Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 363 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1027Likes

post #10861 of 10872 Old 06-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 544
MakeMKV handle 3D BD's?

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10862 of 10872 Old 06-11-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
MakeMKV handle 3D BD's?

I did a quick Google search and the answer is yes.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
post #10863 of 10872 Old 06-12-2017, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What would be the smallest quality for Blueray?

What would the smallest quality for Blu-ray rips from media u own, while still maintain that same Blue-ray quality...? I know it depends on the footage, and allot of other factors, but at an average ? eg... I'm know more is better, so really i'm looking for a starting point... a.k.a anything lower than a set limit is not worth it, for example.. I know 720p can be 1 to 2 Gig's but since i'm encoding from Blue-ray, i'm gonna be using MKV.

post #10864 of 10872 Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH198 View Post
What would the smallest quality for Blu-ray rips from media u own, while still maintain that same Blue-ray quality...? I know it depends on the footage, and allot of other factors, but at an average ? eg... I'm know more is better, so really i'm looking for a starting point... a.k.a anything lower than a set limit is not worth it, for example.. I know 720p can be 1 to 2 Gig's but since i'm encoding from Blue-ray, i'm gonna be using MKV.
Any re-compression of a BluRay source will degrade the image from the original -- that is simply a fact of lossy compression algorithms. The question is whether or not YOU can see and/or tolerate the degradation. The answer to that question depends entirely on the size and quality of your display equipment, your viewing distance and angle, viewing area environment, and the state of your eyesight. Any answer someone else gives you will be based on their circumstances, not yours. So, only you can adequately answer your own question by lengthy trial and error. Keep in mind that all movies do not respond to a given set of compression settings in the same way. Also, should you upgrade any of your equipment in the future, you may find that all your compressed BD's now look like crap.

This is why many feel that BD re-compression for home theater use is a waste of time, given how cheap HDD storage has become.
lockdown571 and techflaws like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 06-12-2017 at 05:35 AM.
post #10865 of 10872 Old 06-14-2017, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

Here are some tips I can give you:

Go with a crf based encoding scheme vs size/bitrate.

Encode a portion of a Movies frames so as not to spend hours waiting just to find out you want to change some settings.

Test out the portions of a movie that has more static frames vs fast moving frames as the frames with movement are easier to compress which will lead you to think that a) file size will be smaller and b) transparency will be easier to achieve. You will want to use complex static scenes vs simple solid color ones like anime.

Skip x265 unless you are trying to compress to very small file sizes and/or you are trying to work on very high (uhd+) resolution sources and would like to keep that resolution.

Most of x264's switches have more to do with squeezing out ever last bit of compression at the cost of way more encoding time. Very few switches actually have to do with pq. A good example of this is the "fast p-skip" function.

Last but not least, you have to decide whether you will want these files to be compatible with stand alone devices or not. If so, you have to adhere to strict encoding methods which results in lower pq than encoding for software players imo.
post #10866 of 10872 Old 06-15-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Handbrake has many presets. I start with the H.265 1080p30. And then the only thing I change is the video tab. Video codec is h.265. Framerate is same as source with variable framerate checked. Encoder preset at medium. Encoder tune: none, encoder profile: auto
Constant quality I have at 18 for the stuff I care about. I'll change it to 20 or even 22 for DVD's or animation. Sometimes comedies. But mostly it stays at 18.

Set the destination wherever you want it saved and what you want it saved as. I save mine in the drive I rip to. Upon completion I make sure all is well with the file before deleting the original and moving it over to my movie storage.

On the audio tab I leave codec as auto passthru. This just takes the HD audio track I rip in makemkv and adds it to the final MKV untouched.

Next is the subtitles tab. I have makemkv rip english forced subtitles ONLY. If there is one you'll see it here. If there isn't one then you won't see it here. If it does show up then I check burn in. It becomes part of the image and you don't have to deal with compatibility issues with subtitle files.

I save all that as my default so I don't have to set it up every time.

There's a ton of other settings you can tweak but I find these result in a file that is identical to the original. I compare frame by frame on a color turned 34" monitor and I watch the files on a 145" 1080p projector as well as a 65" OLED. I can also compare streams on my nvidia shield tv to my oppo 203(streaming on both) or compare disc playback on the oppo to my nvidia shield and just flip between inputs. I did a lot of work to come up with settings that I feel are perfect.
Medi0gre likes this.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
post #10867 of 10872 Old 06-16-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I save mine in the drive I rip to.
It would be faster if you write to a drive different from the one you're reading from.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
post #10868 of 10872 Old 06-16-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
It would be faster if you write to a drive different from the one you're reading from.

Michael

I'm not ripping and encoding simultaneously. Plus the encode process is so slow that speed is unaffected by using the same drive and I have tested. I batch queue the encodes and run them overnight. So it's a non issue.

post #10869 of 10872 Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 157
@archer75

There's no point in comparing frame by frame as you don't watch movies this way. You don't need to look any further than frame comparison of fast movement areas to see that an encoded file will look worse, but when you play it at normal speed you will see that the pq should be very good due to the natural blurring that goes on in these types of scenes.
post #10870 of 10872 Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
@archer75

There's no point in comparing frame by frame as you don't watch movies this way. You don't need to look any further than frame comparison of fast movement areas to see that an encoded file will look worse, but when you play it at normal speed you will see that the pq should be very good due to the natural blurring that goes on in these types of scenes.

I also do frame comparison in fast action scenes. And I can load up the disc in my oppo and start the movie in my media player and then toggle the inputs on my receiver to compare the disc to my encode while playing.
Both are looking the same to me on my settings.

post #10871 of 10872 Old 06-24-2017, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A way to see bluray rip's file/playlist names?

The thing about ripping blurays, is that the file names are usually don't make sense, using numbers like 0001, 0002 etc.

Are there any software out there that let's you properly browse the rip so that you actually know which videos files are the extras/deleted scenes etc and the movie itself and not a trailer or the start screen?
post #10872 of 10872 Old 06-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronium View Post
The thing about ripping blurays, is that the file names are usually don't make sense, using numbers like 0001, 0002 etc.

Are there any software out there that let's you properly browse the rip so that you actually know which videos files are the extras/deleted scenes etc and the movie itself and not a trailer or the start screen?
To identify the movie you should be looking at the MPLS files (playlist) not the M2TS files (movie segments) You can use programs like BDInfo to analyze your Blu-Ray disc. Just look for the MPLS (playlist) that results in the longest playtime.

Thing that can hinder you identifying correct playlists:

Playlist Obfuscation - Many MPLS (playlist) with the same length made of the same M2TS (movie segments) but in random order. These MPLS (playlist) can be correctly identified by AnyDVD-HD.

Theatrical / Extended Cut / Director's Cut - 2 or more MPLS (playlist) with different times made of one base set of M2TS (movie segments) and other M2TS (movie segments) interweaved for different cuts. These can be correctly identified by reading the box the movie came in for the correct play times or check websites like IMDB.

Playlists for different languages (Disney) - 2 or more MPLS (playlist) with different sets of M2TS (movie segments) that have scenes with different languages (presents, présenter, presenta). These can be identified by watching the different M2TS (movie segments). Usually 800 or 850 for English.

Last edited by jasonkennethrose; 06-25-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page