Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 338 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 850Likes

post #10111 of 10125 Old Today, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
If you rip the Blu-Ray and do not plan to compress the file, then the Blu-Ray drive will be the limiting factor, but you will end up with a lot of large 20+ GB movie files. Just 50 movies will fill up a one terabyte drive. I ripped all my movies and compressed them using Handbrake. Handbrake will reduce the size down to two gigabytes, albeit with a loss of detail. By choosing less compression, say five or six gigabytes, you can store 150-200 movies on a terabyte. At this size, the detail loss will be minimal.

Note that Handbrake does require a PC with a lot of horsepower. My older Intel i7/920 took over an hour to compress an average sized movie... My newer i7/6700 computer does the same in 25-30 minutes.
Without compression, you can fit just 50 bluray's on a 1TB drive? Ok, well, 4TB drives cost $100. If you cannot afford $100 to store 200 full quality bluray discs(I can't imagine many people have much more than that) then I'd have to question how you even paid for your bluray's.

I figured since this was a Audio/Video science forum that not many people would be compressing their videos that horrendously. I would much rather take the 60 seconds to get up and insert the bluray disc into the drive and watch it full quality than spend 30 minutes re-authoring a 45GB bluray disc down to 5GB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10125 Old Today, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandstormGT View Post
I figured since this was a Audio/Video science forum that not many people would be compressing their videos that horrendously. I would much rather take the 60 seconds to get up and insert the bluray disc into the drive and watch it full quality than spend 30 minutes re-authoring a 45GB bluray disc down to 5GB.
There are many people who cannot tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray video quality. Sometimes I wish I was one of them. Life would be simpler.
SandstormGT likes this.

-Shimon
post #10113 of 10125 Old Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Compression requires heavy CPU use. There is no way around that.
If that model i3 processor supports QSV it will be plenty fast enough. He just has to use the H.264 Intel QSV codec in Handbrake.
SandstormGT likes this.
post #10114 of 10125 Old Today, 08:55 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post
There are many people who cannot tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray video quality. Sometimes I wish I was one of them. Life would be simpler.
If all of our displays were small and we sat far away, no one could tell the dif between 480i60 and 1080p24. Twelve feet from a 10' screen ... well, when I first moved to BD I had a lot of titles on DVD that weren't available on BD, so I kept them. After watching my second BD, they got tossed as I knew I would NEVER watch them.

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
(I came, I saw, I drank wine!)
post #10115 of 10125 Old Today, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
If all of our displays were small and we sat far away, no one could tell the dif between 480i60 and 1080p24. Twelve feet from a 10' screen ... well, when I first moved to BD I had a lot of titles on DVD that weren't available on BD, so I kept them. After watching my second BD, they got tossed as I knew I would NEVER watch them.
This is exactly what happened to me, I found a 48 DVD carrying case in some old boxes in the attic a few months ago, it had one of my favorite movies, Troy. I thought to myself 'I haven't watched this movie in forever, lets watch it' so I popped it into my Xbox One and about puked.

I immediately put the DVD back into the case and put the case in the Goodwill box at my house, hopefully they look good to people less fortunate.
pepar likes this.
post #10116 of 10125 Old Today, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
If you rip the Blu-Ray and do not plan to compress the file, then the Blu-Ray drive will be the limiting factor, but you will end up with a lot of large 20+ GB movie files. Just 50 movies will fill up a one terabyte drive.
Actually, the size of native BD titles varies considerably but most are >20GB. Looking at the several hundred BD titles I have stored on the 3TB drives of my server, I find that I get on average 35 full bitrate BD titles with HD audio tracks per 1TB of disk space. I don't compress. Not worth the time or effort.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10117 of 10125 Old Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 732
I don't compress either. Plus my nas has 3x 8TB drives with 16TB of usable space for a little safety. So I'm good for awhile.
post #10118 of 10125 Old Today, 01:43 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Actually, the size of native BD titles varies considerably but most are >20GB. Looking at the several hundred BD titles I have stored on the 3TB drives of my server, I find that I get on average 35 full bitrate BD titles with HD audio tracks per 1TB of disk space. I don't compress. Not worth the time or effort.
I just ripped 200 BDs of my ~350 title library. AnyDVD HD "Rip to Image" of the main movie disc. The files sizes range from ~20GB to 48BG (The Illusionist to Avatar), with the average being ~40GB. From my previous stab at a server/PCH setup, I seem to remember the average will be about 25GB once I have "Clowned" it down to main movie, lossless audio and subs, if any. Looking at this now I have to wonder what the heck is taking up ~15GB of space on the disc? Many titles have a separate disc for "extras."

"Veni, vidi, vino!"
(I came, I saw, I drank wine!)
post #10119 of 10125 Old Today, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandstormGT View Post
Without compression, you can fit just 50 bluray's on a 1TB drive? Ok, well, 4TB drives cost $100. If you cannot afford $100 to store 200 full quality bluray discs(I can't imagine many people have much more than that) then I'd have to question how you even paid for your bluray's.

I'll up you one and tell you that you can score 8TB drives for less than $175 when deals are on...
I currently have 8 of them storing my collection of ISO's. Including a dedicated one full of 3D Movies...
post #10120 of 10125 Old Today, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That is damn near my ratio as well just using a straight full disc rip...
post #10121 of 10125 Old Today, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 231
post #10122 of 10125 Old Today, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Interesting. That should mean that drives will be on the way.
post #10123 of 10125 Old Today, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
CyberLink Gets Ultra HD Blu-ray Certification For PowerDVD
Very interesting!

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-103D (waiting for the 4K 203) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #10124 of 10125 Old Today, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
CyberLink Gets Ultra HD Blu-ray Certification For PowerDVD

https://hdguru.com/cyberlink-gets-ul...-for-powerdvd/
Does that mean anything in a world where not one PC drive is AACS 2.0 capable?
post #10125 of 10125 Old Today, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Does that mean anything in a world where not one PC drive is AACS 2.0 capable?
It means when they do come out with new AACS 2.0 drives they will probably be bundled with PowerDVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page