Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 364 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2243Likes

post #10891 of 10912 Old 08-09-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post
Illegal?
I'm not asking about ripping rentals. Redbox also sells discs at the kiosk. I wasn't sure if they were just getting rid of old rental discs or if they were new retail versions.
Sammy2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 10912 Old 08-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyauditor View Post
After ripped to my NAS via Make MKV, I am not able to play back through XBox One (Synology media server). Do I need to perform extra steps during ripping or need to convert to mkv? Any app that can make the file easily readable via Xbox One?
Howdy, @nyauditor --

Start with https://handbrake.fr/ -- it will convert the BDMV rip from MakeMKV into a .mp4 file, and it has preset tunings available specifically for both the Xbox 360 and XBOne.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #10893 of 10912 Old 08-10-2017, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswiger View Post
Howdy, @nyauditor --

Start with https://handbrake.fr/ -- it will convert the BDMV rip from MakeMKV into a .mp4 file, and it has preset tunings available specifically for both the Xbox 360 and XBOne.

Thank you.

post #10894 of 10912 Old 08-10-2017, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyauditor View Post
After ripped to my NAS via Make MKV, I am not able to play back through XBox One (Synology media server). Do I need to perform extra steps during ripping or need to convert to mkv? Any app that can make the file easily readable via Xbox One?
Alternately from changing to MP4 you can use Emby Server which will transcode on the fly to whatever device you are playing the content on. If the device supports full 1:1 HD or even 4K then you get that. If it doesn't, you still get to view it on your xbone. You need some decent specs under the hood of the machine running the Emby Server to do the on the fly transcoding though. My Devil's Canyon Haswell i5 does quite well with this task and will also do WMC and extenders all at the same time.

post #10895 of 10912 Old 08-14-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Ok, I'm driving myself crazy trying to remember the magic google phrase I used, but when I began researching ripping my collection a couple weeks back, I came across a db style list, either here or elsewhere, that was basically a compilation of which titles from a given disc contained the actual movie. Now that I have my NAS set up and have started the great ripping project, I can't for the life of me find that list again. Anyone familiar with it?

So far I've done pretty well, but have hit a few snags, most recently Deathly Hallows part 1. There are 4 "long" titles on the disc, 2 pairs of identical lengths. I'm guessing the longer ones are the maximum movie mode thing they did but I can't figure out which of the shorter two would be the right choice, or what the difference is between them. Google has been uncooperative in this particular quest.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #10896 of 10912 Old 08-16-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
Ok, I'm driving myself crazy trying to remember the magic google phrase I used, but when I began researching ripping my collection a couple weeks back, I came across a db style list, either here or elsewhere, that was basically a compilation of which titles from a given disc contained the actual movie. Now that I have my NAS set up and have started the great ripping project, I can't for the life of me find that list again. Anyone familiar with it?

So far I've done pretty well, but have hit a few snags, most recently Deathly Hallows part 1. There are 4 "long" titles on the disc, 2 pairs of identical lengths. I'm guessing the longer ones are the maximum movie mode thing they did but I can't figure out which of the shorter two would be the right choice, or what the difference is between them. Google has been uncooperative in this particular quest.
If you're using ANYDVDHD see if the correct playlist appears when you open the program.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #10897 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
If you're using ANYDVDHD see if the correct playlist appears when you open the program.
Makemkv in this case, though I ended up guessing right in terms of the movie in question. However, I still can't find the list I had stumbled across before that showed which title/playlist had what content. I'd swear it was on AVS, but no amount of pleading with Google will produce that particular search result again.

post #10898 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
Ok, I'm driving myself crazy trying to remember the magic google phrase I used, but when I began researching ripping my collection a couple weeks back, I came across a db style list, either here or elsewhere, that was basically a compilation of which titles from a given disc contained the actual movie.
Was it this?
post #10899 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I"m rusty b/c I had a virtual machine with all my ripping tools, and I lost it (drive issue).

I had AnyDVD (Slysoft ver) HD, so I am trialing that again. I downloaded the MakeMKV demo and it seems like MakeMKV is complaining about AnyDVD... Maybe I'm not doing this right.

Before I had an old script that made calls to various apps and it was slick, but I can't seem to track that down. In the end I had a bunch of m2ts files, which Plex doesn't like anyways. Any suggestions to workflow, or point me in a direction?

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S
post #10900 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 11:39 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
I"m rusty b/c I had a virtual machine with all my ripping tools, and I lost it (drive issue).

I had AnyDVD (Slysoft ver) HD, so I am trialing that again. I downloaded the MakeMKV demo and it seems like MakeMKV is complaining about AnyDVD... Maybe I'm not doing this right.

Before I had an old script that made calls to various apps and it was slick, but I can't seem to track that down. In the end I had a bunch of m2ts files, which Plex doesn't like anyways. Any suggestions to workflow, or point me in a direction?
MakeMKV doesn't require AnyDVD to be present; I think the complaint is just a warning.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #10901 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So what do people use AnyDVD with these days?

post #10902 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
I don't understand the question. AnyDVD (HD) is used for ripping discs. You don't use it "with" anything.

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
post #10903 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
MakeMKV doesn't require AnyDVD to be present; I think the complaint is just a warning.

-Bill
That pops up but I've always ignored it and never had any negative effects with any rips I've done.
post #10904 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgieroo View Post
Was it this?
No, I kept coming across that in my repeat searching. It was similar, but rather than specs, it had playlist/title info on it. So for X Blu Ray Title 1, MPLS 800,801 contained English Theatrical Release, Title 3 MPLS 802 had Directors cut, and so on. I'm seriously beginning to think I hallucinated it at this point. If not, we need one. Would make life easy for the weird discs, or the Disney style where they use a separate title for Spanish version or the like (Force Awakens and Rogue One).

post #10905 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I found this guide on how to do it, if that helps you at all.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...ain-movie-rip/
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #10906 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Handbrake has many presets. I start with the H.265 1080p30. And then the only thing I change is the video tab. Video codec is h.265. Framerate is same as source with variable framerate checked. Encoder preset at medium. Encoder tune: none, encoder profile: auto
Constant quality I have at 18 for the stuff I care about. I'll change it to 20 or even 22 for DVD's or animation. Sometimes comedies. But mostly it stays at 18.

Set the destination wherever you want it saved and what you want it saved as. I save mine in the drive I rip to. Upon completion I make sure all is well with the file before deleting the original and moving it over to my movie storage.

On the audio tab I leave codec as auto passthru. This just takes the HD audio track I rip in makemkv and adds it to the final MKV untouched.

Next is the subtitles tab. I have makemkv rip english forced subtitles ONLY. If there is one you'll see it here. If there isn't one then you won't see it here. If it does show up then I check burn in. It becomes part of the image and you don't have to deal with compatibility issues with subtitle files.

I save all that as my default so I don't have to set it up every time.

There's a ton of other settings you can tweak but I find these result in a file that is identical to the original. I compare frame by frame on a color turned 34" monitor and I watch the files on a 145" 1080p projector as well as a 65" OLED. I can also compare streams on my nvidia shield tv to my oppo 203(streaming on both) or compare disc playback on the oppo to my nvidia shield and just flip between inputs. I did a lot of work to come up with settings that I feel are perfect.
Hi I realize every disk will be different but what would your average rip come out to in GB's with these settings ?
post #10907 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post
Hi I realize every disk will be different but what would your average rip come out to in GB's with these settings ?
5-10GB. Retaining the HD audio track.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
post #10908 of 10912 Old 08-17-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
I don't understand the question. AnyDVD (HD) is used for ripping discs. You don't use it "with" anything.

Michael
I guess what I'm remembering is adjunct software that I used with AnyDVD to redo that audio tracks, so I retained very specific audio tracks/formats.

post #10909 of 10912 Old 08-18-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
I guess what I'm remembering is adjunct software that I used with AnyDVD to redo that audio tracks, so I retained very specific audio tracks/formats.
Maybe ClownBD?

Bill
RaggedEdge likes this.
post #10910 of 10912 Old 08-18-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As mentioned in the guide linked above (10905).
Michael

post #10911 of 10912 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn't use ClownBD but using that as a search parameter with my username, I found my old workflow on another forum circa 2009. Thanks for helping me with my thought process. I'm sure my old workflow is obsolete, but it helps me to get a fresh start with current tools.

Quote:
ToNMT really simplifies the workflow if you don't mind using windows. This is true for Blu-ray and HD DVD.

I let Anydvd HD scan and decrypt the disk. I then use ToNMT to create my single *.m2ts file with only the video and audio I want, plus subtitles (and chapter markers for HD DVD). I've done over 100 Blu-ray and HD DVDs this way flawlessly.

I don't bother to rip the video and then run it thru ToNMT so that saves a step. Also, I have the preferences in ToNMT set to always ensure SD audio and I convert to AC3 5.1.

From there you can do what you wish with Handbrake.

Edit: With HD DVDs, always work from the TrueHD audio stream when it's available (vs. the E-AC3). It's much quicker... unless you desire to pass the E-AC3 stream straight through unmodified...

post #10912 of 10912 Old Today, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
I'm sure my old workflow is obsolete, but it helps me to get a fresh start with current tools.
If an old BD ripping workflow is familiar and still works for you, there is no pressing need to change it. I am using exactly the same workflow for ripping BD's that I established after ripping my first half dozen over 7 years ago.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page