Computer Controlled Media Player and Reciever - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-24-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This question is may be way off topic but I can't seem to get a response from the other forum group. Also, this group seems to be a little more computer savvy than the reciever section:

Is there a receiver that you can connect to your network and have complete control over the reciever from a PC connected to the same network? I know more and more receivers are now capable of being controlled directly via an iPod or iPad so I would assume this is not an unreasonable feature. Also, I would assume a receiver with this capability would also be capable of streaming audio from the Internet or a server. Also, do any of the media streamers allow you to have complete control remotely from a PC?

I know a lot of receivers or iPhone and iPod capable. But I want control from a PC.

ÂA respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingersÂ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoover View Post

This question is may be way off topic but I can't seem to get a response from the other forum group. Also, this group seems to be a little more computer savvy than the reciever section:

Is there a receiver that you can connect to your network and have complete control over the reciever from a PC connected to the same network? I know more and more receivers are now capable of being controlled directly via an iPod or iPad so I would assume this is not an unreasonable feature. Also, I would assume a receiver with this capability would also be capable of streaming audio from the Internet or a server. Also, do any of the media streamers allow you to have complete control remotely from a PC?

I know a lot of receivers or iPhone and iPod capable. But I want control from a PC.

I know that many of the pre/pro and avr recievers are capable of computer control either via rs-232 or ethernet. I have experience with the Onkyo and Integra lines. Both of these are capable of control via either method. There are even ipod/ipad/android apps made to do so. You can also send commands directly via a web interface.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Yes, of course. Not sure what your budget is but I have a Marantz AV7005 (love this beast) that does exactly what you asking giving me pretty much total control from my PC. I can even turn the receiver on from the PC since it has network standby. Plus I can control from my Android phone so if I want to listen to Pandora all the display information shows on my phone or the PC. I'm pretty sure with the latest line of receivers there should be others that can fit your need.
post #4 of 17 Old 06-24-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

I know that many of the pre/pro and avr recievers are capable of computer control either via rs-232 or ethernet. I have experience with the Onkyo and Integra lines. Both of these are capable of control via either method. There are even ipod/ipad/android apps made to do so. You can also send commands directly via a web interface.

I get the RS-232. But that is more for the high-end remote control programmers.

I need something so I can have complete control over the reciever from a PC/laptop downstairs/outside while the receiver is upstairs/inside. I need to be a able to control input selection, volume, on / off etc. Nothing I see in any of the product literature leads me to believe that any recievers are yet capable of this via a network connection. (yes, you can control some things via and iPhone or iPad. If you can do the iPad thing, why can't you do it via PC?)

ÂA respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingersÂ
post #5 of 17 Old 06-24-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I get the RS-232. But that is more for the high-end remote control programmers.

I need something so I can have complete control over the reciever from a PC/laptop downstairs/outside while the receiver is upstairs/inside. I need to be a able to control input selection, volume, on / off etc. Nothing I see in any of the product literature leads me to believe that any recievers are yet capable of this via a network connection. (yes, you can control some things via and iPhone or iPad. If you can do the iPad thing, why can't you do it via PC?)

You can control Integra and Onkyo products via ethernet or rs-232. Using either interface, you can control from a computer. You can find the command list document under the integra and onkyo threads of this board.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't think any receivers can do what you want. I'm not talking about simple volume down/up commands either. I would LOVE to see a receiver with a full blown web interface for a complete control via web browser. Not just a few simple commands. I think all hardware be it audio/video will go this way. Now that all you need is a tablet or ipad for a web interface.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-25-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

I don't think any receivers can do what you want. I'm not talking about simple volume down/up commands either. I would LOVE to see a receiver with a full blown web interface for a complete control via web browser. Not just a few simple commands. I think all hardware be it audio/video will go this way. Now that all you need is a tablet or ipad for a web interface.

I am going to be blue in the face... the Onkyo/Integra line does this right now.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-25-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

I am going to be blue in the face... the Onkyo/Integra line does this right now.

I am not sure about html interface, but lots of receivers/pre-pros have some way to control them...
  • Denon (ci series)
  • Lexicon
  • Yamaha
  • etc...

even if they only have rs-232, you can hook them up to a little HA server PC and then just use your laptop to log into that and control the receiver...
not to mention, with a HA server PC running you could do so much more...
look into these for some fun things to do:
CQC
ML
Elve
Girder
Eventghost

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #9 of 17 Old 06-26-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:

The iPod apps are typically just a fancy front end. Receivers that supported iPod apps will also have a web interface that will allow you to do the same thing with a web browser. I believe that most AVR built after 2008/9 with network capability can be controlled this way. I know that Yamaha and Denon AVRs can be controlled with a browser.

veni, vidi, vici
You can't understand something until you can measure it with numbers.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecubed View Post

I know that Yamaha and Denon AVRs can be controlled with a browser.

Really? I dont see any mention of that in the literature or any referece to a browser interface. I would like to preview that before I drop down the cash.

post #11 of 17 Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Really? I dont see any mention of that in the literature or any referece to a browser interface. I would like to preview that before I drop down the cash.
There is a brief description of Yamaha's feature here under "Yamaha Web Control Center".
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...-configuration
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V390.../dp/B001E5CDRS
I think that recent implementations even allow you to backup the configuration of your receiver.

In addition to the web server, Yamaha also have an application called Receiver Manager that let you control pretty much everything.

veni, vidi, vici
post #12 of 17 Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Holly crap, complete network control of your receiver?

First off the rest of u gotta stop saying rs-232. That's so 20 century, u buy a PC/laptop today, it doesn't come with rs-232 interface OK. It's obsolete.

Now can I download power consumption, power delivered to speakers, clipping historygram, temperature readings from my receiver?

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #13 of 17 Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Those are a little bit pricey for what I'm looking for. But, it's good to know that the technology is starting to make it into consumer products. If this would work its way into all the products (BPs, receivers, media players, etc.) it would seem like it would make it easier to automate and control everything with out having to deal with gateways, IR codes, RS 232, RF remotes, etc..

post #14 of 17 Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an Denon CI model and doesn't have any kind of web interface. Like I said, I'm talking about FULL control. Not just the basic commands. Maybe I'm not explaining it properly but to this day I don't know of any receiver that has an Ethernet port and a built-in web interface.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-27-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Those are a little bit pricey for what I'm looking for. But, it's good to know that the technology is starting to make it into consumer products. If this would work its way into all the products (BPs, receivers, media players, etc.) it would seem like it would make it easier to automate and control everything with out having to deal with gateways, IR codes, RS 232, RF remotes, etc..

Receivers in the $600 range have these features now. The Yamaha RX-V671 can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

I have an Denon CI model and doesn't have any kind of web interface. Like I said, I'm talking about FULL control. Not just the basic commands. Maybe I'm not explaining it properly but to this day I don't know of any receiver that has an Ethernet port and a built-in web interface.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...-a-web-browser

Denon has been doing this since the xx06 models.

Page 68 of the Denon 2112 has a brief description of this.
http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...CD-ROM_v00.pdf
Page 66 of the Denon 1912 has a brief description of this.
http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...al_AVR1912.pdf

The Yamaha Receiver Manager software allows you to send, over Ethernet, all RS-232 commands that custom installers use to integrate AV systems. You just need to search for this in the Yamaha threads. You can even download and run it on your PC without owning a Yamaha receiver to see what the software can do.

veni, vidi, vici
post #16 of 17 Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Now can I download power consumption, power delivered to speakers, clipping historygram, temperature readings from my receiver?

No reason it shouldnt be able to! The dang thing has some kind of computer in there doing all kind of things!!

post #17 of 17 Old 06-28-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I use the Dune media players with an Integra pre/pro and both are computer and ipad controlled.

Dune even showed at CES a firmware update that they are working on to do home automation via z-wave directly on their media player.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page