post #151 of 1155 Old 08-19-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarner View Post

I use my Tivo series 3 for Netflix, but it has a couple issues, and I'd like to know if the Roku would be a worthy replacement before buying one and setting up an account.

For multi-episode shows:

1. If you stop in mid-series, and come back later, does Roku make it clear what episode is the next unwatched one? If so, does it automatically jump to that one, or do you have to page through them all to find it?
(On Tivo, you have to remember the episode number/name, or write it down)

2. When done playing an episode, how many keystrokes does it take to play the next one (Two on the Tivo)

3. In lists of instant viewing shows does it show a graph indicating the amount viewed already? (Tivo: you need to check the details on each one to see what's been partially viewed)

4. Can you find and queue up new shows via the Roku interface, or do you have to go to the web, and log into Netflix to find new shows (Tivo)

1: when I come back it's either on the last episode I watched(If I didn't finish it) or on the next episode.

2. If I remember correctly, when I finish watching an episode, it goes back to the menu with the next episode there and the play box is highlighted. So it's just a matter of hitting the select button for the next epsiode to start playing.(But if there is 5.1 audio available, you have to manually select the 5.1 track for each title since it always defaults to the 2.0 PCM track.)

3. Yes. There is a bar that shows the amount viewed.

4. Yes you can find new shows form searching or browsing and add it directly to your queue.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1155 Old 08-19-2011, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

t also includes "Recommended for dwarner" based on your viewing habits.

Thanks for the reply,

I know this is Netflix's problem, not Roku.. I'd just as soon they didn't display any history of my viewing at all, and at least not display recommendations up front based on what I watched. Example, I watch some anime items, and the suggestions list fills up with kiddie cartoons..
post #153 of 1155 Old 08-20-2011, 05:49 AM

I am thinking about getting a Roku 2 XS from Bestbuy today. If you guys had to do it again, would you still buy one?
post #154 of 1155 Old 08-20-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarner View Post
I know this is Netflix's problem, not Roku.. I'd just as soon they didn't display any history of my viewing at all, and at least not display recommendations up front based on what I watched. Example, I watch some anime items, and the suggestions list fills up with kiddie cartoons..
The top list is my Queue, and the second is the search option. The third option down, which is off the screen, is the "Top 10 for...". And further on down, there's a category for Anime with 50 suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ View Post
I am thinking about getting a Roku 2 XS from Bestbuy today. If you guys had to do it again, would you still buy one?
Yes, if you know the limitations going in (no optical was my biggest one), it's a great Netflix streamer.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #155 of 1155 Old 08-20-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

As first reported here:

Quote:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:11 am
Release Notes:

Improved playback compatibility with HLS streams provided by Wowza servers

Fixed an occasional crash that would occur during HDMI input negotiation

Fixed a rare crash that could occur for DNS lookup failures

Roku firmware updates are automatic and most players will be updated over the next week. If you would like to get the latest firmware version immediately you can always go to Settings > Software Update on your Roku 2 Streaming Player.

We want to thank you for taking the time to share your issues on this forum and for your patience as we continue to work towards the best streaming player experience. We welcome any feedback you have about this software update as well as your opinions on what features or improvements you'd like to see in future releases. Write us at feedback@roku.com.

C. Shawn Smith

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #156 of 1155 Old 08-20-2011, 06:23 PM

I got it but I am having audio issues. I have it hooked up via hdmi to my var. If I pause netflix the sound goes out. Ideas?
post #157 of 1155 Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM

So I'm finally cutting my cable and in the market for a media streaming device. I'm curious about the Roku 2 XS: does the device itself get loud during streams? I ask because I'm currently streaming on an older Xbox 360 and boy is it loud! Still unsure if I should get the LG BD670 or a Roku 2 XS so any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
post #158 of 1155 Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by keinaru View Post

So I'm finally cutting my cable and in the market for a media streaming device. I'm curious about the Roku 2 XS: does the device itself get loud during streams? I ask because I'm currently streaming on an older Xbox 360 and boy is it loud! Still unsure if I should get the LG BD670 or a Roku 2 XS so any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

The Roku2 is silent. There are no fans and it only uses 2 watts. Yes 2 watts. It is also extremely small. I was shocked how small it was when I unboxed it.

post #159 of 1155 Old 08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So I am pretty happy with my new ROKU 2 XS - with one proviso - the black level issue reported earlier in this thread.

The ROKU 2 XS is sending PC level signals over HDMI resulting in crushed blacks and loss of show detail. If they fix this soon I will keep it.

1080 P and 5.1 Audio on Netflix and 2 watts playback is great - but they need to fix the black level issue soon.

They have acknowledged over on the ROKU forums - so hopefully it won't be too long.
post #160 of 1155 Old 08-21-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

So I am pretty happy with my new ROKU 2 XS - with one proviso - the black level issue reported earlier in this thread.

The ROKU 2 XS is sending PC level signals over HDMI resulting in crushed blacks and loss of show detail. If they fix this soon I will keep it.

1080 P and 5.1 Audio on Netflix and 2 watts playback is great - but they need to fix the black level issue soon.

They have acknowledged over on the ROKU forums - so hopefully it won't be too long.

I forgot about it since it doesn't affect me. I just set my DUO to expect a PC input and it's fine.

They are supposed to have a fix for it in a future update, but they have not said when though.

post #161 of 1155 Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 PM

If I can bug you again, aaronwt:

Can I use a usb hub in the usb slot? I'd like to get a usb powered fan to cool the cabinet but would also like to be able to plug in an external hd at the same time.

EDIT: Nevermind on that. Looks like 5v might not be enough for both so I'll do what some have recommended and get an AC>12vDC 4pin molex for the fan and use case fans.

Secondly: I notice that the XS can take Micro SD cards for channel expansion and whatnot; does it take sdhc cards?

Thanks again
post #162 of 1155 Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm almost 100% sure it won't handle a hub - it doesn't even handle external hd's unless they are self powered.

And IIRC it can take up to a 4gb card.. but don't quote me.
post #163 of 1155 Old 08-22-2011, 05:12 AM

I can't fix the sound issues. I am taking this back today and getting a google tv.
post #164 of 1155 Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Liked: 93
I have an 8GB SDHC in mine that works just fine.
post #165 of 1155 Old 08-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post

I'm almost 100% sure it won't handle a hub - it doesn't even handle external hd's unless they are self powered.

And IIRC it can take up to a 4gb card.. but don't quote me.

Powers up a Toshiba Canvio HD via USB no problem
post #166 of 1155 Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Bought two Roku2 units. Used them for a week. Buggy as hell, so they've been sent back. Roku is terrible with CS, answering questions or generally just putting out intel to their customers of when and how they intend on turning this very beta-like product ready for prime time.

They have their fanboys on their forum, which is why I rarely post there anymore. Roku, in their eyes, can do no wrong. Yeah, right.

BN
post #167 of 1155 Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

Bought two Roku2 units. Used them for a week. Buggy as hell, so they've been sent back.

What bugs did you find? I've been using one for a week or so with no problems.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #168 of 1155 Old 08-23-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mine has been working very well too. The biggest issue is the video level being 0-255 instead of the 16-235 it should be. But that hasn't affected me since I can just change the input of my DUO to expect a PC input.

post #169 of 1155 Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Mine crashed quite a bit during the first week until they released the first patch. And the video level issue is annoying, but they have made a commitment to fix it, which they have an excellent track record on with the Roku 1. Otherwise, the device has been just fine. My 360 still gets used far more often for streaming video in the living room, but the Roku will be an excellent device when it moves to the exercise room in my new house.

Roku 2 isn't as awesome as I initially thought, but it is still the best streaming value around and operates in a perfectly acceptable fashion.
post #170 of 1155 Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Have they changed the interface in this new version?

I have the old roku and the interface is hot garbage compare to the apple tv

Specially Netflix
post #171 of 1155 Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 PM

The Netflix interface is perfectly acceptable. It isn't nearly the quality of the 360 version, but nothing is.

The main menu is where I have the biggest problem. I wish it was more of a 3x5 grid instead of just one long left-to-right stream.
post #172 of 1155 Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatorTot View Post
Have they changed the interface in this new version?

I have the old roku and the interface is hot garbage compare to the apple tv

Specially Netflix
Same Netflix interface as the older generation Roku. Not as good at ATV in my opinion.
post #173 of 1155 Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ View Post

Yes
post #174 of 1155 Old 08-24-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

What bugs did you find? I've been using one for a week or so with no problems.

ditto with one month of use.
post #175 of 1155 Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just bought the Roku 2 XS today to attempt to replace an LG BD390 as I wish to include Amazon video as well and 5.1 audio.

First off the menu is much better on the Roku. I don't like the video at first but it does get better. I have a RR Turbo account so I can't see why it even has to adept. The picture on the BD 390 though is much better, sharper, more vivid, and the blacks are much better.

Now the audio, 5.1. When I view a program that does have it in 5.1 the show starts and then the screen turns to a dark purple tint and is unfocused. As soon as I switch it back to 2.0 it is fine. Anyone ever run across this? If I could get this resolved I may keep it until the black level patch is released. Thanks.

BTW I have a Samsung HLT 7288 tv. The Roku is hooked to an Onkyo 809 via hdmi.
post #176 of 1155 Old 08-27-2011, 01:53 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

Now the audio, 5.1. When I view a program that does have it in 5.1 the show starts and then the screen turns to a dark purple tint and is unfocused. As soon as I switch it back to 2.0 it is fine. Anyone ever run across this? If I could get this resolved I may keep it until the black level patch is released. Thanks.

How is 5.1 audio from Amazon?
post #177 of 1155 Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I just bought the Roku 2 XS today to attempt to replace an LG BD390 as I wish to include Amazon video as well and 5.1 audio.

First off the menu is much better on the Roku. I don't like the video at first but it does get better. I have a RR Turbo account so I can't see why it even has to adept. The picture on the BD 390 though is much better, sharper, more vivid, and the blacks are much better.

I've had my Roku2 for a month now and I've not seen any issues like that from it.
The black level issue is because it's sending out PC levels instead of video levels. Once my I changed my scaler to accept the PC levels from that input, the Roku2 black levels were fine. No different than from my BD390.
The picture colors are identical to the BD390 once adjusted properly. The base picture might be a liitle sharper on the BD390, but that is probably the internal settings of the Roku2 doing that. No idea if they will be changed at some point.

Plus the BD 390 doe snot have access to the 1080P/5.1 content from Netflix like the Roku 2 has. That is a nice improvement form the 720P/2.0 pcm encodes that the BD390 plays.

post #178 of 1155 Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Got it fixed. The Onkyo 809 has some great video processing under the hood and although I had it set to "through" for the Roku once I set it to "direct" it now works fine. Picture and sound are great. Looks different now, damn good. What baffles me is that according to the Onkyo manual the through and direct mode are the same when using hdmi. Oh well, I am happy. Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I've had my Roku2 for a month now and I've not seen any issues like that from it.
The black level issue is because it's sending out PC levels instead of video levels. Once my I changed my scaler to accept the PC levels from that input, the Roku2 black levels were fine. No different than from my BD390.
The picture colors are identical to the BD390 once adjusted properly. The base picture might be a liitle sharper on the BD390, but that is probably the internal settings of the Roku2 doing that. No idea if they will be changed at some point.

Plus the BD 390 doe snot have access to the 1080P/5.1 content from Netflix like the Roku 2 has. That is a nice improvement form the 720P/2.0 pcm encodes that the BD390 plays.

post #179 of 1155 Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got it fixed. The Onkyo 809 has some great video processing under the hood and although I had it set to "through" for the Roku once I set it to "direct" it now works fine. Picture and sound are great. Looks different now, damn good. What baffles me is that according to the Onkyo manual the through and direct mode are the same when using hdmi. Oh well, I am happy. Thanks for the replies guys.

I just got a ROKU 2 XS and have previously been using a BD390 for Netflix. I am using an Onkyo RC-360 in direct mode - which according the manual mean it passes the image through without resolution or other processing - so similar to you.

Are you saying the Black Level are correct now on the ROKU? That is NOT true in my set up - I still get crushed blacks because of the PC levels from the ROKU 2. ROKU have said they will fix this - and if they do I will use the ROKU 2 - because as aaronwt says as it supports up to 1080P playback (which is noticeably better for me) with 5.1 audio (all at 2W) vs 720P stereo on the BD390. However for now the BD390 gives a better overall picture because blacks are correct.

NOTE I can change the black in the TV - so I can see what the ROKU 2 can do with the correct black level - however if I do this DirecTV and Blu-Ray etc from the BD390 are incorrect. Frankly it is too much of pain (and confusing for the rest of the family) to switch black levels on the TV each time a different source is used - so the BD390 does the netflix for now
post #180 of 1155 Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazon has this message on their ROKU 2 XS listing - wonder what is going on?

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page