Best & Cheapest way to Stream MKV files to my TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched but couldn't find...

I used to use Samsungs DLNA Server to stream MKV files to my TV but I just recently upgraded and got surround sound. I'm using the NeoHD Receiver made by Yamaha just because I needed something small and nice.

Now that I'm using that I can't use DLNA from my TV and use surround sound at the same time. So I'm stuck. I went out and bought a Roku without doing enough research to realize that it doesn't play MKV's while streaming. So that's crossed out. I believe now there's only the Boxee and WD TV Live. I work at Bestbuy so I'm not sure what kind of a discount I get on the two, but which one would be better? Which would have more features? Are those two my only options left to do what I need to do?

I mainly just want to stream MKV. Netflix would be nice also but not a necessity. That's it. I wanted to stay under $100, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Any help is always a big help, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisum View Post

I searched but couldn't find...

I used to use Samsungs DLNA Server to stream MKV files to my TV but I just recently upgraded and got surround sound. I'm using the NeoHD Receiver made by Yamaha just because I needed something small and nice.

Now that I'm using that I can't use DLNA from my TV and use surround sound at the same time. So I'm stuck. I went out and bought a Roku without doing enough research to realize that it doesn't play MKV's while streaming. So that's crossed out. I believe now there's only the Boxee and WD TV Live. I work at Bestbuy so I'm not sure what kind of a discount I get on the two, but which one would be better? Which would have more features? Are those two my only options left to do what I need to do?

I mainly just want to stream MKV. Netflix would be nice also but not a necessity. That's it. I wanted to stay under $100, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Any help is always a big help, thanks!

there's literally dozens of streamers that'll do MKV and 5.1, plenty under $100.

Do you care about HD audio? Do you care about other formats?

If not and you really just want regular 5.1/MKV playback there's tons of options... this guy for example-
http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Office.../dp/B002Q4U9PY

$79.99 shipped.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

I figured for 10 bucks more I could get the WD Live TV (Not the hub) with more features. I got that for about 89 from Bestbuy. Thanks though!
post #4 of 6 Old 07-09-2011, 10:59 PM

PBO on Newegg is $49 right now after MIR.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-10-2011, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have to agree - the PBO is probably the best media box for the money right now (for the features it offers) - I have my 3rd one being delivered in a couple of days - and at the AR price of $50 in the US - it's hard to believe when it was 1st shipping towards the end of 2009 it was selling for $150 and no rebates were offered at that time either - in Canada it's been as low as $37.50 AR
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2011, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you have a PS3, you can use PS3mediaserver. Works wonderfully.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page