Streaming M2TS Using PS3MediaServer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there, was hoping to get a quick answer to this. I recently took one of my blu-ray discs, ripped it to my desktop, then used eac3to to separate the video (.h264) and audio (DTS), and then converted the audio to .lpcm. Then I used tsMuxeR to put the files (.h264 and .lpcm) back into a .m2ts container to stream to my ps3 using ps3mediaserver.

I have everything setup and I can see the movie on my ps3 downstairs. However, when I go to play it, I don't get anything. I know the file works because I was watching it on my computer at work and the video and audio were both there just fine. Is there something that I'm doing wrong? Why does it have an asterisk at the end of the file name? All the information shows up for the file, but I get nothing when I play it. Please help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 PM

Liked: 13
Not sure where the break is, but I have some info that mite help. That asterisk is always there, or is often there, not sure why the PS3 does that. I just tested Spiderman3.m2ts (H264 & lpcm) and it streams perfectly (streamed via wired network from NAS). I had previously remuxed it using tsMuxeR ver 1.8.4.

Try playback of the raw m2ts file (untouched copy off of the BD). The error is likely the custom built m2ts file. However, it is also possible that your network connection collapses at the very beginning due to the high bitrate demand by the stream. I think that could happen.

Good luck.

*My ever so smart GF has done & did an edit to my signature... now using other ways of concealing my passwords*
post #3 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I think the issue is my super slow computer and wireless connection. My pc has an intel Celeron processor with 512MB RAM. I assume this is the culprit. Also, a wireless connection is not as good as a wired one. So would you suggest a wired connection with something else streaming?
post #4 of 19 Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Yes. You can find many users & posts in other threads explaining the difficulties or inabilities of m2ts (BD rips) streaming via wireless. If you can not get a cable drop into the PS3 area, you should consider buying a set of (best available) power line adapters (PLA's) or MoCA adapters. Buy from a local store (not on-line store) so you can return them if they do not work in your home.

In order to figure out if your old PC is a problem, you need to do one of these steps (1) run a network cable (temporarily) from your router to your PS3 (2) place all components in one room (temporarily) in order to see if your PC, cables, router and PS3 will stream m2ts.

You can get a 100 foot cat6 network cable from monoprice dot com fairly cheap (?). You do not need Giga Bit network components/cables for streaming BD material. 10/100 networks are good enuf. However, some 10/100 routers have bottlenecked some users, and sometimes they get fixes with firmware updates for the router.

Good luck.

*My ever so smart GF has done & did an edit to my signature... now using other ways of concealing my passwords*
post #5 of 19 Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I got my PC and the PS3 in the same room, and connected them both to my router via ethernet. I used PS3MediaServer, and it found my PS3 right away. When I chose the m2ts file to stream, it was a lot better than last night with the wireless connection (PS3 on the bottom floor and router and PC on the third floor), but it was still stuttering.

As mentioned before, I know my PC is slow with only 512MB of RAM. What I'm concerned about is if this is the true culprit, or if I may have my settings set wrong. Does anyone have any input as to what settings I should do on ps3mediaserver to stream m2ts file with h264 video and lpcm audio? Here is a screen shot of what I have, with m2ts chosen to be skipped for transcoding as the ps3 can see that. Please help, or let me know that it's my PC that's the issue and it couldn't be the settings.

post #6 of 19 Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Your quantity of ram is more than likely the culprit, I'm assuming that the copy of the movie you are streaming is on your system drive? If you have access to a spare drive try copying movie to it and stream that way. Otherwise your gonna have to come up with some more ram.
Hope this helps
post #7 of 19 Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 PM

I have never used ps3mediaserver. Now that I just checked out the ps3mediaserver website, I lightly understand what it is (cool). ps3mediaserver seems largely geared at transcoding and adapting to the limitations of DLNA/UPnP (very cool). OK, here are my suggestions; (1) your old PC might be the cause of mal (2) ps3mediaserver (your DLNA/UPnP host) might be the cause of malfunction too.

Use another DLNA/UPnP host software on your old PC. I believe Vista and Windows Media Player (WMP) can be the DLNA/UPnP host. You are going to have to research how to get WMP to advertise itself as a DLNA device on your network -Vista firewall/TCP-UDP ports opened for PS3 client and/or use another 3rd party DLNA/UPnP host sw such as Tversity or others are out there too.

Hope you find the source of mal, a new PC, a new router, or a jackpot winning lottery ticket.

Good luck.

post #8 of 19 Old 06-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowinnothin View Post

Your quantity of ram is more than likely the culprit, I'm assuming that the copy of the movie you are streaming is on your system drive? If you have access to a spare drive try copying movie to it and stream that way. Otherwise your gonna have to come up with some more ram.
Hope this helps

Yes. Good idea. Also look for anyway you can "reduce processes" that the old PC is doing while idle and while streaming video.

post #9 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I copied the file directly to my PS3, which took a while. When I went to play it, the video played perfectly as well as the music, but there were no voices. Really weird. I have the same file on my external drive, and played it here on my pc at work with powerdvd, and it played fine without any issue. Any ideas?
post #10 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I first began streaming content, I tried to jump through the hoops to use my PS3 to do so. My suggestion is this. If you are serious about streaming, pick up a box dedicated to streaming. The PS3 is great for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Blu-Ray playback and games, but it fails as a media streamer.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 AM

I do not agree that the PS3 fails as a media streamer but do agree that it and DLNA/UPnP have limitations. I have a PS3 and a couple of stand alone media streamers. +1 on the idea that the OP purchases a new stand alone streamer also... when he has the desire and cash to do so.

It the file plays OK on the PC at work and not OK on the PS3, it is likely a CODEC support issue. That custom built m2ts file will likely never play properly on the PS3. As I stated before, make a copy of the same or another m2ts file on/from your BD's. Get one or two untouched m2ts files to test with.

Another idea (I have never done this) is to connect your ext HDD directly to the PS3 (via USB) try this when you get another m2ts file to test with. I have never seen any problems with the PS3 and m2ts files, so you should be able to playback most or all of your BD m2ts files.

post #12 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

The only problem with plugging my external hard drive into the ps3 is that it only recognizes FAT formats, which don't support larger files. So that's out. Basically, all I want to do is create copies of my Blu-Ray DVD's in the highest quality possible, store them on my external hard drive, and use something to watch them on my tv. So here are my questions:

1. What is the best way to use DVDFab to create a copy of the main movie of my blu-ray dvd's. I don't need all the extras, just the main movie.

2. What media player will best play the files back to my tv from my external hard drive? I don't really need it to do anything else since I have the ps3 to do other stuff. I just need an interface to play the high definition files to my tv from my external hard drive.

If someone could please answer these questions, I would greatly appreciate it, because I'm about to forget everything and just do regular dvds.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Making backups of BD is more tedious than DVD’s. Once you find a BD copy method you’re comfy with, it is not too bad tho. “Movie only” can be even easier than full disc copies. You should read-up on a recent thread here -> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1336046

I do not use DVDFab, so someone else will need to comment on that.

A quick BD copy summary from my prospective is; (1) using BDinfo, most movies are one large m2ts file. Copy that large m2ts file and you’re done. Super easy. After that you could also use Tsmuxer on the file just copied, and remove unwanted foreign language audio tracks and downmix high def audio if you wanted. (2) Some other BD’s have the movie split up into 4, 5 or 6 (typical numbers) separate m2ts files (this is called non-seemless branching). Using BDinfo, find the MPLS file that “connects them all together” then, use TsmuxeR, select the MPLS file, and remux the MPLS, and output to m2ts… and you’re done. It is easy. You should also consider using other methods, such as Clown_BD.

As far as “the best” stand alone media player to buy? Lots of choices, and none should be considered “the best”. I use a WDTV Live+ and would highly recommend it because it is cheap, has many features, and plays m2ts files.

Forgot to mention, I use AnyDVD HD.

post #14 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post

Making backups of BD is more tedious than DVD's. Once you find a BD copy method you're comfy with, it is not too bad tho. Movie only can be even easier than full disc copies. You should read-up on a recent thread here -> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1336046

I do not use DVDFab, so someone else will need to comment on that.

A quick BD copy summary from my prospective is; (1) using BDinfo, most movies are one large m2ts file. Copy that large m2ts file and you're done. Super easy. After that you could also use Tsmuxer on the file just copied, and remove unwanted foreign language audio tracks and downmix high def audio if you wanted. (2) Some other BD's have the movie split up into 4, 5 or 6 (typical numbers) separate m2ts files (this is called non-seemless branching). Using BDinfo, find the MPLS file that connects them all together then, use TsmuxeR, select the MPLS file, and remux the MPLS, and output to m2ts and you're done. It is easy. You should also consider using other methods, such as Clown_BD.

As far as the best stand alone media player to buy? Lots of choices, and none should be considered the best. I use a WDTV Live+ and would highly recommend it because it is cheap, has many features, and plays m2ts files.

Forgot to mention, I use AnyDVD HD.

Thanks. So which WDTV one exactly do you have because I get confused what the difference is between the three.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 PM

The Live+.

Live+ includes netflix app. Live (no plus) does not have netflix app.

post #16 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Live+.

Live+ includes netflix app. Live (no plus) does not have netflix app.

Is that the only difference? Cause I have Netflix on my ps3.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 12:26 PM

I am fairly sure that is the only difference. Yeah, many people have a netflix app on 2 or more home theater devices in one room. You will use the one that is easiest for you and/or the one that is best suited to do the job at hand. Netflix apps will likely be on refrigerators, toasters and dishwashers soon.

The Live+ got a new netflix UI recently. You mite like it better than netflix on the PS3.

post #18 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am fairly sure that is the only difference. Yeah, many people have a netflix app on 2 or more home theater devices in one room. You will use the one that is easiest for you and/or the one that is best suited to do the job at hand. Netflix apps will likely be on refrigerators, toasters and dishwashers soon.

The Live+ got a new netflix UI recently. You mite like it better than netflix on the PS3.

Yeah, it basically looks like Live+ is the newer version of Live.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I personally use a Boxee for all my streaming needs, and just use the PS3 for Blu-Ray discs and games. The WDTV is likely just fine for what you need. My goal was to get a box that would do just about everything, and have a nice UI, so that's why I went with the Boxee. It does have issues with bitstreaming HD audio formats, if that matters to you. I'm not sure where the WDTV stands on the HD audio front.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page