AVS Forum banner

*Official* Roku 2 Media Streamer Thread

170K views 1K replies 185 participants last post by  krisbee 
#1 ·
There has been a bit of buzz in the blogosphere about the upcoming refresh of Roku's media streamer lineup:

Roku 2 Launching with Angry Birds (from Dave Zatz)

Roku 2 - Nearly Upon Us? (from Dave Zatz)

It appears as if the devices are slated to appear in stores on July 24. Let us use this thread to discuss the features of the Roku 2 and share tips and tricks.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/20716308

That video in your first link has to be a marketing gimmick (LOL). So for Roku 2 itself, other than the addition of Bluetooth & ability to play 'Angry Birds', anything exciting about it?

NDA lifting in 3 - 4 hours time.

But, you can catch a glimpse of what Roku posted on their blog (and later took out) here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

I think the exciting thing about the Roku 2 is that it will be the second media streamer after PS3 to fully support Netflix 1080p + English subtitles + DDPlus 5.1 audio track.

Stay tuned for more coverage at 12:02 AM PST

#4 ·
The thing about the PS3 is that it can't pass-through DD+ (outputs DD 640k) or 24FPS on anything other than Blu-Ray playback, so I guess going to the Roku would be a logical choice for me. It's frustrating, otherwise the PS3 would be perfect.

That said, are the older Roku models getting the Netflix 1080p update? If so I won't have to shell out $100 for the new ethernet model, I can get the older $80 one with ethernet.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I was out of HDMI ports. So I just ordered up a 5x1 HDMI switch, some new cabling for it, and a Roku 2 XS. The fact that the Roku 2 HD only does 720p, and the Roku 2 XS comes with the $30 remote makes it a pretty big "no-brainer" choice over the Roku 2 XD for me.

I've watched the original Roku grow over the last 3 or 4 years from the first CE device to stream Netflix, and nothing else. Through a dedicated software update team they now offer up 300 channels of content. This has always made me respect the company and their offering, but it was never quite enough to get me to pick up a Roku. My 360 and PS3 were doing just fine. Throw in some games and update the hardware though? I'm sold!

Now to wait patiently. And shop for a 16GB MicroSD card to pop in to it.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal
NDA lifting in 3 - 4 hours time.

But, you can catch a glimpse of what Roku posted on their blog (and later took out) here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

I think the exciting thing about the Roku 2 is that it will be the second media streamer after PS3 to fully support Netflix 1080p + English subtitles + DDPlus 5.1 audio track.

Stay tuned for more coverage at 12:02 AM PST

Will the Roku2 have native resolution output? So 720P netflix will be output as 720P and 1080P Netflix will be output as 1080P.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh
So for Roku 2 itself, other than the addition of Bluetooth & ability to

play 'Angry Birds', anything exciting about it?
I don't see any mention of IR-receiver capability on Roku's product page or

the various previews. I'd like to have this for a Harmony (IR) remote.

Is it reasonable to assume it's RF only? Maybe I should try to order a current

model although Amazon's out of stock of the XD at the moment (and maybe

forever.)

#15 ·
They all have IR. It's on the product page. Also, the exciting part is to see where the community development goes with it. Maybe they will allow someone to build a DLNA client for it. Maybe they'll allow XBMC to be ported to it as an app. It depends on how strict they want to be, and if their licensing deals with content providers call for local streaming restrictions.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/20719546

They all have IR. It's on the product page.

After a couple of corrections here and a quick review, I find I was mistaken.

Quote:

Maybe they'll allow XBMC to be ported to it as an app.

That would be nice. I use (Windows') XBMC except for streaming.

Quote:

It depends on how strict they want to be, and if their licensing deals

with content providers call for local streaming restrictions.

If the box still runs Linux, they'll have to Tivoize it to prevent third-party

extensions.

#17 ·
"If the box still runs Linux, they'll have to Tivoize it to prevent third-party

extensions."

I'm not even referring to aftermarket modding of the device, but more about authorized 3rd party apps. I'm thinking along the lines of "Where does the game service go from here?". It's pretty obvious that Roku has had great luck building internal channels, growing the device from one streaming service to 300. They also seem to be eyeing what Apple is doing in their App Stores, and have started to emulate that with their initial handful of casual games. Ease of 3rd party development is also something that they are trumpeting with the release of Roku 2, I'd guess with the intention of selling 3rd party apps through their own version of an App Store.

So, the question is "What will they allow?". Will it be strictly regulated to games, will Roku allow productivity apps, will Roku's content licensing deals allow local network streaming apps, and do they want to allow those in their app store?

The 300 apps that they have right now justify it's purchase for me today, but I also see a lot of potential there that follows in line with Roku's track record thus far of extending a simple device as far as possible with great software support. If none of that potential is ever realized? That's fine. It will still be a great little streamer. Hopefully though, they build up a great little 3rd party app service, in turn giving Apple the kick in the pants they need to bring App Store ideas to the AppleTV, which will of course feed back in to the Roku.

#18 ·
I think I will stay with my XDS for now as the improvements aren't that well supported with streaming material yet. Also I paid money for the Playon software and I am guessing it's not transferable to another machine.

Maybe it's a 2012 buy for me
I do like my Roku.

#20 ·
I'll consider getting the Roku 2 for Netflix streaming if it has Native resolution output, so my external scaler/processor can do the work. Picture qulaity takes a big hit when I view Netflix from the PS3, Boxee Box and other players when they do the scaling. I typically use my TiVos for Netflix since they have Native resolution output. But I figure Roku will also give me access to some things that my other devices don't have.

Hopefully BestBuy will get them quickly. I have over $100 available in reward zone dollars so if I do get a Roku 2, my out of pocket cost will be zero.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myren /forum/post/20723268

The Roku 2 XS has a USB port for attaching storage to... is there any kind of sharing setup, so other systems on the network can read content off the Roku 2 XS?

I am going to assume not - you can't do that now, and I don't see the usb as much of anything other than a convenience for some users that you happen to have a thumb drive with stuff, and you stick it in and see whats on there.

You can always get a third party app and use your computer to stream content to the roku though (that's what I do - I keep my content on my main machine and can access it on the roku).

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi
http://support.roku.com/entries/2029...y-roku-player#

It appears the older Roku models can output 1080p/24, 1080p/30 while the Roku2 cannot. The wording there is a little unclear on what exactly they mean. Hopefully it will be cleared up.
What*****????

Quote:
.............NOTE: Only 1080p24 and 1080p30 playback is supported on non-Roku 2 player models. Also, 1080p is supported on video playback only, the Roku user interface will be displayed at 720p
That seems pretty clear. Although it makes no sense for the newer player not to support those.

#26 ·
"Only 1080p24 and 1080p30 playback is supported on non-Roku 2 player models."

You guys seem to be putting the word "only" in the wrong place in your reading comprehension.

This says "Old Roku doesn't do 1080p60". It doesn't say anything about which variants of 1080p the Roku 2 does aside from "1080p".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.