Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Plus isn't the max bitrate for MPEG4 with the Roku 2 around 8Mb/s? That would eliminate it even being able to play 3 bar HDX.

They quote the max (here) as 8 Mbps average, 12 Mbps peak for video films played off USB storage. msgohan is seeing HDX downloads to PS3 which average 8.8 Mbps. The Roku could at least sustain 2 bar HDX which is pretty damn good and superior to either Amazon or Netflix.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 02:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

They quote the max (here) as 8 Mbps average, 12 Mbps peak for video films played off USB storage. msgohan is seeing HDX downloads to PS3 which average 8.8 Mbps. The Roku could at least sustain 2 bar HDX which is pretty damn good and superior to either Amazon or Netflix.

But there is still a very noticeable difference between 3 bar HDX and two bar HDX. And a gigantic difference between 1 bar HDX.

I'm guessing at this point if they were going to add Vudu it would have been done by now. But at least there is no shortage of devices that have Vudu on them.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why does my ROKU download so slowly? I tried to dowloand and view "GAME OF THRONES" Season One, Episode One from HBOGO and it would play about two minutes and download for approximately a minute or so and thats the way it went for the entire episode. I tried again, this time pausing and it would not download any more than a small segment each time.
I downloaded and watched several Korean shows and if I pause it for awhile it would bring in the entire episode.
Don't know why the difference. Perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or perhaps someone has had the same experience. I do not have a ROKU 2. I have the XDS.
I thank you. MQ
Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSY QUICK View Post

Why does my ROKU download so slowly? I tried to dowloand and view "GAME OF THRONES" Season One, Episode One from HBOGO and it would play about two minutes and download for approximately a minute or so and thats the way it went for the entire episode. I tried again, this time pausing and it would not download any more than a small segment each time.
I downloaded and watched several Korean shows and if I pause it for awhile it would bring in the entire episode.
Don't know why the difference. Perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or perhaps someone has had the same experience. I do not have a ROKU 2. I have the XDS.
I thank you. MQ

Hi. I'm not sure how the XDS works as far as download speed, but I never have issues with the Roku2's, extremely fast. What is the speed/bandwidth of your internet? That may be the limiting factor. You can test your download speed with speedtest.net or bandwidthplace.com.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Old 05-02-2012, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another thing might be a weak wireless signal, or just a noisy one. Check with your router on how to change channels.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverm2 View Post

I have searched everywhere and can not find adefinitive answer to this question.can i stream comcast xfinity on roku xd or xds? I have seen that maybe I can do hbo go. xfinity access would make buying one a no brainer.I have 2 tivos so netffix/amazon are not important.any help will be appreciated.

I have the same question. If I am streaming Comcast Infinity on my pc can i play it on the roku through playon, plex or another service? I don't mind paying a one time fee or a small monthly fee. The problem with playon is that I don't see anything streaming in HD. It plays fluidly but the picture quality is lousy. I can't seem to figure out how to stream my HD stream from my PC to the Roku. Is there anyway to do this for a reasonable price besides hooking up the pc to the TV by HDMI?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM

Anyone? I thought it would be a simple question. There is the new simpe.tv as well that might do it but it is all very confusing.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by if200 View Post

Anyone? I thought it would be a simple question. There is the new simpe.tv as well that might do it but it is all very confusing.

Thanks!

Comcast does nopt allow streaming of HBO Go to Roku boxes:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...1100271/page/9

But they are working on an Infinity Roku Channel: (but the link is from Oct and still nothing to report)
http://www.takesontech.com/xfinity-v...oku-and-others
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM

thanks for the info!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 AM

Liked: 10
What options are available for playing media hosted on my local network? Specifically, on my MacBook Pro.

I know the Roku requires specific channels to do this, and the MBP would need the appropriate server installed. I'm just asking what channels are available (and if you have experiences with them, I'd like to avoid ones that aren't worth the trouble).

Plex looks like one option, and I already have the server and client installed on the MacBook, so that's a no brainer.

NokNok might be another, though I've not had any experience with it.

I'm fine with re-encoding my media if required, though the MBP should have the power to do it on the fly. Looks like Plex will do it either way (direct play for Roku supported formats, or on-the-fly re-encoding for unsupported formats). Not sure about other channels/servers?

Thanks.

Edit - in case it matters, most of my media is some flavor of 720p in mkv containers. Mostly TV shows that were available OTA in Europe but not broadcast in the US (lots of live cycling, rugby). No need for sub-titles - if I watch a foreign language film, it will be via Netflix, Amazon, etc.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 PM

Liked: 18
New F/W 4.7 b2049.

Cheers
Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack Monkey View Post

What options are available for playing media hosted on my local network? Specifically, on my MacBook Pro.

I know the Roku requires specific channels to do this, and the MBP would need the appropriate server installed. I'm just asking what channels are available (and if you have experiences with them, I'd like to avoid ones that aren't worth the trouble).

Plex looks like one option, and I already have the server and client installed on the MacBook, so that's a no brainer.

NokNok might be another, though I've not had any experience with it.

I'm fine with re-encoding my media if required, though the MBP should have the power to do it on the fly. Looks like Plex will do it either way (direct play for Roku supported formats, or on-the-fly re-encoding for unsupported formats). Not sure about other channels/servers?

Thanks.

Edit - in case it matters, most of my media is some flavor of 720p in mkv containers. Mostly TV shows that were available OTA in Europe but not broadcast in the US (lots of live cycling, rugby). No need for sub-titles - if I watch a foreign language film, it will be via Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Plex is almost the only option. There is PlayON but I had trouble getting the local file option to work and the couple of other alternatives involved setting up a web server.

Philip
Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Plex is almost the only option. There is PlayON but I had trouble getting the local file option to work and the couple of other alternatives involved setting up a web server.

Philip

I have been using Roksbox for almost two years, and I think it is great. In my distribution of linux, it takes three clicks to setup an Apache webserver, and puts very little load on the computer - Plex can be much more taxing, especially if it has to transcode.

Other channels might be a slight more effort, but you also may have results that are more to your liking - I have my Music and Photos simply linked to where I normally have them and they show up, the Videos I have split into virtual "movie channels" and they all have nice little xml files. I also just have a directory where I dump stuff so I can watch without fuss.

There are even more local media channels out there, but these are the top two for the Roku.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

New F/W 4.7 b2049.

Cheers

What changes/fixes are there?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 PM
IRJ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Both Playon and Plex work well for me
I know this is a Roku thread but shhh WindowsMediaCenter and XBox as an extender works well for a load of stuff (it discovered all my media and picctures w/o my even asking). Basically I use Roku for a load of streaming channels (nice radio options as well) and XBox hooked up to a CableCard reader and play TV programming thru XBox (XBox also streams ESPN3 whereas Roku needs playon software to manage that).

Ian
Old 05-15-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What changes/fixes are there?

According to RokuShawn on the forums (here) it's in early release and they're not ready to post release notes yet, but that it's primarily a bunch of little bug fixes and some "under the hood stuff". I got it and there's certainly nothing different that I can see.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM

From the Roku blog:

Quote:
The team here at Roku has been hard at work on another software update for Roku 2, Roku LT and new Roku HD players. Rolling out today, Roku software version 4.7 contains several under the hood improvements and fixes:

Added support for channels that use Microsoft Smooth Streaming
Added improvements to support several new partner channels to launch in 2012
Improved stability of the new Roku HD player
Improved Roku device discovery on Roku iOS and Android mobile apps
Fixed a bug related to French localization

The Roku software update will be pushed automatically to all connected Roku 2, Roku LT and new Roku HD players over the next 48 hours. To get it now, select Settings > Software update > Check now from your Roku player.

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2012/05/15...d-new-roku-hd/
Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Added improvements to support several new partner channels to launch in 2012

New channels, got my interest.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post

I have been using Roksbox for almost two years, and I think it is great. In my distribution of linux, it takes three clicks to setup an Apache webserver, and puts very little load on the computer - Plex can be much more taxing, especially if it has to transcode.

Other channels might be a slight more effort, but you also may have results that are more to your liking - I have my Music and Photos simply linked to where I normally have them and they show up, the Videos I have split into virtual "movie channels" and they all have nice little xml files. I also just have a directory where I dump stuff so I can watch without fuss.

There are even more local media channels out there, but these are the top two for the Roku.

Perhaps your familiarity with Linux helped a lot. I recall trying it and the instructions just seemed too much that day. Have become lazy. Stuff is either trivial or impossible for me now

Is Roxsbox completely free?

Philip
Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJ View Post

Both Playon and Plex work well for me
I know this is a Roku thread but shhh WindowsMediaCenter and XBox as an extender works well for a load of stuff (it discovered all my media and picctures w/o my even asking). Basically I use Roku for a load of streaming channels (nice radio options as well) and XBox hooked up to a CableCard reader and play TV programming thru XBox (XBox also streams ESPN3 whereas Roku needs playon software to manage that).

How did you get PlayOn to support local files?

Philip
Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

PlayOn has a tab for local media. Requires VLC be installed as it uses its engine to transcode.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM

I'm up and running with a Roku 2 XS with the Plex channel, and Plex server on a MacBook Pro Core2Duo. So far, it works great for average 720p media, being encoded on the fly on the server, and transmitted across my home wireless network. Also works with the iTunes music and photo channels - although the interface is a bit clunky.

So far, I'm quite pleased with the total package. I prefer the Xbox360 Netflix app to the Roku Channel, but perhaps that's just familiarity, time will tell. Regardless, the Roku does what I want and for $80US, it's hard to beat.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Or, just $50 for LT when it's in stock.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a quick note on update 4.7. I noticed on all of of our Roku2 XS, the audio in the settings reverted to 2 channel so you need to re-set to 5.1.

Ray

Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Just a quick note on update 4.7. I noticed on all of of our Roku2 XS, the audio in the settings reverted to 2 channel so you need to re-set to 5.1.

That didn't happen to mine (English subs remain turned on by default as well). It doesn't hurt to check, though .

Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
at least telnet works now. I couldnt use telnet to control my roku 2 with the beta before this!!!!
(I also couldnt use irule but that is all fixed now)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

That didn't happen to mine (English subs remain turned on by default as well). It doesn't hurt to check, though .

Strange, we have 5 Roku2 XS and all of them reverted back to 2 channel. Good to know it does not happen to all, but as you stated, doesn't hurt to check. I usually check my settings after any update (to any device).

Ray

Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

PlayOn has a tab for local media. Requires VLC be installed as it uses its engine to transcode.

Does it work with WHS and does VLC have to be running? I tried this a while back and could never get it to work. Perhaps it needs the cli version of VLC?

Philip
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:

Perhaps your familiarity with Linux helped a lot. I recall trying it and the instructions just seemed too much that day. Have become lazy. Stuff is either trivial or impossible for me now

Is Roxsbox completely free?

Philip

I am into tinkering, that is for sure. And it did take a little work on the frontend figuring out what to setup and how. And I will admit, the roksbox page isn't the best written - but even apache in windows is only answering a few questions and then modifying a few lines in a file.

Roksbox costs $15 for a lifetime subscription. 30 day free trial. However, there are a few other channels that are similar that are free.

Plex, from what I understand, is great but can be clunky in points - and for me, it would have just been too much server load since my main computer also records three tv tuners (six with the multiplex channels), flags commercials, transcodes tv to the roku, etc. However, I do understand that for most people with newer computers Plex is fantastic. Certainly doesn't cost to try!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does it work with WHS and does VLC have to be running? I tried this a while back and could never get it to work. Perhaps it needs the cli version of VLC?

Philip

I have it running on my HP EX490 in fact. Just installed the regular Windows version of VLC. It was when I first installed PlayOn, it popped a message saying I needed VLC. Also, PlayOn runs as a service, so once you log off from remote desktop, it keeps running.