Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 360 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1010Likes

post #10771 of 10781 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 515
For those with non-licensed BD streamers, i.e. no menu navigation, how are you processing BD-Audio titles such as Close To The Edge? For example, I want only the multichannel songs. I'd guess I would load 01002.mpls and select the 1080p24 video and either the DTS-MA or the PCM audio.

While I have my movies as m2ts files, they have no chapters. For movies, I don't need chapters. But for albums I would like to retain the option of accessing each song. What file format is suggested? MKV?

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10772 of 10781 Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2124 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
For those with non-licensed BD streamers, i.e. no menu navigation, how are you processing BD-Audio titles such as Close To The Edge? For example, I want only the multichannel songs. I'd guess I would load 01002.mpls and select the 1080p24 video and either the DTS-MA or the PCM audio.

While I have my movies as m2ts files, they have no chapters. For movies, I don't need chapters. But for albums I would like to retain the option of accessing each song. What file format is suggested? MKV?
Yes, MKV. These are just normal BDMV discs, so find the right title playlist and include whatever audio streams you want. "BD Audio" is a misnomer, since they do actually have video as well.
post #10773 of 10781 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

MKV may be the best way to go if you want to keep the disc as a video file, but I prefer to rip discs like this to FLAC audio for several reasons:

- the video stream adds very little value since it's just static cover art
- space savings, see above
- the ability to have individual songs as discrete files for party/demo purposes, while the entire album will still play back in a completely transparent gapless manner if that's what you want to listen to
- the ability to display an artwork slideshow (I use Kodi for my primary player of both audio and video and have it configured to do that)

I rip with MakeMKV and then process that file with a neat program called AudioMuxer that gives all kinds of output options.

If you are happier having the video complete as it comes on the disc then of course that's fine too. Think about renaming the chapters to the song titles if you haven't already, most discs don't come that way in my experience.

post #10774 of 10781 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Yes, MKV. These are just normal BDMV discs, so find the right title playlist and include whatever audio streams you want. "BD Audio" is a misnomer, since they do actually have video as well.
Does the "video" display any indication of which song is playing?

post #10775 of 10781 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
Wireless member

@antisuck - at this point I have all titles ripped to ISO stored on my hard drive until I process them with whatever I decide after my research is complete.

Jeff

post #10776 of 10781 Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 143
AudioMuxer can process BD directory structures, not sure if it can read ISO files directly. If you're curious at all about the "audio only" option, let me know and I could dig out a disc, rip to ISO and report back.
post #10777 of 10781 Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM
Wireless member

I'll process Close To The Edge with my movie ripping tool remuxing the vid and audio tracks and see what it "looks" like. Then I'll know which route I want to take.

Jeff

post #10778 of 10781 Old Today, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I usually take the chapters, video, best audio, and my language subtitles (if they exist). Most discs I have show song information in the video. I like the chapters so I can move through the songs if needed and retain a complete album. You do require a MPLS to retain chapter information, so just making M2TS wont help here. So you are stuck with ISO/Blu-Ray folder or another format.

If you want M2TS files, an option you have is to use tsMuxer and cut on the chapter points creating individual M2TS's for every song. You won't need chapters for the songs but there will be nothing tying the album together.
post #10779 of 10781 Old Today, 08:23 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
I usually take the chapters, video, best audio, and my language subtitles (if they exist). Most discs I have show song information in the video. I like the chapters so I can move through the songs if needed and retain a complete album. You do require a MPLS to retain chapter information, so just making M2TS wont help here. So you are stuck with ISO/Blu-Ray folder or another format.

If you want M2TS files, an option you have is to use tsMuxer and cut on the chapter points creating individual M2TS's for every song. You won't need chapters for the songs but there will be nothing tying the album together.
The first scenario is most desirable. To retain chapter info I will have Ripper output folder structure rather than add another tool to my flow.

Thanks for the advice.

Jeff

post #10780 of 10781 Old Today, 08:48 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
I usually take the chapters, video, best audio, and ....
Probably a preference thing, but out of MCH 96KHz PCM and MCH 48KHz DTS-MA, which do you consider the best? I finally went with the DTS as it is lossless ...

post #10781 of 10781 Old Today, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Probably a preference thing, but out of MCH 96KHz PCM and MCH 48KHz DTS-MA, which do you consider the best? I finally went with the DTS as it is lossless ...

Theoretically there should be zero difference in the actual audio. If you extract the DTS-MA it should be bit identical to the PCM. The only difference is the file size and if you care about your device showing DTS-MA when playing. DTS-MA is smaller but uses lossless compression, PCM is large but untouched.

My preference is PCM > DTS MA/TrueHD > DTS/AC3. But I also use the amount of channels in my decision. I won't use 2.1/0 PCM if there is DTS MA 7.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page