*Official* Roku 2 Media Streamer Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1141 of 1156 Old 04-25-2014, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Installed Youtube on my Roku 2 and it is quite slow. It took 35 seconds just to get past the start up screen, then another 10 or so seconds before it responds to commands from the remote. Search is very slow, maybe a little slower than my Oppo 93. Rapid multiple button pushes usually miss several, so scrolling through the search alphabet line is tedious, wish they had a grid alphabet rather than the single line, would speed things up. Once streaming it seems fine. I will wait a while to see if the Amazon streamer gets better, then decide on whether to replace the 2 with a 3 or the Amazon player. The 2 is much too slow. I do not want to have to use another computer/tablet/smartphone to run the Roku to make things faster, would just as soon use the laptop with HDMI output as the streamer without another box in the loop if that is the sole way to make it respond quickly.

The primary reason I got a Roku was to be able to move it among my various TVs. If I had realized that the 2 was much slower than the 3, I probably would have bought a 3, especially since the 2, with its slower processor, seems to be relegated to 2nd tier support from Roku.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1156 Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

The annoying, huge rotating picture window for the selected title, will probably be replaced by a single still for the older models...

I strongly doubt that--I'll ask in the Roku forums about how it runs on the HDMI streaming stick (which is basically a Roku 1).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

^Thanks. I am curious as to how the lesser powered Rokus could possibly handle the amount of work that the new UI requires.

I was wrong--someone on the Roku forums tested and reported in this post that he only saw a single frame. I guess that the rotating images were a little too much for the platform, either processor- or memory-wise or both. It's taken them 6 months to tweak this to run on the other 2nd and 3rd gen Rokus and its performance still leaves something to be desired.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1143 of 1156 Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 65

^^Again, thanks for inquiring. I guess it's inevitable then, but I was still hopeful they'd let the older Roku models stay as they are. Hmm, message boards allow customization with different skins...I wish they'd at least allow you your choice of looks, especially since they created the new platform and emplemented it while still using the last UI until they were ready to launch the new standard design. The architecture allows it, so why not take advantage of it's versitility?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1144 of 1156 Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just got YouTube working on my Roku 2 XS last night. I'm going to take a "glass is half full" viewpoint; it's way better than no YouTube at all which I had previously.

The initial load is slow, after that it seems OK. Entering letters in the search box is a bit cumbersome, although I thought the search was fine after I got letters entered. Actual streaming is fine. It may be better to use a remote app on a tablet, or do the search on a tablet and "cast" it. I was amazed that my tablet immediately found the Roku and offered to cast to it as soon as I opened YouTube app; no "pairing" operation had to be performed.

I need to experiment more to decide the best ways of doing things, but I am grateful to see the support for older models. It is functional if not quite as hot and sexy as on newer models.
post #1145 of 1156 Old 04-26-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 96
^^
Once you install the YouTube app, then it's much easier to link the app to your phone or tablet's YouTube app and enter your search from the mobile device.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #1146 of 1156 Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I know this thread is a bit old, but I got a Roku 2 XS a while back as a low-power alternative to my PS3 for watching media.

I can't get it to show blacker-than-black signals though. Does anyone know if the thing just clips off 0-16 or something, and does it output RGB vs YCbCr? Based on my observations it looks like it's doing RGB limited (16-235) but just dropping everything outside that limited range. I'm using a new Samsung Plasma, if that makes any difference. TIA!
post #1147 of 1156 Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
I know this thread is a bit old, but I got a Roku 2 XS a while back as a low-power alternative to my PS3 for watching media.

I can't get it to show blacker-than-black signals though. Does anyone know if the thing just clips off 0-16 or something, and does it output RGB vs YCbCr? Based on my observations it looks like it's doing RGB limited (16-235) but just dropping everything outside that limited range. I'm using a new Samsung Plasma, if that makes any difference. TIA!
It outputs RGB, from what I have heard. There was a recent discussion about it in the Roku 3 thread.

*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread
post #1148 of 1156 Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
It outputs RGB, from what I have heard. There was a recent discussion about it in the Roku 3 thread.

*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread
Thanks, I'll ask those guys wrt the Roku 3.
post #1149 of 1156 Old 07-17-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Thanks, I'll ask those guys wrt the Roku 3.
re/ Tubetwister

My Roku 1 and 2 (new models) get decently black but as mentioned earlier probably not blacker than black it's as watchable most any video stream though no readily apparent major problems .

ofc it could depend on the TV My Sony LED supports most anything you throw at it including 0 - 255 ‎YCbCr or RGB .
The Sammie plasma is on a PS3 and the LG LED on the other Roku with an S - IPS panel doesn't get black enough to worry about it anyway ☺☺

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #1150 of 1156 Old 07-17-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
michaeltscott wrote ,

On Roku 3 it now starts up in 2 seconds flat--it's breathtaking . The first time you start it each day it asks what profile you want to use, but on subsequent starts it takes you back to precisely where you were when you exited, with state entirely intact. If you'd been scrolling around through various genre rows they will all be scrolled to where you left them; if you were browsing the episodes of a series, it will return to that with the same episode selected.

re tubetwister .

FWIW as you know Roku 1 & 2 (new models ) are running on build 5.5
R/ 1 & 2 do not return to exact Netflix state on reload though. No Roku session kid profiles only generas or pin or password protected adult profiles on R /1 & 2 .

ofc kids could always find objectionable stuff on the other channels ☺

5.5 seems a little faster on most things overall now including You Tube although You Tube is still to slow to my liking on Roku 1 & 2 but a nice improvement from what it was (intolerable ) it is less intolerable now ☺ no worries here I can use YT on a connected PC or over the PC /TV Lan which is way faster that way anyway . Others if using You tube on Roku should still look to a Roku 3 .

Actually making You Tube Playlists on a PC and watching them on Roku is pretty effective also
and as a work around otherwise remediates a lot of the issues with YT being slow on Roku 1/2
not a 100% for sure cure but it helps a lot.

I also do that with Amazon Prime library and Netflix Mylist it works remarkably well .

Seem like Amazon Prime /instant or whatever they call it recently added a ton of genres and sub genres .
I believe they stream HD in 1080p on supported devices with adequate ip bandwidth now also .

Browsing Netflix , You Tube and Amazon etc. on a PC and populating your playlists for later viewing on a Roku or any ip DPD is a snap and a good time saver also you can have an IMDb tab open to check our the IMDb + rotten tomato
ratings and descriptions + previews if you don't have an installed PC Netflix Enhancer browser extension .

.IMDb/ Rotten Tomato ratings and descriptions + pre views are not embedded in Roku /Netflix channel but are avail on PC on the Netflix site embedded in the movie cover art image for rated videos you can click on it for full description and pre view (with the applicable Netflix enhancer PC browser extension )

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-18-2014 at 01:13 AM. Reason: sp
post #1151 of 1156 Old 07-19-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I got a Roku3 and gave my ~2 year old roku 2 to my dad to replace his hd. He likes the speed bump, but I can't get the Youtube app to sync with his account.

I put his google id in, but it says he has no channels or content.

Has anyone gotten this working on a an original 2, in his case an xd? Not the model they are currently selling called a 2. It seem to work for me on my xs but not well. It gives me my subscriptions, but nothing else. Today it is giving me errors retrieving show list. If you click through that it crashes.
post #1152 of 1156 Old 07-19-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
YouTube works fine on my Roku 2xs. Maybe try a factory reset.
post #1153 of 1156 Old 07-19-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

I put his google id in, but it says he has no channels or content.

Has anyone gotten this working on a an original 2, in his case an xd? Not the model they are currently selling called a 2. It seem to work for me on my xs but not well. It gives me my subscriptions, but nothing else. Today it is giving me errors retrieving show list. If you click through that it crashes.
I also have the 2XD and never had a problem linking the Youtube app with my YT ID.
Sign out of the app or delete it from his Roku list, then add it again. When launching it generates an activation code that you take online to his account on the pc, rather than just signing in on the Roku...
tubetwister likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 07-19-2014 at 11:02 AM.
post #1154 of 1156 Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Is Netflix resolution currently constrained on your Roku (not Roku 3 or HDMI Stick)? Play "El Fuente: 60 MP10", a clip with bit rate/resolution information printed on each of its constituent video encodes (you could also use "Example Short 23.976" or "Test Pattern: Downscaling 2997fps 10Min", but "El Fuente", a colorful travelogue of Mexico, is the most pleasant) . Does it get to the 4300- and/or 5800 Kbps 1080p encode? My Roku 2XS currently isn't getting over 720p. This is also true of my WD TV Live, Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and Sony BDP-S390. None of my other devices have this constraint (Roku 3, TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere, Xbox One, PS3, Win8 Netflix app or HTML5 Netflix website player in IE11 on Win8). I and other have been trying to figure out a pattern, if there is one.

Please make sure that your Display setting is 1080p. State whether you're wired or wireless and the nominal speed of your network service. (My Roku 2XS is wired and I have 50 Mbps service from Cox Communications, a Netflix Open Connect partner).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1155 of 1156 Old 09-03-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Is Netflix resolution currently constrained on your Roku (not Roku 3 or HDMI Stick)? Play "El Fuente: 60 MP10", a clip with bit rate/resolution information printed on each of its constituent video encodes...
The best I could get on my Roku 2 XS (wired) was 1280X720 at 3000 kbps. I also played it on my Samsung BD-FM59C and got 1920X1080 at 5800 kbps. The resolution ramped up much faster on the BD player as well. I have 50/25 internet from FiOS.
post #1156 of 1156 Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs down NHL Game Center 2014/2015 sucks on Roku

I have a Roku 3 and the interface sucks on Roku compared to the one for iPad and a Sony BR player I have. The iPad is the best since it allows instant game to game viewing changes followed by the Sony player interface where you only have to press Return, pick a different game and it comes up in a second or two. With Roko you have back out to the game list and then chose your viewing options to start watching a game everytime. If Roku had a better remote the NHL interface could be made to work better with it.
I have FIOS 35/35 and the picture and stream work great for those not sure whether to ger GC or CI, plus I don't need to pay for a cable box for every TV I want to watch it at. Its also cheaper than CI.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page