roku vs blu ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi, new to streaming whats the best for streaming netflix wireless, a blu ray player or roku, and if the blu ray wins can you tell me the best for less than $200, thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The new rokus offer a lot of value. If you are only interested in streaming it is likely a really prime option. But if you want BR capability too, I don't think it is worth getting a separate disc player in addition to the roku.

-Suntan
post #3 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Liked: 93
Do you care about discs? We can't answer that question for you.

Myself? I find discs to be a ridiculously quaint way to shuffle linear data around. Bluray is a format that initially came out a couple years too late, and was half-a-decade late by the time it became the default HD disc format. In the mean time, streaming has grown to amazing proportions, and has become dirt cheap. I don't subscribe to cable/sat and I don't buy discs but rarely. I do give Netflix, Hulu and Spotify $10 a month each and have access to media that I desperately want to watch, but there is so much that I couldn't possibly ever catch up on it.

If your internet connection is good, then join us on the streaming side. Things are advancing so rapidly over here.
post #4 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Problem is most streaming doesn't have the video and audio quality as Bluray. I find Netflix streaming useless and annoying for that very issue.

I'll stick with Bluray disc until streaming catches up to 2011.

As for a Bluray player for Netflix I have the Panasonic 210 no issues. But go to that thread and several people do have issues streaming Netflix.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

i have a blu ray player, i thought a blu ray with wifi might get a better netflix pic, guess i was wrong so i just ordered a roku2 xs.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post
Problem is most streaming doesn't have the video and audio quality as Bluray. I find Netflix streaming useless and annoying for that very issue.

I'll stick with Bluray disc until streaming catches up to 2011.

As for a Bluray player for Netflix I have the Panasonic 210 no issues. But go to that thread and several people do have issues streaming Netflix.
The new Roku 2 XD and XS boxes have an updated Netflix channel that provides 1080p streams with DD+ 5.1 pass-through and subtitles. My internet connection is not good enough for HD streaming, so I can't confirm the quality of the 1080p Netflix streams, but I'm guessing it's still probably not quite up to BD quality. It's definitely an improvement though.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Apple tv has the best interface for Netflix
post #8 of 24 Old 07-25-2011, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps70w View Post

The new Roku 2 XD and XS boxes have an updated Netflix channel that provides 1080p streams with DD+ 5.1 pass-through and subtitles. My internet connection is not good enough for HD streaming, so I can't confirm the quality of the 1080p Netflix streams, but I'm guessing it's still probably not quite up to BD quality. It's definitely an improvement though.

I just tried watching a movie in HD on Netflix with my BDT 210, black flickers and lousy pic. Streamed it MKV with my WDTV Live, great pic quality and sound, no issues. No not quite BD but beats Netflix crap. My internet is 60mb.

The Roku's are boxes I've been looking at but at this time I wouldn't purchase anything to stream except through my network.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-25-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The resolution is only part of the equation of video and audio quality. The bitrate is really the big factor. The MAX bitrate of NetFlix is 5Mbps. The AVERAGE bitrate for a blu-ray disk is 34Mbps. The NetFlix quality is lousy. Those that are happy with MP3 files though will probably be happy with NetFlix.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
His question is which unit has the superior Netflix streaming... not comparing streaming to Blu-ray. Streaming has a lot to offer however equalling or exceeding Blu-ray isn't one of them. My pick would be the Roku 2 as it does DD+ and appears to offer the same 1080p encodes as the PS3. Quality wise with most of the newer content they compare favorably with my OTA HD. With over 28,000 titles and a good chunk of them in HD you can watch instantly is one of those things it has to offer.

There is a place and time where each of them are superior. In the den content is King and in the theater presentation becomes equalling important.
post #11 of 24 Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

In the mean time, streaming has grown to amazing proportions, and has become dirt cheap.

Maybe for now but not for long. As popularity of the service increases all the entities on the value chain will want to cash in and get a bigger slice of the pie. Content costs for Netflix are about to sky-rocket as Hollywood recognizes there is money to be made in streaming their old stuff and renegotiates their license agreements -- this is already reflected in the new Netflix price plans as they can no longer afford to throw in free streaming with the disk rental subscriptions. And the big one coming down the track -- ISP's want to be paid for their delivery service and are steadily moving to a cell-phone model where you will pay by the GB for content delivery.

To the OP: If you are serious about Netflix streaming you don't want any box that doesn't have the latest v3 Netflix interface. That leaves out nearly all BD players. One of the cheapest boxes with the v3 interface is the WDTV Live + media streamer ($90 at NewEgg). It's also an excellent media streamer for ripped disks.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #12 of 24 Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 AM

I agree with a previous post. All Netflix devices are not created equal and Blu-Ray players are definately at the bottom of the list from what I've seen. I bougth a Panasonic Blu-Ray because it had Netflix streaming. Should have researched first. Ends up it will only display your Instant Queue. So I have to go to a computer, search or browse for movies I want, and add to the Queue, then return to teh DVD player to stream the movie. Takes a bit of the "instant" gradification out of it.

TLight
Master Seargent- TiVo Reserves

-----------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #13 of 24 Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlight View Post

I agree with a previous post. All Netflix devices are not created equal and Blu-Ray players are definately at the bottom of the list from what I've seen. I bougth a Panasonic Blu-Ray because it had Netflix streaming. Should have researched first. Ends up it will only display your Instant Queue. So I have to go to a computer, search or browse for movies I want, and add to the Queue, then return to teh DVD player to stream the movie. Takes a bit of the "instant" gradification out of it.

Ya I also bought the Panny 210 good thing I bought it for Bluray and upconverting DVD's cause it sucks at everything else. I'm not impressed with Neflix maybe in the future when I replace my WDTV Live and Netflix comes around to higher standards.

Instead of going to your computer why not search within the player and just play what you're looking for? Not instant but essentially the same as going to your computer.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Instead of going to your computer why not search within the player and just play what you're looking for? Not instant but essentially the same as going to your computer.

That's what the Netflix v3 interface is all about. Replace your WD Live with the WD Live+ and you get all that. You only need your PC once, to register the device with Netflix. After that, you can search Netflix for streaming content from the Live+, play it or add it to your Instant List, manage your Instant list, play the title in "HD" and/or 5.1 sound if it is available and your bandwidth is high enough. Netflix HD qualifies as HD-lite -- depending on your viewing standards, your display size/quality and your viewing arrangement it could look just fantastic or like crap.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #15 of 24 Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

That's what the Netflix v3 interface is all about. Replace your WD Live with the WD Live+ and you get all that. You only need your PC once, to register the device with Netflix. After that, you can search Netflix for streaming content from the Live+, play it or add it to your Instant List, manage your Instant list, play the title in "HD" and/or 5.1 sound if it is available and your bandwidth is high enough. Netflix HD qualifies as HD-lite -- depending on your viewing standards, your display size/quality and your viewing arrangement it could look just fantastic or like crap.

No I won't upgrade my WDTV just for Netflix. I have a 60mb internet so my bandwidth is high enough. On my 73" display Netflix either just looks bad or the audio sucks or both.

And the Panasonic Bluray players continue to have issues with Netflix.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No I won't upgrade my WDTV just for Netflix. I have a 60mb internet so my bandwidth is high enough. On my 73" display Netflix either just looks bad or the audio sucks or both.

And the Panasonic Bluray players continue to have issues with Netflix.

High bandwidth is not sufficient. The Panasonic players don't have the v3 interface. Without the v3 interface you don't get HD and you get only 2.0 audio -- and I can imagine what streaming SD looks like on a 73" DLP.

I don't know how much value you have for Netflix streaming. I'm just going by what you wrote above
Quote:

maybe in the future when I replace my WDTV Live and Netflix comes around to higher standards.

Netflix is at higher standards with a v3 box. If you have value for Netflix streaming and want it to look decent on a 73" display, you should consider upgrading to a v3 box "in the future".

- kelson h

post #17 of 24 Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

High bandwidth is not sufficient. The Panasonic players don't have the v3 interface. Without the v3 interface you don't get HD and you get only 2.0 audio -- and I can imagine what streaming SD looks like on a 73" DLP.

I don't know how much value you have for Netflix streaming. I'm just going by what you wrote above Netflix is at higher standards with a v3 box. If you have value for Netflix streaming and want it to look decent on a 73" display, you should consider upgrading to a v3 box "in the future".

Not true the Panasonic does play in HD and 5.1 audio, maybe not at the highest bitrate. And it has the v3 interface.

My display does a pretty good job of upconverting SD it's quite watchable, the worst I watch is OTA HD which looks as good or better than Netflix HD the exception has been Spartucas it actually looked HD strange but that's been my experience.
post #18 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not true the Panasonic does play in HD and 5.1 audio, maybe not at the highest bitrate. And it has the v3 interface.

You have me confused. I don't have the Panasonic player so I was going by what you were writing and from what you wrote it sounded like you could not do the Instant Queue management functions with the Panasonic which would mean it doesn't have the v3 interface.

Now you say it does, so I'm confused and am just going to back out of this conversation.

- kelson h

post #19 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Because the Panasonic BluRay version of the Netflix interface (at least my Panasonic bought last year) only displays your instant queue. There is no search or browse function at all....

TLight
Master Seargent- TiVo Reserves

-----------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #20 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Because the Panasonic BluRay version of the Netflix interface (at least my Panasonic bought last year) only displays your instant queue. There is no search or browse function at all....
The new models have version 3 so the search and browse function is there. Didn't know the older models didn't have search.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the WD Live + have the same Netflix experience as the new Roku 2? I know it has the 5.1 audio. Does it also have the adaptive steaming that the Roku 2 and PS3 have?
post #22 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

Does the WD Live + have the same Netflix experience as the new Roku 2? I know it has the 5.1 audio. Does it also have the adaptive steaming that the Roku 2 and PS3 have?

Without comparing actual bandwidth used I don't think you can tell for sure. It's still not proven the Roku 2 does... but Michael has one coming (and should test accordingly).
post #23 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Ends up it will only display your Instant Queue. So I have to go to a computer, search or browse for movies I want, and add to the Queue, then return to teh DVD player to stream the movie. Takes a bit of the "instant" gradification out of it.

My sammy BR player does have a netflix search capability, but I don't use it, because, man, I don't know how u people use the 10-key pad to enter text. On a cell I guess I have no choice, but in this case I much prefer to open my laptop, do it the easy way (to me), to populate my queue.
post #24 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:

I don't know how much value you have for Netflix streaming. I'm just going by what you wrote above Netflix is at higher standards with a v3 box. If you have value for Netflix streaming and want it to look decent on a 73" display, you should consider upgrading to a v3 box "in the future".

There are plenty of device that only do stereo audio but still display 720P Netflix HD streams.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming