Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 359 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1010Likes
post #10741 of 10770 Unread 03-15-2017, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I went to Amazon and read the reviews of purchasers there.... Symantec Anti-virus blocked the site....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 06:44 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
The last several years I have put new clients in Raid 6 Servers for use with multiple Dunes. These high point cards work well for a low cost home video server.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Windows Home Server can be had on ebay for about $ 50.00 or so. Add Zappiti/My Movies/YaDis and you have a great home distribution video server.
For my unRAID server, I chose a motherboard with six SATA ports, but the HPTs are on my radar just in case. At this time I have 5 x 3GB WD Reds (with one as parity) but aren't even close to being full.

I would be interested in hearing what thoughts you have on what software/hardware to display and stream my library of hi-res multichannel audio to my theater systems like YAMJ/Popcorn Hour does for movies. I am not the "level" of audiophile that needs jitter-free, yadda yadda yadda. Maybe PM me that. Thanks.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #10743 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I found the same. The time is quite a bit longer using Handbrake. Not really sure why. Very similar settings on Wondershare yield nearly identical picture quality in 1/4 the time. I purchased lifetime 7 years ago and have had good luck with it. I just tried handbrake again with new release and compared to Wondershare. Handbrake was 45 minutes and Wondershare was 10 minutes. My test movie was 11 Cloverfield Lane. I tested both finished MP4s on my 80" TV and could see no difference between the two. I did see a big difference between the two and the full ISO on my Dunes, but that is to be expected. On my 10" tablet and 5.5" phone they look incredible @ 1080P/23.97
I might have to give Wondershare a try. Maybe I could mux in the HD audio tracks afterwards.

BTW, when I say "a long time" with Handbrake I'm talking 10-14 hours depending on the length of the movie. I do not use the QSV (Quick Sync Video), the settings I use are to achieve high quality encodes and that makes for a long process but the end result is a file with very good video and full audio availability at around 1/3 the size.

Last edited by Ishniknork; 03-16-2017 at 09:44 AM.

post #10744 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I went to Amazon and read the reviews of purchasers there.... Symantec Anti-virus blocked the site....
I just read all those reviews on Amazon. Those users are completely clueless. Guys on this forums should see right through those user reviews. How can they not understand how to use this program. Stevie Wonder can use this program. It is that simple to use.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #10745 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
For my unRAID server, I chose a motherboard with six SATA ports, but the HPTs are on my radar just in case. At this time I have 5 x 3GB WD Reds (with one as parity) but aren't even close to being full.

I would be interested in hearing what thoughts you have on what software/hardware to display and stream my library of hi-res multichannel audio to my theater systems like YAMJ/Popcorn Hour does for movies. I am not the "level" of audiophile that needs jitter-free, yadda yadda yadda. Maybe PM me that. Thanks.

Jeff
My issue with building a RAID server is that you will be running a full PC 24x7 drawing 400-600 watts of power. Assuming a median of 500 watts, that equates to 4.4 MWatts/year. My QNAP NAS uses only 25 watts when on standby and 50 watts when in use... or about 400 kWatts/year on 50% usage... My usage is actually far less, maybe four hours/day so it would realistically be 100kWatts...

post #10746 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
My issue with building a RAID server is that you will be running a full PC 24x7 drawing 400-600 watts of power. Assuming a median of 500 watts, that equates to 4.4 MWatts/year. My QNAP NAS uses only 25 watts when on standby and 50 watts when in use... or about 400 kWatts/year on 50% usage... My usage is actually far less, maybe four hours/day so it would realistically be 100kWatts...
?? Full PC 24x7? Ha!

The CPU I chose, an Intel Pentium G4400, is a 65W TDP part that usually loafs at consuming several watts. The server OS, unRAID, spins my WD Reds down when not in use. If I watch a single movie, only the drive with the movie is spun up. I doubt that my unRAID server consumes any more than your QNAP.

post #10747 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
My server doubles as a video distribution server for my Dunes as well as a video capture for my home security cameras. It is on 24/7 and draws about 220 watts. That is the least of my electric sucking devices. Lets us talk about the AC, The Jacuzzi, or the Pool heater. They suck down the power real quick. I just had a contractor at the house discussing a full roof Solar Array with a Tesla Wall. I am waiting for the quote. I need to put a new roof on anyway so I figured now would be a good time.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!

Last edited by blackssr; 03-16-2017 at 01:53 PM.
post #10748 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1424
My Windoz PC running a quad core AMD and 7 drives of varying types rarely draws more than 180W.
post #10749 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is what i get using the Intel QSV on my PC....

side note... i tried again this morning and QSV worked for a little while... Later it bombed out again. I thought it might be CPU temperature but the temp was only 45 degrees Celsius, well within Intel's 70 degree max temp...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garbage.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	2030801  

Last edited by Jon S; 03-16-2017 at 09:14 PM.
post #10750 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 52
John Wick BD with a problem

Hi all,
I've encountered a problem with my John Wick BD DVD. When using MakeMKV to store it on my HDD there were well over 70 check boxes, each of the same size, for the movie, as well as the usual check boxes that appear on all the dvd's. The problem is no matter what files/check boxes I choose the audio, during playback, is just stuttering noise. I've tried 3 times using different files/check boxes. I uncheck the subtitles, as I always do, as well as all the audio choices except the "master" audio, DTS, etc. and DD 5.1. I've done this successfully for 30ish dvd's in the past two weeks and they all work perfectly but not this one and I just don't know why.

Any ideas or suggestions?
I ran the dvd in my player and it worked fine, audio and video, so it is not the dvd. I'm at a loss and spending time unchecking 70 boxes is a royal pain in the arse.

By the by...thanks to all of you for your posts in this forum for MakeMKV, etc. What a great way to have all your movies at your finger tips without the trailers, etc. I learned a lot and put it to good use. The Plex program and apps are also great...I have it on my tv, iphone and android tablet...my movies are at my finger tips no matter where I am...technology is awesome.

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, Rcvr: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 11v5, center/Paradigm CC-290, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/Paradigm PDR-100, DVD: Samsung BD-J5700, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #10751 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
You do know you can use the down arrow key and space bar to check/uncheck the boxes, right?

AnyDVD reports that the playlist for JW rental is 641.
You may need to post your specific disc info to get the right playlist.
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	2031345  

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
For most of the time, the here and now is neither now nor here. Graham Swift
post #10752 of 10770 Unread 03-16-2017, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

you can also right click any of the check boxes and select Uncheck all...

Are you ripping the DVD or the Blu-Ray? It appears you are ripping the DVD...Your post is not too clear on that... But why DVD if you got the Blu-Ray?

post #10753 of 10770 Unread 03-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
You do know you can use the down arrow key and space bar to check/uncheck the boxes, right?

AnyDVD reports that the playlist for JW rental is 641.
You may need to post your specific disc info to get the right playlist.
Michael
No I did not know that. I was using the mouse and click click clicking...thanks for the info.
It is not a rental. I own the BluRay DVD and am trying to add it to my HDD as I have all my other movies.

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, Rcvr: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 11v5, center/Paradigm CC-290, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/Paradigm PDR-100, DVD: Samsung BD-J5700, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #10754 of 10770 Unread 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
you can also right click any of the check boxes and select Uncheck all...

Are you ripping the DVD or the Blu-Ray? It appears you are ripping the DVD...Your post is not too clear on that... But why DVD if you got the Blu-Ray?
I did not realize I could do that...awesome...thanks.
It is the BluRay and I own it, not a rental.

Ha Ha...success...went to the MakeMKV forum and searched "John Wick". Apparently this is quite a problem with this BD movie. Fortunately some people posted file numbers that were "good". I wrote half a dozen down and chose 3 random numbers to rip...All three files work perfectly. I always got the video just fine, it was the audio that was the problem, stuttering and missing audio. Odd.
But all is good and I'll watch JW this weekend.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Kai Winters; 03-17-2017 at 05:52 PM.
post #10755 of 10770 Unread 03-17-2017, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

John Wick is one of the Lionsgate movies that uses mixed playlists... If you look at each playlist in MakeMKV, you will see that the order of the video segments are all different... When you watch the movie, the sequence of events are all mixed up except for the correct playlist... The correct playlist for my Blu-Ray was 589...

post #10756 of 10770 Unread 03-18-2017, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
John Wick is one of the Lionsgate movies that uses mixed playlists... If you look at each playlist in MakeMKV, you will see that the order of the video segments are all different... When you watch the movie, the sequence of events are all mixed up except for the correct playlist... The correct playlist for my Blu-Ray was 589...
Does this mean that when watching the movie the scenes will be jumbled?
This is the first time I've encountered this sort of thing and did not understand what I was seeing or what to do. I figured it was some sort of spoofing but that was about it.
Thanks for the info...good to know

post #10757 of 10770 Unread 03-18-2017, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
This is the first time I've encountered this sort of thing and did not understand what I was seeing or what to do. I figured it was some sort of spoofing but that was about it.
Yes... This means the scenes will not be in the proper sequence...

post #10758 of 10770 Unread 03-18-2017, 05:30 AM
Wireless member

I only recently discovered this resource and it immediately became my go to for information on the correct playlist. For titles with multiple cuts, i.e. extended, director's, etc, those are all listed as well.

NEW Unofficial Blu-ray Audio and Video Specifications Thread
aaronwt likes this.
post #10759 of 10770 Unread 03-18-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
It's called ScreenPass. The best resource for playlist ID is AnyDVD. Relying on other people to ID the playlist on your disk is dangerous because some discs have many different versions out there and the correct playlist will be different for each version.
post #10760 of 10770 Unread 03-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Wireless member

I've ripped most of of my 300 title BD library over the last few months and none of them had ScreenPass info displayed in AnyDVD HD.

post #10761 of 10770 Unread 03-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I've ripped most of of my 300 title BD library over the last few months and none of them had ScreenPass info displayed in AnyDVD HD.
You must be lucky. There are many ScreenPass titles. I agree with ScottJ, the best resource for ScreenPass playlists is AnyDVD-HD. You can find the "good playlist" on the settings screen and it will be listed in a disc.ini file that will be virtually displayed in the root of the Blu-Ray once its loaded by AnyDVD-HD. If for some reason AnyDVD-HD does not have the playlist you can simple post a log file and they will create a fix rather quickly.

I see 1-2 every couple of weeks. Depends on what studio is doing the releases.
post #10762 of 10770 Unread 03-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
I actually find it quite fun to unscramble the segment order myself for screen-pass titles. I like it when they have 300 or more fake titles. It's like doing a word or number puzzle. I use Clown_BD because the title-select window displays all the titles and their corresponding segment maps in one long scrollable list. It's easy to see the list of 10-20 movie segments to be concerned with. I'll rip the full disk to my HDD then pick my way through the movie segments using VLC to mate the end of one segment with the beginning of the next. After I map the first 6 segments I'll go searching through the list. In about half the cases, the first 6 segments are enough to uniquely identify the correct playlist. For the rest, I generally never have to map more than the first half of the segments to identify the correct playlist.

It is, without question, nerd-fun.

@Kai Winters
From my retail copy of John Wick (2014)
playlist = 589.mpls [508,501,503,511,510,516,520,518,507,512,519,513,50 9,517,515,506,514,504,502,505]
Kai Winters likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 03-18-2017 at 01:03 PM.
post #10763 of 10770 Unread 03-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It is, without question, nerd-fun.
If you say so.
ScottJ and captainbrent like this.

post #10764 of 10770 Unread 03-21-2017, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I am currently using the latest version of Handbrake and the settings are completely different from the previous versions... i am still fiddling with the settings but i can tell you that the settings can either rip a disc in 30 minutes or four hours, depending on the quality.

Currently I am using HQ 1080P30 Surround setting with following changes... I use MP4 as the end file
Under the Filters tab.... Deinterlace is Off
Under the Video tab, Encoder tune is Film; Constant quality is 21 or 22
Under the Audio tab, I set the audio bit rate to its maximum setting (usually 1536) and 5.1 or 7.1 with the AAC track
If there are any subtitles, I add them under the subtitle tab...

Using an Intel i7-6700K PC, the encode can take about 60-90 minutes....

If your client supports chapter stops, you have to use MKVToolNix GUI to enable them. This will convert the file to MKV as well...

I STRONGLY suggest you look at a six-bay NAS as a start... A four-bay NAS has a big penalty in overall cost for expansion....
I started off with four 4TB HDD in a RAID-5 array. That ended up with only 10.5TB net space from 16TBs of drives....
If you go with a six-bay NAS, you can get 18TB net space from six 4-TB drives, a jump of 7.5TB. You do not have to buy all the drives at once, you only need three drives and expand as you need them. I ran out of space and had to buy four 6-TB drives for $1000 just to get 16TB of space.... not cost effective.

You can buy a six-bay NAS for $755 but a eight-bay NAS is a "bargain" at $835. An eight bay NAS will give you 25TB net space using 4-TB HDD.

One final point, you MUST use NAS spec'd drives. Desktop drives are not designed for NAS use and fail quicker than NAS type drives. A 4TB WD Red NAS drive sells for about $145.

One thing to consider. WD RED 6TB HDD sells for $250 each. You can buy WD MyBook Duo 12TB drives (which supposed to have two 6TB Red drives inside) for $400, that would save you $50/drive...
Thank you WMCCLAIN and Jon S for the information. Sorry about the late reply, business. I have been messing around with the settings on Handbrake. My i5-3570k CPU seems a little dated now because of the time it takes to compress a movie. Thank you for recommendations based of off your experience with NAS. That is why I enjoy being a member this forum, lots of good info from individuals personal experiences that are willing to take the time to share with others. With my large collection (and growing every Tuesday like another member said), I think I will go with the larger NAS to avoide a costlier upgrade in the future.
post #10765 of 10770 Unread 03-21-2017, 10:20 AM
UHD Addict

Quoted: 5359 Post(s)
Liked: 3218
Quote:
Why do you have to run it 24/7? You only need to run it when people use it. Between 2009 and 2011, when I used a Windows Home Server, I ran it 24/7/365. But then I thought about it and realized the majority of time I didn't need to run it. So when I switched to unRAID setups, I stopped running them 24/7.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10766 of 10770 Unread 03-21-2017, 10:22 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
My server doubles as a video distribution server for my Dunes as well as a video capture for my home security cameras. It is on 24/7 and draws about 220 watts. That is the least of my electric sucking devices. Lets us talk about the AC, The Jacuzzi, or the Pool heater. They suck down the power real quick. I just had a contractor at the house discussing a full roof Solar Array with a Tesla Wall. I am waiting for the quote. I need to put a new roof on anyway so I figured now would be a good time.
I setup a separate PC, running Blue Iris 24/7/365, for my twelve cameras. It draws between 40 and 60 watts. If I had a newer system it would draw even less power.

post #10767 of 10770 Unread 03-21-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Why do you have to run it 24/7? You only need to run it when people use it. Between 2009 and 2011, when I used a Windows Home Server, I ran it 24/7/365. But then I thought about it and realized the majority of time I didn't need to run it. So when I switched to unRAID setups, I stopped running them 24/7.
Depends on each person's setup. I don't know about you, but I don't have a schedule set of when people plan on watching content off my Synology server

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #10768 of 10770 Unread 03-21-2017, 10:41 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Depends on each person's setup. I don't know about you, but I don't have a schedule set of when people plan on watching content off my Synology server
Yes. it depends on the schedule. In my situation it works not to leave it on 24/7. But a household were multiple people might be accessing the content at all hours would have no choice but to run it 24/7.

post #10769 of 10770 Unread 03-21-2017, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I usually stream videos at night, but my sons (they work nights) and wife stream during the day... They stream music as well as videos in different rooms... We are so used to the streaming from the NAS we rarely use anything else...

post #10770 of 10770 Unread Today, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 154
My only Intel 2120t runs 24/7 and it sips at the juice. Running snapraid is nice as well since only 1 disk is accessed at a time usually while the rest sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread