Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 331 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 802Likes
post #9901 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
And you're keeping all these movies forever WHY?
Because he can. I love having a 1000 of my favorite movies on tap. I never know what I feel like watching. I just watched all 4 Lethal Weapons last week and realized how bad the new series is. Movies are a big part of my entertainment while at home. I watch very little TV due to the poor quality reality shows taking over the air waves.
ScottJ likes this.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!

Last edited by blackssr; Yesterday at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
Having trouble with the forced sub track on Captain America Civil War BR. Ripped with AnyDVD and processed with Clown_BD to movie-only BR folder structure. The second EN sub track is for the Russian lang parts, it definitely should be marked as forced, but isn't. Don't think I've ever seen forced subs like this before -- I assume the forced behavior is handled in the menu coding, which is lost when remuxing. Any ideas?
This one is a pain.

Do you need the full subs to be available? If not, it simplifies things.

With Clown, make sure the "force subs" checkbox is checked. Note, it's a three-state checkbox. The middle state only finds subs marked as forced, which won't work on this movie. Next, when you select the tracks to rip, choose only the one track you want forced.

Let me know if that doesn't work. I did it a bit more complicated way myself. This movie is a type 1, so follow the "Manual process". This movie also qualifies for the "Extremely anal" approach.
cnelson87 and blackssr like this.
post #9903 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 01:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4424 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
And you're keeping all these movies forever WHY?
Well if I don't keep them on the hard drives then I would need to go to the storage facility and pull the disc out of storage. Why the heck would I do that everytime I want to watch a title? By the time I do all that I will be in the mood to watch something else.
post #9904 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4424 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
I have to wonder why you aren't taking the bit of extra time to strip out all but movie, lossless audio and .. if needed .. subs? Just not worth the "extra" time?

Jeff
to me it isn't worth it. I just want to rip it and never touch the disc again.

Of course with the UHD BD format it's just the oppoosite. The only way I can watch them is from the disc. So I haven't watched so many physical discs since the first few years the BD format was around.
post #9905 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 01:39 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Of course with the UHD BD format it's just the oppoosite. The only way I can watch them is from the disc. So I haven't watched so many physical discs since the first few years the BD format was around.

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
(I came, I saw, I drank wine!)
post #9906 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
This one is a pain.

With Clown, make sure the "force subs" checkbox is checked. Note, it's a three-state checkbox. The middle state only finds subs marked as forced, which won't work on this movie. Next, when you select the tracks to rip, choose only the one track you want forced.

Let me know if that doesn't work. I did it a bit more complicated way myself. This movie is a type 1, so follow the "Manual process". This movie also qualifies for the "Extremely anal" approach.
I did just this the other night. All the Avengers, Kill Bill and Gran Torino required this method if memory serves me right. 99% movies with forced subs work with Clown. These select few require a little more work.
ScottJ and cnelson87 like this.

post #9907 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
As to the forced subtitle, in the worse scenario one can turn on the whole subtitle as a get by? Of course it's not an elegant approach I agree..
post #9908 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangh View Post
As to the forced subtitle, in the worse scenario one can turn on the whole subtitle as a get by? Of course it's not an elegant approach I agree..
Sometimes you don't even realize there's supposed to be forced subs. District 9, for example. You could watch a good chunk of that movie without being able to understand the aliens at all. Eventually you might figure it out.

That's the real bummer about forced subs. You could rip the movie, then weeks later you're sitting there watching it with your family and someone starts speaking Greek. Should we be able to understand this? Are there supposed to be subtitles here? You're left wondering.
mrfattbill likes this.
post #9909 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
This one is a pain.

Thanks ScottJ, that's some good info on that Dune wiki page. I like to have both the full subs and the forced subs so I'll be following the "manual process". I'll report back tonight.
post #9910 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I did just this the other night. All the Avengers, Kill Bill and Gran Torino required this method if memory serves me right. 99% movies with forced subs work with Clown. These select few require a little more work.
Oh no. I've ripped all those movies at some point and thought the forced subs were marked as forced, but now I'm not so sure. I'll definitely have to go back and double check!! Thanks for the heads up.
post #9911 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
Oh no. I've ripped all those movies at some point and thought the forced subs were marked as forced, but now I'm not so sure. I'll definitely have to go back and double check!! Thanks for the heads up.
Timestamps of first forced sub: (source: my own notes)

Avengers: 0:12:17
Kill Bill 1: 0:15:13
Kill Bill 2: 0:47:12
Gran Torino: 0:10:10
Captain America: 0:03:51
Captain America 2 (Winter Soldier): 0:07:04
Captain America 3 (Civil War): 0:01:10
aaronwt, cnelson87 and mrfattbill like this.
post #9912 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look at the big brain on Scott!

Why do they not work with ClownBD again using conventional method? I never really knew why clown ignores the flag on these titles.

Last edited by blackssr; Yesterday at 03:03 PM.
post #9913 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Ripping Blu-Rays II

DELETED. Just saw that earlier post had wiki entry for exactly what I'd discovered. Didn't want to repeat.

Last edited by hart2hart; Yesterday at 03:12 PM.
post #9914 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Why do they not work with ClownBD again using conventional method? I never really knew why clown ignores the flag.
There are multiple ways to author forced subs on a Blu-ray disc and Clown only recognizes one of those ways. Some (not sure about all) of the above movies use a separate track that is turned on via BDMV or BD-J code. Clown doesn't detect that.

A SUP file can have individual frames flagged as forced. BDMV or BD-J code can turn on a particular subtitle track, and part of that command tells the player whether to show all frames, or only those flagged as forced.

That technology leads to multiple ways to author. (1) Create one SUP track with all the subs, and a separate track with only the forced subs. Programatically turn on the 2nd one. Those subs may or may not be flagged as forced within the SUP file. (2) Create one SUP track with all subs, and a few of them flagged as forced. Programatically turn on this track, but tell the player to show only the forced ones.

Note that in either case, BDMV or BD-J code must tell the player to turn on a particular track.

Clown doesn't know which track (if any) the BDMV/BD-J code turns on. It only looks at the SUP files to see if any frames are flagged as forced. If it finds any, it assumes those subs are programatically turned on by the disc software, and it does the same in the BDMV code it generates. (Though first it extracts those forced frames into a separate track since only full-BD player software supports the forced flag within the SUP format.)

Result: Type 1 subs, if the SUP file doesn't flag each frame as forced, will not be detected by Clown (or MakeMKV, or any other automated way I know of).
cnelson87, blackssr and hart2hart like this.

Last edited by ScottJ; Yesterday at 03:20 PM.
post #9915 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart2hart View Post
DELETED. Just saw that earlier post had wiki entry for exactly what I'd discovered. Didn't want to repeat.
Hey Dude!
hart2hart likes this.

post #9916 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
There are multiple ways to author forced subs on a Blu-ray disc and Clown only recognizes one of those ways. Some (not sure about all) of the above movies use a separate track that is turned on via BDMV or BD-J code. Clown doesn't detect that.

A SUP file can have individual frames flagged as forced. BDMV or BD-J code can turn on a particular subtitle track, and part of that command tells the player whether to show all frames, or only those flagged as forced.

That technology leads to multiple ways to author. (1) Create one SUP track with all the subs, and a separate track with only the forced subs. Programatically turn on the 2nd one. Those subs may or may not be flagged as forced within the SUP file. (2) Create one SUP track with all subs, and a few of them flagged as forced. Programatically turn on this track, but tell the player to show only the forced ones.

Note that in either case, BDMV or BD-J code must tell the player to turn on a particular track.

Clown doesn't know which track (if any) the BDMV/BD-J code turns on. It only looks at the SUP files to see if any frames are flagged as forced. If it finds any, it assumes those subs are programatically turned on by the disc software, and it does the same in the BDMV code it generates. (Though first it extracts those forced frames into a separate track since only full-BD player software supports the forced flag within the SUP format.)

Result: Type 1 subs, if the SUP file doesn't flag each frame as forced, will not be detected by Clown (or MakeMKV, or any other automated way I know of).

Wish I had found this a few weeks ago. I stumbled through and found most of the same processes. Clown would not work on Avatar for me. In a couple of the StarWars movies I found multiple forced tracks and only the first one was turned on by clown and it was text about who was speaking in some kind of making of film narrative. When I ripped without them. All was good.
post #9917 of 9919 Unread Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Pure gold!!
post #9918 of 9919 Unread Today, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Nice list. Glad I grabbed all the English sub tracks. The forced one is empty (nothing at 1:10) but #3 has the proper subs in it, at least I don't have to re-rip the movie, lol.

Bill
post #9919 of 9919 Unread Today, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I am using DVDfab9 and I am having issues with the forced subs. They did not come through at all. Plus I tired the newest version of MakeMKV and that also failed. I am having an issue where the rip fails halfway through but that's a different issue. Any thoughts on what I can try with CW with the programs I have? Thanks.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread