Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 6205 Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I just set up my A-300 and have been experimenting with ripping Blu-rays and the NMJ. When I had my (so far) one ripped movie (Sucker Punch Extended Cut) as an ISO, NMJ downloaded art on the first try. I went back and deleted the ISO and ripped it to "folder structure." OK, well that resulted in a lot of .. folders .. which I copied into the Sucker Punch Extended Cut (2011) folder which is in the shared PCH folder the A-300 points to. But now I am not able to change/edit the info/art - download failed.

edit: it did download, but failed to update.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6205 Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I just set up my A-300 and have been experimenting with ripping Blu-rays and the NMJ. When I had my (so far) one ripped movie (Sucker Punch Extended Cut) as an ISO, NMJ downloaded art on the first try. I went back and deleted the ISO and ripped it to "folder structure." OK, well that resulted in a lot of .. folders .. which I copied into the Sucker Punch Extended Cut (2011) folder which is in the shared PCH folder the A-300 points to. But now I am not able to change/edit the info/art - download failed.

Jeff

NMJ stinks, don't bother

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #993 of 6205 Old 03-02-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

NMJ stinks, don't bother

I agree. Probably the worse jukebox for PCH. I had many issues with it when I used to own the A-300.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #994 of 6205 Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Wireless member

Thanks, I have a lot to sort through and sharing/networking and file format/folder structure were higher on the list than YAMJ. Guess I need to execute out of order instructions.

Damian/anybody - is there any advantage in using BD folder structure over ISO?

Jeff
post #995 of 6205 Old 03-02-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I have a lot to sort through and sharing/networking and file format/folder structure were higher on the list than YAMJ. Guess I need to execute out of order instructions.

Damian/anybody - is there any advantage in using BD folder structure over ISO?

Jeff

Depends on what type of ISO you are doing. If you are doing a full movie ISO, compared to ClownBD folder structure, you will be saving some space.

The only thing I've been doing ISO are my TV shows, but I'm probably going to change that to MKV's instead, and try to save some space.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #996 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 05:44 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Depends on what type of ISO you are doing. If you are doing a full movie ISO, compared to ClownBD folder structure, you will be saving some space.

The only thing I've been doing ISO are my TV shows, but I'm probably going to change that to MKV's instead, and try to save some space.

I was boiling the BD down to the main movie, the lossless audio and, if needed, English subtitles. I had originally planned on ISO's of that but saw some advice to go with "folder structure" so I gave that a shot. Maybe I did not do that correctly ... Clown BD's output was a boatload of folders .. which I dutifully copied into the respective movie folder located in my shared folder. Should I be pulling out some files and deleting a lot of the folders ... most of them were empty anyway. Is there a Folder Structure for Dummies Guide?

Space-wise, there wasn't much difference between (stripped down) ISO compared to the same scheme as "folder structure." Aren't we just talking about the container whether it's ISO, folders or MKV?

Thanks for any guidance!

Jeff
post #997 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was boiling the BD down to the main movie, the lossless audio and, if needed, English subtitles. I had originally planned on ISO's of that but saw some advice to go with "folder structure" so I gave that a shot. Maybe I did not do that correctly ... Clown BD's output was a boatload of folders .. which I dutifully copied into the respective movie folder located in my shared folder. Should I be pulling out some files and deleting a lot of the folders ... most of them were empty anyway. Is there a Folder Structure for Dummies Guide?

Space-wise, there wasn't much difference between (stripped down) ISO compared to the same scheme as "folder structure." Aren't we just talking about the container whether it's ISO, folders or MKV?

Thanks for any guidance!

Jeff

If you are doing folder rips don't pull anything out, keep as is.

As far as space, if you are putting into an mkv you are only doing main movie/single episode, so you save a lot of space without all the extras that come with a full disc (if you have no interest in)

Cheers,
Damian

post #998 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

If you are doing folder rips don't pull anything out, keep as is.

As far as space, if you are putting into an mkv you are only doing main movie/single episode, so you save a lot of space without all the extras that come with a full disc (if you have no interest in)

ISO, folder, MKV ... what's a boy to do?
post #999 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I am kinda...sorta...probably...and absolutely may be...liking MKV for blu-ray. I noticed that my Dune recognizes chapter with all of my SD movies that have been ripped with MKV.

I ripped the movie The Help (blu-ray) with MKV because I had issues with clowndbd, and it had chapters.

Now, I'm thinking may be I should start using MKV...I don't really care about chapters, but it is nice to have.

However, I had a 30 day trial, and I started testing it with newer movies, and apparently it wouldn't rip it due to decription issues.

So, the big question is...Is it worth spending $50.00 dollars to get the blu-ray capabilities for MakeMKV?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1000 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

My personal preferences are...

1 - ISOs

2 - MKVs

And I gave up on Folder Structures (ts/m2ts) 'Many' moons ago - too many issues with them
post #1001 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I only do .iso files as it is easy to move, recreate a disc, migrate to another format/res, open with any operating system, etc...
post #1002 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I am kinda...sorta...probably...and absolutely may be...liking MKV for blu-ray. I noticed that my Dune recognizes chapter with all of my SD movies that have been ripped with MKV.

I ripped the movie The Help (blu-ray) with MKV because I had issues with clowndbd, and it had chapters.

Now, I'm thinking may be I should start using MKV...I don't really care about chapters, but it is nice to have.

However, I had a 30 day trial, and I started testing it with newer movies, and apparently it wouldn't rip it due to decription issues.

So, the big question is...Is it worth spending $50.00 dollars to get the blu-ray capabilities for MakeMKV?

I've been ripping to MKV using the AnyDVD/ClownBD/MKVMerge workflow without issue.
post #1003 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

I've been ripping to MKV using the AnyDVD/ClownBD/MKVMerge workflow without issue.

I've never tried MKVMerge. I guess I'll give it a go and see how it works. Do you have to rip the movie with AnyDVD HD first and then use MKVMerge or can you use MKVMerge with AnyDVD HD used in the background?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1004 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've never tried MKVMerge. I guess I'll give it a go and see how it works. Do you have to rip the movie with AnyDVD HD first and then use MKVMerge or can you use MKVMerge with AnyDVD HD used in the background?

First I use AnyDVD to copy to my local drive in BD folder. This isn't a required step but it is my preference to work from HD to HD rather than DVD drive to HD. From there I use Clown BD to breakout the video and audio tracks and then MKVMerge to reassemble what I need. This process is a little bit more involved than what I prefer but it allows me to keep what I need for both my DUNE and SAGE.

DBONE has an excellent writeup for this workflow here: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...n_bd-mkvmerge/

Louis
post #1005 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

MakeMKV is free to use while in beta, and it's been in beta a long time. A new key was just posted so that will take it out a few months more. Who knows, it may never get out of beta. I have switched to MakeMKV from ripping iso's with ClownBD. Clown was taking about 3+ hours to rip, MakeMKV takes about an hour. Using mkv's has also fixed a lot of playback problems I have had with my unit, but I am sure that is streamer specific.

Mic
post #1006 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Chapters, I didn't think about that. But my one test movie did advance and back up a chapter at a time when I used the remote controls. That was an ISO.

Are chapters inconsistently enabled with ISOs?

Jeff
post #1007 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd024 View Post

My personal preferences are...

1 - ISOs

2 - MKVs

And I gave up on Folder Structures (ts/m2ts) 'Many' moons ago - too many issues with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

I only do .iso files as it is easy to move, recreate a disc, migrate to another format/res, open with any operating system, etc...

I am with you on not using folders, so it's ISO or MKV. Are chapters retained with an ISO of only the main movie, lossless and subs if needed?

If chapters work, then I'd lean to your thinking, mlknez.
post #1008 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

First I use AnyDVD to copy to my local drive in BD folder. This isn't a required step but it is my preference to work from HD to HD rather than DVD drive to HD. From there I use Clown BD to breakout the video and audio tracks and then MKVMerge to reassemble what I need. This process is a little bit more involved than what I prefer but it allows me to keep what I need for both my DUNE and SAGE.

DBONE has an excellent writeup for this workflow here: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...n_bd-mkvmerge/

Louis

Louis, for the initial step, whether copying to hard drive or doing the first step with Clown BD, isn't the limiting factor the BD read speed? I'm really asking if any time is saved, because after the initial read, the operations are HD-to-HD and I bounce the processes around so that there are always two discrete drives involved.

Jeff
post #1009 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Louis

With MakeMKV all that is just a click away. That's just too much work for MKVMerge.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1010 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post

MakeMKV is free to use while in beta, and it's been in beta a long time. A new key was just posted so that will take it out a few months more. Who knows, it may never get out of beta. I have switched to MakeMKV from ripping iso's with ClownBD. Clown was taking about 3+ hours to rip, MakeMKV takes about an hour. Using mkv's has also fixed a lot of playback problems I have had with my unit, but I am sure that is streamer specific.

Mic

Well, that would be a real buzzkill to get my library ripped to one scheme or another and find out that there is some inherent issue with it forcing me to redo the whole enchilada.

What problems were you having?

Jeff
post #1011 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mic

It depends on your computer as well. I use ClownBD and it takes me 45 min. to do 1 movies....other movies that have more stuff like Avatar took about an 1 hr. I've got a W7 PC, Quad Core AMD. My friend has a i7, and he's only takes about 30 to 45 min. per movie.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1012 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

It depends on your computer as well. I use ClownBD and it takes me 45 min. to do 1 movies....other movies that have more stuff like Avatar took about an 1 hr. I've got a W7 PC, Quad Core AMD. My friend has a i7, and he's only takes about 30 to 45 min. per movie.

Interesting. Right now I have an i7-920 2.66MHz quadcore, but sitting here next to me in a box is an i7-960 3.2GHz. I should time some rips, swap processors and run the rips again.

Jeff
post #1013 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Chapters, I didn't think about that. But my one test movie did advance and back up a chapter at a time when I used the remote controls. That was an ISO.

Are chapters inconsistently enabled with ISOs?

Jeff

YOu get full chapter support in both mkvs and folder rips. It is a simple choice somewhat:

- If you want full menus, etc... then disc rip is your only option

- If you only want the main movie without the extra fluff then folder rip or mkv is fine

Cheers,
Damian

post #1014 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Well, that would be a real buzzkill to get my library ripped to one scheme or another and find out that there is some inherent issue with it forcing me to redo the whole enchilada.

What problems were you having?

Jeff

I have a Popbox and it is having issues with iso's after the latest FW upgrade. FF/FR and forced sub issues. I just found that ripping to mkv's solved my problems, I didn't lose anything and it was dramatically faster. I do only main movie rips and I have read that mkv's are a little more consistent if you are streaming to your unit (I am not). You can always convert an mkv back to iso format if need be. I have been using MakeMKV and it has been working flawlessly for me so far.

Mic
post #1015 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I am on a macbook pro 2.66 duo core and using Windows 7 with bootcamp. I admit it is not the hottest machine out there. But the difference in speed between Clown BD and MakeMKV on the same computer is dramatic. Since I do main movie only, I really don't need iso's. Just think...you could use MakeMKV and rip a BD in about 15 min!!
post #1016 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Louis, for the initial step, whether copying to hard drive or doing the first step with Clown BD, isn't the limiting factor the BD read speed? I'm really asking if any time is saved, because after the initial read, the operations are HD-to-HD and I bounce the processes around so that there are always two discrete drives involved.

Jeff

Yes.
post #1017 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I am with you on not using folders, so it's ISO or MKV. Are chapters retained with an ISO of only the main movie, lossless and subs if needed?

If chapters work, then I'd lean to your thinking, mlknez.

I normally rip the whole disc to .iso but in some cases I rip only the main movie. In both cases, there is no issue with chapters
post #1018 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have been using Clown_BD for a while and it has been absolutely rock solid for me, ripping to Blu-ray folder rips. Even when I was doing mkv I still preferred Clown_BD + mkvmerge over MakeMKV.

FYI, just in case terminology gets a little mixed, if you are using an ISO you are doing a folder rip (the folder structure is just contained in the ISO). With an mkv you are just grabbing the specific a/v components

Cheers,
Damian

post #1019 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I have been using Clown_BD for a while and it has been absolutely rock solid for me, ripping to Blu-ray folder rips. Even when I was doing mkv I still preferred Clown_BD + mkvmerge over MakeMKV.

FYI, just in case terminology gets a little mixed, if you are using an ISO you are doing a folder rip (the folder structure is just contained in the ISO). With an mkv you are just grabbing the specific a/v components

Well, Damian, I'm a big fan of yours. So before I get too far down the road of using MakeMKV, would you tell me why you prefer Clown/MKVmerge over MakeMKV?

Mic
post #1020 of 6205 Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, Damian, I'm a big fan of yours. So before I get too far down the road of using MakeMKV, would you tell me why you prefer Clown/MKVmerge over MakeMKV?

Mic

For me there were two specific reasons:

1) mkvmerge is what I consider the standard for mkvs, which means (at least in my experience) you are least likely to encounter issues with playback from mkvs created with mkvmerge (at one point some players had issues with HD Audio tracks in MakeMKV, some issues with HD DVDs, etc...). Since I am always testing across a variety of platforms getting the best compatibility is important

2) mkvmerge allows me to be 100% with respect to forced subtitles. There were some issues with MakeMKV not setting the forced subtitle flag, or potentially dealing with subtitles that are forced but not actually flagged as forced on the disc.

Don't get me wrong, MakeMKV is a great option. I use it for my DVDs and for ripping out individual episodes for TV Shows. And I think over time MakeMKV has gotten a lot more reliable. I would suggest if you are using MakeMKV and have zero issues, there is no reason to switch. I just got used to doing it my way (Clown_BD + mkvmerge), and since I already paid for AnyDVD it would make sense to stick with if/when MakeMKV goes fully paid.

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page