Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 340 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 877Likes

post #10171 of 10177 Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
So what part of the TrueHD track (which is the only audio stream in my MKVs) does the WDTV play back?
My AVR is not ATMOS capable but is TrueHD, etc. capable.

• In the .m2ts containing a single Atmos/TrueHD/AC3 track, the Live-SMP bitstreams TrueHD to my AVR. The Live-SMP picks the highest quality the AVR can handle and the AC3 track is not available to me from the Live-SMP.
  • In the MKV containing a single Atmos/TrueHD track, the Live-SMP bitstreams TrueHD to my AVR. Again, the highest quality my AVR can handle.
  • In the MKV containing both an Atmos/TrueHD track and a separate AC3 track, the Live-SMP picks the highest quality the AVR can handle and bitstreams the TrueHD track to my AVR. Since AC3 is a separate track, a press of the audio button on the Live-SMP toggles between TrueHD and AC3.

So, as been established, if you want Atmos/TrueHD/AC3 contained in a a single track -- use .m2ts. If you want Atmos/TrueHD and AC3 in separate tracks -- MKV will do that.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 10177 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
So, as been established, if you want Atmos/TrueHD/AC3 contained in a a single track -- use .m2ts. If you want Atmos/TrueHD and AC3 in separate tracks -- MKV will do that.
I hate to be critical but I would state this differently.

If you have devices that only support AC3 you have two choices:
If you use M2TS you can store both Atmos/TrueHD and AC3 in the same track. Allowing backwards compatibility.
If you use MKV you must store them in different tracks. Possibly causing you to press a button to pick the audio.
post #10173 of 10177 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 179
"If you use M2TS you can store both Atmos/TrueHD and AC3 in the same track. Allowing backwards compatibility.'

You still have to pick the audio codec you want during playback just like if using an MKV format.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; Yesterday at 01:54 PM.
post #10174 of 10177 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
"If you use M2TS you can store both Atmos/TrueHD and AC3 in the same track. Allowing backwards compatibility.'

You still have to pick the audio codec you want during playback just like if using an MKV format.
Could you provide an example? All my devices that don't support TrueHD play the AC3 track correctly without intervention. My devices that support TrueHD, yes I have to switch streams to AC3, but why would I do that?

The whole point of the interweaved AC3 data was for backward compatibility to devices that didn't support the lossless stream. The Blu-Ray specification requires it to be present and accessed without user intervention.
post #10175 of 10177 Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
Could you provide an example? All my devices that don't support TrueHD play the AC3 track correctly without intervention. My devices that support TrueHD, yes I have to switch streams to AC3, but why would I do that?

The whole point of the interweaved AC3 data was for backward compatibility to devices that didn't support the lossless stream. The Blu-Ray specification requires it to be present and accessed without user intervention.
I guess our point is using MKV is the same because you can get just the formats you want, and select either of them. I don't know how using MKV looses backwards compatibility. My PC can't play the Atmos track, so I always rip the 5.1 along with the 7.1 so I can play it from the same MKV file. I see no advantage of M2TS over MKV.
post #10176 of 10177 Old Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 179
"All my devices that don't support TrueHD play the AC3 track correctly "

Apples and oranges.

If there's more than one audio codec that a playback device supports if the file format supports multiple audio tracks regardless of the file format for the archived video you still have to select with audio track you want to listen to.

If your playback device only supports one of the two audio codecs it doesn't "see" the non-supported codec in the first place.

Nothing about MKV or M2TS is any different in terms of how they perform during playback with multiple audio tracks. They aren't the controlling factor assuming multiple audio codecs are present and the playback device can see those codecs.

If you are connected to your PC with HDMI the PC in general has nothing to do with playing the Atmos track.

If you are connected via optical, coax, etc., you won't get HD audio no matter what. That includes Atmos. Although one of the streaming services, can't remember which, is doing a sorta Atmos thing with a DD+ audio. I'm not sure if that'll work with non-HDMI connections since its DD+. Would be surprised but it might.

If you want Atmos playback from your PC you need to be connected HDMI to a receiver that can do Atmos and using playback software that allows the pass through. Most do, like the free Media Player from DVDFab.

There's no reason a PC won't send the audio track that has Atmos to your receiver intact if it can.

Either way mkv or m2ts is not the issue.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; Today at 07:44 AM.
post #10177 of 10177 Old Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 154
There really is a difference in PQ when using the higher settings for x264 for the same given file size, but it will break gpu decoding which means you would need a decently fast CPU to decode.

Using a 10 vs 8 bit encoder will also net you better pq as far as solid colors go, as in far less banding, which in turn allows you to compress the file even more for the same given pq.

X265 should not look better than x264 unless one or both of these is true:
1) super low bitrates
2) super high (uhd) resolution

Having two streams, thd and ac3 is no more messy than having them as a single stream because most all players will default to playing the stream they are capable of playing without any intervention from the user. I'm mainly speaking of software players as I don't run hardware types though I don't see why they wouldn't have this function as well.

Finally, there is such a thing as bitrate saturation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread