Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1153 Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi AVSers,
For our HT front projector set up, I've been using a Panasonic Blu-ray player to access Netflix streaming. The picture quality is great, but the boot up and load times are very long (60 seconds).
I have been using our Roku 2 in another room (with a small flatscreen). The boot/load times are very fast with the Roku, so I decided to hook it up to the front projector.
It boots/loads quickly, but there is a light "snow" or white dots (sparkles) on the picture. eek.gif This is not related to internet speed, because it happens even on all of the "home" screen settings...
My experience with HDMI cables is that they either work, or they don't. Before I tried a factory reset or purchased new cables, I thought I would post here ansd see if anyone has a suggestion.
Thanks in advance. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1153 Old 12-14-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Try rigging it up with the Roku more directly connected to the projector, with a different cable. See if it's the cable first.

What make/model is the FP? Might there be resolution mismatch issues? As in, the Roku is set up to provide a resolution that the FP is less that effective handling?
post #1083 of 1153 Old 12-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Try rigging it up with the Roku more directly connected to the projector, with a different cable. See if it's the cable first.

What make/model is the FP? Might there be resolution mismatch issues? As in, the Roku is set up to provide a resolution that the FP is less that effective handling?

Thanks for the input.
FP is a Sharp XK-Z30000. It accepts all formats, and it is displaying the 1080p aspect correctly. The picture is otherwise OK, except for the faint white "sparkles".
All other AVR feeds look great (DTV, Bluray, DVD). Only the Roku has the video "snow".
The Roku shows this artifact on all the device menu pages as well as an online source (Netflix)
Due to logistics of a cathedral ceiling mount, it's not practical to run the Roku feed directly to the projector. If it comes to that, then I'll have to live without it.
I can try new HDMI cable, but I'm not optimistic...
Any other ideas?
post #1084 of 1153 Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Could be cable, connection or grounding problem.
post #1085 of 1153 Old 12-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I can try a new cable, but how can I determine a grounding issue?
post #1086 of 1153 Old 12-14-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'd try a ladder and a new cable first. The ground issue would, presumably, be eliminated for the purposes of test by plugging the Roku into the same power plug as the projector and connecting the HDMI straight to it, not through an AVR.

It's entirely possible it's that particular Roku unit. Have you tried it on another TV?
post #1087 of 1153 Old 12-14-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

I can try a new cable, but how can I determine a grounding issue?

If you have a cable TV box disconnect it from the AVR. They are the source of most grounding problems.
post #1088 of 1153 Old 12-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Problem solved smile.gif
The FP is 3D capable. So, all of the HDMI cables in the chain are the new "high speed" protocol.
When I moved the Roku box from the small flatscreen, I included the attached hook up cables.
One of them was the old 1.3 protocol. This did not cause a problem on the non-3D display
When I switched it out, the snow disappeared tongue.gif
So another possible addition to the FAQ. It's best not to mix HDMI protocols.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Happy Holidays.
post #1089 of 1153 Old 12-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Quote:

Problem solved smile.gif
The FP is 3D capable. So, all of the HDMI cables in the chain are the new "high speed" protocol.
When I moved the Roku box from the small flatscreen, I included the attached hook up cables.
One of them was the old 1.3 protocol. This did not cause a problem on the non-3D display
When I switched it out, the snow disappeared tongue.gif
So another possible addition to the FAQ. It's best not to mix HDMI protocols.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Happy Holidays.

Setting the misleading marketing aside, there is no such thing as a 1.3 or 1.4 cable. For HDMI cables, there is just high speed and standard speed, with and without ethernet. Unless you need Ethernet over HDMI (rarely used), any high speed cable should work. Of course, any given cable can have a defect.
post #1090 of 1153 Old 12-15-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Cosigned. You had a bad cable or connection.
post #1091 of 1153 Old 12-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cosigned. You had a bad cable or connection.

That is possible, but the same cable worked on the 32" non 3D display. That system used the old 1.3 standard cables. The 110" FP sysem used the newer "high speed" cables (for 3D).
When I switched out the old 1.3 to a high speed cable it worked fine...
post #1092 of 1153 Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

WatchESPN channel now available for free (with valid internet subscription or TV subscription, of course).

Been using it today, and its very well done, especially compared to the WatchESPN website.

It seems the content is hosted by your cable provider (on Comcast anyways)... Last I checked the stream was like 14 Mbps and rock solid speed - zero hiccups ... better quality than the crappy MPEG2 comcast shoves over their boxes
post #1093 of 1153 Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hadn't looked at the various channels on my Roku 2 XS for some time and just noticed that the Roku Media Player had been added. I am only able to play video files which are in the top level folder of my video server. If I try to select a subfolder, I do not see a list of the files contained in that folder but instead get the message "No compatible fideos found in Video/. Press * to change filters". Is there any way to view video files which are arranged in separate folders? This is not a problem with Audio or Photo files. I am using iSedora as a video server on my Mac.

Bob
post #1094 of 1153 Old 12-28-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The sub-folders work fine for me. Maybe you don't have any compatible video files in those folders? Keep in mind that the very limited range of video file compatibility hasn't been improved in upgrading the old USB Media Player to Roku Media Player.
post #1095 of 1153 Old 12-28-2013, 03:21 PM

Liked: 11
just heard a news that Roku was hacked and now can run XBMC on it.
post #1096 of 1153 Old 12-28-2013, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
the hack will probably be patched by tomorrow, its cool but it wont last.
post #1097 of 1153 Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Link?

Update: here it is: http://www.gtvhacker.com/index.php/Exploiting_Roku . Tried it and it works.

Can it be reverted from XBMC to the regular Roku firmware?

Update: XBMC not available yet. TBD regarding being able to switch back and forth - it might be a one-time-only thing: if you ever switch back to new Roku firmware, the rooting loophole will no longer be available.
post #1098 of 1153 Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Why would that be a hack? XMBC would just have to design a private channel using the Roku SDK.

Thats how I started running Plex on it over 2 years ago when I got my first unit.
post #1099 of 1153 Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Nobody is going to create an XBMC channel for Roku. XBMC is a large and complex existing application for Linux which could not easily be ported to the script language used by Roku channels. Making it run on the Roku requires the ability to root Linux and replace the Roku app that launches automatically.

Plex is quite different. Although Plex started from a fork of XBMC, Plex is split as a client-server application, with the bulk of the code in Plex Media Server running on a separate computer platform, and lightweight Plex clients that can run on lower-powered media boxes.

A good argument could be made that you can access all of the same capabilities of XBMC using Roku+Plex, but only with the aid of a separate computer running Plex Media Server. Which you prefer probably depends mostly on whether you started out with XBMC or with Plex, and whether or not you have a separate computer easily available to run Plex Media Server.
post #1100 of 1153 Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Too late to root your Roku now unless you haven't connected it to the internet.

From GTVHacker on Twitter, Dec. 30 17h
"We have initial reports of a patch being rolled out to the #Roku exploit released Saturday. Users have limited time to root or block update"
"The #Roku vulnerability seems to be patched in 5.3 build 3063"
post #1101 of 1153 Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 PM

Liked: 13
I cut the cable today. So now, I have ROKU 2 XS, OTA TV, and whatever I can stream off the Internet with a laptop computer. I might miss the sports, but hey, when was the last time I ever watched an entire sporting event? I can't remember. Getting the highlights of the game will have to do for cable only games. And I am cool with that. I don't have 3 hours for anything anyways.

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #1102 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
^If you have a trusted family member ( or one that trusts you!) that has ESPN3 access, you could possibly "test it" for them on your ROKU. The ESPN channel works quite nicely.
See The Light likes this.
post #1103 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

We have been watching Netflix "House of Cards" on the ROKU2 3100X. "House of Cards" is supposed to be HD, but the picture often looks "soft", even after it loads the algorithm and has been running for 10 minutes or so.
I checked out the internet speed and ran the Netflix HD test clip (tack sharp). Everything seems OK. Otherwise picture and sound are great...just not what I am used to seeing in HD.
Can anyone suggest a fix or is there something going on with Netflix?
post #1104 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Check your Netflix online account settings as well - they have a global low/medium/high/extreme setting for your Netflix account that affects all devices. Maybe it's set too low.
post #1105 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

I double checked and our playback settings are "High". I thought that was the best. Should I set it to "Auto"?
Our Box is checked for "Prefer HTML5 player instead of Silverlight". That was the default setting (for us). Should I uncheck it? I do not know what that means...
This Netfix test sort runs fine and looks sharp http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Example_Short_23.976/70136810?trkid=13573466
Any other ideas?
post #1106 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I double checked and our playback settings are "High". I thought that was the best. Should I set it to "Auto"?
Our Box is checked for "Prefer HTML5 player instead of Silverlight". That was the default setting (for us). Should I uncheck it? I do not know what that means...
This Netfix test sort runs fine and looks sharp http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Example_Short_23.976/70136810?trkid=13573466
Any other ideas?

Those settings are fine.

If the softness you describe comes and goes, it is likely the adaptive streaming dropping back to a lower resolution due to temporary network congestion. It may be due to networking issues on your end but more often than not is not within your control and involves your ISP, its local network conditions, and your path to the CDN.

What is your network bandwidth reported via speedtest?
post #1107 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 521
I keep that Netflix account setting set to "Auto", which is unbounded; I think that it defaulted to that after they added that setting. "High" is fine though. The HTML5 player bit is about which version of the player you use in web browsers; AFAIK, the HTML5 player only works in a single web browser right now, IE11 on Windows 8, so in any other browser you'd get Silverlight regardless.

You say that "Example Short" runs fine and looks great. It has a bit rate/resolution information burned into its component video encodes (the yellow text in this picture). What does that say when it settles down?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1108 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post

It seems the content is hosted by your cable provider (on Comcast anyways)... Last I checked the stream was like 14 Mbps and rock solid speed - zero hiccups ... better quality than the crappy MPEG2 comcast shoves over their boxes

The streams on the WatchESPN app are fantastic, I don't think I'll ever use watchESPN from my computer ever again! When watching from my computer, the quality bumps up and down frequently. When watching via Roku, the quality is constant HD throughout.

I am able to "test out" the WatchESPN login function from my parents, who subscribe to the highest tier Uverse package. That gives me access to every ESPN channel, plus ESPN3 content (which I already had from my internet subscription). I have noticed that the live channels are slightly delayed from live TV, because while watching a game and following along on Twitter, I was frequently getting "spoiled" by events that had not yet occured. So that's a watchout if you like to watch games and read twitter.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1109 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 View Post

Those settings are fine.

If the softness you describe comes and goes, it is likely the adaptive streaming dropping back to a lower resolution due to temporary network congestion. It may be due to networking issues on your end but more often than not is not within your control and involves your ISP, its local network conditions, and your path to the CDN.

What is your network bandwidth reported via speedtest?

Network download speed is 31.81 Mbps.
ROKU 2 is hardwired with an ethernet cable.
post #1110 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I keep that Netflix account setting set to "Auto", which is unbounded; I think that it defaulted to that after they added that setting. "High" is fine though. The HTML5 player bit is about which version of the player you use in web browsers; AFAIK, the HTML5 player only works in a single web browser right now, IE11 on Windows 8, so in any other browser you'd get Silverlight regardless.

You say that "Example Short" runs fine and looks great. It has a bit rate/resolution information burned into its component video encodes (the yellow text in this picture). What does that say when it settles down?

Like I said, the Netflix test "short" runs fine (1920x1080). Crystal clear. Great sound.
Now that I think about it, the "House of Cards" video can clear up and looks sharp for a short time, but reverts to a "soft" picture...
Any other ideas?
I had considered changing the ROKU2 to Wifi, just to see what happens, but I thought that the wired connection would always be better.
FWIW, we just moved the ROKU2 from a 32" flatscreen to a 110" FP system. On the small screen, It looked fine, but on the 110", it looks like SD...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page