LG ST600 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 134 Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The LG ST600 is silent streamer is an inexpensive diskless streamer designed to bring LG's Media Link to any HDTV with an HDMI input. The box is slightly bigger than an ATV2, but has a small external power supply. It is based on the BCM7615 processor. It is fan less, has 1080p support and a USB port which supports hard drives, wireless input devices, etc..., optical and HDMI out. With the latest firmware the device is DLNA 1.5 certified, supports cifs(smb) as a client, Netflix and other premium content support and has a web browser built in. It does not support iso nor VIDEO_TS structures. It does support mkv and most other containers. The price is $129 retail ( typical price under $90). The main reason why one might want to consider this player over other lower end players is its support for Plex. This will apparently be in place by the end of June, 2011. See http://www.plexapp.com/ for more details about Plex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

The LG ST600 is silent streamer is an inexpensive diskless streamer designed to bring LG's Media Link to any HDTV with an HDMI input. The box is slightly bigger than an ATV2, but has a small external power supply. It is based on the BCM7615 processor. It is fan less, has 1080p support and a USB port which supports hard drives, wireless input devices, etc..., optical and HDMI out. With the latest firmware the device is DLNA 1.5 certified, supports cifs(smb) as a client, Netflix and other premium content support and has a web browser built in. It does not support iso nor VIDEO_TS structures. It does support mkv and most other containers. The price is $129 retail ( typical price under $90). The main reason why one might want to consider this player over other lower end players is its support for Plex. This will apparently be in place by the end of June, 2011. See http://www.plexapp.com/ for more details about Plex.

interesting....

So no plex support today?

Whats the GUI look like.... how bout posting a few screen shots...

What's its support for TrueHD and DTS-MA? Decode,passthrough, downmix, or just core audio from those formats....

Gotta say I dont use the mac mini's at HTPC's anymore but really enjoy Plex client on IOS. I watched 4 movies last week on it with great results. If I could actually watch a movie start to finish without crashing at least twice then it would be better but for $5 I'm happy....

Sean
post #3 of 134 Old 06-16-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't you buy something similar to this a month or so ago and send it back. I though it was also another LG plex client.

Sean
post #4 of 134 Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Didn't you buy something similar to this a month or so ago and send it back. I though it was also another LG plex client.

Sean

I did, but at that point it didn't have smb support and the Plex client was somewhere off in the future. Once I realized it didn't have the magic remote I didn't use it and just returned it unopened. This time the price was $60 less ( around that $80-$90 figure) and Plex is supposed to ship by the end of the month so I bought it again and have set it up and used it. It's actually well worth the money now.

I have used Plex on one of my ATV2's to watch movies and have never had it crash. Mind you I think the client on the jailbroken ATV2 may actually be better than the iOS official client which I also have. Quite odd. My main interest in the LG ST600 is Plex, but I can see this appealing to someone who might go for a WDTV type player. It seems way better than the players at that price. It has very nice support for subtitles which is important to me.

What is interesting about the LG Smart TV Upgrader (odd name) ST600 is that it will play eyetv recording from my EyeTV HD box without exporting them. That is something I have been unable to do ( except via my Mini with the EyeTV app). Nice quality too. Netflix on the LG ST600 has a very nice interface. The picture doesn't seem as nice as the one using the ATV2, though that may a settings' thing. The only premium provider missing seems to be Hulu Plus but that is apparently also coming in June.

The web browser is ok. It works better with the Lenovo Multimedia Keyboard ( which works with the ST600). It supports Flash but I disabled that (it does not support the latest Flash - only version 8 ). They have a YouTube app which is nice.

Not a bad product really. It's $87 at Amazon which makes it a pretty attractive alternative.

Sorry about the lack of audio info. I have yet to move beyond a Bose Cinemate setup (so 2 speakers and a woofer). Are there audio samples to test all the various audio capabilities? From their spec sheet they have

2ch Down Mix Yes
Dolby Digital Yes
Dolby Digital Plus Yes
DTS Yes

Unfortunately I suspect this doesn't answer your audio questions. Here is a link to the specs. The video capabilities are quite nice and the power usage is low. It has a power off button on the remote.

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/LG-ST600.jsp

philip
post #5 of 134 Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did, but at that point it didn't have smb support and the Plex client was somewhere off in the future. Once I realized it didn't have the magic remote I didn't use it and just returned it unopened. This time the price was $60 less ( around that $80-$90 figure) and Plex is supposed to ship by the end of the month so I bought it again and have set it up and used it. It's actually well worth the money now.

I have used Plex on one of my ATV2's to watch movies and have never had it crash. Mind you I think the client on the jailbroken ATV2 may actually be better than the iOS official client which I also have. Quite odd. My main interest in the LG ST600 is Plex, but I can see this appealing to someone who might go for a WDTV type player. It seems way better than the players at that price. It has very nice support for subtitles which is important to me.

What is interesting about the LG Smart TV Upgrader (odd name) ST600 is that it will play eyetv recording from my EyeTV HD box without exporting them. That is something I have been unable to do ( except via my Mini with the EyeTV app). Nice quality too. Netflix on the LG ST600 has a very nice interface. The picture doesn't seem as nice as the one using the ATV2, though that may a settings' thing. The only premium provider missing seems to be Hulu Plus but that is apparently also coming in June.

The web browser is ok. It works better with the Lenovo Multimedia Keyboard ( which works with the ST600). It supports Flash but I disabled that (it does not support the latest Flash - only version 8 ). They have a YouTube app which is nice.

Not a bad product really. It's $87 at Amazon which makes it a pretty attractive alternative.

Sorry about the lack of audio info. I have yet to move beyond a Bose Cinemate setup (so 2 speakers and a woofer). Are there audio samples to test all the various audio capabilities? From their spec sheet they have

2ch Down Mix Yes
Dolby Digital Yes
Dolby Digital Plus Yes
DTS Yes

Unfortunately I suspect this doesn't answer your audio questions. Here is a link to the specs. The video capabilities are quite nice and the power usage is low. It has a power off button on the remote.

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/LG-ST600.jsp

philip

OK the lack of good audio support and lack of DVD folders/menus seems to make this box slightly inferior alternative to the WDTV Live Plus but with the addition of plex this might get interesting...

Is it playing your BD rips well?

BTW: It seems they are in stock at Best Buy for $99 and amazon for $89 so its price competitively with the ATV2 and the WDTV Live plus....

would love to see some screen shots of the GUI?

Sean
post #6 of 134 Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Another Question is there DD 5.1 on the Netflix or only 2.0 pro logic?

Sean
post #7 of 134 Old 06-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Liked: 10
I saw an ad which touted the unit's integrated web browser. How robust a browser is this? Can you play video from the Networks' sites (where the GoogleTV produts won't)?

Thanks for the input. Still looking for the perfect device without going full-bore HTPC.
post #8 of 134 Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieS View Post

I saw an ad which touted the unit's integrated web browser. How robust a browser is this? Can you play video from the Networks' sites (where the GoogleTV produts won't)?

Thanks for the input. Still looking for the perfect device without going full-bore HTPC.

The ST600 is not the perfect device, but then nothing seems to be. The browser works well as a browser, but if you are looking for flash video then is won't do as it's only has flash v8 support. There is an app for You Tube which works well. Moving the pointer around with the remote is a bit of a pain. I use a Lenovo Multimedia mini keyboard which is more convenient.

If you are looking for something to play video from CBS, etc ... then this browser is not the way to go. I don't know why you would do that since Plex will give you access to those networks. Once Plex ( called MediaLink) is running on the ST600 I will have a better feeling for the ST600. This is supposed to be within a couple of weeks. There is an app store, with little of interest at the moment, which is currently running in the US but not in Canada (again, July supposedly). So screen shots are not that useful as the unit has a GUI which lists files in a similar way to the C200. Right now, I have 3 windows. There is a premium content with Netflix and the rest of the available offerings, a browser window, a Smart Share window where you select movies, music and so on ... When you click on movies you get a list of DLNA servers, samba servers and soon Plex Media Servers. The Plex Media Server is what will give you access to the networks in a similar way to XBMC's Addons.

philip
post #9 of 134 Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM

Phillip,

Do I understand correctly that you're doing this for web browsing with the ST600? I use a Lenovo Multimedia mini keyboard which is more convenient.

Is this the Lenova keyboard you're using? http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Multime.../dp/B0036VO67I

If so, I wondering now if that would also work with LG Smart TVs that use the same wireless firm/soft ware?

Best regards, Richard
post #10 of 134 Old 06-22-2011, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckowal View Post

Phillip,

Do I understand correctly that you're doing this for web browsing with the ST600? I use a Lenovo Multimedia mini keyboard which is more convenient.

Is this the Lenova keyboard you're using? http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Multime.../dp/B0036VO67I

If so, I wondering now if that would also work with LG Smart TVs that use the same wireless firm/soft ware?

Yes, that is the Lenovo keyboard I use. I bought it during my Boxee Box days as I didn't like their remote. It is not perfect as it the keys are not backlight.
It works fine with the ST600 browser because you plug in the keyboard receiver into the USB slot of the ST600. I have not used an LG Smart TV so I don't know if they have a USB port that would be usable.

The higher end Smart TV's have a neat motion remote that I had thought came with the ST600 ( they don't and they don't work with the ST600). There is also an iPhone app from LG which works with them ( and an Android one). There is one for LG Smart TV's and the one for the ST600 is called LG Remote for Audio and Video. The iPhone app let's you browse quite nicely.

philip
post #11 of 134 Old 06-22-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Yes, that is the Lenovo keyboard I use. I bought it during my Boxee Box days as I didn't like their remote. It is not perfect as it the keys are not backlight.
It works fine with the ST600 browser because you plug in the keyboard receiver into the USB slot of the ST600. I have not used an LG Smart TV so I don't know if they have a USB port that would be usable.

The higher end Smart TV's have a neat motion remote that I had thought came with the ST600 ( they don't and they don't work with the ST600). There is also an iPhone app from LG which works with them ( and an Android one). There is one for LG Smart TV's and the one for the ST600 is called LG Remote for Audio and Video. The iPhone app let's you browse quite nicely.

philip

Thanks for the reply & information Phillip, it's much appreciated.

I have the 2011 LG Smart TV & it does come with the Magic Motion remote. Unfortunately, it's cumbersome & very slow to use as a keyboard since you have to point & click at each key of the virtual keyboard on the TV. It works OK as a mouse but not for typing. LG expects owners to use the even more cumbersome IR remote with its tiny keys. IMHO neither is a very acceptable solution.

I'm actually on top of the TV Remote app fiasco - there's even a forum devoted to it. http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-fo...emote-app.html Although it appears to work on some iPhones, it doesn't on most Android devices. LG recently made some firmware changes which appear to have broken the app, then an app fix which failed. So unfortunately, unless LG can fix it, that app is near useless.

But back to the Smart TV, it does have USB ports to accept DNLA & external media supply/storage devices. I've asked Tech Support if it could be used with an external USB (not wireless) keyboard but they didn't think it could. They had no idea what so ever if a wireless setup would work. However, I've found that factory TS people only know what they've been trained for so such keyboards are not in their list of standard answers to FAQS.

In any case Phillip, I'm going to look into the Lenovo keyboard & ST600 USB port to see if they appear to be functionally alike. Do you know if there are manuals for these devices available online?

Best regards, Richard
post #12 of 134 Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckowal View Post

Thanks for the reply & information Phillip, it's much appreciated.

I have the 2011 LG Smart TV & it does come with the Magic Motion remote. Unfortunately, it's cumbersome & very slow to use as a keyboard since you have to point & click at each key of the virtual keyboard on the TV. It works OK as a mouse but not for typing. LG expects owners to use the even more cumbersome IR remote with its tiny keys. IMHO neither is a very acceptable solution.

I'm actually on top of the TV Remote app fiasco - there's even a forum devoted to it. http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-fo...emote-app.html Although it appears to work on some iPhones, it doesn't on most Android devices. LG recently made some firmware changes which appear to have broken the app, then an app fix which failed. So unfortunately, unless LG can fix it, that app is near useless.

But back to the Smart TV, it does have USB ports to accept DNLA & external media supply/storage devices. I've asked Tech Support if it could be used with an external USB (not wireless) keyboard but they didn't think it could. They had no idea what so ever if a wireless setup would work. However, I've found that factory TS people only know what they've been trained for so such keyboards are not in their list of standard answers to FAQS.

In any case Phillip, I'm going to look into the Lenovo keyboard & ST600 USB port to see if they appear to be functionally alike. Do you know if there are manuals for these devices available online?

You might want to put the Rii remote on your list also - it differs from the Lenovo by having a track pad intead of a ball, but it's also backlit which the Lenovo is not

I'm not sure if either will function on the LG box - but bothe the Rii and the Lenovo function fine on the Boxee Box

I would think if a wireless keyboard and/or mouse worked on the LG, I would think either remote would also
post #13 of 134 Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another Question is there DD 5.1 on the Netflix or only 2.0 pro logic?

Sean

Is there a way of knowing if this is available without a surround sound system?

Philip
post #14 of 134 Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 PM

GMD024, Thanks for the tips.

Best regards, Richard
post #15 of 134 Old 06-28-2011, 03:58 PM

Liked: 15
Hi: I will be getting my St-600 on Thursday(June 30th) will report back my impressions of it.
post #16 of 134 Old 06-28-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereoguy99 View Post

Hi: I will be getting my St-600 on Thursday(June 30th) will report back my impressions of it.

Looking forward to that. I think we have to wait until July 8th for Plex. It's very close to being released apparently. Until then we won't really know the full story with the ST600.

Philip
post #17 of 134 Old 06-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Looking forward to that. I think we have to wait until July 8th for Plex. It's very close to being released apparently. Until then we won't really know the full story with the ST600.

Philip

Philip: I've almost cancelled the order as with only 7 days to decide(4 a full refund) I'm quite nervous about whether it will work properly. But at the price I got it for I figure I'll give it a shot!
post #18 of 134 Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Have they indicated any features. Unlike the IOS client, I loaded the Roku client the other day and it wont even recognize my library. It only seems to do channels not library....

Sean
post #19 of 134 Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Can anyone comment how well cifs works on this unit? If it's anything wonky as my BD-390 then I'll pass. Anyone tried with Win7/Vista shares?
post #20 of 134 Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have they indicated any features. Unlike the IOS client, I loaded the Roku client the other day and it wont even recognize my library. It only seems to do channels not library....

Sean

Have you gone to the Plex Roku forums? That is a 3rd party client and the developer is very helpful. The not recognizing the media server on a PC has come up and was solved I believe.

They haven't given any info regarding the features. If it's as good as the ATV2 client then it should be great. With that client you can bypass the transcoding process much of the time.

Philip
post #21 of 134 Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

Can anyone comment how well cifs works on this unit? If it's anything wonky as my BD-390 then I'll pass. Anyone tried with Win7/Vista shares?

It works fine for me. It sees my WHS, win7 Shuttle, Mac Mini and streams fine. The one thing I wish they had was volume control, but it's no big deal.

Philip
post #22 of 134 Old 06-29-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you gone to the Plex Roku forums? That is a 3rd party client and the developer is very helpful. The not recognizing the media server on a PC has come up and was solved I believe.

They haven't given any info regarding the features. If it's as good as the ATV2 client then it should be great. With that client you can bypass the transcoding process much of the time.

Philip

It finds the server just fine. There is no library option. Just channels which is empty.... I will check out the roku forums

way worse than the IOS client which is functioanlly great but alpha level from a quality perspective. (Generally crashes 2-3 times per 2 hour movie).

Sean
post #23 of 134 Old 06-30-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@Sean

Have you tried the .71 version of the Plex client on an ATV2? It is very stable. I can't recall it crashing when playing videos, and it supports direct streaming. One of the developers has just been hired away by Apple which is interesting.

A lot depends on the version of the Plex Media server where most things are happening. The Mac version seems to be more stable.

You should be able to see your video files on the Roku. Something odd there.

BTW, you should try Air Video on your iDevices. You don't get the Plex metadata, but it is very stable.

Philip
post #24 of 134 Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the info- guess I need to learn about this Plex business.
post #25 of 134 Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For what it's worth Frys in the the LG ST600 on sale for $60. That's a pretty interesting price for a potentially very interesting player.

Philip
post #26 of 134 Old 08-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Liked: 11
I am wondering if the single USB port on the ST600 can be used with a USB hub. That would allow connecting BOTH a USB Hard drive AND a wireless keyboard dongle.

I checked in the manual available here:

http://www.lg.com/common/product/sup...ategoryIdCms=#

and on page 21 it says:

"If you use a USB extension cable, USB HUB
or USB Multi-reader, the USB device may not
be recognized."

Can anyone please confirm that only one USB device at a time can be connected to the Upgrader Box?
post #27 of 134 Old 08-11-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschallenberg View Post

I am wondering if the single USB port on the ST600 can be used with a USB hub. That would allow connecting BOTH a USB Hard drive AND a wireless keyboard dongle...
Can anyone please confirm that only one USB device at a time can be connected to the Upgrader Box?

I just tried it, and it works!

I used a WD MyBook 1TB drive along with a Verbatim 8GB USB key, plugged into 2 ports of an old D-Link 4-port USB hub (Model DUB-H4).

The two drives show up as "USB1" and "USB2" when selecting a "Smart Share" source
post #28 of 134 Old 08-13-2011, 06:09 AM

I looked all over the Net for recent reviews and descriptions of the LG ST600 Smart TV Upgrader, but found nothing useful. So I bought one for $99 at the Boucherville Costco. Here is an account of my early experiences with this device

The packaging is weird - the actual box with the ST600 inside is quite small, but it is inserted into a huge outer box - so you can more easily read all the blurbs I suppose.

Registration of the new purchase is done online at http://www.lg.com/us/support/product-registration.jsp.

Installation was no problem, except that I had to disconnect my "old" WDTV Live, whose power cord was quite tangled on my Home Theatre equipment shelf. I plugged my WD MyBook 1TB drive into the single USB port, and the HDMI output into the third input on my Panasonic 46" Plasma TV. There is a little light on the front corner of the ST600 that glows red when it is powered down, and blue when you power it on from the tiny remote control.

It complained that there was no network connection, and popped up the wireless setup dialogue. Once having selected my wireless access point and entering my password, it provides a reassuring connection test.

The next thing it did was offer a firmware update from .121f to .173f, which it automatically discovered was available online. Like so many other Canadian users, the update over wifi failed repeatedly. I tried downloading the .168f firmware from the LG product support site and loading it onto a USB key. But the device didn't seem to be able to "see" the newer firmware on the USB key.

At this point I initiated a live chat with an LG Tech Support guy named "noris". He had me unplug and re-plug the power several times, with and without the USB key inserted. The update kept failing. "noris" said he would have to refer my problem to "the engineers", and he asked me for my address and email address, etc. But as soon as he realized I was in Québec, he ended the chat abruptly - they are only supposed to help US customers!

Fortunately, the ST600 eventually found and completed the update to the .173f firmware. I can only assume that LG's file server was at fault.

I decided to use Wired Networking to avoid any speed limit imposed by my 802.11g wifi network. The Ethernet cable runs to a nearby wireless router, then through a Homeplug connection to my main wireless router at the other end of the apartment. The wired network setup on the ST600 went without problem, and once again there was a reassuring confirmation that the connection was OK.

I have a 1TB WD MyBook USB Drive with lots of movies and photos on it, that I had been using with the WDTV Live. But since I hope to eventually use the USB port on the ST600 for a wireless keyboard/mouse, I decided to connect an old D-Link 4-port USB hub to the USB port, and connected the 1TB drive and an 8GB USB key into two of the ports on the hub. Sure enough, the two drives showed up as USB1 and USB2.

The tiny Remote control is easy to use for most functions, the exception being for mousing around in the web browser. There are handy shortcut buttons for Back, Home and context Menu, as well as four special-purpose context-sensitive function buttons, depending on which main function you are using.

There are three main functions on the Home screen - Premium, Web Browser and Smart Share. I will describe their usage below.

Left Panel - Premium
This is where LG has grouped subscription services. Included in this Canadian version are:
VTuner - This is a web radio service that lets you listen for free to gazillions of internet radio stations
MLB - Something to do with baseball, I think
NHL - Something to do with hockey, I think.
YouTube - Well, it lets you search, but not login to your account. The quality is excellent, though.
Vimeo - Another free video upload/streaming service similar to Youtube. I haven't played with it yet.
Netflix - I didn't have a Netflix account, but the LG app directed me to the web page where I quickly created my account, and the LG app almost instantly registered my ST600, and I could immediately use the service. From my initial scanning of their content, I think Netflix Canada is a keeper.
Viewster - This is a recent streaming movie startup similar to Netflix, but it is free in its initial stage. I registered a free account online (viewster.com) and I can watch some free movies. I'm not sure what the selection will be like, compared to Netflix.
Accuweather - This is a free weather service where you select your locations(s) from a list and it displays current conditions, a map, and a seven-day forecast.
Picasa - Google's free online photo hosting service.
Funspot - a few onscreen games.
Tou.tv - Radio-Canada's collection of previously-aired programs.

Second panel - Web Browser
You are presented with three tabs - URL, Favorites and History. On the URL page, you enter the web address using the popup onscreen keyboard. And that is easier said than done. You have to use the "touchpad" on the remote to move the onscreen mouse cursor over each key to be entered, followed by a press of the Select (centre) key. And I find moving the cursor is extremely touchy and frustrating. I sure hope I can add a wireless keyboard and mouse to this ST600 real soon. Once you enter a URL, you wait. It's pretty slow compared to other browsers I have used on Android tablets, for example. Page loading is indicated by a blue progress bar at the top of the screen, and sometimes the blue bar just stops midway. Once a page is loaded, you use the mouse cursor to select links and to activate the onscreen keyboard for text entry like logins and search items. That is excruciating - but maybe I'll get used to it. I don't think I will enjoy browsing the Web with the ST600.

On the right, the Smart Share panel is where you access local media - classified as Movie, Photo and Music. When you select a media type, you are presented with a list of possible sources - USB, Media servers, network shares, etc. In my case I have a number of servers (TVersity, Twonky, Playon) set up on my XP desktop PC as well as some shared folders. The ST600 sees them all, but I have not had time to compare how each performs through the ST600.

Also in the Smart Share panel is MediaLink (Plex). This is a free media server program that you install on your PC (Windows, Mac). It finds your media in folders on the machine where it is installed, and organizes them, including finding posters and descriptions, for display on the LG Smart TVs, including the Upgrader. Plex makes a lot of errors in matching my poorly-ogranized video files, but it allows you to correct them on the server program.

The Plex Online button lets you add "Plugins" for online streaming channels like Revision3, TED Talks, etc.

In conclusion, the LG ST600 does most of what it claims to do, and it will likely get better as some of the kinks get ironed out - especially with the firmware update process and with the web browser. I don't regret ripping out my WDTV Live.
post #29 of 134 Old 08-13-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the detailed account of your initial use of the ST600. I have a Lenovo multimedia keyboard hooked up to it. This is wireless with a built in trackball. It makes the browser better, but it's still a bit frustrating using it. I didn't find browsing that slow, but the pointer doesn't seem to be as snappy as it should be.

On September 9 there is supposed to be a major firmware upgrade of the ST600. One thing they will finally fix is Plex. For now both mkv and avi containers do not work with Plex.

Philip
post #30 of 134 Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 AM

One thing that puzzles me about the ST600 is that it does not show as a share on my Windows network.

With my WDTV Live, the attached USB drive would appear as a file server, and I could copy and move and stream media files to and from the WDTV Live.

With the ST600, even though it can "see" the other Windows shares and play files from them, it does not appear as a Windows share itself.

Is this a shortcoming of the ST600, or is there something I can do to have it show up?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Lg St600 Smart Tv Upgrader With Digital Streaming And Internet Services
Gear in this thread - St600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page