MOCA Networking and Comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I switched fairly recently from Uverse to Comcast. Overall, the switch has been alright, but my networking has taken a hit as a result. I rent and am unable to run coax through the house. (When I buy sometime next year, this will change!!) With Uverse, their STBs had a hot RJ-46 port I was able to use to get a fairly solid network going out the living room with minimal fuss.

With Comcast, though they have a similar port, it is not "hot". They did provided the free wireless N router, but it's just not as solid as my old Uverse network was. I'm seeing buffering occasionally even on higher bit-rate DVD rips. I shudder to think how it would hold up should I try anything high def.

So I've looked at a few options. I could conceivably get a high end, dual-band N router, and this MIGHT improve the situation. My living room is very close to where the Comcast modem/router are, so it COULD work.

Another option I'm looking at is a MOCA network. I can get the Netgear kit right now for right around $100, which includes 2 MOCA boxes, which is all I would really need. I've been trying to do my Google diligence and see if and how it would work with my Comcast modem, but I'm having a hard time finding any solid info on how well it works.

Is anyone here using a MOCA network with Comcast? Is it reliable? How easy is it to set up? Do I also need some special splitters or something to that effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I use Moca with Comcast, it works awesome. I get the full 100mbps between the two adapters. Streams full BD rips with no issues.

There is no setup with Moca. Just plug them in and your done.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, sounds nice. Can you explain how it hooks up on the cable modem end? My cable modem is in my office, and right now is hooked to the wireless router. Did you have to put in some kind of splitter or something?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

Wow, sounds nice. Can you explain how it hooks up on the cable modem end? My cable modem is in my office, and right now is hooked to the wireless router. Did you have to put in some kind of splitter or something?

I also use Moca with Comcast (San Francisco). You need to split the cable and one goes to the modem and one to the Moca router. Then Ethernet goes from the modem to the Wan port on your primary router (which might be the Moca router). If you use a separate primary router (as I do) then you run another Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the primary router to a LAN port on the Moca router.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

No splitter needed. Just plug the cox from the wall into the Moca adapter then from the Moca adapter to the cable modem. The Moca adapter has a cox in and cox output.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane
No splitter needed. Just plug the cox from the wall into the Moca adapter then from the Moca adapter to the cable modem. The Moca adapter has a cox in and cox output.
True, if your Moca adapter has both in and out coax then no splitter is needed. I was thinking of my MI424WR which has only in.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Liked: 11
I use moca with comcast. I had issues afterupgrading one of my hd boxes and now need to use diplexers. I was getting dropouts on HD video after the upgrade.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

True, if your Moca adapter has both in and out coax then no splitter is needed. I was thinking of my MI424WR which has only in.

oh, ok. I have the Netgear kit which has coax input and output.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
I also use Moca with Comcast (San Francisco). You need to split the cable and one goes to the modem and one to the Moca router. Then Ethernet goes from the modem to the Wan port on your primary router (which might be the Moca router). If you use a separate primary router (as I do) then you run another Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the primary router to a LAN port on the Moca router.
Hi ScottJ,

Could you please post the steps you used for setting MI424WR as your primary router.

I followed the thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=mi424wr and it mentioned disbaling the coax port.

It didn't work for me. Also i didn't use a Splitter or diplexer to connect to the Actiontec coax as that is disabled.

thanks
mars
Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars76

Hi ScottJ,

Could you please post the steps you used for setting MI424WR as your primary router.

I followed the thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=mi424wr and it mentioned disbaling the coax port.

It didn't work for me. Also i didn't use a Splitter or diplexer to connect to the Actiontec coax as that is disabled.

thanks
mars
I don't use the Actiontec as my primary router. I followed that same thread. It does not say to disable the coax -- that makes no sense as the entire purpose of that thread is to explain how to use the Actiontec for Moca which uses coax.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Hi,

I am able to connect to Internet using a LAN Port from Actiontec connected to my laptop.

How ever when i try the 192.168.1.x then it doesn't show up the Admin Screen !!

I want to enable the wireless on Actiontec and now i cannot enable that settings..

Thanks..
mars
Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM

I'm using MoCA with Comcast as we speak without any problems. It's all good here. I'm using several Actiontec ECB2500 adapters connecting a PS3, the rest of my network, several TiVo Premiere's and MoCA enabled TiVo Premiere 4 and am not having not one ounce of trouble with heavy duty 1080p uncompressed and 4K uncompressed streaming. What I did was disconnect the coax cable going into my cable modem and attach it to the coax in on one of the adapters then connect a coax cable from the coax out on the same adapter to the coax in on the cable modem. Connected an Ethernet cable to the same adapter and into the router and applied power. I've used the standard Antronix CMC3004H and CMC3002H 5Mhz-1002Mhz splitters Comcast uses without a problem, and I've used the standard Extreme Broadband Engineering BDS104H and BDS102H 5Mhz-1002Mhz splitters Comcast uses and also have not had any problems. cool.gif No need for diplexers, no problems with set top box upgrades no dropouts, everything works perfectly well together.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, old thread! smile.gif I did use MOCA with Comcast for a time and it worked out well. I did buy a house last year, however, and now have a hard wired Gigabit network. smile.gif
Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 AM

Any help would be appreciated, I have the following setup.  2 ECB2500 actiontec adapters, one in my bedroom where my cable modem is and one in the living room where I'm hoping one day to have my Roku 3 and/or Xbox One connected.  Here is my setup, in the bedroom I have the coax coming from the wall into the moca adapter (coax in).  Then I have another coax (coax out) from the adapter to the the cable modem (Comcast) and a ethernet cable from the modem into the moca adapter.  I can get internet on the PC in my bedroom BUT when I look at the MOCA adapter all lights are on but the coax light. 

The other adapter I have hooked up in the living room, I have the coax from the wall coming into the coax in of the adapter then I have tried the following:  ethernet from the adapter into my Roku 3.  I get all lights on except the coax on the adapter and when I try to setup the Roku 3 through wired connection it's supposed to go through 3 checks (wired network, local network and internet).  It sees the wired network but then does not see the local network and just errors out saying it can't find a connection.  I then tried to put the ethernet into my Xbox One and I'm able to log into my account, browse the game/app store, download games and/or apps, browse the Internet (there is a Internet Explorer) BUT I can't play any multiplayer games.  I tried 3 different games and they all say I don't have a network connection when I try to go into the multiplayer section.  I'm really at a loss on what is going on.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by taomaster99 View Post

Any help would be appreciated, I have the following setup.  2 ECB2500 actiontec adapters, one in my bedroom where my cable modem is and one in the living room where I'm hoping one day to have my Roku 3 and/or Xbox One connected.  Here is my setup, in the bedroom I have the coax coming from the wall into the moca adapter (coax in).  Then I have another coax (coax out) from the adapter to the the cable modem (Comcast) and a ethernet cable from the modem into the moca adapter.  I can get internet on the PC in my bedroom BUT when I look at the MOCA adapter all lights are on but the coax light.

The other adapter I have hooked up in the living room, I have the coax from the wall coming into the coax in of the adapter then I have tried the following:  ethernet from the adapter into my Roku 3.  I get all lights on except the coax on the adapter and when I try to setup the Roku 3 through wired connection it's supposed to go through 3 checks (wired network, local network and internet).  It sees the wired network but then does not see the local network and just errors out saying it can't find a connection.  I then tried to put the ethernet into my Xbox One and I'm able to log into my account, browse the game/app store, download games and/or apps, browse the Internet (there is a Internet Explorer) BUT I can't play any multiplayer games.  I tried 3 different games and they all say I don't have a network connection when I try to go into the multiplayer section.  I'm really at a loss on what is going on.

How are you feeding the PC in the bedroom?  It should look like this:

• Coax cable from Comcast into MoCA adapter.
  • Coax cable from MoCA adapter to cable modem.
  • Ethernet cable from cable modem to router input.
  • Ethernet out from router to MoCA adapter.
  • Ethernet out from router to PC.

From your description, you're missing the router.  Without the router, you don't have a network.

In your living room:

• Coax cable to MoCA adapter.
  • Ethernet from MoCA adapter to device.
  • Coax out from MoCA adapter can feed a TV, DVR, set-top box, etc.

If you want to run or hook up more than one device from the living room MoCA adapter, plug the Ethernet cable from the MoCA adapter into a switch.

Don't forget to use a MoCA POE filter from the Comcast entry point otherwise your data stream is going to feed your neighborhood.

taomaster99 likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

How are you feeding the PC in the bedroom?  It should look like this:

• Coax cable from Comcast into MoCA adapter.
  • Coax cable from MoCA adapter to cable modem.
  • Ethernet cable from cable modem to router input.
  • Ethernet out from router to MoCA adapter.
  • Ethernet out from router to PC.

From your description, you're missing the router.  Without the router, you don't have a network.

In your living room:

• Coax cable to MoCA adapter.
  • Ethernet from MoCA adapter to device.
  • Coax out from MoCA adapter can feed a TV, DVR, set-top box, etc.

If you want to run or hook up more than one device from the living room MoCA adapter, plug the Ethernet cable from the MoCA adapter into a switch.

Don't forget to use a MoCA POE filter from the Comcast entry point otherwise your data stream is going to feed your neighborhood.

That's how I have it hooked up but the only difference is the router and modem are one in the same (one box).  So there is no dedicated Ethernet port, they are just numbered 1-4 (I did try all the ports individually just now but same result).  I did just notice that the Ethernet cable going from the MoCA adapter into the cable modem/router has a amber light, the Ethernet cable going from the router/modem into my PC has a green light though.  Thanks for the help!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's how I have it hooked up but the only difference is the router and modem are one in the same (one box). So there is no dedicated Ethernet port, they are just numbered 1-4 (I did try all the ports individually just now but same result). I did just notice that the Ethernet cable going from the MoCA adapter into the cable modem/router has a amber light, the Ethernet cable going from the router/modem into my PC has a green light though. Thanks for the help!

Maybe check the Ethernet cable from the modem to the MoCA adapter; maybe swap it with the one you're using for the PC connection as you know that cable is good.  It's possible you have a bad cable.  You could also trade out the MoCA adapter for the one in the living room to possibily rule out a bad MoCA adapter or connection on the adaptor.

You could also try this:

Disconnect all the cables from the MoCA adapter including power.  You can leave the power on the modem.

• First Connect the Ethernet cable between the modem and the MoCA adapter.
  • Connect the coax out from the MoCA adapter to the input on modem.
  • Connect the input coax to the MoCA adapter.
  • Connect the power to the MoCA adapter and power on.

The point here is to power up the MoCA adapter last to make a hand shake between the modem]router and the adapter.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 PM

Ok, tried changing the cable and switching the adapters and that didn't work.  Also tried the disconnecting the adapter at my modem and following your steps and still nothing BUT I just realized something when I was doing that.  I stated before that at my cable modem/router I had the coax from the wall going into the coax in into the MoCA modem, that was incorrect.  I actually have the coax from the wall going into the coax out of the MoCA adapter and then the coax cable from the modem/router going into the coax in of the MoCA adapter which is the opposite of the instructions it comes with (and the setup instructions I've seen online on this and other forums).  I did try it the normal way (coax from wall into the coax in of the adapter then coax out from the adapter into the modem/router) but I don't get an internet connection when I have it setup that way.  The US/DS option on my modem/router just flashes and I don't get a connection.  NOW I'm really confused!!!

I had emailed Actiontec support and they just got back to me and said to make sure the splitter for the internet is rated for 2ghz, I'm assuming this is outside at the box.  Does that sound right?  I'm not using any splitters inside.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, tried changing the cable and switching the adapters and that didn't work.  Also tried the disconnecting the adapter at my modem and following your steps and still nothing BUT I just realized something when I was doing that.  I stated before that at my cable modem/router I had the coax from the wall going into the coax in into the MoCA modem, that was incorrect.  I actually have the coax from the wall going into the coax out of the MoCA adapter and then the coax cable from the modem/router going into the coax in of the MoCA adapter which is the opposite of the instructions it comes with (and the setup instructions I've seen online on this and other forums).  I did try it the normal way (coax from wall into the coax in of the adapter then coax out from the adapter into the modem/router) but I don't get an internet connection when I have it setup that way.  The US/DS option on my modem/router just flashes and I don't get a connection.  NOW I'm really confused!!!

I had emailed Actiontec support and they just got back to me and said to make sure the splitter for the internet is rated for 2ghz, I'm assuming this is outside at the box.  Does that sound right?  I'm not using any splitters inside.

Yes, for sure you have to have the coax cable coming from you cable company going to the input of the MoCA adapter.  The output of the MoCA coax then goes to the cable input of the modem.  And then the Ethernet from your modem/router back to the MoCA adapter.

Coax from provider --> MoCA adapter cable input --> coax from MoCA adapter output to cable modem; you should be able to get internet to your PC now by connecting an Ethernet cable from the modem/router to the PC.  Does this work?

Next, Ethernet from cable modem/router --> to MoCA adapter.  This connection would supply the internet connection to down stream MoCA adapters.

Regarding splitters, yes, that would probably be the next place to look.  If a splitter is installed that doesn't support the bandwidth you will block the signal.  Also you can't have any amplifier in the path between MoCA devices as it will block the signal.  You should check at your cable entry point to see if you have splitters.  The supported bandwidth should be printed on the splitter.

User Tag List