*Official* Roku 2 Media Streamer Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1153 Old 08-28-2011, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No, black levels are not fixed. I was just referring to the purple screen vs what it looks like now. I just watched The Reef and the contrast level looked like torch mode. The BD390 puts out a much better picture at this moment.I also tried MKV and was shocked that it is broken for now. Maybe this and the black levels is what Amazon is hinting to? I have 30 days to return it and hope the picture and mkv issues are resolved. Would hate to return it and give up the 5.1.

Also the 5.1 with Amazon is is really nice. Hate the menu or lack of it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

I just got a ROKU 2 XS and have previously been using a BD390 for Netflix. I am using an Onkyo RC-360 in direct mode - which according the manual mean it passes the image through without resolution or other processing - so similar to you.

Are you saying the Black Level are correct now on the ROKU? That is NOT true in my set up - I still get crushed blacks because of the PC levels from the ROKU 2. ROKU have said they will fix this - and if they do I will use the ROKU 2 - because as aaronwt says as it supports up to 1080P playback (which is noticeably better for me) with 5.1 audio (all at 2W) vs 720P stereo on the BD390. However for now the BD390 gives a better overall picture because blacks are correct.

NOTE I can change the black in the TV - so I can see what the ROKU 2 can do with the correct black level - however if I do this DirecTV and Blu-Ray etc from the BD390 are incorrect. Frankly it is too much of pain (and confusing for the rest of the family) to switch black levels on the TV each time a different source is used - so the BD390 does the netflix for now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1153 Old 08-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

No, black levels are not fixed. I was just referring to the purple screen vs what it looks like now. I just watched The Reef and the contrast level looked like torch mode. The BD390 puts out a much better picture at this moment.I also tried MKV and was shocked that it is broken for now. Maybe this and the black levels is what Amazon is hinting to? I have 30 days to return it and hope the picture and mkv issues are resolved. Would hate to return it and give up the 5.1.

Also the 5.1 with Amazon is is really nice. Hate the menu or lack of it though.

What do you mean that mkv is broken?
post #183 of 1153 Old 08-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post

What do you mean that mkv is broken?

They disabled the mkv file playback via the usb due to problems. Once they figure out how to proceed it is supposed to be put back in via a firmware update.
post #184 of 1153 Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They disabled the mkv file playback via the usb due to problems. Once they figure out how to proceed it is supposed to be put back in via a firmware update.

OK thanks. I guess you mean playing mkv files from a usb stick.

I use Plex and they play fine on the Roku2, but perhaps the Plex server transcodes them.
post #185 of 1153 Old 08-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK thanks. I guess you mean playing mkv files from a usb stick.

I use Plex and they play fine on the Roku2, but perhaps the Plex server transcodes them.

What is plex?
post #186 of 1153 Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

What is plex?

Look here:

http://www.plexapp.com/
post #187 of 1153 Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd417 View Post

Look here:

http://www.plexapp.com/

Thanks. But I am lost, I didn't think you could stream vids off of your computer to the Roku 2? Or am I really lost.
post #188 of 1153 Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks. But I am lost, I didn't think you could stream vids off of your computer to the Roku 2? Or am I really lost.

There are third party channels that allow this, I use roksbox, but there is chaneru, plex, and a few others.

It involves setting up a webserver on your computer and pointing the channel at your internal webserver on your computer.

I stream up loads of things from my main computer in the "computer room" to the living room or bedroom Roku's. Very handy. Roksbox even will show pictures and music files.

I have a folder setup with our top 20 favorite movies that are always available, another folder with family video, etc. The files do have to be in a compliant format, but that isn't a big deal, either.
post #189 of 1153 Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. Does Roksbox support 5.1? Plex does not, and besides I can't get Plex to work. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post

There are third party channels that allow this, I use roksbox, but there is chaneru, plex, and a few others.

It involves setting up a webserver on your computer and pointing the channel at your internal webserver on your computer.

I stream up loads of things from my main computer in the "computer room" to the living room or bedroom Roku's. Very handy. Roksbox even will show pictures and music files.

I have a folder setup with our top 20 favorite movies that are always available, another folder with family video, etc. The files do have to be in a compliant format, but that isn't a big deal, either.

post #190 of 1153 Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Does Roksbox support 5.1? Plex does not, and besides I can't get Plex to work. Thanks.
From what I've read, currently it is a Roku firmware limitation the 5.1 sound isn't supported. If Roku updates to allow it Plex will add this in.

What server are you using for Plex? Mac or Windows?

See Plex forum for updates to address the Roku2 not playing:

For Mac server: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...ost__p__186400

For Windows server: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...ost__p__186507
post #191 of 1153 Old 08-31-2011, 05:02 PM

Liked: 18
Would Roku2 support 3D programming down the road?

Cheers
post #192 of 1153 Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
So, how does one know that the micro sd card I put in there is actually being used? It didn't ask me to format it nor do I see it anywhere in the settings. Do I just take it's word?

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #193 of 1153 Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 PM

Liked: 93
It should ask you to format it. Mine didn't recognize at first either. Pop it out and pop it back in.
post #194 of 1153 Old 08-31-2011, 07:05 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

So, how does one know that the micro sd card I put in there is actually being used? It didn't ask me to format it nor do I see it anywhere in the settings. Do I just take it's word?

Turn Roku2 OFF then ON; wait till Roku2 restart then take the card & HDMI out while Roku2 is ON, re-insert card & HDMI.
It should ask you to format it! Follow on screen prompt....

You don't have to remove HDMI out from Roku2, if you're able to insert the card easily while it's connected!

Good luck.
post #195 of 1153 Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 682
You shouldn't need to do any of that while it is on. I just unplugged the power cord from mine, inserted the card and powered it up. Then it went through the format process.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #196 of 1153 Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

From what I've read, currently it is a Roku firmware limitation the 5.1 sound isn't supported. If Roku updates to allow it Plex will add this in.

I know lots of people who do use ac3. From what I remember (because I don't do it), is that you have to have an aac/mp3 track and you can do a digital passthrough on the second track. I am not sure if the order matters (you can make a few 2 minute test files to figure it all out) I also believe the files have to be .mkv (which has been temporarily turned off on the Roku2). I might be wrong though and you are able to do that on an .mp4 file, again, either read up at the Roku forums or just try...
post #197 of 1153 Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

It should ask you to format it. Mine didn't recognize at first either. Pop it out and pop it back in.

Thanks. Had to do it twice in order for it to see it. It might just be me but I think inserting the card made the device slower.

post #198 of 1153 Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Liked: 12
Been using the bedroom XS2 for internet radio and enjoying it. I hooked up a couple of bookshelf speakers powered with a small amp using the composite cable so the TV can be off. Too bad the composite video out will not work with the HDMI port in use.

Update: Moved the amp and speakers to another room and replaced them with a Vizio VBS200 soundbar nice upgrade.
post #199 of 1153 Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
anyone using a Roku 2 hooked up through an Algolith Flea? Some reason mine wont allow 1080p when ran through the Flea. I can select it but its just 480p. 720p is fine. I bypassed the Flea and ran right to my DVDO Edge and 1080p works as it should. Strange.

Nvm. Someone told me why...
post #200 of 1153 Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No one else got .1275? I got it last night with a manual check. I figured it would be posted on their forum today, but its not and no one is talking about it.

Can't say I notice a difference, but...
post #201 of 1153 Old 09-06-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

No one else got .1275? I got it last night with a manual check. I figured it would be posted on their forum today, but its not and no one is talking about it.

Thanks to your heads up, I got it by manual download today, too. Still no mention on the "Official Roku Forum."

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #202 of 1153 Old 09-06-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

I got it on Friday with a manual check. I only checked to see if it fixed the video level output, which it did not.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #203 of 1153 Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Release notes for firmware 4.1 b1275 are now posted on the Roku forums. Not a lot there.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43368
post #204 of 1153 Old 09-08-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Might as well post the details here and save another click.

Quote:

Release notes for 4.1 b1275:

Fixed a problem which caused wifi connections to occasionally drop with some routers
Fixed a rare crash during adaptive stream video playback
Fixed support for relative path names in HLS playback
Fixed a problem that could cause ratings and parental guidance values to appear different between rows in Netflix

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #205 of 1153 Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I'm interested in a Roku 2 XS, but I'm waiting until the promised firmware update comes to fix the too-dark picture issue. Is the wait over??

From the Roku forum:

RokuShawnS wrote:The official word is that the fix for it is in internal testing now, and barring unforeseen issues, should be available with the next update. No ETA one when that update will take place, however.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php...42139&start=90
post #206 of 1153 Old 09-26-2011, 04:06 PM

I posted this on Roku's forums a few days ago, so far the answers are not very optimistic, it seems that a Roku support guy was not able to reproduce the issue, I was wondering if you guys would be able to give this a try and (hopefully) you will have the same issue and it's not just my box going nuts.

Quote:

When I bought the Roku I believe I didn't have this issues, but now, I'm constantly seeing three issues:

1) The Netflix channel doesn't retrieve what was the last episode of a TV Show watched, so it always defaults to episode one and I have to manually "guess" which was the last one I watched and play the one after that.

2) Related to "issue number one", when I go into "choose a different episode" of a TV Show, it will not display the watched status bar below the episodes so that I can see, again, the episodes that I've watched.

3) Since it doesn't seem to remember anything at all, if I stopped watching at the middle of an episode, it will not give me the option to resume from that point, it starts from the beginning.

It is very easy for me to replicate this issue, here's a few steps:
- Launch the Netflix Channel;
- Search for the show "Greek";
- Start playing episode 1;
- Skip to the middle of the episode, watch it for a few seconds then stop the playback;
- Roku will indeed show up a resume option and if you go into "Choose a different episode" you will see the nice blue bar with how much you've watch from that episode;
- Choose another episode to watch, for example episode 4;
- Skip to 1 minute or so before the ending of the episode, and watch the ending credits until the end;
- It goes back to the "Show details" and it will indeed ask you to play episode 5;
- If you go into "choose a different episode" you will also see that episode 4 is marked as watched (i.e., the blue bar fills the episode);
- Now exit the channel, going back to the home screen;
- Wait a few seconds, launch the channel again;
- Go to the show "Greek";
- It should ask you to watch episode 5, but it will default to episode 1 (again!!), and with no option to resume (remember you already watched some of it before, so at the very least it should ask you to resume from the middle),
- If you go into "choose a different episode" it will no longer have any of the info that it had before, no watch/resume history what-so-ever.

It seems that when you launch the channel it is storing your history (and it sends it to the netflix's servers because I can see everything correctly marked as watched on the netflix website), but it doesn't seem to be retrieving that info correctly each time you launch the channel or something.

Below is a list of ...
TV Shows which have this issues:
- 30 Rock
- Greek
- Heroes
- Ugly Betty
- Desperate Housewives
- Felicity
- Weeds
- Brothers & Sisters
- Glee

TV Shows which (I think) don't have this issues:
- Torchwood
- Lost
- Dirt
- Switched at Birth
- The Glades

For movies I haven't found one that wouldn't resume, but I don't watch many movies, so ... it might happen.

Please note that I don't have this issue on the netflix website (which shows everything I watched and is able to resume correctly) nor on my other Netflix client, the Boxee Box.

I also made a video to demonstrate what I'm seeing on my tv.

Original topic here

This, along with the colorspace issue is driving me nuts, because other than that, this little box with Netflix+Hulu+Plex is perfect for my needs.

Thanks in advance
post #207 of 1153 Old 09-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Samukas, I don't have that problem on my roku2. It always remembers where it left off. It even remembers across devices. TiVo remembers, apple tv, the web, it always remembers, even the time location.

post #208 of 1153 Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by samukas View Post

This, along with the colorspace issue is driving me nuts, because other than that, this little box with Netflix+Hulu+Plex is perfect for my needs.

Thanks in advance

I have the colorspace issue (which they have confirmed and are working on for a later release date) but all the other issues I don't have. It remembers what episode I've watched on series (and even greys out the watched ones to indicate they've been viewed) and I can resume movies or TV shows from the stop point....
post #209 of 1153 Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the answer guys. Did you try for one of those shows that I mentioned? For me, not all shows are showing this behaviour, for some reason...

Edit: Created a new Netflix account (free trial) just to make sure that it wasn't my account having a problem and I'm having the same issue on the exact same shows.
That is, "Switched at Birth" will show me the resume option and watched history, but "Greek" won't.
post #210 of 1153 Old 09-27-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just bought the Roku 2 XS for a wi-fi bedroom set-up. When I stream a tv show (specifically Prison Break in 1080 stereo), the connection drops VERY frequently and I have to go to the set-up screen to refresh and regain connection.

Any advice?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page