post #61 of 1155 Old 07-29-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post

It goes into a standby mode and consumes only 4 watts when it does. It has to stay on for two reasons - one, to receive updates... two, the bootup time is too long for that (1-1.5 minutes)

It's supposed to be only 2 watts now.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1155 Old 07-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smetaxas View Post

Can this device stream MKV movies from your computer or do you have to hook up a USB drive?

Got mine last night for bedroom TV. I put the following files on usb stick.

.mkv movie (H264 / AAC (mp4a) audio
.avi movie (DIVX)
.mp3 song
.flac song

the only file ROKU 2 recognized was the MP3 song. I didn't not expect FLAC or DIVX to work, but was surprised mkv did not. Might be the audio portion. I'll try to test another soon.
I wonder if results for mkv playback are any different streaming thru 3rd party Roksbox??

There is a micro SD card slot. Don't know if it is usable. Will try it later too.

Netflix stream was good as long as I did not FF, in which case is really bogged down or even popped me back to previous menu. Other streaming channels seemed good too. My wireless connection is not optimal yet, so maybe Netflix will improve. (FYI I set box to 720P because I'm on a small TV)
post #63 of 1155 Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

I had read where MKV playback is currently disabled in the Roku 2 because of some problems and that it is supposed to be re-enabled at some point later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 1155 Old 07-29-2011, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

The Roku is really only intended for the US. I think several of the channels make sure you are using a US IP #, due to licensing concerns. However, if that isn't a concern, I am confident that if the AC wasn't good for 50hz, you could find a compatible adapter to give you the 5.6v...

Yyes I know that, not a problem with the US IP thing... About the converter, I would rather if it supported the european voltage originally. I know the old models did.

Hey, aaronwt, since you seem to have the Roku 2 would you mind answering my question , please?
Quote:

1) Could you tell me (or take a picture, whatever works best for you), if the Roku Power Adapter is compatible to European Standards? I know the old model was, it was on the label "Input: 100/240V 50/60Hz". Is this one the same?

Cheers!
post #65 of 1155 Old 07-29-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

My Roku 2 XS power supply shows

Model NO:AAL-00
AC Input: 100-240 Vac
.25A 50-60 Hz
Output: 5V=1.5A

post #66 of 1155 Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post

Which third party channel and if you wouldn't mind some tips or guidance in how to set it up would be appreciated?

I use roksbox - and what you do is setup an apache webserver and three folders on it - Videos, Music, Pictures. You make sure that these folders show an Index/Directory view, and you plug into the roksbox channel the ip address of your webserver on your network, the name of the folders (easier if all lower case), and you are good to go.

You can use a program to make an .xml file if you want to get fancy with information on the play screen, or use a program that generates .bif files that does the same thing.

You can make an individual .xml file if you want (I wrote a quick excel sheet to do that) for each video file, or you can just leave it be and the filename displays.

Here is the link to the program/channel - http://roksbox.com/home/

More info there... For me, I use linux so this was the easiest channel to get going for me - and my distro has a three click webserver setup for apache, so it honestly took 2 minutes for me to setup. However, realizing I was blocking webserver traffic on my firewall took a bit longer

If I was scared to do any of this, there are less robust programs out there that will autosetup a mongoose webserver for you - but I am going to imagine most people on this forum don't mind tinkering.
post #67 of 1155 Old 07-30-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Got mine last night for bedroom TV. I put the following files on usb stick.

.mkv movie (H264 / AAC (mp4a) audio
.avi movie (DIVX)
.mp3 song
.flac song

the only file ROKU 2 recognized was the MP3 song. I didn't not expect FLAC or DIVX to work, but was surprised mkv did not. Might be the audio portion. I'll try to test another soon.
I wonder if results for mkv playback are any different streaming thru 3rd party Roksbox??

The only file format is mp3/aac/h264/jpg (maybe .gif and .png, can't remember), wmv8/9...

I have a script that converts my divx files to h264 so I can watch on the roku. It would have been cool if it could have supported the format - most of us who archived stuff did so on divx/xvid for a long time, so to have to reconvert and get a hit in quality is sucky. Also would have been awesome if it could have supported mpeg2 and ts files - then many of us could have intergrated with a tv card or an hd homerun... how cool would that have been streaming hd tv from a homerun through the network.

The only file containers are mp4 m4v and mkv. MKV's can also contain ac3 or DTS passthrough.

MKV is currently disabled due to a glitch in the roku2 but it is promised to be turned on as soon as they can figure out what is going on.
post #68 of 1155 Old 07-30-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to join this distinguished group! The Roku 2 is my third Roku player. The others are still is use with other family members.

From the Roku Forum:

Quote:
Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Roku rolled out a firmware update this afternoon which should correct a few of the issues you've been experiencing.

• Improved playback support in Crackle
• Fixed an occasional crash on entry into Angry Birds
• Fixed an occasional crash during video playback

Roku firmware updates are automatic and most players will be updated over the next week. If you would like to get the latest firmware version immediately, please visit Settings > Software Update on your Roku 2 Streaming Player to manually trigger the update.

As always, we welcome any feedback you have about this software update as well as your opinions on what features or improvements you'd like to see in future releases. Write us at feedback@roku.com.

C. Shawn Smith

My Roku was auto updated yesterday afternoon.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #69 of 1155 Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

I wish my box would have updated this when it was first available. It seems to have solved an issue with the sound effects volume. When I had turned it off, and ran Angry Birds, the volume was super loud and distorted. I had to drop the volume down to -65dB to get close to normal volume levels. I'm still afraid I messed up a couple of my SVS speakers. I just know after this update this issue does not happen.

post #70 of 1155 Old 07-31-2011, 07:57 AM

Liked: 12
I've had my XS-2 for one week now and it works great via HDMI to a DLP set, signal strength depending where the unit is placed in the house ranges from good to excellent on a G network. Netflix still takes a little time to load but once loaded there is no stoppage for buffering it plays right through. I hooked it up to an older 20" Sony Trinitron with the included single plug composite cable just to see. Wow, nothing compares to a CRT for SD content I ended up watching for several hours and the XS-2 never missed a beat. I've used the USB port with and older external HD loaded with DVD to Mp4 video with no problems. I'm very impressed with this little box being new I can only hope Roku built in quality as well as innovations. I guess the word got out because all my local Best Buys are now sold out.
post #71 of 1155 Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 AM

I was just on the Roku site looking at the R2's and noticed they all have only a 90 day warranty -- is this correct?

Most any other media player I can think of has a warranty that's at least 4 times longer (1 year)

What's up with the 3 month warranty?
post #72 of 1155 Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

You can get 2 and 4 years from Bestbuy.

post #73 of 1155 Old 07-31-2011, 09:45 AM

Liked: 93
You can get two years as a purchase from Roku for like $15 or so.
post #74 of 1155 Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

It's $10 for 2 at BB.$20 for 4 years. Plus they are local. I will probably get the two year extended warranty. I still have another 40 days to decide until the end of my 45 day return period.

post #75 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Can anyone confirm if the roku 2 supports 24 fps from netflix?

I know it can do netflix at 1080p and 5.1 DD+. And it can do 24fps. But can it do 24fps netflix?

This would make it the perfect netflix box. As of yet, there haven't been any netflix streamers that can do 1080p24 with 5.1 DD+.
post #76 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Will the Roku2 have native resolution output? So 720P netflix will be output as 720P and 1080P Netflix will be output as 1080P.

That gets a bit more complicated with adaptive streaming...

The reason that the ps3 netflix was updated to scale video to the current output resolution is because the stream's resolution can change mid-playback. Attempting to change output resolution on the fly is not exactly the best movie viewing experience. With adaptive streaming and a 1080p capable display, all HD netflix streams still start out at 720p (or maybe lower?). It is only when it reaches x-high hd that the stream is truly 1080p. By upscaling 720 streams to 1080, it isn't necessary to adjust resolution during the middle of a movie.

I don't have my hands on one of the new Roku but my assumption is that it behaves the same as the ps3 in terms of output resolution and adaptive streaming. The alternative would be to change output resolution mid-stream or to guess at the highest possible stream resolution prior to beginning playback. Always scaling to the display's resolution seems like the best solution.
post #77 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

That gets a bit more complicated with adaptive streaming...

The reason that the ps3 netflix was updated to scale video to the current output resolution is because the stream's resolution can change mid-playback. Attempting to change output resolution on the fly is not exactly the best movie viewing experience. With adaptive streaming and a 1080p capable display, all HD netflix streams still start out at 720p (or maybe lower?). It is only when it reaches x-high hd that the stream is truly 1080p. By upscaling 720 streams to 1080, it isn't necessary to adjust resolution during the middle of a movie.

I don't have my hands on one of the new Roku but my assumption is that it behaves the same as the ps3 in terms of output resolution and adaptive streaming. The alternative would be to change output resolution mid-stream or to guess at the highest possible stream resolution prior to beginning playback. Always scaling to the display's resolution seems like the best solution.

Sorry, had to chime in here...You are correct, Netflix on Roku 2 is almost identical to PS3 streaming (not a bad thing, imo). All videos start out very low-res looking, then slowly go to high def. On my receiver (Yamaha RX-A2000), it states that the video coming in is 1080p/60 coming in at all times, so, I suppose it does connect to your TV at it's native resolution. On titles that support it, my receiver lights up Dolby Digital+. However, every time you start a new movie, you have to select it under (audio/subtitles). Anyway, love the new Roku 2, still have my Roku HD, and it will be going in the workout room's TV. Happy Streaming everyone!
post #78 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, that answers a few of the things I'd been wondering about.

Hmmm, so 60, fps for netflix? Is that because your display doesn't support 24 fps or because the Roku is forcing netflix to be 60 fps ?
post #79 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
From what I've read it appears the Roku2 is locked into 1080p/60 for Netflix. Unfortunately there aren't many devices that offer up Netflix @ 24fps.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #80 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Thanks, that answers a few of the things I'd been wondering about.

Hmmm, so 60, fps for netflix? Is that because your display doesn't support 24 fps or because the Roku is forcing netflix to be 60 fps ?

I have an LG PK550 50" 1080P Plasma. It does support 1080p/24 input (what I use with my BluRay player.) I believe the Roku 2 is just locked at 1080p/60hz. Anyone know if that's the case?
post #81 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

From what I've read it appears the Roku2 is locked into 1080p/60 for Netflix. Unfortunately there aren't many devices that offer up Netflix @ 24fps.

There is no 24p option for the Roku 2 anyway. It's just listed as 1080P which is 1080P60.(Or 1080P59.99 in my case. I'll probably exchange it when BB gets more in stock to see if another will ouput at 60P instead of the 59.99P)

post #82 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 11:52 AM

OK I must be going crazy or maybe I'm blind. Where in blazes is the Roku USB Media Player channel that you're supposed to use to access media through the USB port? I can't find it in any channel listing, yet it's mentioned by name in the official Roku 2 FAQ on how to access the USB port. What gives?
post #83 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Darn. That potential was the only thing interesting me in the unit.

I'll stick with the incorrect PS3.

-Suntan
post #84 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post

OK I must be going crazy or maybe I'm blind. Where in blazes is the Roku USB Media Player channel that you're supposed to use to access media through the USB port? I can't find it in any channel listing, yet it's mentioned by name in the official Roku 2 FAQ on how to access the USB port. What gives?

It was there over the weekend. I added it to my list of applications.

post #85 of 1155 Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Joining this thread as I just took delivery of a 2XS for my kid's room.

Quick question, any of the USB channels out there handle filenames better than the official channel?
I use fairly long file names since all my DVDs have been converted to MP4/AAC and the official channel is cutting them off for some TV titles.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #86 of 1155 Old 08-03-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRaven View Post

Joining this thread as I just took delivery of a 2XS for my kid's room.

Quick question, any of the USB channels out there handle filenames better than the official channel?
I use fairly long file names since all my DVDs have been converted to MP4/AAC and the official channel is cutting them off for some TV titles.

Some of the channels you can use an xml file and call it whatever you want, along with cover art, etc.

There are simple xml editors for windows that automate everything, fetch info on it, etc.

I use linux, so I actually just hand create, but I don't have an impressive collection in storage - just 20 or so.
post #87 of 1155 Old 08-03-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post

I think it's in the Channel Store under the Photos/Media category or whatever it's called. Basically the same category as Facebook, Picasa, Flickr, etc. It's quite a ways down the grid. Also, I believe it will only show in the Channel Store if you have a Roku model that actually has a USB port.
post #88 of 1155 Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:

I use roksbox - and what you do is setup an apache webserver and three folders on it - Videos, Music, Pictures. You make sure that these folders show an Index/Directory view, and you plug into the roksbox channel the ip address of your webserver on your network, the name of the folders (easier if all lower case), and you are good to go.

You can use a program to make an .xml file if you want to get fancy with information on the play screen, or use a program that generates .bif files that does the same thing.

You can make an individual .xml file if you want (I wrote a quick excel sheet to do that) for each video file, or you can just leave it be and the filename displays.

Here is the link to the program/channel - http://roksbox.com/home/

More info there... For me, I use linux so this was the easiest channel to get going for me - and my distro has a three click webserver setup for apache, so it honestly took 2 minutes for me to setup. However, realizing I was blocking webserver traffic on my firewall took a bit longer

If I was scared to do any of this, there are less robust programs out there that will autosetup a mongoose webserver for you - but I am going to imagine most people on this forum don't mind tinkering.

Thankyou.
post #89 of 1155 Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM

I ordered a Roku 2 XS from Amazon on August 1, they show delivery between Aug 8 and 11, but the order is showing as "Not Shipped" as of Aug 5.

Anyone heard anything about a shortage?
post #90 of 1155 Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post

I ordered a Roku 2 XS from Amazon on August 1, they show delivery between Aug 8 and 11, but the order is showing as "Not Shipped" as of Aug 5.

Anyone heard anything about a shortage?

It show currently as "in stock" on Amazon. "Free standard shipping" involves three to five business days for delivery.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page