 Old 06-18-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
Under view - preferences - advanced - default selection rule field add: +sel:lossless

I've set it up so it unchecks everything, then checks lossless, lossy and forced titles in English. It doesn't work perfectly as it still selects forced in other languages and sometimes selects a lossy track that you don't want but works mostly. You may be able to fine tune it more if you want to put in the time but my full rule is:

-sel:all,+sel:forced,+sel:lossless,+sellossy&(!st ereo)),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang

Edit: The unhappy face should be the characters : and ( It's apparently forcing in emoticons. No space in "stereo" either...some weird auto behaviors
Try using the code tag. I'm assuming the below is the string you intended?

Code:
-sel:all,+sel:forced,+sel:lossless,+sel:(lossy&(!stereo)),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang
djc11369 likes this.
post #9654 of 9811 Old 06-18-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
You can also check the box under "Additional Options" to "Disable smilies in text."
;-)
That should work.
:-D
Michael
djc11369 likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #9655 of 9811 Old 06-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Try using the code tag. I'm assuming the below is the string you intended?

Code:
-sel:all,+sel:forced,+sel:lossless,+sel:(lossy&(!stereo)),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
You can also check the box under "Additional Options" to "Disable smilies in text."
;-)
That should work.
:-D
Michael
Thanks for the tips. I knew there was a way, as I've seen it in other posts, but never took the time to figure it out.
post #9656 of 9811 Old 06-18-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't know if it's the correct section for my question.

There are bluray Mastered In 4K. What the difference with the standard editions ? For example I have "The Bridge on the River Kwai". Worth it to buy the 4k edition ?
post #9657 of 9811 Old 06-18-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 676
That just means they were taken from a 4K master to make the BD. Its not a true 4K movie since its 1080p. Worth it? Guess thats up to you.
However if they came from 4K masters then we know they should eventually come out as a 4K UHD movie.
post #9658 of 9811 Old 06-18-2016, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Does anyone have a "DIY for Dummies" to strip Bonus Content off a Blu-ray?

I'm not sure which way I want to do it, either:

1) Have menus intact with only special feature content perhaps to burn on to DVD, if I can retain HD, as I'm sure there'd be enough space.
2) Get playable files for each special feature item.

Thoughts?
post #9659 of 9811 Old 06-18-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

You can strip out all that with MakeMKV.

I think Any DVD HD will also remove that content. But I've never used it that way. I strictly use Any DVD HD for full 1:1 ISO backups.

post #9660 of 9811 Old 06-21-2016, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I've never said all and did specify some. I'm genuinely interested in the subject, not a troll. Sorry if I've tipped the apple cart. I'm done and will go away remembering the treatment I received from "some" of you. You're right, there no reason to talk morality here.
I'm the OP and I've been pretty silent around here. Let me first say that as the OP, you are welcome here. But having said that, I will assume you've been on forums, any forum, before and thus understand that there will be certain people who are impolite. Since I'm not a moderator I can't police my thread. You can't just run when you get a little pushback.

I started the thread seems like ages ago. The general purpose of the thread was to allow those of us who legitimately own Blu-rays to get rid of books and books of discs or worse, walls of boxes. Now I can browse all the discs I own and play them from my TV or computer. You want to talk morality? I think it is immoral to tell me how and what I can do with a product I purchased, including what machine I can play it on. However, I understand that there are those here and elsewhere who like to use technology to steal another's intellectual property. That is wrong and if I could ban those people, I would.

I've said it here before. I don't like owning all these discs and if I could get access to a 1080p streaming service from home with HD Audio, I'd do that. Meanwhile, I've got to confess that I've stopped buying as many BDs because I realized that I'll only watch most films once. So I pay my $1.50 at Redbox and play it on my Panasonic BD player. My wife still buys some of the Disney movies for the kids and we buy digital versions of most movies for our IPads.
heavy21 and shimonmor like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page