AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^
Yes, I noticed the same thing

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1153 Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardear1 View Post

are you guys having issues with not having the netflix audio/subtitles on the roku2? started for me 2 days ago. first none of the title said hd, then that came back thursday. but the audio/subtitles still aren't available. talked with a netflix rep he's clueless on the issue. i noticed the same thing on the xbox 360 with netflix. just checking to see if you guys knew anything more on when it would be back? hate not having dolby digital plus!

Netflix recently lost their rights for streaming in HD on about 95% of their HD content - hard to believe - a couple different NF reps told me they are in negotiations to get the HD rights back

A couple days ago I told a NF rep that there was only 7 pages listed in 'my acc' under Genres/HD - he was surprised and said the last time he looked there were 79 pages -- I looked yesterday and there was 19 pages - and today there is 22 pages - so apparently NF is getting the HD rights back, slowly but surely

Not sure what's up with the subtitles issue - may be related
post #453 of 1153 Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Interesting, I noticed that too. If they don't that will be the end of my streaming service and back to blu ray. For the most part it's 8 bucks free for them a month. I still don't use it very much, but it's just me and my wife and she has yet to show any initiative in playing something.
post #454 of 1153 Old 01-21-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd024 View Post

Netflix recently lost their rights for streaming in HD on about 95% of their HD content - hard to believe - a couple different NF reps told me they are in negotiations to get the HD rights back

A couple days ago I told a NF rep that there was only 7 pages listed in 'my acc' under Genres/HD - he was surprised and said the last time he looked there were 79 pages -- I looked yesterday and there was 19 pages - and today there is 22 pages - so apparently NF is getting the HD rights back, slowly but surely

Not sure what's up with the subtitles issue - may be related

95%?? Are your sure? I just checked ten of my HD titles in my queue and they were all still streamed in HD. It just seems like if they really lost 95%, at least some would not have streamed in HD.

I do see where some titles dropped completely off streaming that I had in my queue, but those had been scheduled to drop off a long time ago based on the info that FeedFlix had showed.

EDIT: I looked closer at Netflix, at their HD streaming list. Many of the titles in my queue are not in the HD streaming list, but they are streaming in HD. So it sounds like an error somewhere in their listings.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #455 of 1153 Old 01-21-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

95%?? Are your sure? I just checked ten of my HD titles in my queue and they were all still streamed in HD. It just seems like if they really lost 95%, at least some would not have streamed in HD.

I do see where some titles dropped completely off streaming that I had in my queue, but those had been scheduled to drop off a long time ago based on the info that FeedFlix had showed.

2 different NF reps confirmed this to me a couple days ago - I first heard it on a couple other forums and called NF - I can't imagine why NF's themselves would confirm/admit to what I consider a pretty big screwup like that unless it really did happen

At that time a couple days ago there were only 7 pages of HD content listings - it's slowly grown to 23 pages currently - maybe your queued titles are included in the current pages that are back on the list

Don't shoot the messanger, I'm only confirming/repeating what I was told from 'the horse's mouth'
post #456 of 1153 Old 01-21-2012, 02:17 PM

OK - I just talked to a NF rep that seemed to really know what he was talking about and said that he had heard the 'buzz' in the CS dept the last few days about the loss of HD streaming rights - but knew it was not correct

He said the issue is actually a software problem, and this is the reason why only 7 pages of HD content was showing as available and also why the 'HD' listing on each HD movie's description pages was missing on many of them - he also mentioned he will send upper mngm't a memo to clear this up withing the CS dept. to eliminate any further confusion on the matter

So, long story short, it looks like a few NF CS agents were giving out incorrect info - sorry for any confusion that was caused

PS - the NF rep also mentioned this helpful site to keep track of available content... http://instantwatcher.com/
post #457 of 1153 Old 01-21-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, some of the titles I checked out last night that were not listed as hd seemed hd. It's a pain not to know though, I just put things in my queue and wait for them to turn into BD or HD streams.
post #458 of 1153 Old 01-21-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 481
It was some weird problem with their metadatabase. I've run across complaints about this in 3 other Netflix related threads and took a look at the Netflixhelps tweets and found a lot of complaints, primarily from close-caption users (like 5.1 sound, if the player doesn't know a title has it, it won't display a menu with which to enable it).

I'd heard reports that they'd fixed it, but the Netflix site is still only showing 894 HD titles (22 pages of 40 + 14 on a 23rd page) when it should list around 4000.

I used to use InstantWatcher, but now use TVandMoviesNow, created by AVS Forum member RangerOne (with copious suggestions and constructive criticisms from me ). It will search Netflix and Amazon Instant Video simultaneously and can filter for titles with available 5.1 sound.

EDIT: BTW, TVandMoviesNow is showing 4400 HD titles (a bit inflated because it list one title for every season of a TV show plus one for the full series; InstantWatcher does as well). He keeps a separately indexed database, updating it at regular intervals.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #459 of 1153 Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yeah it seems the majority of my instants are in listed in hd now....but like i said i'm most interested in dd plus. as of late saturday night that's still not an option on any of the titles that usually have it. if anyone gets more info on when this will be fixed i'd love an update.
post #460 of 1153 Old 01-22-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Netflix must still be having issues. Three of the titles that were in the HD list last night are not there this morning. Even though they are still being streamed in HD.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #461 of 1153 Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Last night when watching an HD rental from Amazon, the Roku2 XS rebooted in the middle of the movie for no apparent reason.

I haven't seen this before, so I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #462 of 1153 Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Netflix must still be having issues. Three of the titles that were in the HD list last night are not there this morning. Even though they are still being streamed in HD.

The lack of "HD" in the description doesn't affect whether you'll get HD on playback. The problem is 5.1 sound and closed caption since if the player doesn't know that they're available it won't create a menu with which to turn them on. Strangely, the PS3 will play 5.1 sound on some titles which have it even though it's not in the description (Trollhunter for one), though it's not consistent from title to title.

post #463 of 1153 Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
update: looks like some of the titles are gradually getting dd plus and subtitles...the game had dd plus late sunday.
post #464 of 1153 Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Last night when watching an HD rental from Amazon, the Roku2 XS rebooted in the middle of the movie for no apparent reason.

I haven't seen this before, so I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Yes, this occasionally does happen, and it seems to happen in either Amazon or Netflix or Hulu+. Also seems to happen more with the Roku2, but it only does this very rarely.
post #465 of 1153 Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 AM

ATM there are 54 HD pages listed on Netflix in 'My Acc./Genre/HD
post #466 of 1153 Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardear1 View Post

update: looks like some of the titles are gradually getting dd plus and subtitles...the game had dd plus late sunday.

2154 titles, about half what it should list. Still broken, but improving .

EDIT: I just look at the descriptions for Trollhunter, Monsters and a couple of other things which were screwed up yesterday in a few embedded interfaces. On the PS3 all of them showed up properly as HD w/5.1 sound. On my Panasonic BD player they all show up as HD in their descriptions without the 5.1 icon, but they all had "Audio & Subtitle" menus with 5.1 sound options selected by default. Only Trollhunter was screwed up on the Roku 2, but at least it was marked as HD (with an A&S menu without a 5.1 sound option).

post #467 of 1153 Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I bit the bullet last night an enabled video processing on my Onkyo AVR and turned down the brightness on the Roku input - Wow what a difference. The latest software release really screwed up my viewing, I 'm using a Sammy and I guess it does not like the change in black level range as reported by others here. all my inputs are set to 0 for brightness, the roku requires a -21 setting to look good.

Netflix looked stunning in HD once it was not all washed out. Problem is enabling processing slightly reduces the quality of other inputs. Have to explore and see if there is a way via the remote to enable and disable the processing. But at least I'm able to see what the little Roku box is capable of.
post #468 of 1153 Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 15
I have two Blu-ray players that offer Netflix streaming, a Sony and a Panasonic. The Sony sucks completely because if I press the rewind or fast forward buttons to go back a few seconds it's impossible, it starts running like hell and I have to watch one full minute if I missed something they said in the movie. Same thing for advancing. The Panasonic is better for that, since it has a GUI similar to the one you see in the Netflix browser player, where you see thumbnails, and in the Panasonic, each time you press the left arrow key you can go back ten seconds. Buffering is faster than the Sony as well. But unfortunately it has some drawbacks, like no subtitles, no 5.1 audio, and sometimes it messes up since it doesn't show some episodes of long running series when you try to choose per episode, like the show 24 for example.

So I'm looking at the Roku 2 XS, since it's the only one with ethernet, and I know it has subtitles and 5.1, but how's the search on it? Does it have the thumbnail interface similar to the browser? Is there a simple way to go back just ten seconds in either direction?

Thanks

Sebastian
post #469 of 1153 Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebaz View Post

So I'm looking at the Roku 2 XS, since it's the only one with ethernet, and I know it has subtitles and 5.1, but how's the search on it? Does it have the thumbnail interface similar to the browser? Is there a simple way to go back just ten seconds in either direction?

Thanks

Yes, it has a thumbnail interface. And the remote has a button to go back a few seconds (not sure if it's 10 or 30).

The search is reasonably easy to use--not as good as a remote with its own keyboard. I find it's easier to manage the queue from either my PC or the iphone app IQueue Free

post #470 of 1153 Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I wanted the xs too, but ended up with the wireless version. It works fine, but I'm about 6' from the router. The price was right, $60.

I got hooked on the Roku due to the erratic bitrate/freezes using my Panasonic bd player. It never happened on the Roku.

Moments after my Roku 2 arrived, they updated the firmware on my original Roku to give 5.1, that's why I got the Roku2!
post #471 of 1153 Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Moments after my Roku 2 arrived, they updated the firmware on my original Roku to give 5.1, that's why I got the Roku2!

Really? 5.1 sound in Netflix? Did they also update to give them Netflix 1080p and CC support?

I'll have to take a look at the forum. A ton of people were pissed off to no end about the lack of an update for 5.1 sound in the previous generation of Roku STBs.

EDIT: I looked and all I can find is this statement that the new Netflix features would not be supported on the previous generation Roku boxes. There was a discussion about it that they locked back in August. I don't see any announcement that they'd added the feature.

post #472 of 1153 Old 01-30-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

The Roku 2 does Netflix CC 1080p and 5.1 for the programs that have these features.

post #473 of 1153 Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Really? 5.1 sound in Netflix? Did they also update to give them Netflix 1080p and CC support?

I'll have to take a look at the forum. A ton of people were pissed off to no end about the lack of an update for 5.1 sound in the previous generation of Roku STBs.

EDIT: I looked and all I can find is this statement that the new Netflix features would not be supported on the previous generation Roku boxes. There was a discussion about it that they locked back in August. I don't see any announcement that they'd added the feature.

I checked my Roku XD this morning and he's right they did push out another firmware update, it's now version 3.1 build 1011, the last build they mention on the Roku Forum is 3.0 build 2227. I went to Warehouse 13 to check playback that plays in DD+ on my WD TV Live. Bad news (at least on my setup) is that the sound is still stereo on Netflix.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #474 of 1153 Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I checked my Roku XD this morning and he's right they did push out another firmware update, it's now version 3.1 build 1011, the last build they mention on the Roku Forum is 3.0 build 2227. I went to Warehouse 13 to check playback that plays in DD+ on my WD TV Live. Bad news (at least on my setup) is that the sound is still stereo on Netflix.

Note that this is a Roku 2 thread.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #475 of 1153 Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Note that this is a Roku 2 thread.

Dana

Umm, yeah thanks for that. If you'd take the time to check the post by gregoryperkins via michaelscott that I was responding to was that he was miffed that he had just purchased the Roku 2 and he thought the new firmware on his original Roku had made his new unit redundant.

post #476 of 1153 Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I went to Warehouse 13 to check playback that plays in DD+ on my WD TV Live. Bad news (at least on my setup) is that the sound is still stereo on Netflix.

Does it even offer a "Audio & Subtitles" menu? The Roku 2 won't play DD+ unless you ask for it and you can't ask without that submenu in a title's description. (Their reason for this is that they only pass DD through without processing and many AVRs cannot decode DD+. Not processing DD saves them licensing fees).

post #477 of 1153 Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Does it even offer a "Audio & Subtitles" menu? The Roku 2 won't play DD+ unless you ask for it and you can't ask without that submenu in a title's description. (Their reason for this is that they only pass DD through without processing and many AVRs cannot decode DD+. Not processing DD saves them licensing fees).

Nope, I checked again this morning, there is no submenu for audio or subtitles. The only reason I still have my Roku XD connected is for Amazon Prime otherwise I would have gotten rid of it. I don't use it for Netflix. People with the Roku 2 can be happy in the knowledge that the older hardware still does not handle DD or DD+.

post #478 of 1153 Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM

I would like to share my opinion of the Roku 2 XS in case anybody is reading this and trying to decide whether to buy one or not. I got one today and it was back in the box in 20 minutes. While it may be convenient on a number of things, to me what matters the most is picture quality. Netflix streaming is already pretty terrible compared to Blu-ray, but at least on HD titles it's tolerable enough to watch a movie. Unfortunately the way they stream changes drastically between different devices and also their browser interface.

In both my old Panasonic BD65 and my Sony S370 Blu-ray players, the title starts playing in HD from the beginning, and if it had been playing in HD, when I do a search backward or forward, it takes a moment to buffer and then it starts playing back in HD. But in the browser interface and in the Roku, it starts playback looking like crap and then it progressively gets better over the course of 30 seconds to a minute. Unfortunately the Roku does the same thing bur worse. After a search, when you stop and press playback it will look bad, then after a few seconds it gets worse to the point where it looks like a really bad You Tube video, and then after a few seconds it starts getting better until it gets back to 720p. And this is on a Time Warner Cable connection that on Speedtest.net gives me a downstream of 25-30 Mbps, and the Roku connected with the ethernet cable, not wireless. That to me is unacceptable.

And the main reason why I bought the Roku is to have subtitles, since English is my second language and sometimes I get confused on some words. But I don't want subtitles all the time, I want to use them during a minute or so that I didn't understand the actors, so I want to be able to set them on and off quick. But the way it works in the Roku is that you have to press the back button, stopping the playback, and then go to a menu and select subtitles. A complete waste of time. I'd rather watch using my HTPC through the browser, which allows to turn subtitles on and off during playback.

So it's a neat little device, but I still rather use my Panasonic Blu-ray player or my computer. Definitely not worth $100 for me.

Sebastian
post #479 of 1153 Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
^^^ Wow, that seems strange. I wonder if you had a defective unit. We have 4 of the Roku2 XS that streams HD just fine and does not degrade if fast forward or reverse. We also have 5 panasonic blurays and they do not stream HD any better. We mostly use the Rokus for Hulu Plus, all the shows we watch are in HD and never present a problem.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #480 of 1153 Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

^^^ Wow, that seems strange. I wonder if you had a defective unit. We have 4 of the Roku2 XS that streams HD just fine and does not degrade if fast forward or reverse. We also have 5 panasonic blurays and they do not stream HD any better. We mostly use the Rokus for Hulu Plus, all the shows we watch are in HD and never present a problem.

I don't know, it doesn't seem defective since it's the same operation mode that you have when using the browser interface, it starts looking really bad and gets better after several seconds. But the same exact cable when put in the Panasonic player starts streaming in HD from the beginning, and after a search.

Sebastian
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page