Bluray streaming skips, where's the weak point - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 05-26-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I burned my blue ray with DVDFab8 as BD 50 m2ts files. It is on my ASUS TS Mini SOHO w/ Intel Atom N280 1.66GHz 1GB DDR2, streaming over CAT5e through my router NetGear Rangemax WPN824v3 using a WDTV Live through HDMI to the TV.

The movie barely plays, no sound and skipping like I'm hitting a screen skip button. Where is the weak link in the network? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Is the connection to the WD Live wireless or wired. If it's wireless, forget it. It is unlikely you will stream full bitrate BD to a Live via wireless.

If the connection is wired, enable the UPnP/DLNA service on your server. From the Live's Video menu select Media Servers and view the list of your .m2ts files. I use DLNA to stream full bitrate BD.m2ts files to a WD Live plus from a NAS unit through a pair of Powerline adapters -- perfect playback, no stutter or skips.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 45 Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM

Liked: 11
Damn, which powerline adapters are you using? I am using Trendnet's 200Mbps adapter and I can barely stream anything with a combined bitrate over 10mbps such as 1080P mkv rips much less stream actual full bitrate BDs. I have a wireless N router but I have the connection from the the powerline adapter split by a cheapo Trendnet 10/100 4 port adapter.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #4 of 45 Old 05-27-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WDTV is the weak link
post #5 of 45 Old 05-27-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

@Kelson, the connection is wired. I'm using WHS, by "enable the UPnP/DLNA service" are you referring to the media sharing option? (see attached). If I set it to off, I can still get to my server through the network on WDTV, and the DVDs (99%) play just fine. I did not see much of a difference when changing media sharing to ON. It started instead mid movie and played fine for 15 seconds, then looked like it was fast forwarding with no sound. ALSO, I tend to go to the video files through the network option of WDTV because it has a better interface. I only see the 7 folder options on the WDTV with the folder images (pictures, movies, music, etc) versus going straight to the server and WDTV lists (albumn, artist, genre, playlist, and a bunch of other junk) and none of those have a pretty GUI folder picture.

@ mlknez, you may be correct. I can play my DVD's perfectly from the ASUS TS Mini WHS through my computer, but do have a couple of DVDs that have small skips in the first couple minutes when playing through WDTV. What alternative device do you suggest?
LL
post #6 of 45 Old 05-27-2011, 05:33 PM

Liked: 13
Here is what Kelson might have been trying to say

Preface: I have a Live+ not a Live. I have never used WHS.

The idea is to get the Live and the WHS box to connect via UPnP/DLNA as opposed to network share protocols. To do this; navigate your Live to ->Video->Media Servers-> then you should see your WHS UPnP/DLNA host name. Before you can do this, your WHS box must have UPnP/DLNA hosting software installed (I think that is what he meant by enable). I am unsure if your (or any) WHS version has this capability out of the box. You might have to install a 3rd party sw app such as Twonky -or many others to choose from.

Using UPnP/DLNA results in better network throughput or efficiency I have seen this first hand a 1:1 backup copy of a high bitrate blu-ray movie would stutter while using network shares, then play perfect when switching to (media servers) UPnP/DLNA.

If the WDTV Live was the problem, there would be many Live people screaming (as opposed to dead people?). The problem is not the Live.

*My ever so smart GF has done & did an edit to my signature... now using other ways of concealing my passwords*
post #7 of 45 Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 6 Pack View Post

Damn, which powerline adapters are you using? I am using Trendnet's 200Mbps adapter and I can barely stream anything with a combined bitrate over 10mbps such as 1080P mkv rips much less stream actual full bitrate BDs. I have a wireless N router but I have the connection from the the powerline adapter split by a cheapo Trendnet 10/100 4 port adapter.

To Joe and others here interested:
These are two posts I wrote detailing streaming BluRay rips on the Live+ using DLNA and Powerline adapters.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post19992143

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19999565

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8 of 45 Old 05-28-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure I'm following. My understanding is the ASUS TS Mini WHS has DLNA built in unlike out of the box WHS software and does not need Twonky or the like.

Is navigating ->Video->Media Servers->MYWHS-> any different than navigating >Video->Network Shares-> MYWHS-> ??? Navigating the first way gives me an ugly interface that I assume WDTV is creating (folders and subfolders for "actor" and "Genre", etc) no pictures are on the file folders and browsing is tedious. Navigating the second way I only see the folders on my WHS that are shared to the WDTV. I have it customized to be a simple and clean interface with each folder having a picture.

Personally I hate the WDTV interface no matter how I navigate to my server. I don't like that I have to select "audio" or "video" at the top menu when they lead me to the same content, but act differently. Example - using video and going into an audio folder will play the music, but will stop after song rather than playing the album. but I digress....
post #9 of 45 Old 05-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

WDTV is the weak link

Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post

Here is what Kelson might have been trying to say…

Using UPnP/DLNA results in better network throughput or efficiency… I have seen this first hand… a 1:1 backup copy of a high bitrate blu-ray movie would stutter while using network shares, then play perfect when switching to (media servers) UPnP/DLNA.

If the WDTV Live was the problem, there would be many Live people screaming (as opposed to dead people?). The problem is not the Live.

WDTV Live stutters on high bitrate movies. Recent fw releases have not changed that. I'd guess many "Live" people have moved on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAsking View Post

Is navigating ->Video->Media Servers->MYWHS-> any different than navigating >Video->Network Shares-> MYWHS-> ???
Personally I hate the WDTV interface no matter how I navigate to my server.

See Marde's explanation above.
Playback via DLNA vs SMB. Try running the constant bit rate files
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4n...zMmNm&hl=en_US
Agreed re: WDTV interface.
post #10 of 45 Old 05-28-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is navigating ->Video->Media Servers->MYWHS-> any different than navigating >Video->Network Shares-> MYWHS-> ??? Navigating the first way gives me an ugly interface that I assume WDTV is creating (folders and subfolders for "actor" and "Genre", etc) no pictures are on the file folders and browsing is tedious.

Yes, absolutely. The first way "->Video->Media Servers->MYWHS-> " is connecting through DLNA. The second way ">Video->Network Shares-> MYWHS-> ???" is connecting through SMB. If you have stuttering trouble with BluRay over SMB then you want to go DLNA. See the links in my post above. I have been streaming DVD.iso over SMB and through Powerline Adapters to a Live+ since the day I got it. DVD.iso streaming performance has been flawless in all respects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr View Post

WDTV Live stutters on high bitrate movies. Recent fw releases have not changed that. I'd guess many "Live" people have moved on....

No it does not. It does not stutter with the highest bitrate movies as far back as FW 1.04.18. See the links I posted above. If it stutters for you then there is something else at fault with either your network or server. Many Live people have not moved on, we just don't have a problem.

- kelson h

post #11 of 45 Old 05-28-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

WDTV is the weak link

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr View Post

Agreed.

WDTV Live stutters on high bitrate movies. Recent fw releases have not changed that. I'd guess many "Live" people have moved on...

When you say WDTV Live stutters on high bitrate movies you are doing an injustice to the community.

There are several Live users who can testify that playback of 1:1 copies of BD (m2ts) movies works. Kelson and I are two people, and others can be found in other threads.

BD stutter is most often associated to network components and not the Live, -if using the Media Servers (DLNA) method. If using Network Shares, network/bandwidth/protocol efficiency is lessened and stutter may occur, especially if the BD movie bitrate is very high.

I had some stutter on BD movies (using network shares), but after updating firmware of my router and NAS, I have not seen any stutter at all (this only after limited viewing of about 5 BD movies).

During prior stuttering problems (just described above) I moved my BD collection off my NAS and onto external HDD enclosures attached directly to the Live (this also to make room for other junk). The only remaining BD movies I have on my NAS are the Batman and Spiderman series and Avatar, all of which playback fine via networking Network Shares. I see no weak link.

If you or others wish to call the Live the weak link I will not argue. If you or others say the OP issue is a result of the Live hardware/firmware, I will PM you my address and your welcome to come over and show me why the Live is a weak link here. I will toss in 2 or 9 beers just for your time and the spirit of fun. No, I am not joking. Come on by....

*My ever so smart GF has done & did an edit to my signature... now using other ways of concealing my passwords*
post #12 of 45 Old 05-28-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, OK, it's finally starting to sink in after mbryanr quoted Marde forcing me to read it again, and Kelson found a third way to explain the same thing. I was / am clearly one of the weak links Now I understand I have two ways to get to my data on the WHS. Via Network Share or through the Media Server option (which is the DLNA method). DLNA method allows these high bit rate BluRays to play, but the network share allows the pretty GUI with folder pictures.

Now I'm trying to figure out why using the Media Server (DLNA) method only lists my AVI movies and MPG audio, no vob or m2ts or flac. I hoped a power cycle would force a rescan, but no luck so far.

Any advantage to adding Twonky to my WHS?

Any WDTV alternatives with pandora and with a DLNA method allowing folder pictures (some sort of thumbnail view)?
post #13 of 45 Old 05-29-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Now I'm trying to figure out why using the Media Server (DLNA) method only lists my AVI movies and MPG audio, no vob or m2ts or flac. I hoped a power cycle would force a rescan, but no luck so far.

You should see BD.m2ts via DLNA. I don't know about the other formats because I don't use them; I only use BD.m2ts for my BluRays and I play them using DLNA. All my media is streamed from NAS units that support DLNA and SMB.

- kelson h

post #14 of 45 Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Kelson, The Files BD.m2ts, but the Server is WHS on an ASUS TS Mini. My guess it ASUS added some DLNA support, but not for m2ts. I'm basing this on the Microsoft's product faq sheet: "Out of the box, Windows Home Server supports a technology called Windows Media Connect, which enables it to stream content to Windows Media Connect-enabled devices such as Xbox 360..... Some OEMs such as HP and Acer have taken the extra step of including a DLNA stack with their Windows Home Server offerings, which enable full DLNA media streaming support"

I have added Twonky Media Server to my WHS and now see different results using their DLNA. The movies no longer skip and stutter like they did when playing using network shares, they now play fine for a short length of time (30 seconds to 5 minutes) then stop, pause, and continue. No skip. It is like it can't process the information fast enough and has to wait for a buffer before playing again.

Side note: My router, WHS, and WD TV Live are all using the latest firmware.
post #15 of 45 Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi JustAsking,
Quote:

. . . they now play fine for a short length of time (30 seconds to 5 minutes) then stop, pause, and continue. . .

I suspect some WHS service is running periodically, sapping the CPU.
post #16 of 45 Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Side note: My router, WHS, and WD TV Live are all using the latest firmware.

Sorry I cannot be of more help. I know nothing at all about WHS. I opted for a couple of D-Link 321 NAS units that support DLNA and have turned out to be extremely friendly to the WD Live+.

- kelson h

post #17 of 45 Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Sorry I cannot be of more help. I know nothing at all about WHS. I opted for a couple of D-Link 321 NAS units that support DLNA and have turned out to be extremely friendly to the WD Live+.

Kelson, so you have the other end of your powerline hooked up to a 100mbps switch which is connected to your WD Live and the Dlink 321? Sp the bluray content you are playing is only off of that NAS or can you do it to the computer which is at the other end of your powerline? What router are you using? Is gigabit ethernet unnecessary?
post #18 of 45 Old 05-31-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Buy a Dune product. Do not change ANYTHING with your setup and let us know your results...
post #19 of 45 Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steaksauce111 View Post

Kelson, so you have the other end of your powerline hooked up to a 100mbps switch which is connected to your WD Live and the Dlink 321? Sp the bluray content you are playing is only off of that NAS or can you do it to the computer which is at the other end of your powerline? What router are you using? Is gigabit ethernet unnecessary?

No. From the link I posted,

Live+ -> 10/100 switch -> PLA-1 -> PLA-2 -> 10/100 switch -> NAS

Live+ connected to Netgear 5-port 10/100 switch
Netgear 5-port connected to one end of a pair of Netgear AV-200 PLA's
other end of PLA pair connected to Netgear 8-port 10/100 switch
D-Link NAS connected to Netgear 8-port

The Live+ and content are on opposite ends of the PLA's. All streaming is through the PLA's. I don't use my PC for serving content, just the NAS units. Gigabit is not necessary. The Verizon ActionTec router does not enter into this; the switch on the router is not used except to plug into the main 8-port switch.

- kelson h

post #20 of 45 Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 AM

Mlknez: what's ur setup?

No gigabit needed? I thought bluray needed connection speeds of more than 100mbps. I've only used a wireless connection so far with huge movies with no luck.mkvs seem to be playing too. All with with my wireless g linksys wrt54gl. Hmm, maybe I should go with power line first.
post #21 of 45 Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Mlknez: what's ur setup?

No gigabit needed? I thought bluray needed connection speeds of more than 100mbps. I've only used a wireless connection so far with huge movies with no luck.mkvs seem to be playing too. All with with my wireless g linksys wrt54gl. Hmm, maybe I should go with power line first.

bluray max bitrate is only 54mb/sec... 100mb wired is PLENTY fast.

The problem with wireless is you never get anywhere near the 'rated' speed, and you don't get speed consistently.

100mb wired is more than fast enough for bluray.

300mb wireless isn't fast enough.

500mb powerline works fine though for most folks (my personal experience is I get about 70-80mb/sec CONSISTENTLY over a netgear 500mb powerline setup).
post #22 of 45 Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post

bluray max bitrate is only 54mb/sec... 100mb wired is PLENTY fast.

The problem with wireless is you never get anywhere near the 'rated' speed, and you don't get speed consistently.

100mb wired is more than fast enough for bluray.

300mb wireless isn't fast enough.

500mb powerline works fine though for most folks (my personal experience is I get about 70-80mb/sec CONSISTENTLY over a netgear 500mb powerline setup).

Hmm, gonna go home and run my cat 5e from the router to the livingroom today to rule out the router then. After that, wd livewire pla 200. Thanks bud
post #23 of 45 Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmm, gonna go home and run my cat 5e from the router to the livingroom today to rule out the router then. After that, wd livewire pla 200. Thanks bud

If you are buying PLA for the first time with a desire to stream high-bitrate BD content, you should buy the AV500's. I bought my AV200's before the 500's were out so I had no choice. Were I to buy today I would buy the AV500's.

- kelson h

post #24 of 45 Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

If you are buying PLA for the first time with a desire to stream high-bitrate BD content, you should buy the AV500's. I bought my AV200's before the 500's were out so I had no choice. Were I to buy today I would buy the AV500's.

If one is only getting 70-80mbps max on a PLA, does one need a 500mbps rated PLA or would 200mbps one be enough? I am hearing too much negatives about 500 and gigabit PLA's about how they aren't any faster than 200 PLA's. Not to mention my ethernet is capped at 100mps.
post #25 of 45 Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I burned my blue ray with DVDFab8 as BD 50 m2ts files.

Post the mediainfo results to get the bitrate...

Turn off demigrator on the whs.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...s-home-server/
post #26 of 45 Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If one is only getting 70-80mbps max on a PLA,

That is with the AV500. You will not get that throughput with the AV200. From NewEgg there is only a $16 premium for a pair of AV500 over a pair of AV200.

- kelson h

post #27 of 45 Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:

That is with the AV500. You will not get that throughput with the AV200. From NewEgg there is only a $16 premium for a pair of AV500 over a pair of AV200.

So wireless N should be faster than G when downloading stuff off the net? No offense, just wondering.

I think I'm gonna have to pass on the PLAs. I actually don't have any bluray files and the ones that I have trouble playing are mp4s... the player just never will be perfect... plus, there is a usb dongle I can always use. I'll just invest the $100 extra bucks on a new TV.
post #28 of 45 Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:

So wireless N should be faster than G when downloading stuff off the net? No offense, just wondering.

I think I'm gonna have to pass on the PLAs. I actually don't have any bluray files and the ones that I have trouble playing are mp4s... the player just never will be perfect... plus, there is a usb dongle I can always use. I'll just invest the $100 extra bucks on a new TV.

N is faster than G (though both are faster than the average home internet connection by a wide margin... but if you've got some fat 50mb/sec internet pipe you'll see a speed gain with N over G... not so much if you're on something more common like 3mb DSL or 10mb cable modem)

Both are generally too slow for high bitrate video over the network though.

30-40 mb/sec consistent throughput is the most that most folks get out of wireless n... PLA (500mb anyway) should produce 2-3 times that if your home has decent wiring.
post #29 of 45 Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM

We have not heard from the OP in a while, this post is picking up from where JustAsking last posted.

Quote:

As Kelson stated, the Live does display, see and play m2ts files. I checked the Live (via DLNA) and VOB and FLAC files are also “being seen” –and playback is OK too.

I have two guess on your m2ts, vob, flac (files not being seen) problem;

(1) Your UPnP/DLNA Server/Host software media folder (on the ASUS TS Mini) needs to be “re-scanned” -this is an action within the DLNA hosting software you are using. My NAS DLNA hosting application must be re-scanned after adding media… otherwise the Live can not see media files added. This is only the case if DLNA, -network shares additions are seen instantly.

(2) I have 3 DLNA hosting applications (2 on a PC and 1 on a NAS). After logging in to each one (one at a time) the Live displays media and folders in different ways. The DLNA Host software influences the way info and your files are presented to you on the Live. If you are not seeing a file that you know is there, make sure you navigate to a music file (such as FLAC) starting with the Live “Music” menu selection and “Music” again once the Live navigates inside the influences of your DLNA host. It is slightly possible that you are not seeing the FLAC file because you took a wrong turn down the navigation process and ended up only being able to see Photos or Video files. This happens ALL THE TIME when using “network shares” but DLNA is much better at showing you ALL FILES, even if you navigated for a MUSIC file and took a wrong turn… you would still see all file types -everything. This may not be the case with your DLNA hosting software(?). This summary relates to your other comment shown below ….

Quote:

Personally I hate the WDTV interface no matter how I navigate to my server. I don't like that I have to select "audio" or "video" at the top menu when they lead me to the same content, but act differently. Example - using video and going into an audio folder will play the music, but will stop after song rather than playing the album. but I digress....

As I just summarized above, that is the case with DLNA only. If you instead use “network shares”, you will NOT find any music files, if you started your navigation from the Live main menu Video selection. I posted/complained about this annoyance a few months ago, wishing that the Live would instead do something like this ->Live Main Menu -> My Media ->Network Shares-> -> select any folder -> show & play any file type there, music, movies or photos.

You have gone from “barely plays, no sound and skipping like I'm hitting a screen skip button” ->to-> “ play fine for a short length of time”. This was the result of you switching from “network shares” to DLNA protocols. Please note that you have not isolated the problem. It is not a weakness of the Live, -it is just the Live responding from an improvement in the network efficiency of both the DLNA protocol and your ASUS TS Mini (to include the DLNA hosting software) and/or your router. Your ASUS TS Mini might not have enuf horse-power? (is too busy running other background tasks?) -And/or, your router is contributing to the bottleneck. Hope you get it fixed. Good luck.

post #30 of 45 Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I'm going to keep working this until an answer or at least solution is posted on the thread.

@mbryanr, I have tried stopping demigrator, but have seen no difference. The movie isn't skipping since using DNLA, it simply plays, then stops and shows black screen, waits, then continues from exactly where it stopped. It feels like I'm out of RAM or it's not streaming fast enough and the WDTV is waiting for the next part of the movie.

You also said "Post the mediainfo results to get the bitrate" - you lost me there. Note sure where I get this.

@mlknez, I would like to try a DUNE or any other product just to experience different interfaces, not because I blame WDTV (yet) for the current issue, but because I need more streamers around the house. It would have to have Pandora or the wife won't approve.... DUNE doesn't have Pandora does it?

@Marde, WHS does not have DLNA stack, it's an add-in from ASUS. I assume you are correct. It is either the ASUS or it's not re-scanning. Not sure how to rescan with that, and I'm surprised it finds the other files itself without issue. Regardless, using TWONKY, I can find all the files just fine.

I tried installing TWONKY on my PC as well to see if streaming from the PC would provide different results than the Server, but have been unable to get WDTV to see the PC's TWONKY network. ugh.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page