AVS Forum banner

Software to rip full screen to widescreen, also embed subtitles?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mlknez 
#1 ·
Hi

Excuse me if this is a dumb question as I'm new to this, but I am trying to rip some older DVD's and I want the rip to be widescreen.

I don't mean black at the top and bottom, I just want to video to display "full" on a 16:9 TV without the side black bars.

I tried Handbrake and I can't seem to do that.

Also, is it possible to embed subtitles in the video file? Which software can handle all this?

BTW, my player does not seem to like MP4 files and the stream constantly stops. Maybe I am ripping it wrong, but I would prefer to rip to something more supported like DivX or Xvid.

Would appreciate any help, thank you.

See less See more
#4 ·
Many players have different "zoom modes" to accomodate this type of preference. This capability has been around since the first HD digital streamer appeared in 2001.

#5 ·
It will be played on a Samsung blu-ray player via wireless streaming over DLNA.

For some reason when I click the zoom option it says something like Operation not available.

So I'm thinking to rip them somehow that is already widescreen but hopefully won't look too distorted.

#6 ·
Ahh, you are using a disc player not a streamer.... a disc transport trying to use dlna for streaming = all bets are off. You are trying to drill a hole with a hammer.

#7 ·
Lesson learned big time. From day one I thought this device could do it all but it's sooo limited. Next time I'm definitely going with a streamer like popcorn box or build a HTPC.

But in the meantime, I'm not trying to disc transport (assuming that means playing an ISO). I just want to rip some of the DVD's into AVI files but would want them to display full 16:9, and some of them I need to embed subtitles to the AVI (using the disc I see subtitles but when I ripped them on Handbrake it's missing).

I'm wondering if anyone knows any software on the top of their head that can remove the side black bars and embed subtitles?

Thanks.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_a
I'm wondering if anyone knows any software on the top of their head that can remove the side black bars and embed subtitles?
there are no black bars on the side of any video...

they are added by your player or TV at time of playback... just tell your equipment to stop adding them...

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost
there are no black bars on the side of any video...

they are added by your player or TV at time of playback... just tell your equipment to stop adding them...
Right, but unfortunately I cannot seem to do that with my player. When I use a disc I have the option to stretch it out and other zoom options. Over DLNA streaming such options do not seem to function.

So I'm thinking if I could stretch the AVI file I rip I won't see the black bars. Because some of the DVD's I ripped that are 16:9 appear fine. It's some of the older ones that I need to "stretch". Hope this makes sense.

Or am I way off still?

#11 ·
Hmm, thanks but that seems a lot of work to view certain files and I don't think some of my family members would be able to do all that.

I don't mean any disrespect, I do appreciate members time and free advice given on forums, but come on guys - I'm asking specifically about software to rip and convert dvd's into a file format that can be viewed fully on a 16:9 tv.

After more searching it seems "VirtualDub" might be able to do it, I'm gonna give it a shot. Perhaps it can also do the subtitles too.

#12 ·
What your asking for requires encoding, resizing and cropping the video which will result in a messed up aspect ratio depending upon the content as even widescreen material comes in different aspect ratios but if your fine with that then...

In Handbrake

* Leave cropping at automatic

* On Picture tab set anamorphic to "none"

* Disable keep aspect ratio

* Set the desired 16:9 aspect ratio e.g 768x432 or 1024x576

#13 ·
Just like Alx330 said... You will have to re-encode the DVD to crop.

I did this very same thing for the original star wars trilogy, you know the original, non-lucafied version where Han shot first.

This version was only offered on laserdisk or on the 2nd discs of some releases.

They had hard-burned black bars on both top/bottom formatted for 4:3, so on widescreen there were bars on all sides lol.

I used DVD rebuilder: http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=75

But I am sure there are easier ways to do it now.

#14 ·
you can also used DVDFab to do this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.