Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 787Likes

post #9841 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
I assume with PowerDVD / Process Monitor, that I just point Process Monitor at PowerDVD and watch for all the files it opens off the BD. I've never used Process Monitor, but I assume it lists the operations the process performs (sort of like an strace for Linux if you're familiar)? So, I'd run PowerDVD, play the movie, and the see which setlist file it opens?
Have a watch of this:

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 & BDP-103D (waiting for 4K ) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
For those of you using MakeMKV, is there a better way to determine the correct title for those stupid "let's randomize all things" BDs (i.e. the ones with lots of titles all with different scene orderings) than searching for the correct sequence in their forums and then manually looking through all the titles for the match?
You can use Google and search for "correct playlist for xxx".
It saves a lot of time.

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #9843 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I posted this on a separate thread, but I think this would be the ideal place. Tried to find the info I need here, but this is a huge thread, maybe you can help me

I have been using external hard drives to watch blu ray ripped movies using my Oppo and Sony blu ray players using their USB inputs, I have never used a a hard drive higher than 2 Tbs and it has worked out so far.

Last week I took the first step into ripping my whole bluray collection and I started by buying a 4 TB Seagate external hard drive on a try and see approach. I basically rip the main movie with the highest Video and Audio quality available (tons of hard drive space) Results, the 4 TB hard drive is too big and the bluray players do not recognize it (hard drive not supported) Only my Samsung 4k TV using their One Box solution recognizes the hard drive and plays the movies.

I do not want an expensive or complicated system, I just want to rip my movies to MKV and to hard drives for which I will make back ups as I go.

Would a higher capacity hard drive with its own power supply help on any of this? I would really love to have all my movies in one place with an additional back up, but it looks a little more complicated than anticipated. I have used WD, Toshiba and Seagate 2 TB hard drives and found no problems, the 4 TB is a NO NO.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #9844 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 02:02 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
I posted this on a separate thread, but I think this would be the ideal place. Tried to find the info I need here, but this is a huge thread, maybe you can help me

I have been using external hard drives to watch blu ray ripped movies using my Oppo and Sony blu ray players using their USB inputs, I have never used a a hard drive higher than 2 Tbs and it has worked out so far.

Last week I took the first step into ripping my whole bluray collection and I started by buying a 4 TB Seagate external hard drive on a try and see approach. I basically rip the main movie with the highest Video and Audio quality available (tons of hard drive space) Results, the 4 TB hard drive is too big and the bluray players do not recognize it (hard drive not supported) Only my Samsung 4k TV using their One Box solution recognizes the hard drive and plays the movies.

I do not want an expensive or complicated system, I just want to rip my movies to MKV and to hard drives for which I will make back ups as I go.

Would a higher capacity hard drive with its own power supply help on any of this? I would really love to have all my movies in one place with an additional back up, but it looks a little more complicated than anticipated. I have used WD, Toshiba and Seagate 2 TB hard drives and found no problems, the 4 TB is a NO NO.
Is this OPPO player older than the 103 series? The current players support hard drives larger than 2TB. That limit was due to the old-style MBR partitioning; new players support GPT partitioning that supports volume sizes larger than 2TB.

Otherwise: you could attach the drive to a PC on your home network and access it from the player via DLNA. The server setup conceals filesystem and volume sizes from clients.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #9845 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Which Oppo player? The BDP-93 does not support >2TB. The BDP-103 supports up to 16TB.
post #9846 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Which Oppo player? The BDP-93 does not support >2TB. The BDP-103 supports up to 16TB.
I was not able to try it the 4TB hard drive on my Oppo BDP-105 because I received the new hard drive yesterday and the Oppo died like a brick last week, but I have tried the 2 tb hard drives on the Oppo without a problem.

The blu ray players that failed to read the 4 tb hard drive now are the Sony 7200 and a cheaper LG blu ray player that has always worked well with 2 tb hard drives before.

I was wondering if hard drives higher than 2 Tb will not work even if self powered?

Should I just buy 2 tb hard drives, that would be a lot of hard drives, especially since i want to create back ups as well?

post #9847 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 02:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
I was not able to try it the 4TB hard drive on my Oppo BDP-105 because I received the new hard drive yesterday and the Oppo died like a brick last week, but I have tried the 2 tb hard drives on the Oppo without a problem.

The blu ray players that failed to read the 4 tb hard drive now are the Sony 7200 and a cheaper LG blu ray player that has always worked well with 2 tb hard drives before.

I was wondering if hard drives higher than 2 Tb will not work even if self powered?

Should I just buy 2 tb hard drives, that would be a lot of hard drives, especially since i want to create back ups as well?
Why not get the OPPO fixed and use the 4TB drive? Have you contacted Support? If you are out of the 2-year warranty period they have reasonable fixed-price repair prices.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #9848 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

+1 on the advice to get the Oppo fixed. It should be less than $100 if its out of warranty.

Buss powered (self powered) drives 2TB and larger really should be put on a powered USB hub with at least 1A of available power. Some of them require a USB-3 rated port to supply the needed power. But the size of the drive isn't a factor its the power requirement.
post #9849 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Would it work if you/he partitioned the 4GB drive into two 2GB partitions?

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #9850 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
+1 on the advice to get the Oppo fixed. It should be less than $100 if its out of warranty.

Buss powered (self powered) drives 2TB and larger really should be put on a powered USB hub with at least 1A of available power. Some of them require a USB-3 rated port to supply the needed power. But the size of the drive isn't a factor its the power requirement.
I would have preferred to buy a 5 tb powered hard drive from the start with but I thought it was the size of the drive and not the power that it needed to make it work. I should have come here first

post #9851 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I would have preferred to buy a 5 tb powered hard drive from the start with but I thought it was the size of the drive and not the power that it needed to make it work. I should have come here first
To clarify, the size of the HDD doesn't matter IF the player supports GPT partitions. (drives larger than 2TB). If the player is limited to MBR partitions (smaller than 2TB) then size matters.
post #9852 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
To clarify, the size of the HDD doesn't matter IF the player supports GPT partitions. (drives larger than 2TB). If the player is limited to MBR partitions (smaller than 2TB) then size matters.
Thank you rdgrimes,

So am I right to assume that the Oppo 105 supports GPT partitions? I will have to find that out as well as the Sony 7200.

post #9853 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thank you rdgrimes,

So am I right to assume that the Oppo 105 supports GPT partitions? I will have to find that out as well as the Sony 7200.
Yes, the 105 support large volumes, I think its around 16TB max.
post #9854 of 9870 Old 09-14-2016, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the 105 support large volumes, I think its around 16TB max.
I just sent Oppo an e-mail.

post #9855 of 9870 Old 09-15-2016, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 270
@luismanrara , if you plan to do this long term why not build a server/NAS or purchase a pre-built one? It sounds to me you might even be a good candidate for an HTPC (Home Theater PC).
post #9856 of 9870 Old 09-15-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
@luismanrara , if you plan to do this long term why not build a server/NAS or purchase a pre-built one? It sounds to me you might even be a good candidate for an HTPC (Home Theater PC).
I am so NOT INFORMED about what you are talking about, that I am afraid to start digging on yet another time involving project with countless hours of seaching

Maybe you can guide me to something already made that does not brake the Bank?

post #9857 of 9870 Old 09-15-2016, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am so NOT INFORMED about what you are talking about, that I am afraid to start digging on yet another time involving project with countless hours of seaching

Maybe you can guide me to something already made that does not brake the Bank?
There are several easy options that would fit your situation well. If the OPPO is out of the picture (meaning that you'll need a media player "front end" anyway) then a Home Theater PC might be a viable option for you. My HTPC case has three HDD (Hard Drive) bays which if I wanted to I could put three 6TB WD Red Drives (as an example). My case also has a nice spot for a SSD (boot drive). The aforementioned example would give you 16ish TB of storage and a really nice front end using Kodi as a media player... with this example I would highly recommend a dedicated thread and we would walk you through the building and setting up of the system (check out my HTPC post in my signature).

The second option would be a NAS (networked attached storage). This route would be the easiest solution. A good NAS system like the QNAP even come with a remote and can double as a "front end" media player (kinda like an HTPC). They are a bit more expensive then building an HTPC yourself but they are likely going to be more user friendly and worry free for someone with less experience or time to tinker.
post #9858 of 9870 Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There are several easy options that would fit your situation well. If the OPPO is out of the picture (meaning that you'll need a media player "front end" anyway) then a Home Theater PC might be a viable option for you. My HTPC case has three HDD (Hard Drive) bays which if I wanted to I could put three 6TB WD Red Drives (as an example). My case also has a nice spot for a SSD (boot drive). The aforementioned example would give you 16ish TB of storage and a really nice front end using Kodi as a media player... with this example I would highly recommend a dedicated thread and we would walk you through the building and setting up of the system (check out my HTPC post in my signature).

The second option would be a NAS (networked attached storage). This route would be the easiest solution. A good NAS system like the QNAP even come with a remote and can double as a "front end" media player (kinda like an HTPC). They are a bit more expensive then building an HTPC yourself but they are likely going to be more user friendly and worry free for someone with less experience or time to tinker.
Thank you for your detailed info, I will look into it and see what looks less complicated for me. Meanwhile I am sending the Oppo player for repairs.
jhughy2010 likes this.

post #9859 of 9870 Old 09-15-2016, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your detailed info, I will look into it and see what looks less complicated for me. Meanwhile I am sending the Oppo player for repairs.
No problem, in the meantime check out this QNAP which is a bare system (no hard drives) that has 4 bays and 2 HDMI outputs with tons of connectivity. QNAP is even advertising this NAS as a sort of media player (Plex, Kodi, DNLA, Emby, etc.)

You could probably grab four 4TB drives in bulk discount and then be set for a few years (it has taken me 2 years to get to about 16TB on my personal server).
post #9860 of 9870 Old 09-15-2016, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No problem, in the meantime check out this QNAP which is a bare system (no hard drives) that has 4 bays and 2 HDMI outputs with tons of connectivity. QNAP is even advertising this NAS as a sort of media player (Plex, Kodi, DNLA, Emby, etc.)

You could probably grab four 4TB drives in bulk discount and then be set for a few years (it has taken me 2 years to get to about 16TB on my personal server).
If I were to get something like this, what would I need to watch my movies? A computer or just plug it into a blu ray player which connects to my projector. Does this work with internal or external hardd rives?

Sorry, but I am really a rookie on this.

post #9861 of 9870 Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If I were to get something like this, what would I need to watch my movies? A computer or just plug it into a blu ray player which connects to my projector. Does this work with internal or external hardd rives?

Sorry, but I am really a rookie on this.
No problem, you got to start somewhere. These particular NAS devices are media players so you could literally connect it directly (via HDMI) to a TV, projector, or receiver. The four bays on the QNAP link I sent you are hot swappable drive bays (internal HDD).

I started out using an HTPC that doubled as a media server. I then built a server (check out my server in my signature) and placed it in another room and it handles media as well as a whole host of other things (cameras, gaming, etc.). The HTPC I recently built is just a front end (kodi) and a gaming machine. I also have a Roku 3 in our bedroom, Nexus Player in living room, Fire TV in another room that grabs Live TV and movie files from the server. The server transcodes on the fly and it also has the external (roof mounted) antenna connected to it via a TV tuner. I run Emby on the server to deliver the media locally as well as to some remote clients (several are on the other end of the continent).
post #9862 of 9870 Old 09-17-2016, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for the best external and internal Blu-ray drive to rip my collection. What would you guys recommend? I need something that can do it quick and with quality
post #9863 of 9870 Old 09-17-2016, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post
Looking for the best external and internal Blu-ray drive to rip my collection. What would you guys recommend? I need something that can do it quick and with quality
Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...+blu+ray+drive or this https://www.amazon.com/LG-Portable-B...+blu+ray+drive should work fine. Note that the first drive supports the BDXL discs, which could be an advantage if 4K UHD ripping becomes a thing. Quality is exactly the same as long as you are just doing rips, not compressing.
post #9864 of 9870 Old 09-18-2016, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Anyone have a sample 4K MKV? I want to if my devices are compatible before I start down the path of collecting 4K titles.
post #9865 of 9870 Old 09-18-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 875
post #9866 of 9870 Old 09-18-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
Quote:

Why is it a No No? I've been using two 4TB, 2.5" Seagate drives(extracted from Seagate external USB enclosures) in my TiVo Bolts for almost a year now. One is reading/writing several concurrent streams for 20 hours a day, every day. They have both been working great with zero issues.

Personally I use unRAID setups to store all my BDs. In mostly ISOs but a few dozen are in MKVs. The unRAIDs were initially easy for me to setup using spare parts. And have been much better to use than when I used to use a Windows Home Server to store my content.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9867 of 9870 Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Why is it a No No? I've been using two 4TB, 2.5" Seagate drives(extracted from Seagate external USB enclosures) in my TiVo Bolts for almost a year now. One is reading/writing several concurrent streams for 20 hours a day, every day. They have both been working great with zero issues.
Probably because the poster wants to plug a 4TB drive directly in to his BD player's USB port- then this is important:
Quote:

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #9868 of 9870 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Again, aaronwt, why ISO and not simply folder structure?

Jeff
post #9869 of 9870 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Again, aaronwt, why ISO and not simply folder structure?

Jeff
Indeed... ISO files require a more advanced (file reader) parser. Most of which only support file access over SMB, not UPnP/DLNA.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #9870 of 9870 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Indeed... ISO files require a more advanced (file reader) parser. Most of which only support file access over SMB, not UPnP/DLNA.
I was thinking about the additional processing step to convert the folder structure back to ISO. Of course, I am assuming that aaronwt's ISOs are not 1:1.

Jeff

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
(I came, I saw, I drank wine!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread