post #121 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

I do full isos with image burn and anydvd running in the background. my last three disc were 24 minutes 26 minutes and 28 minutes so my math is a little off...

Why use Image burn when ANYDVD HD can do full ISOs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have the HP EX490. That has four drives in it. Then I have seven Mediasonic 4 bay enclosures. One on eSATA and six on USB. They are smaller since they don't have an internal power supply. Plus they will power up and down with the WHS.

For my unRAID I used five SansDigital eSATA enclosures(four 4 bay, one 5 bay). They are larger since they have internal power supplies. I used a smart power strip so they would turn on and off with the server.

How does the smart power strip work? Does it know when the server goes to sleep? My electric bill is pushing $ 550.00 / month now. ;-(.
post #123 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Why use Image burn when ANYDVD HD can do full ISOs?

IMG burn has a buffer plus a more visual interface. I know I'll use it when ripping two or three titles concurrently from my desktop PC. I'm not even sure if you can rip mulitple titles concurently using just ANY DVD HD. For me when ever I use just ANY DVD HD from my PC it's with just one drive, or when I use the My Movies collection management from my PC I can only do it with one drive.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #124 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

How does the smart power strip work? Does it know when the server goes to sleep? My electric bill is pushing $ 550.00 / month now. ;-(.

It works based on the current draw. When it falls below a certain threshold, it cuts power to the outlets that are controlled by the master outlet.
The first power strip I tried was the Belkin. Which did not work for me since the PC in standby/off drew around 4.5 watts and would not shut off power. So I tried one that was adjustable so you could set the turn off point.
So as soon as the power draw goes above that point, the slave outlets are supplied power and my enclosures power up. And when it drops below power is cut. It does delay it by a few seconds before turning on or turning off power to the slave outlets.

The Power Strip I use was the Smart Strip LCG3. They also have one with few outlets. But since there is a manual adjustment they seem like the best option.
I've become more energy conscious the last few years since electricity prices have gone up so much. So I don't leave my computer equipment running 24/7 like I used to.

Although in the Winter I do leave them running more and run the heating system less. It actually costs me less money in the winter this way.

LED DLP

post #125 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I don't quite know how you guys are getting such fast reads of BDs. Using MKV and an LG 8X BD drive that I loaded the riplock firmware onto, I normally need about 45 minutes to rip a BD to MKV using a quad core i7 machine.
post #126 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I don't quite know how you guys are getting such fast reads of BDs. Using MKV and an LG 8X BD drive that I loaded the riplock firmware onto, I normally need about 45 minutes to rip a BD to MKV using a quad core i7 machine.

I guess there are always other factors (i.e. are you ripping directly to a network drive, speed of drive being ripped to, etc...)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #127 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
anybody ripped a movie that is split across two BDs? I have this with the ten commandments. I could just rip two files but was thinking of merging them or seeing if I could get Zappiti to recognize two...
post #128 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

anybody ripped a movie that is split across two BDs? I have this with the ten commandments. I could just rip two files but was thinking of merging them or seeing if I could get Zappiti to recognize two...

We can't help you with this until we know what commandments are on each disc

Cheers,
Damian

post #129 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

We can't help you with this until we know what commandments are on each disc

The same as on the stone tablets, silly.
post #130 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I guess there are always other factors (i.e. are you ripping directly to a network drive, speed of drive being ripped to, etc...)

Speed should be the same whether a local drive or a networked drive. Assuming the networked drive can handle the speed and it's on a gigabit network.

I know if I rip three discs concurrently to my unRAID server(cache drive) IMG burn will fill the buffer and it will take longer. but if I only rip two to my unRAID they will rip at the same speed(buffer will be occassionaly used but won't fill up) as a local drive or when only ripping one disc.

My WHS can't come close to the speeds I get with my unRAID using the cache drive. But with my WHS I just need to stick the disc in and do nothing else except to remove the disc when it's finished ripping.

LED DLP

post #131 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I rip directly to my server from my main gaming machine. If you rip to different drives/locations it speeds things up quite a bit. I use different drives in my gaming machine. Example: 2TB "E" drive is for workspace, while 2TB "F" drive is for output and Image Burn creates ISO directly to Raid Server over network. So for me it involves 3 separate drives in addition to the BD drive. This is the fastest way in my setup. I can do about 2 rips/per hour, on average, using Clown_BD and AnyDVDHD.
post #132 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once ripped, you can connect the 2 mt2s files with Tsmuxer I believe.
post #133 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Speed should be the same whether a local drive or a networked drive. Assuming the networked drive can handle the speed and it's on a gigabit network.

Yeah, it depends on the type of drives at each end. It is much faster for me to rip to my drive on my PC then to rip directly to my WHS (and part of the reason for this is because my PC is set up as RAID 0 w/ 7200rpm drives vs the 5400rpm drives in my WHS). I prefer to check my rips before I copy them over, so this setup works best for me

Cheers,
Damian

post #134 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It works based on the current draw. When it falls below a certain threshold, it cuts power to the outlets that are controlled by the master outlet.
The first power strip I tried was the Belkin. Which did not work for me since the PC in standby/off drew around 4.5 watts and would not shut off power. So I tried one that was adjustable so you could set the turn off point.
So as soon as the power draw goes above that point, the slave outlets are supplied power and my enclosures power up. And when it drops below power is cut. It does delay it by a few seconds before turning on or turning off power to the slave outlets.

The Power Strip I use was the Smart Strip LCG3. They also have one with few outlets. But since there is a manual adjustment they seem like the best option.
I've become more energy conscious the last few years since electricity prices have gone up so much. So I don't leave my computer equipment running 24/7 like I used to.

Although in the Winter I do leave them running more and run the heating system less. It actually costs me less money in the winter this way.

It sounds good but I would be afraid that my Raid 5 would drop out if Server came on before the External Enclosures. How long before everything comes back on line?
post #135 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It sounds good but I would be afraid that my Raid 5 would drop out if Server came on before the External Enclosures. How long before everything comes back on line?

WIth my WHS(which is in standby) and the Mediasonic enclosures it takes a few minutes until it's ready to use.

For my unRAID it goes through the bootup process which is also a few minutes until the networked shares are accessible.

For my WHS I have a schedule set for it to come on and go into standby. With my unRAID I have been manually turning it on and off for now. I'm not really sure yet what my options are with the unRAID to setup a schedule for it to power up and down. Once I start transferring some of my BD ISOs to the unRAID I'll need to check out those options.

LED DLP

post #136 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

For my WHS I have a schedule set for it to come on and go into standby. With my unRAID I have been manually turning it on and off for now. I'm not really sure yet what my options are with the unRAID to setup a schedule for it to power up and down. Once I start transferring some of my BD ISOs to the unRAID I'll need to check out those options.

A couple of options that I'm aware of.
Startup/shutdown script

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5622.0

and S3 Sleep and WOL
http://lime-technology.com/wiki/inde...ke_on_Lan_(WOL)
post #137 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know if I rip three discs concurrently to my unRAID server(cache drive) IMG burn will fill the buffer and it will take longer. but if I only rip two to my unRAID they will rip at the same speed(buffer will be occassionaly used but won't fill up) as a local drive or when only ripping one disc.

My WHS can't come close to the speeds I get with my unRAID using the cache drive. But with my WHS I just need to stick the disc in and do nothing else except to remove the disc when it's finished ripping.

Smallnetbuilder has a NAS chart which shows that every NAS has a different thoroughput. A lot of them, especially some older models don't do anything close to what I could do on my PC.

Plus, I think it depends on what software you are using. ImgBRN seems faster to me than AnyDVD. And MakeMKV is very fast also.
post #138 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once ripped, you can connect the 2 mt2s files with Txmuxer I believe.

And then could I make it into an ISO or MKV?
post #139 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And then could I make it into an ISO or MKV?

Yes, the m2ts you create with tSMuxeR you can then run through clown_bd. Only downside is you lose chapters (unless somehow tsMuxer can somehow merge those as well)

Cheers,
Damian

post #140 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, the m2ts you create with tSMuxeR you can then run through clown_bd. Only downside is you lose chapters (unless somehow tsMuxer can somehow merge those as well)

What is the consequence of losing chapters? And with the Dune, is there any point to changing the m2ts to an MKV or ISO?
post #141 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When ripping ISOs, any video or audio quality difference between an HD-DVD or BD? If not, I'm thinking I just found a good reason to keep my HD-DVDs.
post #142 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

When ripping ISOs, any video or audio quality difference between an HD-DVD or BD? If not, I'm thinking I just found a good reason to keep my HD-DVDs.

No IMO. I've bought several HD DVD's off eBay super cheap and then ripped them as ISO's.
post #143 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

You open or add the playlist files in TSMUXER, not the .m2ts -- the playlist file contains the chapter points. Then you also set output to BD folder structure. That will retain the original chapter points.

The alternative is to use TSMUXER built chapter points that are every 5 min. I actually prefer that.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #144 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You open or add the playlist files in TSMUXER, not the .m2ts -- the playlist file contains the chapter points. Then you also set output to BD folder structure. That will retain the original chapter points.

The alternative is to use TSMUXER built chapter points that are every 5 min. I actually prefer that.

What exactly is the point of the different chapter points? And how does having one every five minutes help from a practical stand point (obviously I don't use chapters).
post #145 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

What exactly is the point of the different chapter points? And how does having one every five minutes help from a practical stand point (obviously I don't use chapters).

Chapter points are useful to skip into a title to pick up where you left off if your player can't remember where it left off. Chapter points in a commercial DVD or BD have always seemed arbitrary to me. They could be close together or far apart and I usually don't see a reason they stuck one where it is. So a set of evenly spaced chapter points with a reasonable interval seems to me to be preferable because I know exactly how many button pushes it will take to get me where I want to go.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #146 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Chapter points are useful to skip into a title to pick up where you left off if your player can't remember where it left off. Chapter points in a commercial DVD or BD have always seemed arbitrary to me. They could be close together or far apart and I usually don't see a reason they stuck one where it is. So a set of evenly spaced chapter points with a reasonable interval seems to me to be preferable because I know exactly how many button pushes it will take to get me where I want to go.

The Blu-Rays have this scene pop-up menu for the chapters. When you use Clown_bd it gets rid of that I think. How do you access the chapters then? just hit the skip button?
post #147 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Blu-Rays have this scene pop-up menu for the chapters. When you use Clown_bd it gets rid of that I think. How do you access the chapters then? just hit the skip button?

Yes.. Just hit chapter skip on remote.
post #148 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a question related to BD ripping that someone in this thread might know the answer to.

I have some TV series on Blu-ray (Dexter, Heroes, etc) that have decent PQ but I wouldn't mind saving some storage space by compressing them.

If I rip them all to MKV is there a way to compress the video down from 1080P to 720P with a lower bitrate and keep it in the MKV container?

I can convert it quickly with handbrake, but it is repackaged as an M4V and I'm not sure that format is compatible with all of my stuff.

Thanks.
post #149 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a question related to BD ripping that someone in this thread might know the answer to.

I have some TV series on Blu-ray (Dexter, Heroes, etc) that have decent PQ but I wouldn't mind saving some storage space by compressing them.

If I rip them all to MKV is there a way to compress the video down from 1080P to 720P with a lower bitrate and keep it in the MKV container?

I can convert it quickly with handbrake, but it is repackaged as an M4V and I'm not sure that format is compatible with all of my stuff.

Thanks.

You don't have to use M4V with handbrake. Change the format in Handbrake to MKV. That's how I'm presently encoding some old stuff on DVD.
post #150 of 6231 Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You don't have to use M4V with handbrake. Change the format in Handbrake to MKV. That's how I'm presently encoding some old stuff on DVD.

Ah, cool. I will have to check this out. I must have missed it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page