post #1111 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

]I have noticed that the live channels are slightly delayed from live TV, because while watching a game and following along on Twitter, I was frequently getting "spoiled" by events that had not yet occured. So that's a watchout if you like to watch games and read twitter.
Yeah, you're going to get that on any streamed feed of a live source. It's just the laws of physics, it takes time to capture the source, convert (and store) it and send it back out again. Now, it's entirely possible when the same supplier is being used to 'reduce' the lag, but there the supplier would have to determine just how much to lag 'all of them' in order to find a balanced delivery. Which would then become a different point of argument for all of the fanatics watching the programming.

Me, nothing I'm watching ever needs to be 'that fast'. I just don't care enough about anything on TV to be that hell bent to get it faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

Like I said, the Netflix test "short" runs fine (1920x1080). Crystal clear. Great sound.
Now that I think about it, the "House of Cards" video can clear up and looks sharp for a short time, but reverts to a "soft" picture...
Any other ideas?
I had considered changing the ROKU2 to Wifi, just to see what happens, but I thought that the wired connection would always be better.
FWIW, we just moved the ROKU2 from a 32" flatscreen to a 110" FP system. On the small screen, It looked fine, but on the 110", it looks like SD...

It sounds like intermittent network congestion then between your Roku and the CDN. Probably little you can do about it other than try different DNS servers in your router. It may provide a better path to the CDN but may not.

I've had mixed results playing around with different DNS servers.
post #1113 of 1153 Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for the info.
I'm not a computer jock and the idea of fooling around with the DNS settings scares me (I need an uninterrupted feed). I'll just live with the soft picture.

One more question:
Is there any evidence that another streaming device (say ROKU3 or Chromecast) can deliver a better picture? From my online look it seems doubtful, but the people here at AVS are usually well informed and up on the latest/greatest gear.
Thanks again.
post #1114 of 1153 Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Newegg has refurbished Roku 2 XS for $40.95 for anyone interested.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #1115 of 1153 Old 01-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

Newegg has refurbished Roku 2 XS for $40.95 for anyone interested.

I just put it up in Found Deals. The $41 price has to be done with a coupon code that I think is generated individually for each newsletter subscriber, but maybe not. Worth a shot. Otherwise, it's $53.
post #1116 of 1153 Old 01-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just got around to trying the new Roku Media Player channel which handles dlna. I was pleasantly surprised that it works well with my XBMC upnp service. The video and music libraries are not too bad,. Movie thumbnails take a bit of time to load, but reasonable. Almost all my movies are MKV , the few I tried played perfectly. I can now access movies on my local NAS, quite happy.

Roku 2xs
post #1117 of 1153 Old 01-06-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Movie thumbnails take a bit of time to load..
Wouldn't this be more dependent on the performance of the software you're using to serve up the movies via DLNA? What software are you using for this?

Which leads to the next question of what can be done to pre-render those to avoid future recalculating?
post #1118 of 1153 Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I am using XBMC to serve the "dlna" libraries. It is installed on my primary HTPC. The movie is then accessed directly from my network smb share.

XBMC caches the thumbnails, the ROKU will not, I assume.
post #1119 of 1153 Old 01-17-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Roku rolled out a sneaky patch overnight to un-root the units that were rooted by the GTVHacker method last month. Apparently GTVHacker's code didn't secure their own update mechanism, and Roku's team found a way to exploit it to install their own update.
post #1120 of 1153 Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 AM

Liked: 14
Nice that the Roku software team can jump right on something. Be even nicer if they could jump on getting Youtube to work in an approved app on the Roku 2.
pbarach likes this.
post #1121 of 1153 Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 AM

My first shot on this topic started a new thread, which I had not intended, so here goes.

Does anyone else have problems with the Showtime app? I installed it and registered it against my Verizon FIOS account; all went smoothly. When I try to go to live feed, it takes 5-10 seconds before it starts up. Once it gets going, there are frequents stops for buffering, some pausing over a minute before resuming. The last time I used it, I finally gave up after 2 minutes of a buffering pause. When I go to a non-live program, it has the same initial starts and stops, although they seem shorter, then seems to eventually go into continuous play.

On a second topic, wonder when Youtube will finally be made available to us second-rate citizens who own a Roku 2. So far, it had been 3 months. I am beginning to think that Roku is trying to get everyone to get rid of their old units and buy 3s. If Chromecast had Amazon Prime, I would make the switch and sell the Roku 2.
post #1122 of 1153 Old 03-17-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedave View Post

On a second topic, wonder when Youtube will finally be made available to us second-rate citizens who own a Roku 2. So far, it had been 3 months. I am beginning to think that Roku is trying to get everyone to get rid of their old units and buy 3s. If Chromecast had Amazon Prime, I would make the switch and sell the Roku 2.

I think the Youtube app has more to do with Google and less to do with Roku.

I've been looking at Chromecast, too, but I think its still too limited to be a replacement for my Roku.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1123 of 1153 Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 478
The problem with YouTube and the new Netflix interface, both of which only work on Roku 3 for the moment (but will also work on the HDMI Streaming Stick when it ships next month) is that they're written in web authoring languages and run in little pared down "browsers". This allows them to make large changes to the UI and player functionality without requiring a firmware update by Roku or other OEMs. For instance, Netflix added Profiles support to the old common UI on the five platforms that I own which had that UI at the time, all without any firmware updates, all on the same day (PS3, WD TV Live, TiVo Roamio, Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and Sony BDP-S390--PS3 and the TiVo now have the new common Netflix UI). Platforms with these common web-tech based UIs share huge amounts of Netflix player code and graphics assets, making it lots easier to maintain players on hundreds of devices.

The negative side of this approach is that it's tons less efficient than other ways to write the applications that are "closer to the metal". These players run horribly on some embedded platforms with slow CPUs and limited memory resources. For instance, the old common UI is very laggy on my BDT220, just barely tolerable; the YouTube player on Roku 3 runs quite well on TiVo Roamio but is so horribly slow on TiVo Premiere as to be unusable, IMO. My guess is that the delay in getting these channels on non-Roku-3-Rokus has got to be optimizing them further to get them to run acceptably on the slower processors of those boxes. The upcoming HDMI Streaming Stick must have a processor nearly as fast or faster than Roku 3's.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1124 of 1153 Old 03-18-2014, 10:12 AM

I am confused why you call the Youtube architecture a problem when you state that this makes it simple to update all those different platforms at once. At this point I would be happy with a slow Youtube interface, if the streaming worked well. My Oppo 93 has a very slow search engine, but streaming is superb. My lap top with a 1st gen i7 has a very fast search, but streaming is just OK, tend to use the Oppo when I care about quality. I could live with slow search on my Roku 2. Methinks Roku is putting their resources onto the new stick; they likely do not want to release it with immediate bad reviews.
post #1125 of 1153 Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedave View Post

I am confused why you call the Youtube architecture a problem when you state that this makes it simple to update all those different platforms at once. At this point I would be happy with a slow Youtube interface, if the streaming worked well. My Oppo 93 has a very slow search engine, but streaming is superb. My lap top with a 1st gen i7 has a very fast search, but streaming is just OK, tend to use the Oppo when I care about quality. I could live with slow search on my Roku 2. Methinks Roku is putting their resources onto the new stick; they likely do not want to release it with immediate bad reviews.

I'm not talking about "slow search"--I'm talking about, every time you hit one of the arrow keys it takes a few seconds for anything to happen. Maybe that's not a problem for you, but it would definitely be a problem for the great majority of the millions of Roku customers who are used to their channel UIs being decently responsive. Like I said, it's pick-the-thing-up-and-toss-it-through-a-window frustrating to try to use on TiVo Premiere.

It is possible that, no matter how slow it is to respond to TiVo commands, it might actually be an okay YouTube casting target; I'll have to try that sometime. That still wouldn't make super laggy direct control okay with most Roku users.

post #1126 of 1153 Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 AM

The first reviews are out for the new stick and it seems to have a slow response but does have Youtube. Maybe a slow Youtube is in the cards for the Roku 2.. It has been over a 1/4 year since Youtube was added to the Roku 3, about time for us second-rate users to get something. I suppose that the Roku software wonks were putting their efforts into the new stick. It will be interesting to see how the Amazon streamer, maybe being announced today, stacks up and how fast it gets apps.
post #1127 of 1153 Old 04-02-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The reviews I've seen say that YouTube and Netflix are slow to load (a little more than 30 seconds). Once they're running the response to commands doesn't seem to be an issue.

post #1128 of 1153 Old 04-23-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
YouTube Now Available on All Current-Generation Roku Players
Roku has announced that YouTube is now available on all current Roku devices. Roku defines "current-generation" as those models introduced after July 2011, including the Roku LT, Roku 1, Roku 2, Roku 2 HD, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2XS, Roku 3, the Roku Streaming Stick (both HDMI and Roku Ready versions) and the Roku HD model #2500.
read more : http://www.rokuguide.com/articles/youtube-now-available-all-current-generation-roku-players

Looks like Roku finally got around to spreading the love. YT.. plays well especially if the You Tube videos are HD it will automatically go full screen and play HD if avail no need change YT video quality settings when viewing on the Roku it's automatic ... or seems to be . Works good when you link your YT acct to the Roku.

You may have force an update if it isn't showing yet my recently purchased Roku 2 had it this morning it received an auto update .

As one would expect It's slow loading (~30sec ) , searching and scrolling You Tube on Roku is than on a PC but otherwise it's Fine once it loads for watching recommended and subscribed channels and playlists . OTOH It's not any slower than other Roku channels once loaded .
I use the PC to search and populate my playlists and watch them on the Roku just like I do on Netflix and Amazon so it's all good .

Good to be able to watch YT without spinning up a PC or PS3.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #1129 of 1153 Old 04-23-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

As one would expect It's slower loading (~30sec ) , searching and scrolling You Tube on Roku than on a PC but otherwise it's Fine once it loads for watching recommended and subscribed channels and playlists . OTOH It's not any slower than other Roku channels once loaded.

It should be noted that it's a DIAL casting target, so you can use the YouTube app on a phone or tablet to locate what you want and cast it to your Roku to play on the big screen. Now friends don't have to gather around a tiny screen to share their favorite YT clips; they can sit around the TV and pass the 2nd screen device around or use their own device.

post #1130 of 1153 Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 302
michaelscott,

Cool, I haven't tried that yet but I did read something about that now that you reminded me cool.gif

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #1131 of 1153 Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I believe that it's identical to using YouTube on Chromecast, though there may be some differences; I don't own a Chromecast.

post #1132 of 1153 Old 04-24-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I plan on testing both the Youtube app and DIAL casting from my phone and tablet. This would replace Twonky Beam for me, as that's pretty much all I was using it for.

post #1133 of 1153 Old 04-24-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I plan on testing both the Youtube app and DIAL casting from my phone and tablet. This would replace Twonky Beam for me, as that's pretty much all I was using it for.
It works pretty good with my Galaxy S4.
post #1134 of 1153 Old 04-24-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Did they add Profiles to the Roku 2 yet?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #1135 of 1153 Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Did they add Profiles to the Roku 2 yet?

Not quite. Profiles will come with the new Netflix player which released on Roku 3 in mid-November and is on the recently launched Roku HDMI Streaming Stick. Roku 3's processor is supposedly 5 times as fast as the other 2nd and 3rd gen models, including the new streaming stick. Roku 3 runs the Netflix player nicely but the new stick is said to take 30 seconds to start the channel and to have laggy response to commands while a stream is playing (PAUSE, FF, REW, etc). The problem is that the player is written in web authoring languages (principally JavaScript) and runs in a "mini-browser" of Netflix's design, optimized for their application. Apparently the new UI's graphically complicated Netflix library browser runs just fine on the stick, which surprises me.

The YouTube player, written in a similar fashion and running on a web-browser-like engine, has just been released for the other 2nd and 3rd gen non-Roku-3 models and seems to run okay on my 2 XS. This might be a precursor to release of the new Netflix on the other 2nd and 3rd gen models. There'd been no official YouTube channel before (though there were some unofficial ones), but Netflix is the premiere channel on Roku; the very first Roku had no other streamers. If they replace the nice, speedy older player with a slow-to-load, slow-to-respond-to-playback commands new version there will be massive customer backlash.

post #1136 of 1153 Old 04-24-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 49

^^^ When I saw the YouTube app-after adding it to my R2 XD, and how different it was from the usual Roku app design, I lamented it's arrival, as it brings us a step closer to Netflix porting over their new UI. Hoped that these older units would get bypassed.  It may not be as fancy as the current one, but I like it nonetheless, and enjoy having a different look when using it.

The annoying, huge rotating picture window for the selected title, will probably be replaced by a single still for the older models, making the waste of space even more glaring. After 6 months, I'm still not warming to it...the ultra black background and heavy shading on the episode pages before arrowing over to them, just....makes the screen depressingly bleak...Bring back the bright and the crisp color. 

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1137 of 1153 Old 04-24-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

The annoying, huge rotating picture window for the selected title, will probably be replaced by a single still for the older models...

I strongly doubt that--I'll ask in the Roku forums about how it runs on the HDMI streaming stick (which is basically a Roku 1).

post #1138 of 1153 Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 49

^Thanks. I am curious as to how the lesser powered Rokus could possibly handle the amount of work that the new UI requires.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1139 of 1153 Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They ran their old common UI on a port of Webkit, which included lots of code for doing things that their UI does not and would never need to do. The browser for that UI is horribly slow and laggy on things like BDPs and WD TV Live; the only thing I ever saw it run really well on was PS3, whose capabilities are overkill for the application. For this new UI they've created their own JavaScript engine, pared down and application optimized, which should run their UI decently on even slow and resource-limited hardware platforms. Making it run on sub-Roku-3 model Rokus is putting that to the test smile.gif.

post #1140 of 1153 Old 04-25-2014, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Before I started using my Roku 2 XS, I was using an old WDTV Live Plus, and it had the Netflix web UI. I liked that much better than what I get on the Roku, as the Roku UI seems extremely rudimentary for what the processor should be capable of displaying. It almost makes me want to get a Roku 3 just for the improved visual aesthetics.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page