Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 330 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 788Likes

post #9871 of 9881 Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had asked before some time ago but i'm not sure it will be ok. So again.

I have a original disc (Valkyrie) and I want a backup from this. The file it's 45,2GB (48.541.593.873 bytes) . Can I use a single 50GB (actual free size it's 45,1GB 48.440.016.896 bytes) ? Can I burn this with NERO ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9872 of 9881 Old 09-25-2016, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...+blu+ray+drive or this https://www.amazon.com/LG-Portable-B...+blu+ray+drive should work fine. Note that the first drive supports the BDXL discs, which could be an advantage if 4K UHD ripping becomes a thing. Quality is exactly the same as long as you are just doing rips, not compressing.

The drive in the first link (BE14NU40) seems to be a discontinued model and only available used. There is another model from LG that seems to its replacement (BE16NU50). Here is a link.

Cheers,

Sony XBR-65X850D; Emotiva XMC-1 Pre/Pro; Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Amp; Sony BDP-S470; Paradigm Monitor 7 Mains; Paradigm CC-370 Center; Paradigm Titan Surrounds; Velodyne DLS3750R Sub
post #9873 of 9881 Old Today, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Sorry for my naive questions. This post is so long I may as well just ask the simple question here.

I have now accumulated a few dozen BD discs that I want to rip into my server. I'm not interested to transcoding/MKV or anything, essentially I just want to backup the whole disc into an iso or folder whichever is the best for KODI to play on my HTPC. What are the best software for this purpose? I'll do this under Windows 10 and an external BD drive. Thanks!
post #9874 of 9881 Old Today, 04:42 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Read the first post, always the thing to do before posting. That's a large part of how this "thread" got so long.

You will need to compare your gear's file compatibility with the output formats of any software you choose.

Last edited by pepar; Today at 04:45 PM.
post #9875 of 9881 Old Today, 05:38 PM

Thank for the quick reply! I read the first post and several pages and googled..

If I get it correct, it seems my best choice is to buy AnyDVD HD, once has it installed I can use other tools to copy BD disc into an ISO. Or with AnyDVD HD running, I can just copy the whole disc as into a folder on hard disk?

I'm using KODI on my HTPC running Windows 10. KODI seems to be able to play BD folders ok.
post #9876 of 9881 Old Today, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangh View Post
Sorry for my naive questions. This post is so long I may as well just ask the simple question here.

I have now accumulated a few dozen BD discs that I want to rip into my server. I'm not interested to transcoding/MKV or anything, essentially I just want to backup the whole disc into an iso or folder whichever is the best for KODI to play on my HTPC. What are the best software for this purpose? I'll do this under Windows 10 and an external BD drive. Thanks!
There are so many options, and it really depends on how you plan to play the ripped movies. I know nothing about Kodi so can't give you a complete answer.

One thing to consider with ripped Blu-rays is forced subtitles. About 5% of discs out there have a handful of subtitles which a Blu-ray player will display automatically. (District 9, Gran Torino for examples.) The movie can be really confusing without the forced subs. You have to rip carefully to make sure you capture the forced subs properly, where "properly" depends on what your playback system supports. Many don't support any forced subs at all; I expect Kodi supports MKV forced subs. You can rip to MKV using MakeMKV. No transcoding is necessary. Of course you will lose the Blu-ray menus.
post #9877 of 9881 Old Today, 06:04 PM

yes forced subtitle is the reason I think it's better to backup the whole BD so hopefully not to worry about forced subtitles. I don't have a chance to test whether KODI (XBMC) support forced subtitles, but I'll should be able to figure it out once I start ripping.

Can MakeMKV also be used just to back up the BD into a folder on hard drive?

Edit: seems it does? "MakeMKV can create a decrypted backup of a Blu-ray disc on a hard drive. Decrypted backup will contain all files from original disc but M2TS files will be decrypted (both AACS and BD+ will be removed). "
http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4
post #9878 of 9881 Old Today, 06:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Edit: seems it does? "MakeMKV can create a decrypted backup of a Blu-ray disc on a hard drive. Decrypted backup will contain all files from original disc but M2TS files will be decrypted (both AACS and BD+ will be removed). "
http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4
Yes, MakeMKV has a full backup option as well as MKV output.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #9879 of 9881 Old Today, 06:21 PM

Thanks for confirming that! Now I'm leaning toward MakeMKV. I couldn't find its price right away on its website. How much does it cost?
post #9880 of 9881 Old Today, 06:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Thanks for confirming that! Now I'm leaning toward MakeMKV. I couldn't find its price right away on its website. How much does it cost?
"Free while in beta" which seems to be a permanent status. You have to reenter a key every couple of months.

Perpetual license is $50. Enter the key only once. Well worth it.

-Bill
Keenan likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #9881 of 9881 Old Today, 06:36 PM

got it. Will test it first. If it works well $50 seems to be a very reasonable price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page