Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 361 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2260Likes

post #10801 of 11006 Old 04-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Anybody using JRiver? Popcorn Hour has been great for movies, but doesn't cut it for a large music library. PM me.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 11006 Old 04-13-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Further update on using Handbrake and enabling H.264 Intel QSV encoding... Apparently the issue I am having (where the video turns to garbage every few seconds) is disc specific. I can encode the movie Lion with no issues trying multiple times. But when i try to encode Hidden Figures, it fails every time.

I like the fact that using QSV reduces encoding times a lot... For example, encoding the movie Passengers can be done in 20-30 minutes, but using the built-in H.264 encoder in Handbrake will take about 150 minutes in the Super HQ mode.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #10803 of 11006 Old 04-14-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Further update on using Handbrake and enabling H.264 Intel QSV encoding... Apparently the issue I am having (where the video turns to garbage every few seconds) is disc specific. I can encode the movie Lion with no issues trying multiple times. But when i try to encode Hidden Figures, it fails every time.

I like the fact that using QSV reduces encoding times a lot... For example, encoding the movie Passengers can be done in 20-30 minutes, but using the built-in H.264 encoder in Handbrake will take about 150 minutes in the Super HQ mode.
The files are already ripped and not being converted directly from the disc correct?

Bill

post #10804 of 11006 Old 04-14-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post
The files are already ripped and not being converted directly from the disc correct?

Bill
Yes...

post #10805 of 11006 Old 04-15-2017, 06:15 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Yes...
Your processor is not maxed out? Your data bus isn't saturated? Check the bitrate of the passage that encodes correctly and the one they fails.

post #10806 of 11006 Old 04-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ripping Blu-Rays II

I've had a couple of movies out of 500ish (one of them is a version of Good Will Hunting) that I've ripped as movie only to iso file using eac3to and tsmuxer via Blu-Ray Ripper and Clown_Bd with a playback issue. They just stop playing on a Dune Solo player at consistent spots in the movie.

I am ripping again now using only tsmuxer and will try both CloneBD and MakeMKV to see results.

Has anyone else seen this and / or know what causes it?

Last edited by hart2hart; 04-15-2017 at 10:59 AM.
post #10807 of 11006 Old 04-15-2017, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart2hart View Post
I've had a couple of movies out of 500ish (one of them is a version of Good Will Hunting) that I've ripped as movie only to iso file using eac3to and tsmuxer via Blu-Ray Ripper and Clown_Bd with a playback issue. They just stop playing on a Dune Solo player at consistent spots in the movie.

I am ripping again now using only tsmuxer and will try both CloneBD and MakeMKV to see results.

Has anyone else seen this and / or know what causes it?
I don't have Good Will Hunting but if you have any other example discs that I do have I will be more than willing to test. I do know that in 0.098 version of Blu-Ray Ripper there was a change to the tsMuxer commands to fix corruption of H264 video with SEI and VIU data. If you are still having issues after that version I would have to see a disc that showed the issue.

You can try tsMuxerGUI and use the option "Do not change SEI and VUI data" on Good Will Hunting to see if it fixes your issue.
post #10808 of 11006 Old 04-15-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Your processor is not maxed out? Your data bus isn't saturated? Check the bitrate of the passage that encodes correctly and the one they fails.
The problem I am getting is that the video is okay for two seconds and flashes into garbage for two seconds and this keeps on repeating throughout the video. it's not a bit rate issue... Rogue One is 36GB and Hidden Figures is about 29GB in size. Both movies run a bit over two hours. Rogue One has no issues using QSV but Hidden Figures crashes all the time, whether I use H.264 or H.265 Intel QSV Encoding...

post #10809 of 11006 Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
The problem I am getting is that the video is okay for two seconds and flashes into garbage for two seconds and this keeps on repeating throughout the video. it's not a bit rate issue... Rogue One is 36GB and Hidden Figures is about 29GB in size. Both movies run a bit over two hours. Rogue One has no issues using QSV but Hidden Figures crashes all the time, whether I use H.264 or H.265 Intel QSV Encoding...

Curious, do you get the same outcome if you encode without qsv enabled?
post #10810 of 11006 Old 04-21-2017, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Ripping directly to NAS?

I set the temp storage and the output destination on DVDfab to the workstation pc. DVDfab seems to rip as native bd folder in the temp folder first, then it converts to ISO and sends it to the output destination. When it is complete (usually 30 min or so) I copy and paste the ISO to the shared folder on the NAS. I'd like to eliminate this 2-stage process and rip directly to the shard NAS folder but it takes forever. If I set the output destination to the NAS shared folder in DVDfab it takes hours. Does anyone know why?

What do you guys do?
post #10811 of 11006 Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
I set the temp storage and the output destination on DVDfab to the workstation pc. DVDfab seems to rip as native bd folder in the temp folder first, then it converts to ISO and sends it to the output destination. When it is complete (usually 30 min or so) I copy and paste the ISO to the shared folder on the NAS. I'd like to eliminate this 2-stage process and rip directly to the shard NAS folder but it takes forever. If I set the output destination to the NAS shared folder in DVDfab it takes hours. Does anyone know why?

What do you guys do?
I copy from the disc straight to a NAS using AnyDVD-HD to decrypt on the fly and Blu-Ray Ripper to take just the main movie. Depending on the length and how the disc was authored it can take from 15 to 30 minutes a movie. Works every time.
post #10812 of 11006 Old 04-21-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does Anydvd store in a temp folder on the workstation first? I will try again. I was using a freenas build but now I have switched over to a Netgear NAS, maybe things will be different. Though I suspect this might be a dvdfab thing.
post #10813 of 11006 Old 04-21-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Curious, do you get the same outcome if you encode without qsv enabled?
nope... works fine with the built-in encoder. It's only QSV and it is title specific... Hidden Figures will crash 100% of the time. Passengers will crash 50% of the time... Rogue One will work 100% of the time... So it's a crap shoot when i buy and rip a new title...

post #10814 of 11006 Old 04-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Does Anydvd store in a temp folder on the workstation first? I will try again. I was using a freenas build but now I have switched over to a Netgear NAS, maybe things will be different. Though I suspect this might be a dvdfab thing.
AnyDVD-HD decrypts disc's. It does this on the fly (as you read/copy information). It can also rip directly to ISO or folder structure. It does not require a temp folder you can rip from disc to a save location in ISO or folder format.

If you are looking to process the disc in any way (movie only) you just need AnyDVD-HD running while your program accesses the information.
post #10815 of 11006 Old 04-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I have a DVD Audio (David Tipper - Surrounded) which has a 24 bit/96Khz (MLP format). What software should I use to rip this DVD-Audio?
Makemkv cannot extract the MLP format. I don't know what else to use.
post #10816 of 11006 Old 04-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Running RAID on your NAS? What level/scheme?
post #10817 of 11006 Old 04-21-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
I have a DVD Audio (David Tipper - Surrounded) which has a 24 bit/96Khz (MLP format). What software should I use to rip this DVD-Audio?
Makemkv cannot extract the MLP format. I don't know what else to use.
2 choices:
1) Rip the individual tracks as wav or FLAC files. This requires software such as "DVDAExplorer" or "DVD Audio Extractor"
2) Rip an ISO of the disc, which can ONLY be done using DVDFab DVD Copy module in "clone" mode. The ISO can only be used to create another disc, since no media player boxes support DVD-A. (The ISO can be played with an Oppo BDP-93 that has ISO support firmware)
post #10818 of 11006 Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
2 choices:
1) Rip the individual tracks as wav or FLAC files. This requires software such as "DVDAExplorer" or "DVD Audio Extractor"
2) Rip an ISO of the disc, which can ONLY be done using DVDFab DVD Copy module in "clone" mode. The ISO can only be used to create another disc, since no media player boxes support DVD-A. (The ISO can be played with an Oppo BDP-93 that has ISO support firmware)
I have both. In my experience there are some titles on which one will work and not the other, and then other titles vice versa. One requires a license.

Jeff

post #10819 of 11006 Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Running RAID on your NAS? What level/scheme?
Yes, raid5
post #10820 of 11006 Old 04-22-2017, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been playing around with Handbrake... Encoding in Super HQ mode takes a loooonnnnng time...

I encoded Avatar in Super HQ mode... Even with my Intel i7-6700K 4.00 GHz CPU, the encode took five hours to complete.

But the quality of the file is noticeably more detailed than when encoding in the fast mode (which takes 45-60 minutes)... I use quality of 23 on the compression. The end file came out 7.6GB in size.... Encoding Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow with the same settings came out to three hours and the file was under three GB in size....

post #10821 of 11006 Old 04-23-2017, 05:06 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Yes, raid5
From your post I take it that moving a completed ISO to the NAS takes less time than outputting the ISO being generated by the ripping operation as it is being created?

post #10822 of 11006 Old 04-23-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, raid5
From your post I take it that moving a completed ISO to the NAS takes less time than outputting the ISO being generated by the ripping operation as it is being created?
You are correct
post #10823 of 11006 Old 05-04-2017, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

FYI, I think some of the Hidden Figures disks have a manufacturing defect. MakeMKV gives me a read error every time and I've tried everything to fix it. I tried multiple ways of ripping/copying/backing up/cleaning the disc and it always fails a little past half way through the file. Only thing you can do is replace the disc and hope you get a good one. I have not tried a different disc yet though.

As far as QSV goes I've never used it but have read that it can have/create some problems. I stick with Handbrake custom settings.

Last edited by Ishniknork; 05-04-2017 at 06:59 PM.
post #10824 of 11006 Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
FYI, I think some of the Hidden Figures disks have a manufacturing defect.
I have seen that on about a dozen disks in the last couple years. I will try to rip the full disk in MakeMKV and it will repeatedly fail in the same spot each time. I have 2 different LG BD writer models and sometimes it will rip all the way in one but repeatedly fail in the other. Visual inspection shows the pristine surface of a new disk with no visible marks, scratches or pits. My solution has been to exchange the disk as defective and get a new one. Usually the new one rips fine but there have been a couple disks where I've had to do more than 1 exchange.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10825 of 11006 Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Wireless member

Out of my recently ripped 300 title library, I had 3 that wouldn't rip no way, no how. Their replacements ripped on the first tries. Odd, as I had already watched the "defective" discs, one of them several times, without noticing anything.

post #10826 of 11006 Old 05-04-2017, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting... I have yet to encounter a disk that MakeMKV could not convert except for some new ones that required a software update. My Hidden Figures went through with no issues... What were the titles that you could not convert?

post #10827 of 11006 Old 05-05-2017, 06:39 AM

I've ripped 1000's of Blu-Rays and only had one disc that gave me issues. Gran Torino from the Clint Eastwood 20-Film Collection would fail in random locations. I contacted Amazon and they sent me a whole new Clint Eastwood 20-Film Collection for free. The new disc ripped fine and I got to give away a bunch of extra discs. The disc looked fine but it was a cardboard insert case (not a fan). I'm not blaming the case for sure but I don't like sliding disc's into cardboard. I would rather suspend in plastic.

I don't use MakeMKV but usually its not the software's fault as long as it can properly decrypt the information. Normally its the disc or the drive.
post #10828 of 11006 Old 05-05-2017, 07:35 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Interesting... I have yet to encounter a disk that MakeMKV could not convert except for some new ones that required a software update. My Hidden Figures went through with no issues... What were the titles that you could not convert?
Stargate Extended Cut, Shutter Island and Iron Man 3. To be clear, it's not that I couldn't convert them, none of my three drives could read them through to the end. I even looked at the playlist on Iron Man 3 and tried to extract only the needed streams, but it all went south on the main m2ts.

post #10829 of 11006 Old 05-05-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have Stargate Extended Cut and Iron Man 3... I had no issues with these titles...

post #10830 of 11006 Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
I have Stargate Extended Cut and Iron Man 3... I had no issues with these titles...
AS I posted, it was defective discs, not defective authoring. The replacements ripped just fine.
Ishniknork likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page