*Official* Roku 2 Media Streamer Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1148 Old 04-25-2014, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Installed Youtube on my Roku 2 and it is quite slow. It took 35 seconds just to get past the start up screen, then another 10 or so seconds before it responds to commands from the remote. Search is very slow, maybe a little slower than my Oppo 93. Rapid multiple button pushes usually miss several, so scrolling through the search alphabet line is tedious, wish they had a grid alphabet rather than the single line, would speed things up. Once streaming it seems fine. I will wait a while to see if the Amazon streamer gets better, then decide on whether to replace the 2 with a 3 or the Amazon player. The 2 is much too slow. I do not want to have to use another computer/tablet/smartphone to run the Roku to make things faster, would just as soon use the laptop with HDMI output as the streamer without another box in the loop if that is the sole way to make it respond quickly.

The primary reason I got a Roku was to be able to move it among my various TVs. If I had realized that the 2 was much slower than the 3, I probably would have bought a 3, especially since the 2, with its slower processor, seems to be relegated to 2nd tier support from Roku.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1148 Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

The annoying, huge rotating picture window for the selected title, will probably be replaced by a single still for the older models...

I strongly doubt that--I'll ask in the Roku forums about how it runs on the HDMI streaming stick (which is basically a Roku 1).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

^Thanks. I am curious as to how the lesser powered Rokus could possibly handle the amount of work that the new UI requires.

I was wrong--someone on the Roku forums tested and reported in this post that he only saw a single frame. I guess that the rotating images were a little too much for the platform, either processor- or memory-wise or both. It's taken them 6 months to tweak this to run on the other 2nd and 3rd gen Rokus and its performance still leaves something to be desired.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1143 of 1148 Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 46

^^Again, thanks for inquiring. I guess it's inevitable then, but I was still hopeful they'd let the older Roku models stay as they are. Hmm, message boards allow customization with different skins...I wish they'd at least allow you your choice of looks, especially since they created the new platform and emplemented it while still using the last UI until they were ready to launch the new standard design. The architecture allows it, so why not take advantage of it's versitility?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1144 of 1148 Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just got YouTube working on my Roku 2 XS last night. I'm going to take a "glass is half full" viewpoint; it's way better than no YouTube at all which I had previously.

The initial load is slow, after that it seems OK. Entering letters in the search box is a bit cumbersome, although I thought the search was fine after I got letters entered. Actual streaming is fine. It may be better to use a remote app on a tablet, or do the search on a tablet and "cast" it. I was amazed that my tablet immediately found the Roku and offered to cast to it as soon as I opened YouTube app; no "pairing" operation had to be performed.

I need to experiment more to decide the best ways of doing things, but I am grateful to see the support for older models. It is functional if not quite as hot and sexy as on newer models.
post #1145 of 1148 Old 04-26-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 85
^^
Once you install the YouTube app, then it's much easier to link the app to your phone or tablet's YouTube app and enter your search from the mobile device.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #1146 of 1148 Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know this thread is a bit old, but I got a Roku 2 XS a while back as a low-power alternative to my PS3 for watching media.

I can't get it to show blacker-than-black signals though. Does anyone know if the thing just clips off 0-16 or something, and does it output RGB vs YCbCr? Based on my observations it looks like it's doing RGB limited (16-235) but just dropping everything outside that limited range. I'm using a new Samsung Plasma, if that makes any difference. TIA!
post #1147 of 1148 Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
I know this thread is a bit old, but I got a Roku 2 XS a while back as a low-power alternative to my PS3 for watching media.

I can't get it to show blacker-than-black signals though. Does anyone know if the thing just clips off 0-16 or something, and does it output RGB vs YCbCr? Based on my observations it looks like it's doing RGB limited (16-235) but just dropping everything outside that limited range. I'm using a new Samsung Plasma, if that makes any difference. TIA!
It outputs RGB, from what I have heard. There was a recent discussion about it in the Roku 3 thread.

*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread
post #1148 of 1148 Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
It outputs RGB, from what I have heard. There was a recent discussion about it in the Roku 3 thread.

*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread
Thanks, I'll ask those guys wrt the Roku 3.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page