post #391 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What was wrong with the Pandora Channel? I'm assuming you mean the Roku2 and that the Roku3 wasn't just released.
But with Pandora on the Roku2 it should sound identical to Pandora from other devices.

Oops, yeah, I meant Roku 2 Actually, though, more experimentation this morning led me to realize that the audio issue (like the connection issue) was due to another link in the chain, this time an old switcher I had put in to allow me to hook the Roku and a DVD player to the old SDTV.

Rocky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
You know which music service I find to sound relatively exceptional on the Roku? Anything played through TuneIn Radio.

I listen to a few Shoutcast stations regularly, and I do it through that now, and they sound a lot better. I actually don't get fatigued at all listening to them now.

It's a lot fuller, richer and more evenly-balanced, compared to the others. Sounds the closest to analog to me, actually. Bass is rich and clear, as is the sound in general (not harsh or bright in any way), and unlike most of the others, it actually has very good midrange.

This is my opinion, with my ears and setup, of course, so YMMV.
post #393 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have Pandora on my receiver and find the quality to be much lower than many of the internet radio stations that I listen to. Thus, I do not think Pandora music quality it is a problem with the Roku. As a result, I don't use it on my receiver, and work blocks it, so I don't use it any more.

If you haven't checked out somafm, do so, they are available on the Roku.

www.rokuguide.com/channels/somafm
post #394 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I don't want to be negative here as I know very little about the Roku. Could someone tell me what the point is? Is it price? Plex? Netflix, etc .,, (there seem to be quite a few players, game machines, TV's, etc ... that access those).

It runs a low powered Broadcom SoC. Only has wired Ethernet with the top model.

What does it do that other players can't do?

Thanks ... Philip

PS: Please don't take this as a knock against it. It seems neat, I am just not sure why.
post #395 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

If you haven't checked out somafm, do so, they are available on the Roku.

Yes, from my experience, Soma also has better-than-average SQ. However, they only have so many of their own, proprietary channels. But I will say that many of them are very, very good, and I do get in the mood to listen to them occasionally. Certain "ethereal" style to their presentation on a lot of their channels, and they do play a lot of relatively-unknown, but fantastic stuff (and mix it very well with more "known" stuff).
post #396 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I like the Roku 2 XS for Netflix because it has very low power, silent operation, does adaptive streaming, and is simple and reliable.

On my main TV I have 4 devices that do Netflix (Ruko2, TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360), but the Roku2 XS the one I always use. If the TiVo was more reliable, I would have stuck with that - but I was having problems with re-buffering and got sick of it pausing. Plus the Tivo Netflix interface is bare-bones. The PS3 doesn't have IR so I couldn't use the Harmony One remote, and I haven't got the Logitech IR converter yet. The Xbox360 has an audible fan running that I don't like to hear when watching a movie. Plus, both the game machines have a interface that needs to be navigated to get to Netflix.

Some of those are minor preferences, but I don't regret getting the Roku2 XS.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #397 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:

I don't want to be negative here as I know very little about the Roku. Could someone tell me what the point is? Is it price? Plex? Netflix, etc .,, (there seem to be quite a few players, game machines, TV's, etc ... that access those).

Thanks ... Philip

PS: Please don't take this as a knock against it. It seems neat, I am just not sure why.

I have the top model and originally used the wired connection. But I only use the wireless connection now since there is zero difference in my use. All of the internet service Apps are a relatively low bitrate(under 9Mb/s) and my wireless connection with my FiOS Internet has no issues giving me identical usage as when I have a wired connection.

If I had it over again I would have just saved the $20 and purchased the $80 model instead of the $100 one.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #398 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 PM

My old Olevia 532-b12 does not let me set the Roku 2 XD to 1080p which it is supposedly capable of and I am stuck at 720p. Is anyone else - with any other tv model - unable to set 1080p? I am wondering if it is a firmware issue for the Olevia as I have not updated that for years and I am not sure if I ever got the last version they released before that company went under. Does anyone know where I can get this or who I can ask? Many thanks!

UPDATE: D'oh! Downloaded the tv manual and realized the damn thing is only capable of 1366 x 768 resolution!
post #399 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that's common for older tvs. Many newer 720p tvs will take 1080p, but it doesn't really matter. Your Roku might stream better at 720 anyway.
post #400 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 91
[quote="pmcd

[/QUOTE]

On Netflix, many players don't do 1080p, 5.1 Dolby Digital, or closed captioning on movies that have these features. Roku2 players do.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #401 of 1153 Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Well, after all the work yesterday on getting the wired connection working I turned my TV on today and found my Roku locked up again- it's happened several times before. Reboot and no network- again. Called Roku and after a long wait, hours for a call back for a 2nd level tech, they are replacing the unit.

Hope the next one is better.
post #402 of 1153 Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks ... Philip

The top model also has 802.11b/g/n wireless.

Many players, game machines, and other devices do indeed have streaming capability, including Netflix. However, when I bought my Roku 2, I didn't own any such devices; $99 was a bargain to me.

I compared all the similar devices and the mix of available channels (including private) was the best match to my needs.
post #403 of 1153 Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 AM

My Dad is looking for a device he can hook up to his TV via a wireless connection so he can watch ESPN 3. I know we could by a fairly cheap CPU and hook it up, but does Roku allow for access to ESPN 3? If not, is there a wireless device that would? Thanks in advance.
post #404 of 1153 Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsound85 View Post

My Dad is looking for a device he can hook up to his TV via a wireless connection so he can watch ESPN 3. I know we could by a fairly cheap CPU and hook it up, but does Roku allow for access to ESPN 3? If not, is there a wireless device that would? Thanks in advance.

According to other members, you can get ESPN3 on ROKU via the Playon channel, which is a pay channel. Your Dad's ISP must also have the ESPN3 service, or it won't work.
post #405 of 1153 Old 12-30-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsound85 View Post

I'd try a refurb Logitech Revue ($79) from Amazon. ESPN3 works rather nicely on it.
post #406 of 1153 Old 12-30-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I'd try a refurb Logitech Revue ($79) from Amazon. ESPN3 works rather nicely on it.

This looks promising, thanks. My Dad really needs something that will actually surf the web because his team (Citadel) often can only be seen from the school website and he would need to get to that website on the TV. So cool, this might do the trick! Thanks again for the info!
post #407 of 1153 Old 01-04-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I just took the plunge on Madagascar (BBC) since Netflix refuses to carry it in BD and Amazon BD was $25 vs $7.

My XD crashes when it tries to play it. It gets to retreiving and then reboots.

It plays just fine on my Roku2, but I am not particularly impressed with the video quality and it is not 5.1. Are any of the Amazon hd downloads 5.1? Since it is a cloud file, will it get better over time?

I searched the thread, but it's difficult to find amazon video with all the amazon player posts.

Thanks,

Greg
post #408 of 1153 Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Are any of the Amazon hd downloads 5.1?

You can see a list of Amazon streaming titles in HD with 5.1 sound here.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #409 of 1153 Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, so based on that list, I'm not getting it, but the show is listed. I have a Yamaha receiver, I set it to straight and I get nothing from the center channel...

That's what I do with the Netflix shows and it goes to 5.1.
post #410 of 1153 Old 01-05-2012, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

If I had it over again I would have just saved the $20 and purchased the $80 model instead of the $100 one.

Well I connected the Roku2 XD, set up Plex, Netflix, Crackle and a few other channels. Really neat unit. I am very happy with it.

I did add a 4 gig micro sd card from Kingston. How do I know if it's recognized? It didn't ask me to format it and there doesn't seem to be a place to check add-on ram. Maybe the card came formatted. Don't seem to need it in any case.

philip
post #411 of 1153 Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Well I connected the Roku2 XD, set up Plex, Netflix, Crackle and a few other channels. Really neat unit. I am very happy with it.

I did add a 4 gig micro sd card from Kingston. How do I know if it's recognized? It didn't ask me to format it and there doesn't seem to be a place to check add-on ram. Maybe the card came formatted. Don't seem to need it in any case.

philip

Hi Philip,

Just simply unplug the Roku and plug it back in. After booting up it will recognize the microsd and will ask you if you want it formatted - select yes and you're good to go.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #412 of 1153 Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 AM

Liked: 12
If this has been answered in this thread, sorry for asking it again, but instead of searching through 400+ posts, I'm hoping someone can save me the time

1 - I'm not completely sure what the Micro SD card is used for - can a large sized card be used to load a few movies (in a supported format/container) on the Roku if I want to take the Roku 2 XS to a remote location and watch the movies there

2 - And from what I understand, a large 32 or 64 Gb card is supported

3 - Or, is the Micro SD card simply used to expand the Roku's memory, in terms of being able to install 'many' channels - more than what it's capable of with it's internal channel memory support - and if this is the case, I would assume a 2 or 4Gb card size would be plenty sufficient - is this a correct assumption?

4 - And iirc, somewhere I heard that the amount of channels the Roku 2 XS has the ability to store with it's stock/internal memory is around 130 - is this correct?

Thanks
post #413 of 1153 Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd024 View Post

If this has been answered in this thread, sorry for asking it again, but instead of searching through 400+ posts, I'm hoping someone can save me the time

1 - I'm not completely sure what the Micro SD card is used for - can a large sized card be used to load a few movies (in a supported format/container) on the Roku if I want to take the Roku 2 XS to a remote location and watch the movies there

2 - And from what I understand, a large 32 or 64 Gb card is supported

3 - Or, is the Micro SD card simply used to expand the Roku's memory, in terms of being able to install 'many' channels - more than what it's capable of with it's internal channel memory support - and if this is the case, I would assume a 2 or 4Gb card size would be plenty sufficient - is this a correct assumption?

4 - And iirc, somewhere I heard that the amount of channels the Roku 2 XS has the ability to store with it's stock/internal memory is around 130 - is this correct?

Thanks

Upon further invetsigation I've found the answers to my questions - if anyone else is interested...

1 - the Micro SD Card is only used for extra channel memory and game storage - no offline streaming is supported from the mSD card

2 - yes - but is most likely overkill

3 - the mSD card is only for more channel and game memory - so a 2 to 4Gb card should be quite sufficient - this is most likely the reason Roku only offers a 2Gb card for sale with the media players on their website

4 - the onboard internal memory in the Roku 2 stores approx. 120/130 channels
post #414 of 1153 Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

on netflix, many players don't do 1080p, 5.1 dolby digital, or closed captioning on movies that have these features. Roku2 players do.

for those not wanting to buy the roku 2 box i understand you can get the same features within some new blu-ray dvd players. You can get a list of which ones have the ability to stream 1080p from netflix.
post #415 of 1153 Old 01-05-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

for those not wanting to buy the roku 2 box i understand you can get the same features within some new blu-ray dvd players. You can get a list of which ones have the ability to stream 1080p from netflix.

I'm pretty sure that there are currently no BD players with that capability. Forum member RangerOne has been keeping track of 1080p Netflix devices in his TechoftheHub.com blog (see this).

Netflix just made the necessary software widely available to OEMs this summer. Netflix player support for 1080p/5.1/CC encodings will probably be in the Spring BD player models; most of the BD player manufacturers have stated that they won't update this year's models.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #416 of 1153 Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Got my replacement Roku AB unit today. Connected it and it instantly found my wired network. Great.

Not so great, when I first plugged it in the image was fantastic, blacks were black. It forced the download and now I'm back to crappy greys instead of blacks. May send it back just because of this. Everything is washed out. I know most of you have great images but my Onkyo/Samsung setup does not like the new settings.
post #417 of 1153 Old 01-07-2012, 07:05 AM

Got my roku2 xs a month ago to replace my cable subscription. Did a bit of research was sure that I can get hgvt with roku2. Well, come to find now that hgtv is no longer available as a channel. Hulu has hgtv but the roku2 only stream Hulu+ which does not have hgtv. Any suggestions? thx.
post #418 of 1153 Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusvb05 View Post

Got my roku2 xs a month ago to replace my cable subscription. Did a bit of research was sure that I can get hgvt with roku2. Well, come to find now that hgtv is no longer available as a channel. Hulu has hgtv but the roku2 only stream Hulu+ which does not have hgtv. Any suggestions? thx.

HGTV content used to be available, but it was recently all removed at the content owner's request.
post #419 of 1153 Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps70w View Post

HGTV content used to be available, but it was recently all removed at the content owner's request.

That was exactly what was relay to me when I contact roku support.

Any other else at similar price point as the roku that has hgtv available?
post #420 of 1153 Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusvb05 View Post

That was exactly what was relay to me when I contact roku support.

Any other else at similar price point as the roku that has hgtv available?

There are other channels available on the Roku that provide content similar to HGTV. If you must have HGTV, I'm not sure what other streaming platforms might carry it. You can always go the HTPC route, or just hook up a laptop to your TV and stream HGTV using the HULU website.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page