post #181 of 6716 Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

Anyways, I've setup my NAS and Dune Media Player so now I can share my own experience.

The consensus from the first thread was that I should rip my BR's to an ISO file. So that's what I decided to do.

1.) AnyDVD HD - I ran ANYDVD Ripper to rip an ISO and it came out the same as IMGBRN (did not remove the previews, even though that box was checked). It was 42GB in size. And it took longer than IMGBRN.

2.) IMGBRN - Great program. Free. Works with ease. You simply tell the program where to burn your file and then hit one button. Very easy interface and it works quickly. Did I mention it is free? Unfortunately, budget and space prevented me from simply using this program. It burns a 1 to 1 image from your BD, meaning you get all the previews, the ability to choose scene, extra features, etc. This takes up about 40-50 GBs per average BD. That's a measly 25 movies per TB. How many of us can afford 8TB solutions? Yeah, thought the number was low.

3.) Clown_BD - This program requires you to download the other programs with it, including the aforementioned IMGBRN. The program takes forever and a day and sometimes stalls. I've found it best to rip the movies with this program directly to my PC and then to transfer to my NAS. Good news, is this is also free. It also strips out the previews, FBI warning, extra features, etc. This means your movie plays much faster from your content streamer (from start) and cuts down the size by as much as 70%. For example, I ran Disney's Bambi through IMGBRN. It generated an ISO of approximately 43GB. I ran it through Clown_BD and it generated an ISO of only 13GB. That's pretty big savings. You can find out how to use it thanks to dbone1026 dbone's clown_bd user guide.

4.) I haven't yet ripped my box sets. But I think I have it figured out. BD box sets can be ripped into individual episodes using Clown_BD above. Otherwise, you need to use some other software. I'm using handbrake (which nows supports BD). Again, thanks to dbone1026 who wrote a guide. Dbone's guide to ripping box sets

5.) Handbrake - free software. It will rip movies into MKV. It's also useful for converting your ISO files to something compatible with your Iphone/Ipad. It's pretty easy to use as well.

6.) MakeMKV - It is similar to handbrake. It's free. However, I find Handbrake has more options and runs a little faster. That's my opinion, others really like it. I suggest you check both out for yourself and see which you like better.

7.) If you rip to ISO, just know now that your PC software such as Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 11 will not read them unless you "mount" them first. I use SlySoft's VirtualCloneDrive for this. It's free and work's great. You simply right click on the file and "mount" it. BTW, if you don't know what it means to "mount" your file it basically means to trick your PC into thinking that it has another media drive. Then your software will read it like it reads an actual BD. You'll see what I mean when you rip your ISO and try to play it.

8.) After ripping the ISOs and getting them onto my NAS, I'm using Zappiti as my video jukebox on my Dune. It's pretty awesome, but you need to have a Dune player.

Anyways, I hope these threads will be useful to others.

thanks for your observations here. I'm now confused on which ripping product to use? I would rather not implement three or four applications, I prefer to use one product- maybe AnyDVD HD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6716 Old 05-26-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

thanks for your observations here. I'm now confused on which ripping product to use? I would rather not implement three or four applications, I prefer to use one product- maybe AnyDVD HD?

What is your goal? What type of content are you ripping and do you want full disc (i.e. menus, trailers, etc...)?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #183 of 6716 Old 05-26-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

What is your goal? What type of content are you ripping and do you want full disc (i.e. menus, trailers, etc...)?

I own approx 100 BD titles, maybe 100-plus SD-DVD titles. Also own approx 1000 RedBook CD's.

I'm still in-process setting-up and confuguring a simple NAS using two WD (2TB) MyBookLive external drives. Currently I'm using drive No. 1 as primary back-up for my PC(s) data, also for (ripped) CD music archive (17GB WinMedia).

I plan to set-up and configure drive No. 2 primarily as a dedicated BD and SD-DVD (ripped) archive.

I'd like to use one ripping software application if possible, we'll see. There are certain titles I would prefer to capture all components (ie. menu's, special features, etc.,...) .

The otherside of all this is backing-up these archives?
post #184 of 6716 Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Panda View Post

I have heard of people using DVD Fab and it works perfectly for them.
For some reason for me it is easier to use than Any DVD.
But have to get it working again.

But for now,

going to try re installing DVD Fab again and se if I can get it to work.

Do not try to run DVD Fab if you have AnyDVD installed. There is a conflict and the two decrypters will fight each other. Uninstall AnyDVD first, then install DVD Fab.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #185 of 6716 Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 771
You can just disable the auto start for Any DVD HD so it won't start on boot up. DVD Fab will then run fine. The few discs I did have an issue with I used DVD Fab to rip just the movie file and I just closed Any DVD HD and it worked fine.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #186 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You can just disable the auto start for Any DVD HD so it won't start on boot up. DVD Fab will then run fine. The few discs I did have an issue with I used DVD Fab to rip just the movie file and I just closed Any DVD HD and it worked fine.

this is exactly why I want to just load one BD/DVD ripper software package. You end up (potentially) hacking things with multiple applications
post #187 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all

With regards to the following:

1.) AnyDVD HD - I ran ANYDVD Ripper to rip an ISO and it came out the same as IMGBRN (did not remove the previews, even though that box was checked). It was 42GB in size. And it took longer than IMGBRN.

AnyDVD HD does not actually remove the Previews etc. from the Image but instead tries to alter the Playlist file so that the Previews are not shown when the Movie is played back.

This will ofcourse mean that the Image is the same size as a Full Rip.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
post #188 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I own approx 100 BD titles, maybe 100-plus SD-DVD titles. Also own approx 1000 RedBook CD's.

I'm still in-process setting-up and confuguring a simple NAS using two WD (2TB) MyBookLive external drives. Currently I'm using drive No. 1 as primary back-up for my PC(s) data, also for (ripped) CD music archive (17GB WinMedia).

I plan to set-up and configure drive No. 2 primarily as a dedicated BD and SD-DVD (ripped) archive.

I'd like to use one ripping software application if possible, we'll see. There are certain titles I would prefer to capture all components (ie. menu's, special features, etc.,...) .

The otherside of all this is backing-up these archives?

Well, here are your choices:

(1) DVDFab - Will allow you to rip BluRays and DVDs, keeping in a disc structure. You can opt to rip the full disc or just the main movie. Check site for pricing

(2) MakeMKV - Will allow you to rip the main movie (in mkv format) for DVDs and BluRays. It will also allow you to rip the full disc in folder structure (only confirmed this with BluRay). Currently free while in beta

(3) AnyDVD - Will allow you to rip the full disc of a BluRay or DVD. There are many free tools you can use alongside (such as my favoritye Clown_BD which I use when I want to rip just the main movie). Check site for pricing

Cheers,
Damian

post #189 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Just a little feedback on RipBot.

*what* *a* *dog's* *breakfast* that thing is. Sheesh.

It is distributed in 7z format, so you have to install 7zip on the computer you want to unpack it on (I am always leery of applications that are distributed in uncommon compression formats, it is usually a sign that the developer of the package is a tool).

Then, after you download and install the huge package you discover that there are another several application dependencies so it will not work unless you are willing to risk barbecuing your Windows codec configurations by installing Hali and a bunch of other stuff.

No freaking thanks!

I just ended up ripping the episodes to MKV with MakeMKV and then using Handbrake to re-encode them into smaller files (720P video with DD 5.1).

I'm sure the quality is not as good as it could be, and this does mean I lose subtitles, but it also means I don't lose my sanity by having to install a ton of garbage on the machine I do my encoding with.
post #190 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Just a little feedback on RipBot.

*what* *a* *dog's* *breakfast* that thing is. Sheesh.

It is distributed in 7z format, so you have to install 7zip on the computer you want to unpack it on (I am always leery of applications that are distributed in uncommon compression formats, it is usually a sign that the developer of the package is a tool).

Then, after you download and install the huge package you discover that there are another several application dependencies so it will not work unless you are willing to risk barbecuing your Windows codec configurations by installing Hali and a bunch of other stuff.

No freaking thanks!

I just ended up ripping the episodes to MKV with MakeMKV and then using Handbrake to re-encode them into smaller files (720P video with DD 5.1).

I'm sure the quality is not as good as it could be, and this does mean I lose subtitles, but it also means I don't lose my sanity by having to install a ton of garbage on the machine I do my encoding with.

I use 7zip and the other tools ripbot uses (Haali, ffdshow, Avisynth) I already had on my PC, so there was nothing extra to add. It is nice though when it is a self contained program, but then again this is no different then many of the other free programs (Clown_BD, BluRip, etc...)

Cheers,
Damian

post #191 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I use 7zip and the other tools ripbot uses (Haali, ffdshow, Avisynth) I already had on my PC, so there was nothing extra to add. It is nice though when it is a self contained program, but then again this is no different then many of the other free programs (Clown_BD, BluRip, etc...)

I agree, no issues here either. I use BD Rebuilder and it requires the free programs that you listed above and not a single problem with any of them. I tested BD Rebuilder on Dexter Season 1. I made a full BD-9 ISO and it looks OK. I made a BD9 disk (from a Dual Layer DVD) and it played fine in my BD Changer and PS3. If users want to save space for TV series and retain BD format give it a try. It took about 40 minutes to re-code from 45 GB to 9 GB and retained all menus and extras. True HD was converted to DD5.1 in the process.
post #192 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

(1) DVDFab - Will allow you to rip BluRays and DVDs, keeping in a disc structure. You can opt to rip the full disc or just the main movie. Check site for pricing

(2) MakeMKV - Will allow you to rip the main movie (in mkv format) for DVDs and BluRays. It will also allow you to rip the full disc in folder structure (only confirmed this with BluRay). Currently free while in beta

(3) AnyDVD - Will allow you to rip the full disc of a BluRay or DVD. There are many free tools you can use alongside (such as my favoritye Clown_BD which I use when I want to rip just the main movie). Check site for pricing

I'm lazy and generallly just use anydvd and rip to iso, but my HD's are getting full. I understand one can use Clown BD to make the file much smaller, but will it still be iso, or do you have to change formats? Also when you check "unconverted" for the audio, does that mean it keeps the DTS HD or True Hd?
post #193 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr View Post

I'm lazy and generallly just use anydvd and rip to iso, but my HD's are getting full. I understand one can use Clown BD to make the file much smaller, but will it still be iso, or do you have to change formats? Also when you check "unconverted" for the audio, does that mean it keeps the DTS HD or True Hd?

Yes, you can still rip to ISO with Clown_BD. Also, unconverted retains the original HD Audio Track (DTSMA or TrueHD). You will save approx 15-35% in space by only ripping the main movie and main audio track (if you don't want/need all the extras it is an absolute waste t rip the entire disc IMO)

Cheers,
Damian

post #194 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 04:24 PM

Ok,

I really thought I had removed Any DVD from the computer.
Will check for it again.
Have not even tried in in over a year.
No reason to have two of these programs installed.
Even if Any DVD can be closed.

Am determined to get Fab to work.

Have never had to format files into Iso.
Files seem to play just fine on my Dune.

But at some point I might want to play files using Power DVD Etc.
So wondering why Power DVD is unable to play ISO files?
post #195 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
an .iso file is a container of media, not the media itself. Something has to be able to first open the container then navigate to the media file to play. Some streamers have this ability built-in. Powerdvd knows that it is on a windows machine where something else will provide this facility. DVDFab makes a FREE product to mount an .iso file to a emulated drive. The product is called DVDFab Virtual Drive.
post #196 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see, appreciate your input here.

I'm still edging towards AnyDVD HD combined with Clown_BD
post #197 of 6716 Old 05-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Great explanation.

Yes, Iso is a container of media.

I bet the Dune doew have something built in.
This is why I have always been able to play media files.

Have just dowloaded DFD Fab again and will try again.

Did not know what Virtual Drive was for.
No I know.

Moat appreciated,

Mr. Panda
post #198 of 6716 Old 05-28-2011, 06:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

+1 on that! Simply right click the anydvd icon to disable it and then Fab runs just fine...
post #199 of 6716 Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kncowans View Post

Hello all

With regards to the following:

AnyDVD HD does not actually remove the Previews etc. from the Image but instead tries to alter the Playlist file so that the Previews are not shown when the Movie is played back.

This will ofcourse mean that the Image is the same size as a Full Rip.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Did not know that..Thanks
post #200 of 6716 Old 05-28-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

There is no separate file for the free HD Decrypter. You download and install the full DVD Fab product. When the 30 day trial runs out, it disables the extra features in DVD Copy and BD copy and leaves you with the HD Decrypter. You will see that features like split-disk and the ability to compress a BD-50 to BD-25 or DVD-9,5 are no longer active once the trial period runs out. What is left is the free ability to rip a full disk or a title to your HDD.

How do u split bluray 50gb into two bd25s?
post #201 of 6716 Old 05-29-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

How do u split bluray 50gb into two bd25s?

DVD Fab can only do that with a DVD, not a BluRay. You can split a BD main title across two disks, but not the whole disk with menus etc. Fab can split a full DVD-9 DVD across two DVD-5 disks and preserve menus etc.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #202 of 6716 Old 05-29-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

an .iso file is a container of media, not the media itself. Something has to be able to first open the container then navigate to the media file to play. Some streamers have this ability built-in. Powerdvd knows that it is on a windows machine where something else will provide this facility. DVDFab makes a FREE product to mount an .iso file to a emulated drive. The product is called DVDFab Virtual Drive.

AnyDVD also makes a free product that mounts the ISO as a virtual drive. I use that product. Pretty simple, just right click on the ISO and select "mount."
post #203 of 6716 Old 05-30-2011, 04:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

AnyDVD also makes a free product that mounts the ISO as a virtual drive. I use that product. Pretty simple, just right click on the ISO and select "mount."

Yes it works great. Virtual Clone Drive. I've used it for many years. I initially used it with my CD images.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #204 of 6716 Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Yes it works great. Virtual Clone Drive. I've used it for many years. I initially used it with my CD images.

yeah, forgot what it's called. I just know the symbol it uses is a little sheep. Maybe a play on Molly the sheep.
post #205 of 6716 Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, you can still rip to ISO with Clown_BD. Also, unconverted retains the original HD Audio Track (DTSMA or TrueHD). You will save approx 15-35% in space by only ripping the main movie and main audio track (if you don't want/need all the extras it is an absolute waste t rip the entire disc IMO)
Well I tried this and even though I checked "unconverted", my receiver shows only Multi channel in; not DTSMA or TrueHD. That was the reason I gave up on ClownBD in the past. I tried it a few months ago, and I could never get it to retain the HD audio. What am I missing?
post #206 of 6716 Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well I tried this and even though I checked "unconverted", my receiver shows only Multi channel in; not DTSMA or TrueHD. That was the reason I gave up on ClownBD in the past. I tried it a few months ago, and I could never get it to retain the HD audio. What am I missing?
Use Media Info to confirm the audio track. Something isn't being done correctly as I have never had an issue getting the original HD Audio track to stick. Maybe post a screenshot of your Clown_BD settings as well as posting a screenshot of media inffo so we can look at and figure out

Cheers,
Damian

post #207 of 6716 Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this for the Dune? Is the player set for decoding or pass through?
post #208 of 6716 Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Use Media Info to confirm the audio track. Something isn't being done correctly as I have never had an issue getting the original HD Audio track to stick. Maybe post a screenshot of your Clown_BD settings as well as posting a screenshot of media inffo so we can look at and figure out

post #209 of 6716 Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

That is what I am wondering and where Media Info should hopefully shed some light

Cheers,
Damian

post #210 of 6716 Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is what I am wondering and where Media Info should hopefully shed some light

Did I beat you to the punch Yoda?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page