Popcorn Hour A-210 vs. Dune Dune HD Smart H1 for 3D movies - AVS Forum
Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > Popcorn Hour A-210 vs. Dune Dune HD Smart H1 for 3D movies
Vancomycin's Avatar Vancomycin 04:08 PM 07-13-2011
I have several 3D movies in .mkv and .iso container/format. The .iso is actually made from the actual 3D blu-ray disc and it has a large size while the .mkv 3D files are SBS (side by side) 3D files.

If I have a Toshiba - 55TL515U 240 hz LED 55" HDTV that does passive 3D, which media player should I buy ( Popcorn Hour A-210 vs. Dune Dune HD Smart H1 ) to be able to view my 3D .mkv/.iso with great 3D visuals ? Both the Dune and the Popcorn hour can play back .iso file so I don't know if they can output 3D visual to those 3D .iso files that I have. Any input on this?

I look at the specs for both devices and found that they support 3D but I am not sure which one would provide better 3D quality.

The Dune Dune HD Smart H1 is actually $50 more expensive than the Popcorn Hour A-210.

mlknez's Avatar mlknez 08:44 PM 07-13-2011
Video is the same... Audio is in the Dune's favor
lmaolmao's Avatar lmaolmao 03:57 AM 07-14-2011
depends on the format of your 3d .mkv/.iso

both will play SBS fine, but not sure about retail (MVC encoded) 3dblurays.
perchancetodream's Avatar perchancetodream 04:23 AM 07-14-2011
I thought HDMI 1.4 was a hardware requirement for 3-D.
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 04:24 AM 07-14-2011
As lmaolmao mentioned, SBS 3D mkv/ISO will play fine on both. However, neither can play Blu-Ray 3D (i.e MVC).

The only advantage the PCH has over the Dune is that the PCH can send out a signal t o your receiver/TV to auto switch into 3D mode (I have confirmed this works). With the Dune you will need to manually switch your TV over
Amber Ale's Avatar Amber Ale 05:00 AM 10-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Video is the same... Audio is in the Dune's favor

Is video really the same, even on a large projector screen?
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 05:01 AM 10-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

Is video really the same, even on a large projector screen?

Video is the same (both Dune and PCH use same Sigma chip). However, the OP asked about Blu-ray 3Ds which neither player will play
DrGekko's Avatar DrGekko 12:33 PM 11-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


Video is the same (both Dune and PCH use same Sigma chip). However, the OP asked about Blu-ray 3Ds which neither player will play

Hi - what does this mean in that case in the specification listing for Dune Smart HD H1:

"RealD: watch 3D video in this ultra modern format used in cinema for the latest movies."

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/16
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 05:12 AM 11-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGekko View Post

Hi - what does this mean in that case in the specification listing for Dune Smart HD H1:

"RealD: watch 3D video in this ultra modern format used in cinema for the latest movies."

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/16

Yeah, this confuses some people, but Real3D is not the same as Blu Ray 3d. You can play back 3D on the Dune Smarts but they have to be in a specific format (half side by side or top/bottom)
Up
Mobile  Desktop