post #151 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 02:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I have a question related to BD ripping that someone in this thread might know the answer to.

I have some TV series on Blu-ray (Dexter, Heroes, etc) that have decent PQ but I wouldn't mind saving some storage space by compressing them.

If I rip them all to MKV is there a way to compress the video down from 1080P to 720P with a lower bitrate and keep it in the MKV container?

I can convert it quickly with handbrake, but it is repackaged as an M4V and I'm not sure that format is compatible with all of my stuff.

Thanks.

For BluRay TV Shows I use Ripbot264. I grabbed a few episodes of some popular HD TV Shows that get encoded down to 720p to see if I could mimic with my collection (it seems the same profile is used by these "encoders" for all HD Shows) and I am now pretty much spot on. With Ripbot264 I use the 3.1 profile (only change is I change the profile to High and add CABAC), change the resolution to 1280 x 720, set CQ to 22, and in about an hour on my PC I have a great looking 720p mkv (50 minute show comes out to about 1.3-1.4GB)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

For BluRay TV Shows I use Ripbot264. I grabbed a few episodes of some popular HD TV Shows that get encoded down to 720p to see if I could mimic with my collection (it seems the same profile is used by these "encoders" for all HD Shows) and I am now pretty much spot on. With Ripbot264 I use the 3.1 profile (only change is I change the profile to High and add CABAC), change the resolution to 1280 x 720, set CQ to 22, and in about an hour on my PC I have a great looking 720p mkv (50 minute show comes out to about 1.3-1.4GB)

Thanks, I will give it a go.
post #153 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, I will give it a go.

Let me know if you have any questions, I can shoot you a screenshot of the settings I chose in Ripbot. I just did this for my Supernatural Season 1 BluRays and PQ still looks great (6-7GB per episode lossless versus 1.2GB encoded). Really tough to justify keeping lossless in this case since Supernatural has 126 episodes currently which would amount to nearly 1TB just for one TV show (versus 151GB encoded).

Cheers,
Damian

post #154 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Ah, cool. I will have to check this out. I must have missed it.
I was just reminded by Dbone that a good reason to kep M4V is to have it compatible with mobile devices such as the IPad, etc.
post #155 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
For BluRay TV Shows I use Ripbot264.
I took a quick look at ripbot264 and see that it uses the same helper applications that do the actual work (AVISynth, ffdshow, haali, etc.) as BD_Rebuilder. So how would you compare the two. Is it mostly interface differences.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #156 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Let me know if you have any questions, I can shoot you a screenshot of the settings I chose in Ripbot. I just did this for my Supernatural Season 1 BluRays and PQ still looks great (6-7GB per episode lossless versus 1.2GB encoded). Really tough to justify keeping lossless in this case since Supernatural has 126 episodes currently which would amount to nearly 1TB just for one TV show (versus 151GB encoded).
This is my thought process as well. For my DVD TV episode rips I just keep them at original quality since the quality is already marginal on a large TV.

For the HD ones though the sizes and number of episodes begin to become a problem and compression is a lot easier than buying another $500 of hard disks.

If you do choose to show a screenshot of your ripbot settings, you could always just add it to this thread since it is relevant.

Also, I could just use MakeMKV to just extract each episode and then run it through handbrake I suppose, but I think I will give Ripbot a whirl.
post #157 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post
I was just reminded by Dbone that a good reason to kep M4V is to have it compatible with mobile devices such as the IPad, etc.
The problem with the i-devices is that they are super picky about resolution, etc. For example, I made M4V files for my iPad of a few movies and tried to put them on my wife's 3GS iPhone but it would not work because the 3GS iPhone can't do the same resolution for H.264 as the iPad and iPhone 4.

Hopefully down the road XBMC on the iPad, etc, will make this less of a problem.
post #158 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I took a quick look at ripbot264 and see that it uses the same helper applications that do the actual work (AVISynth, ffdshow, haali, etc.) as BD_Rebuilder. So how would you compare the two. Is it mostly interface differences.
Honestly never used BD Rebuilder. The one thing it appears BD Rebuilder does that Ripbot does not do is the option to keep in a BluRay structure format. With Ripbot you can encode only to mkv or mp4. I do have on my list to check out Rebuilder though

Cheers,
Damian

post #159 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The one thing it appears BD Rebuilder does that Ripbot does not do is the option to keep in a BluRay structure format. With Ripbot you can encode only to mkv or mp4.
OK, thanks, that's a big help. The BluRay \\BDMV folder structure is a big one for me, that's all I use. This info saves me the time of looking at Ripbot.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #160 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I almost gave up on this but found this thread.

I have paid for Any DVD in the past.
It never worked for me.
Conntacted them several times.
Never got it to work.

I tried trail version of DVD Fab and it was working.

What I am wondering is if the DVD Fab Decripter is all I need?
It says it is always free.

Flles are going on external HD.

Have treid using just decripter and it does not work.

What can you tell me?

Not sure whay I can not just decript and transfer files to where ever I want them to go.

Most appreciated.

Mr. Panda
post #161 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If it works, then yes. Do they decrypt Blu-Ray? DVD decryption is pretty easy. I think DVD43 or something like that will do it.
post #162 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 PM

THank you.

I can not transfer files to HD.

Will now look up DVD 43.

I am wondering if I need another part of DVD Fab?

Most apprecaited,

Mr. Panda
post #163 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Panda View Post

THank you.

Will now look up DVD 43.

Most apprecaited,

Mr. Panda

Ok,

I just looked up DVD 43 an it does say anything about Blue Ray compatability.

Am using Win. seven.

Not sure if is compatble with this?

Thank you.

Mr. Panda
post #164 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

THank you.

Will now look up DVD 43.

Most apprecaited,

Mr. Panda

I don't understand what you are trying to do with DVD Fab. DVD Fab has many separately licensed modules depending on what you want to do.

Are you trying to rip DVD or BD or both?
Do you want to rip the full disk or just the main title?
Do you want to rip to native folders/files or .iso or some other format?
Do you want to compress to a smaller size or leave it as full bitrate?

The free version of DVD Fab is HD Decrypter. It does both BD and DVD. It will only rip full disk or main title to a folder structure. It won't do compression and all the other advanced features (i.e. disk splitting) won't work. It won't get updates for new protections for several months after they are released to the paying customers.

- kelson h

post #165 of 6366 Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM

I have DVD's properely taken care of.

All I am trying to do is decrypt BR an move it to HD.

Yes I want to rip full disk including sub titles.

I am using a Dune 3.0.

No compression is needed.
I really do not have any issues paying for a more complete version but do not think I need it in my case.
I paid for Any DVD and it never worked properely.

Most appreciated,

Mr. Panda
post #166 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:

I would be interested.

I received my Lite-On iHBS112 drive and installed it in the same computer as my LG WH10LS30 (unlocked) to do some rip-speed tests with MakeMKV v1.68. My results are quite different than those found by Pieter

http://blog.insanegenius.com/2011/04...ollection.html

and I am not sure about the reason for the discrepancy. I did rips of the main movie, HD audio, and forced subtitles for several blu-rays, and one DVD:

Code:
MKV size    Rip Time (min:sec)
(GB)        WH10LS30   iHBS112
------------------------------
 4.26        7:16       5:45 
16.7        15:30      17:40
25.2        16:27      18:13
25.9        19:49      22:05
30.0        23:08      26:55
44.8        30:15      38:08
As you can see, the DVD was faster on the iHBS112, but all the blu-rays were faster on the unlocked WH10LS30. Pieter found that the fastest blu-ray rips were with a Sony 5300S (rebranded iHBS112) and Lite-On iHBS212.

Also, the average rip speed for blu-rays on my unlocked WH10LS30 was 144, 204, 174, 173, and 197 Mbps (AVG: 178 Mbps). And for the iHBS112: 126, 184, 156, 149, and 157 Mbps (AVG: 154 Mbps). As compared to Pieter's 139 Mbps for the Sony 5300S and 126 Mbps for the unlocked LG BH12LS35. So the slowest speed of the 5 blu-rays I ripped on my WH10LS30 (144 Mbps) was faster than the fastest of all the drives that Pieter tried (139 Mbps). Thus, my measurements disagree with Pieter's both in absolute terms (mine are mostly faster) and in relative terms (I found the unlocked LG drive to be faster than the Lite-On).

I also ran Nero DiscSpeed on the iHBS112 and unlocked WH10LS30:

post #167 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:

I have DVD's properely taken care of.

I am using a Dune 3.0.

I really do not have any issues paying for a more complete version but do not think I need it in my case.
I paid for Any DVD and it never worked properely.

Most appreciated,

Mr. Panda

I use Any DVD HD to rip my BDs. Out of 750+ BD rips I've only had an issue with three or four of them.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #168 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am using a Dune 3.0.

I use DVD Fab to do full disk rips of my BluRays to my HDD then process them further from there. The free version of DVD Fab will easily do full disk rips. It will rip a full disk to your HDD and put it in the folder structure. Although DVD Fab has the capability of generating an .iso of the rip, I believe the free version doesn't provide that capability. If you want .iso then you just use the free ImgBurn to convert the folder structure into an .iso.

The main issue you will have with free DVD Fab is that you may not be able to rip the very newest titles -- especially if they are Sony -- because those updates are not enabled in the free version for several months after they are made available to the paying customers.

Another issue with DVD Fab is that it requires an Internet connection. They have adopted a model where decryption information for specific titles is held on their servers. DVD Fab running on your PC needs to be able to contact those servers and download the information it needs.

- kelson h

post #169 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik71 View Post

I received my Lite-On iHBS112 drive and installed it in the same computer as my LG WH10LS30 (unlocked) to do some rip-speed tests with MakeMKV v1.68. My results are quite different than those found by Pieter

Thanks erik.

- kelson h

post #170 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:

I use DVD Fab to do full disk rips of my BluRays to my HDD then process them further from there. The free version of DVD Fab will easily do full disk rips. It will rip a full disk to your HDD and put it in the folder structure. Although DVD Fab has the capability of generating an .iso of the rip, I believe the free version doesn't provide that capability. If you want .iso then you just use the free ImgBurn to convert the folder structure into an .iso.

The main issue you will have with free DVD Fab is that you may not be able to rip the very newest titles -- especially if they are Sony -- because those updates are not enabled in the free version for several months after they are made available to the paying customers.

Another issue with DVD Fab is that it requires an Internet connection. They have adopted a model where decryption information for specific titles is held on their servers. DVD Fab running on your PC needs to be able to contact those servers and download the information it needs.

The same is true for Any DVD Hd. For newer titles it downloads an update specific to that title. And all those little updates will be in the next version when it is released.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #171 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The same is true for Any DVD Hd. For newer titles it downloads an update specific to that title. And all those little updates will be in the next version when it is released.

I wonder if the OP had an Internet connection when he couldn't get AnyDVD to work.

- kelson h

post #172 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Recently started ripping my HDDVD collection.
I am just keeping the main video & 1 audio on most.
With Makemkv it takes about 45min, with Clown/MKVmerge its taking 2 hours.

Why would there be such a big time difference?
I dont see any difference in quality.
post #173 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wonder if the OP had an Internet connection when he couldn't get AnyDVD to work.

I thought ANyDVD only needed an internet connection if an update is needed. I run AnyDVD on my LapTop and have used it successfully without an internet connection. Only time it wont work without a connection is if the disc you are trying to play requires an update

Cheers,
Damian

post #174 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeMan View Post

It could possibly be because Clown_BD is decoding the E-AC3 track to LPCM?

Cheers,
Damian

post #175 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 AM

Just a quick thank you to everyone who has been so helpful to me.

Have not had time to fully read your replys.
Will do so later when I have some more time.

I used Any DVD full version with a computer.
Yes I had the internet working.
Emailed them couple of times.
Still never was able to get it to work properely.

I am thinking DVD Fab is the way to go.

I have no internet connection on my Dune.
All I am using it for is to play back media stored in external or internal HD.

Dune has been able to play every type of file I can throw at it.

Most appreciated,

Mr. Panda
post #176 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Most appreciated,

Mr. Panda
One thing I just thought of,

For some reason I had difficultie downloading the decrypter only.
It kept trying to down load full version.
which had expired since trial was over.

Maybe you could tell me how to down load the free Decrypter only?

Thank you
post #177 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeMan View Post

I ripped about 50 HD DVDs to BD ISOs using Clown_BD and AnyDVD HD. It took about 30 minutes or less. This was 18 months ago.
post #178 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Most appreciated,

Mr. Panda
What exactly was not working with regards to AnyDVD HD? It is the best out there. Please be more specific.
post #179 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One thing I just thought of,

For some reason I had difficultie downloading the decrypter only.
It kept trying to down load full version.
which had expired since trial was over.

Maybe you could tell me how to down load the free Decrypter only?

Thank you
There is no separate file for the free HD Decrypter. You download and install the full DVD Fab product. When the 30 day trial runs out, it disables the extra features in DVD Copy and BD copy and leaves you with the HD Decrypter. You will see that features like split-disk and the ability to compress a BD-50 to BD-25 or DVD-9,5 are no longer active once the trial period runs out. What is left is the free ability to rip a full disk or a title to your HDD.

- kelson h

post #180 of 6366 Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Thank you again!

I have not used Any DVD in quite some time.
Was so frustrated with it.
But it seems as though some people really like it.
As far as I can remember I could not get the file to move to HD.
It is a bit difficult for me to understand because it is so simple.
Runs in backround.
Am used to something that does not run in backround such as DVD Decrypter.

I have heard of people using DVD Fab and it works perfectly for them.
For some reason for me it is easier to use than Any DVD.
But have to get it working again.
Am going to go back and look at my replies from Sly Soft just to see if I missed anything.

But for now,

going to try re installing DVD Fab again and se if I can get it to work.
Never needed to Make an Iso file using Decrypt so I thought I could just move the file to HD using Fab and Dune could read it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page