Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 337 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1026Likes

post #10081 of 10870 Old 11-25-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
@jasonkennethrose
How about making a new thread for your tool only and link from here? With that many pages in this thread, soon nobody's gonna find it.
Kelson and hart2hart like this.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 10870 Old 11-25-2016, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I ordered a LG OLED65E6P that will be here in a few days. I use MakeMKV for my regular blurays and have no problems with Plex on Xbox One but I have also decided I wanted to digitize the few 3D blurays I have and maybe purchase a few more (Hobbit Trilogy Extended 3D, 15 total discs, $34 currently from Amazon.uk)

For the folks who are not watching physical 3D bluray disks, what exact setup are you using, both to extract the 3D stream off the disk, and the hardware used to play it back.

I realized at the last second, that while my Xbox One Fat can play physical 3D blurays, it doesn't appear to support the proper codec(s) to support the playback of 3D blurays from its Media Player App(plus who wants to get up to put a disk in, especially when some of the movies have 2 disks) so I purchased a Zidoo X9S off of Amazon since it was only $100 and highly recommended in the Kodi forums, I was also looking at the Med8ter and Dune players but they seemed somewhat expensive since I already use Plex for everything, just wanted something to stream 3D blurays from my NAS.
post #10083 of 10870 Old 11-26-2016, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ripping Blu-Rays II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandstormGT View Post
I ordered a LG OLED65E6P that will be here in a few days. I use MakeMKV for my regular blurays and have no problems with Plex on Xbox One but I have also decided I wanted to digitize the few 3D blurays I have and maybe purchase a few more (Hobbit Trilogy Extended 3D, 15 total discs, $34 currently from Amazon.uk)

For the folks who are not watching physical 3D bluray disks, what exact setup are you using, both to extract the 3D stream off the disk, and the hardware used to play it back.

I realized at the last second, that while my Xbox One Fat can play physical 3D blurays, it doesn't appear to support the proper codec(s) to support the playback of 3D blurays from its Media Player App(plus who wants to get up to put a disk in, especially when some of the movies have 2 disks) so I purchased a Zidoo X9S off of Amazon since it was only $100 and highly recommended in the Kodi forums, I was also looking at the Med8ter and Dune players but they seemed somewhat expensive since I already use Plex for everything, just wanted something to stream 3D blurays from my NAS.

I use TSMuxerGUI and AnyDVD to extract 3D movie only ISO rips (including combining two disks into single stream) and play them back using Dune Solos from Synology NAS. IMHO both 2D and 3D are excellent using this setup. Also I use MyMovies to catalog and create meta data for Dune. Dune has created their own jukebox and it is at revision 1. Looks good for early release.

I have all DVD and BD movies as movie only ISO files. All my TV series are ripped as episode MKV files using MakeMKV.

Last edited by hart2hart; 11-26-2016 at 05:00 AM.

post #10084 of 10870 Old 11-26-2016, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 824
I use makemkv to rip my 3D movies. I rip both the 2d/3D streams since they are both on the same disc. I know Kodi will ask you if you want to play the 3D or 2d version. So there is not sense ripping the separate discs.
post #10085 of 10870 Old 11-26-2016, 08:21 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
@jasonkennethrose
How about making a new thread for your tool only and link from here? With that many pages in this thread, soon nobody's gonna find it.
That is a good idea. And pls post the link here.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #10086 of 10870 Old 11-26-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
Select the correct playlist in the window with your mouse so at least 1 line is highlighted blue and click the load button. Or double click the correct playlist in the window.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxqkvlyyq9lvv0e/load.jpg?dl=0
That worked on Central Intelligence - but not this one: .
https://*******/photos/pWCcD1AbWWa4LQtx5

notice it tells me the good list - but nothing's displayed

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #10087 of 10870 Old 11-26-2016, 11:27 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
That worked on Central Intelligence - but not this one: .
https://*******/photos/pWCcD1AbWWa4LQtx5

notice it tells me the good list - but nothing's displayed
Your link is *still* broke. The forum software is not allowing you to post the domain. Either post the image itself, or give us the domain.

Last edited by pepar; 11-26-2016 at 11:30 AM.
post #10088 of 10870 Old 11-26-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Your link is *still* broke. The forum software is not allowing you to post the domain. Either post the image itself, or give us the domain.

I forget on this forum we can upload pics!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pl.PNG
Views:	89
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1790977  

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #10089 of 10870 Old 11-28-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
...For the folks who are not watching physical 3D bluray disks, what exact setup are you using, both to extract the 3D stream off the disk, and the hardware used to play it back......
I use AnyDVDHD or DVDFab Passkey to rip Bluray to PC's hard drive. I use BD Rebuilder to then make a Movie Only MKV 1920x1080 HSBS file, with intact audio. (sometimes I have used DVDFab Ripper to make a HSBS MKV file).

I use Kodi on a 1st Gen Fire TV box to play the MKV back on my Sony KDL55HX750 TV. Plex also works, but since it doesn't support DTS, I pretty much only use it with my son's Fire TV Stick.

Its the same process I use for 2D movies too.
post #10090 of 10870 Old 11-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
AnyDVDHD to ISO. I only care for the movie file, but don't care to combine multiple files into a single .m2ts when it is needed, which can be prone to error if the wrong .mpls is selected.
post #10091 of 10870 Old 11-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbromley View Post
AnyDVDHD to ISO. I only care for the movie file, but don't care to combine multiple files into a single .m2ts when it is needed, which can be prone to error if the wrong .mpls is selected.
So you would be using a software player that uses the BD's menu and operates just like the shiny disc in a physical player?

post #10092 of 10870 Old 11-30-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I make a post asking for advice on the new PC to rip blu ray and also use as Plex server. Would like to ask if anyone here can give me some suggestion

Here is the link to the post:

New PC for Plex server and to rip blu ray movies
Below is the information

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a PC so that I can use as Plex server and also rip blu ray movies. Is there a minimum CPU and memory requirement for the PC ?
I do not want to buy it then find out that it under performance for ripping that would take a long time to make a copy.
I can build one or buy one but I do not want to spend much on the PC. I have my eye on the Dell T20 since it often on sale for $270 or less.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/po...03650002014174

Here is the spec for the Dell T20

Processor
Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 3.2GHz, 8M Cache, Quad Core (84W)
Operating System
No Operating System - I can install Windows 10 or Ubuntu so this is a n problem for me
RAID
Onboard SATA, HDD connected to onboard SATA Controller - No RAID
Memory1
4GB (1x4G) 1600Mhz Single Rank x4 Data Width UDIMM Low Volt
Hard Drive
1TB 7.2K RPM SATA Entry 3.5in Cabled Hard Drive - I think this one has a few more open slots for more hard drive inside

Thank you
post #10093 of 10870 Old 11-30-2016, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
So you would be using a software player that uses the BD's menu and operates just like the shiny disc in a physical player?
I use MPC-HC and it will select the appropriate .mpls to the movie; sometimes I have to choose the right .mpls. All done in the background so I don't have to worry about going through adverts, trailers, etc. or having to click on anything.
post #10094 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyda View Post
I make a post asking for advice on the new PC to rip blu ray and also use as Plex server. Would like to ask if anyone here can give me some suggestion

Here is the link to the post:

New PC for Plex server and to rip blu ray movies
Below is the information

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a PC so that I can use as Plex server and also rip blu ray movies. Is there a minimum CPU and memory requirement for the PC ?
I do not want to buy it then find out that it under performance for ripping that would take a long time to make a copy.
I can build one or buy one but I do not want to spend much on the PC. I have my eye on the Dell T20 since it often on sale for $270 or less.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/po...03650002014174

Here is the spec for the Dell T20

Processor
Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 3.2GHz, 8M Cache, Quad Core (84W)
Operating System
No Operating System - I can install Windows 10 or Ubuntu so this is a n problem for me
RAID
Onboard SATA, HDD connected to onboard SATA Controller - No RAID
Memory1
4GB (1x4G) 1600Mhz Single Rank x4 Data Width UDIMM Low Volt
Hard Drive
1TB 7.2K RPM SATA Entry 3.5in Cabled Hard Drive - I think this one has a few more open slots for more hard drive inside

Thank you
I built an extremely small NAS with XPEnology using a Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge and 8GB of ram, motherboard that supported current processor and 6 sata ports.

During testing, I was able to stream (4)1080 movies(TV, Xbox One, Phone, Tablet) without the CPU ever going over 20%, I felt like I ripped myself off and could have spent less money and went with a Core i3. As far as Plex and transcoding goes, the only thing that would bottleneck you would be the CPU.

I would not use a Xeon processor(or any component that uses a lot of power) as most likely you will be leaving this box on 24/7 and nothing to do with plex requires anything of that scale, unless you plan on using the box for other things besides Plex but for $270, you are going to have a hard time building anything for anywhere close to that that is energy efficient.
post #10095 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
I built an extremely small NAS with XPEnology using a Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge and 8GB of ram, motherboard that supported current processor and 6 sata ports.

During testing, I was able to stream (4)1080 movies(TV, Xbox One, Phone, Tablet) without the CPU ever going over 20%, I felt like I ripped myself off and could have spent less money and went with a Core i3. As far as Plex and transcoding goes, the only thing that would bottleneck you would be the CPU.

I would not use a Xeon processor(or any component that uses a lot of power) as most likely you will be leaving this box on 24/7 and nothing to do with plex requires anything of that scale, unless you plan on using the box for other things besides Plex but for $270, you are going to have a hard time building anything for anywhere close to that that is energy efficient.
I just went with a Pentium G4400 for a unRAID server. No Plex/transcoding. No virtualization.

post #10096 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbromley View Post
I use MPC-HC and it will select the appropriate .mpls to the movie; sometimes I have to choose the right .mpls. All done in the background so I don't have to worry about going through adverts, trailers, etc. or having to click on anything.
Once you know which is the correct .mpls, you could process your whole disk ISO into movie only, lossless audio and subs, if any. Unless storage isn't a concern. Just sayin' ...

post #10097 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. Do you do any blu ray movie rip ? I would like to know how long it would take to rip one blu ray. I know it depends on the speed of the blu ray drive..
I want to use this PC for both Plex server and rip movies.

Thanks
post #10098 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:

And just to answer my own question, since I have been up and running for about a week:

My 3D Bluray ripping process:

I use BDInfo to determine the correct mpls of the main movie

I use MakeMKV backup feature to create a 1:1 Decrypted backup, it contains all files from original disc but M2TS files will be decrypted (both AACS and BD+ will be removed)

I then load tsMuxer and add the mpls of the main movie under 'Input', choose the video tracks, audio tracks and subtitles that I want and then under 'Output', choose Blu-ray ISO and start the re-muxing process, usually takes under 15 minutes.

ISO file size is usually significantly reduced after leaving out all of the stuff you don't want. If it is a regular Blu-ray, I will run it back through MKV to generate a .MKV as Plex handles MKVs fine, but refuses to write code for ISO playback, I had to buy a Android Box(Zidoo X9S) for 3D and it only works well with ISOs, 3D MKVs lack the depth of ISO's for some reason.
post #10099 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for the reply. Do you do any blu ray movie rip ? I would like to know how long it would take to rip one blu ray. I know it depends on the speed of the blu ray drive..
I want to use this PC for both Plex server and rip movies.
The ripping will be limited by the speed of the BD drive. And the speeds are NOT much different from an average reader to a hotrod. If you are processing the rips to be only main movie, lossless audio and subs, if any, then that might make you want more of a CPU. And streaming transcoded movies will impose a certain minimum on the CPU you choose.
SandstormGT likes this.

post #10100 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello,

I have a question if this process would work or there is a better process.

I just ordered Blu-ray sata drive (LG WH14NS40) to rip my blu-ray movies into an external hard drive. I will connect this hard-drive to WDTV which is connected to my receiver to project movies on my screen. What I want on my external hard drive is the movie, good audio and subtitles.

->Use MakeMKV to rip without any compression -Straight 1080p rip with AC3-DTS Core Audio (would this give all Chapters, Subtitles and All Audio Tracks)? Do I need to use any other software to clear the copy protection first?
->Load the output of the rip on the external HD which is connected to WDTV

Is that it?
Would this result in one mkv file?
Will this process/method also work for 3D Blu-ray movies?
I read somewhere on this thread that you can also use DVD-Fab with clown_DB to create one single m2ts file
Any benefit for one method over the other?
Is there a better way to save space?

thank you for your input
post #10101 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybe View Post
Hello,

I just ordered Blu-ray sata drive (LG WH14NS40) to rip my blu-ray movies into an external hard drive. I will connect this hard-drive to WDTV which is connected to my receiver to project movies on my screen. What I want on my external hard drive is the movie, good audio and subtitles.

->Use MakeMKV to rip without any compression -Straight 1080p rip with AC3-DTS Core Audio (would this give all Chapters, Subtitles and All Audio Tracks)? Do I need to use any other software to clear the copy protection first?
->Load the output of the rip on the external HD which is connected to WDTV

Is that it?
I read somewhere on this thread that you can also use DVD-Fab with clown_DB to create one single m2ts file

thank you for your input
Read my 3D Bluray process three posts above yours, what I can't answer is what file formats your WDTV likes, but tsMuxer gives you 5 different formats to output to but no MKV. The 3D Bluray ISO I output play flawlessly through my Zidoo X9S Android Box I purchased last week, on the LG OLED65E6P they look stunning.
busybe likes this.
post #10102 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 12:33 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 3083 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Quote:
Hello,

->Use MakeMKV to rip without any compression -Straight 1080p rip with AC3-DTS Core Audio (would this give all Chapters, Subtitles and All Audio Tracks)?
Yes.

Quote:
Do I need to use any other software to clear the copy protection first?
No.

Quote:
One file per title. A disc sometimes has more than one title on it.

Quote:
MakeMKV will backup 3D titles, but the question is whether your player supports the native 3D encoding in MKV. MakeMKV does not do side-by-side or top-bottom conversions, which are more commonly supported by TVs and Blu-ray players. I don't know about WDTV.

Quote:
I'd stick with MKV if it works for you.

Quote:
Without additional compression?

-Bill
busybe likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #10103 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
The ripping will be limited by the speed of the BD drive. And the speeds are NOT much different from an average reader to a hotrod. If you are processing the rips to be only main movie, lossless audio and subs, if any, then that might make you want more of a CPU. And streaming transcoded movies will impose a certain minimum on the CPU you choose.

If you are processing the rips to be only main movie, lossless audio and subs, if any, then that might make you want more of a CPU. So what is the minumum CPU you would recommend for this process. The Dell T20 has Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 3.2GHz Quad Core CPU. Also someone said to look at the HP Z800 used on ebay.

Just be clear I am not planning to do the ripping and streaming at the same time on this PC.
post #10104 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Yes.
No.
One file per title. A disc sometimes has more than one title on it.
MakeMKV will backup 3D titles, but the question is whether your player supports the native 3D encoding in MKV. MakeMKV does not do side-by-side or top-bottom conversions, which are more commonly supported by TVs and Blu-ray players. I don't know about WDTV.
I'd stick with MKV if it works for you.
Without additional compression?

-Bill
Thank you!!! Not without compression, but method wise if one method rips in less GB than other

For 3D, I will have to check if Epson can support in MKV. In menu, I have only see SBS and top-bottom..
post #10105 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Read my 3D Bluray process three posts above yours, what I can't answer is what file formats your WDTV likes, but tsMuxer gives you 5 different formats to output to but no MKV. The 3D Bluray ISO I output play flawlessly through my Zidoo X9S Android Box I purchased last week, on the LG OLED65E6P they look stunning.
Thank you for your response. I will check your post. I read somewhere that WDTV does not play/recognize ISO files..
post #10106 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
If you are processing the rips to be only main movie, lossless audio and subs, if any, then that might make you want more of a CPU. So what is the minumum CPU you would recommend for this process. The Dell T20 has Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 3.2GHz Quad Core CPU. Also someone said to look at the HP Z800 used on ebay.

Just be clear I am not planning to do the ripping and streaming at the same time on this PC.
I really don't think it matters much man, you are the one decreasing the work by only choosing one movie title, one audio track, and one subtitle track, it's not like the CPU has to do extra work because you are de-selecting those.

I use a a Core i5 from 2010 on my desktop and it takes no time at all.

I think any modern processor would be more than fine for both of your needs. The reason PLEX struggles to transcode on NAS's like Synology is because they usually have trash processors.

I would recommend using the cheapest intel desktop Core i3/Core i5 you can find, even last year's model would be fine. A motherboard that fits your specs(# of sata ports, matching CPU socket, size, etc) and (2)dual-channel 4GB or 8GB sticks of RAM for a total of 8GB or 16GB. You can use a SSD(Samsung 850 Evo) for your OS drive and use that for processing your files if you feel the need(I do, simply because I will never install another OS on a mechanical drive).

Everything else simply doesn't matter.
post #10107 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Thank you!!! Not without compression, but method wise if one method rips in less GB than other
No, without further compression these containers will contain the same data (more or less) and the sizes will be very similar.

-Bill
busybe likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #10108 of 10870 Old 12-01-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 279
If you rip the Blu-Ray and do not plan to compress the file, then the Blu-Ray drive will be the limiting factor, but you will end up with a lot of large 20+ GB movie files. Just 50 movies will fill up a one terabyte drive. I ripped all my movies and compressed them using Handbrake. Handbrake will reduce the size down to two gigabytes, albeit with a loss of detail. By choosing less compression, say five or six gigabytes, you can store 150-200 movies on a terabyte. At this size, the detail loss will be minimal.

Note that Handbrake does require a PC with a lot of horsepower. My older Intel i7/920 took over an hour to compress an average sized movie... My newer i7/6700 computer does the same in 25-30 minutes.
busybe likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #10109 of 10870 Old 12-02-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
If you rip the Blu-Ray and do not plan to compress the file, then the Blu-Ray drive will be the limiting factor, but you will end up with a lot of large 20+ GB movie files. Just 50 movies will fill up a one terabyte drive. I ripped all my movies and compressed them using Handbrake. Handbrake will reduce the size down to two gigabytes, albeit with a loss of detail. By choosing less compression, say five or six gigabytes, you can store 150-200 movies on a terabyte. At this size, the detail loss will be minimal.

Note that Handbrake does require a PC with a lot of horsepower. My older Intel i7/920 took over an hour to compress an average sized movie... My newer i7/6700 computer does the same in 25-30 minutes.
Good info! Thank you. I have a weak pc (i3) and could take hours.. I will give it a try.. 20+GB per movie is a lot of space.. wondering if Makemkv (or other softwares that does not require too much horsepower) allows you to compress with minimal loss of quality
post #10110 of 10870 Old 12-02-2016, 06:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Good info! Thank you. I have a weak pc (i3) and could take hours.. I will give it a try.. 20+GB per movie is a lot of space.. wondering if Makemkv (or other softwares that does not require too much horsepower) allows you to compress with minimal loss of quality
MakeMKV doesn't compress at all.

Compression requires heavy CPU use. There is no way around that.

-Bill
busybe likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page